Tiny Texas Houses: Pure Salvage Building

by hookedonhouses on August 25, 2011

Tiny houses are fun to look at because they’re kind of like playhouses for grownups. Not only that, but the people who live in them inspire me to simplify my own life. The truth is that I really don’t need so much space–or so much stuff. When I saw Tiny Texas Houses mentioned in Country Living magazine recently, I had to check them out.

Pure salvage building is how they describe their mission is to build energy-efficient tiny houses that are “unique pieces of house art.” Everything from the doors to the porch posts has been recycled from old buildings, and the results are pretty amazing.

This white house, for example, was built for use as a guest cottage. “The classic tall vertical split sash windows were circa 1890s and most still had their original wavy glass.” Love it.

They call this 12′ x 26′ house “The Painted Lady” because they used 6 colors of paint on the exterior. This is the playhouse I wanted when I was growing up! (Okay, still do.)

The Canyon Lake house is a 12′ x 20′ gingerbread cottage:

The houses start around $35,000 but can go up to $75,000, depending on the size and materials used. Each house is unique and the designs are inspired by the salvaged parts and pieces.

This one’s being used by a bed & breakfast in Texas. How fun would it be to stay here?

It has a rounded-loft bedroom:

And a pretty nice tub, too:

The Bastrop is a 12′ x 28′ house where a young couple and their 3-year old son live full time:

When these photos were taken, it was decorated for Christmas. They have two separate bedroom lofts and another bed downstairs.

There’s a great little bed nook:

This house has both a front porch and a back porch that’s screened in.

Do you have a favorite? The white guest cottage is calling my name. For more photos and information, visit Tiny Texas Houses.

Hooked on Small Houses?

Luciane at Homebunch.com August 25, 2011 at 7:14 am

The third one looks like a doll house! I love it!!! How sweet!

I love when you find unique places like these. They’re always so interesting to see!

Have a Blessed day!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Jennifer Davenport August 25, 2011 at 7:16 am

I never visit your website when I am not intrigued by the unique homes you find to show us! Gorgeous!!!

Lisa August 25, 2011 at 7:22 am

Would love to have one of these by the beach or lake as encouragement to get out and enjoy the scenery!

Brandon @ Southgate August 25, 2011 at 7:46 am

These are all just wonderful! I keep thinking of building one of these small little houses for myself somewhere as a getaway. Can’t you imagine just curling up in one of them on a rainy day with a good book?

Amanda @ Serenity Now August 25, 2011 at 7:55 am

I’d love to stay in one of those as a B&B type thing. Those people know what they’re doing! I don’t think I could live in such a small space full-time, but I think they are really neat to look at!

Love Where You Live August 25, 2011 at 8:26 am

Sometimes, it’s true, good things come in small packages.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints August 25, 2011 at 8:32 am

yep the white one is super cute. not sure if i could live in a space that small. i’m a tad claustrophobic.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... August 25, 2011 at 8:33 am

While I love them (the concept, the price, the style) I think I would have to see one in person to get a feel for weather or not I could live in it. I like my space.

I would however LOVE one as a vacation home.

threadbndr August 25, 2011 at 8:34 am

Wow, so cute! And smaller than some people’s garage!

Erin August 25, 2011 at 8:48 am

Very cute. I love the white cottage (bright and airy), but I especially love that rustic little one you pictured up top: that porch, those rockers, that tub, and let’s be honest, that Spanish moss! Perfect for a little weekend get-away!

Carol August 25, 2011 at 9:42 am

There are so many great homes out there that are affordable and fall some where between the McMansions and the lilliputians. I just cant imagine anyone being excited about climbing down that tiny, narrow ladder at three in the morning to take a pee.

TerritoryMom August 25, 2011 at 10:26 am

I love them all!!!

Heather August 25, 2011 at 11:41 am

wanted to share this with you, from one of my favorite “mommy” blogs!
thought about HOH when I read this! so true!

Spring August 25, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Oh I love those.

js August 25, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Original wavy glass? Was it wavy when it was new? I was told that the glass became wavy over time because glass never really becomes completely solid and over time heat and gravity cause it to move. Maybe I was fed a line!

brad August 26, 2011 at 12:07 am

Actually the glass was wavy when it was made. Prior to the early 1900′s glass was made by blowing big long bubbled in a pit from molten globs of glass then placing the bubbles on a table, cutting off the top and bottom and splitting the sides, then pressing it out flat. The striations in the glass from being blown, and the bubbles are original to the glass.
The other point though is that glass is a liquid that freezes at a high temperature thus it is possible for it to warp, change shape and thicken at the bottom over decades, and be reshaped when heated.
Hope that helps answer the question of the wavy glass. Yes, in many cases it is what was in the sash before we refurbished them. Thanks for talking about our houses. Hope you get to visit our site and enter the contest.

maria August 26, 2011 at 3:51 am

Sorry Brad, I can’t let the urban myth that ‘glass flows’ pass me by. So many people believe this, but it’s just not true. Take a look at this http://www.glassnotes.com/WindowPanes.html for more evidence.

Sunny August 25, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Don’t see any AC units…

Here in TX, we have had a high of over 100 for a couple months!

Kim August 25, 2011 at 12:46 pm

As a guest house, these homes would be fun to have and these are those type of places that I would love to stay in for fun.

To tell you the truth, I could never live in a house this small. There’s no space and privacy where I can go and be by myself. I would feel like I’m all cooped up.

Jenny August 25, 2011 at 1:51 pm

The Painted Lady house is cute and perfect for a playhouse. I guess the only thing I would be concerned with is the amount of lead in the old materials.

Allison August 25, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I like the white one also…
Can you imagine having one of these on your property???
It would be perfect for a studio or a big play house for the kids or for me that would mean grandkids…

Bre August 25, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Wow! These tiny houses are so adorable and sweet! Not sure if I could ever live in one, my boyfriend is much too tall, but it would be really cool to rent one or try the B&B option. It is amazing to see the functionality of small spaces like these.

Karena August 25, 2011 at 7:32 pm

They are all adorable!! Great green building!!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

LouAnn/ciaotraveler.blogspot.com August 25, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Makes me wish I’d kept my mountain cabin which was perfect for two or four people!

Lesley @ The Design File August 25, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I LOVE these. The Bastrop is my favorite. I am also completely fascinated by these tiny houses and the people who live in them. I think it would feel so good to live so simply…and yet I love all my stuff.

Wouldn’t one of these make an amazing little guest house?

Lori-Anne August 25, 2011 at 11:21 pm

While I admit that I do “need” more space and more stuff in it than these places offer, I do think it would be absolutely marvy to stay in a little B&B like that for even a few weeks. So cute!!

Nita August 25, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Yes, I have seen A/C units sticking out of the sides of these, and they are built how you like them, so if you want A/C, you would get it. I love them all.

Nita August 25, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Ladies, if you want to win one of these lovely tiny Texas homes for yourself, there is a 3o0 word essay contest that you can enter. It costs just $50 to enter at: http://tinytexashouses.com/?page_id=131

I would love to win, but the more, the merrier!!! The one that will be rewarded is a two-story 12×12 with sleeping loft above, living area, kitchen and bath with shower and front porch.

elz August 26, 2011 at 2:10 pm

We see some of their houses near the interstate by our ranch property. I’ve often wondered how much it would cost to put one at our property-the cabin out there is “rustic.”

Nathan August 28, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Cute!! I’d rather live there than in my apartment…

Linda October 21, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I just LOVE this concept. I would like to see an entire small community of these, and have minimal number of stores and restaurants . Where can I ge pricing info ?

hookedonhouses October 21, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Follow the link to their site for more information.

jean June 16, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I have the website on my favorites. I love everything they do. These pictures are so inspiring thanks for sharing