Elias Cottage: A New House Built With Old Charm

by hookedonhouses on March 24, 2011

I love it when I see people building new houses that have the charm and thoughtful details of older homes, so I was excited to see photos of Chapman Architecture’s work in Georgia. This is one of my favorite houses in Chapman’s portfolio, called Elias Cottage, and I think it blends the best of the old with the new.

I like Clay Chapman’s approach to design. He says, “The product of our efforts must withstand trend and fashion and be held with deep affection from generation to generation.”

~

I’d love to have a row of windows over my kitchen sink like these:

Some rooms are lighter, like this bedroom, which has painted woodwork instead of stained:

I have never been a big fan of red brick inside houses, personally (it’s too dark for me), but if you look through his portfolio, you can see that he does some really interesting things with it.  This fireplace, for example, looks big enough that you could sit inside the hearth:

It would be fun to see how it looks after the owners have moved in.

You can read more about Chapman Architecture and see the rest of the photos of Elias Cottage on their website.  I originally heard about them thanks to a post on Willow Decor about the Pierce/Lee House, an amazing brick house that you should take a look at!

P.S. You might like this one, too: It Only Looks Old! The Southern Living Showcase Home.

Maaike Quinn @ Life with FlyLady March 24, 2011 at 7:53 am

Julia, I love that too! I never get why most new houses look so plain. For example, the room in the fifth picture is great! I love all those corners. Modern houses just don’t have that anymore! Well, not the Dutch ones anyway.

And look at that small door in that room! I am so curious! If I was a little girl and this would be my room, then I’d hid that door and it would be my secret place. Gorgeous!

T. March 24, 2011 at 8:00 am

I have a small door just like this in my bedroom, leading to attic space. I don’t let my children go in the attic, though, as it’s teeny, with exposed insulation.

Rachel March 24, 2011 at 7:54 am

That might be a bit much for me in the living room but otherwise I LOVE it.

Jane March 24, 2011 at 7:56 am

I love that fireplace inglenook! After the winter we’ve had I could imagine I would practically be living in it. Love all the nooks and crannies. I think that’s what’s missing in most new architecture.

T. March 24, 2011 at 7:58 am

Oh my gosh, someone is still building them like they used to! I love this house! It is exactly what I love. I have a series case of the wants right now. I am also pleased to see that there is a lot of stained wood in this home. I think painted white trim, while it looks nice, is way over rated.

shelly joseph March 24, 2011 at 1:15 pm

my first thought when I saw these gorgeous pics was I WANT IT!

IAMSNWFLAKE March 24, 2011 at 7:59 am

Love those fireplaces and all the windows. However, all the windows seem to leave you with little or no wall space at all to place furniture or hang pictures/art.

Sally March 24, 2011 at 8:02 am

I love this! It looks like a Mary Englebreit drawing! Compare your first photo (outside of house) to this: http://www.helloandgoodbuy.com/collectibles/public/product.asp?ProductID=11971&CollectionID=76&CategoryID=1044&ManufacturerID=5 =)

Mel Mel March 24, 2011 at 8:03 am

What a gorgeous home! You see so many of the cracker box type housing developments that it’s nice to know there are still some real craftsmen out there!

MissCaron March 24, 2011 at 8:03 am

GORGEOUS. I love the sit-in hearth. Reminds me of FLW designs… gotta love craftsman style…

Kathleen Ellis March 24, 2011 at 8:04 am

Beautiful details! A bit dark for my taste but I can envision it in a lighter version!
Thanks for sharing, Julia!
Have a beautiful day~
;-D Kathleen

Beth March 24, 2011 at 8:05 am

This may be the best house you’ve ever featured. Love, love, love it.

Kim-HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs March 24, 2011 at 8:06 am

What a beautiful home…LOVE it!

Emily@remodelingthislife March 24, 2011 at 8:06 am

Love it!!!

Lindsey March 24, 2011 at 8:07 am

Love it! I’ve actually been looking for a photo of a house with painted trim and stained doors, as we are in the process of remodeling. I have decided to definitely paint my trim and keep our doors stained! Thanks for sharing! :)

Janell Beals March 24, 2011 at 8:07 am

I love to see new homes that are built like this…so many homes are just thrown up with little care to detail and you know they won’t look good for long. Simply beautiful. Janell

Kathy Strader March 24, 2011 at 8:10 am

I’m with you, I’d like to see it with furniture.

Rick March 24, 2011 at 8:14 am

Julia,
I love all the details. The beamed ceilings, there is brick and it is given a varied/textured treatment, not flat massiveness. Many windows on all sides of the house and varied sizes. Trasome windows over inside doors. wide door/window casing, tall baseboards and crown moldings all add interest.
This is where Sara Susanka says decrease square footage, and spend the money on craftsmanship and detail. Many times cozy with detail is better than tall, wide and plain.

Rick

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints March 24, 2011 at 8:20 am

My Honey would LOVE this home. He’s a big fan of mission style and it seemed to have several of those elements. It’s very textural. Just beautiful.

karen ho fatt March 24, 2011 at 8:31 am

This style of vernacular architecture-’Crafstman style’ never grows old- it is a classic that stands the test of time and epitomizes what we call ‘home’. The balance of textures , materials and detailing always makes it a winner- if done well of course.

Always loved inglenook fireplaces- a classic English architectural feature utilized here.

Adding the furniture to this will make it come to life- a jewel of a home.

Jenny@Evolution of Style March 24, 2011 at 8:33 am

What a refreshing change from all of the “cookie cutter” new homes that you see sprouting up all over the place. I totally love this and wish this was a trend that was taking hold in more areas. What sort of history are we leaving our children with all of the widespread crappy construction?!?

sandi March 24, 2011 at 8:34 am

I would set pans of yeast rolls to rise on the hearth!

Mom in High Heels March 24, 2011 at 8:43 am

That is gorgeous! I love homes with character and what a “best of both worlds” situation to have a new home with old characteristics.

Ricki Jill Treleaven March 24, 2011 at 8:45 am

I love inglenook fireplaces!!! I live in the South, so we really don’t *need* one, but I still love them! This house is neat!

Trish @TheOldPostRoad March 24, 2011 at 8:46 am

Preserving the surrounding trees also helped the house look “established.”
-Trish

Kelly March 24, 2011 at 9:04 am

Love this! I love the idea of owning a bungalow, but not the maintenance that goes with an older home!!!! I live in GA, so thanks for the tip!! Also, I love your blog!

Lizzy March 24, 2011 at 9:06 am

Sorry, I don’t get it. Not a fan of 3 different exteriors, siding, shingles and brick. The huge brick fireplace makes me shudder and this house would be a nightmare for furniture placement. What style is it supposed to be? Looks bungalowish/craftsman but then the fireplace throws that all off. I can appreciate the “idea” of a new old house, but this one doesn’t do it for me.

Lisa Mackin March 24, 2011 at 9:13 am

What a gorgeous little home!

Luciane at Homebunch.com March 24, 2011 at 9:39 am

Good Morning, Julia!

Oh, my!!! This is great! I’m a huge fan of great architecture and this home features amazing details. This is a really charming and cozy place I’d be happy to call it “home”. Just beautiful!

I hope you’re having a Wonderful Day!!!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Kristin@Kristin Drohan Interior Design March 24, 2011 at 9:51 am

Lovely, I’d love to decorate it.

Ivy @ Remodel Twin Cities March 24, 2011 at 9:51 am

Angled walls, huge baseboards, old world charm… Love! If I have a choice, I always choose an older home to remodel. They have a special place in my heart. Thanks for finding this new/old home for us to see.

melissa @ the inspired room March 24, 2011 at 9:52 am

Oh, I agree Julia! That is great to see!!

ShabbyChick March 24, 2011 at 10:06 am

Lovely. Just lovely.

Mary Kay Andrews March 24, 2011 at 10:08 am

Hey–that house is right down the street from me! Thanks for giving us the cool peek inside. Us house voyeurs gotta have our peeks.

April March 24, 2011 at 10:39 am

I just looked through the portfolio…. He is a ROCK STAR!

Feng Shui By Fishgirl March 24, 2011 at 10:52 am

This looks like a quality home built to last. How great that you can have that old home look but not have to deal with the reno, bugs, draftiness, etc! That’s good feng shui :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now March 24, 2011 at 11:30 am

So much character for a new house! :) Love the moldings, the windows, the countertop space. My hubs would love all that brick…I prefer it painted…but it looks very homey!

Debbie March 24, 2011 at 11:32 am

I love this house. I have always wondered if it is acceptable to paint woodwork in one room and not others? I’ve always thought it had to be a continual throughout. I have been contemplating painting our master bedroom and bath woodwork. The rest of the house would be a monumental amount of work … very high windows ect. What do you think?

T. March 24, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Hey, it’s y0ur house, do what you like! My house has some rooms with painted trim (kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms), but the rest is stained trim.

Janet Doherty March 24, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I absolutely love this house!!!! Craftmanship returns!!!

Bre March 24, 2011 at 12:29 pm

This is such a beautiful home! I love the wood, the arch ways, the brick, and that fireplace is gorgeous! I love all the little details that truly make this house stand out. I’ll have to check out the rest of his work, I certainly love this house, and I love his design approach.

Nita@ModVintageLife.com March 24, 2011 at 12:47 pm

This is amazing!!!! All his work is. You just don’t see architecture being done like that now a days. The brick work is over the moon. Usually, when you see homes that are suppose to be in the style of vintage homes…they look like new house plans with some brick a brack stuck on. These look vintage and more. They are totally original. I too am not a fan of lots of brick inside but these homes could change my mind. They are just so amazing. I loved going through his website.

Carolyn March 24, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Good golly! What amazing craftsmanship. The brickwork is exceptional. I had seen that other brick house on Willow Decor which is pretty phenomenal as well. I wonder how the interior design will balance all that weight of the massive fireplace/inglenook? Very masculine. Wonder where the TV will go -LOL (maybe there’s a place for it not shown in the photos). I hope his brick supplier is using these pictures in their marketing!

shelly joseph March 24, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Awww my People..
Soooo I’m not the only one.. I was beginning to think I was crazy. But so many comments about houses just being plain boxes these days (with nice counter tops) .. I miss the flair and character that this house has in spades.. :-)

Cindy March 24, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Thanks for letting us see that. I love what he is doing. It really looks like that house has been around for a long time.

Kim March 24, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Beautiful house! I love the bungalow/craftsman styled homes. The only thing I don’t like about the house, is the fireplace. I don’t like brick unless it’s inside a wood mantel. Other than that, I love the house.

I miss the days when they made houses with character, made to last a long time. These days they make those ugly box houses that won’t last 20 years. Like Quadrant homes. That’s why if I ever buy a house, I am going to by an older one that’s in great shape and has character.

Carol M March 24, 2011 at 2:38 pm

My dream home would be one that has all the style and character of an old house with the conveniences of a new one. This one would certainly fit the bill. Just beautiful.

Loribeth March 24, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I love it!!! I mean, I really, really love it!!! I could live there!

Ann March 24, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I can’t imagine the cost of that detailed brickwork. That requires time and great skill.

anna see March 24, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I love a house w/ character. Alas, my 1969 split level has none.

Krissy March 24, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I love all the detail, especially the brickwork. I wish more new houses were made with such style and personality. Most houses these day have no personality.

cbean March 24, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Oh my…if it’s this lovely empty, what would it be like with furniture, drapes and artwork?

Sigh…

Jano March 24, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Well, if the house wasn’t fantastic enough, that it is a walk-out put it over the top for me. So often, drive-under garages look clumsy but the house is terrifically well designed for the site.

The fireplace with the inglenook is actually on the lower level, which is probably a much larger space. There is a smaller scale one in the living room. It would be nice to see the floor plans.

Amy N. Withers March 24, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Wow! I am so madly in love with this house! Thanks for posting it! My hubby is an architect, and this inspires me to push him on designing us a New “Old” House!

Lisa T. March 24, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Wow!!! Just spent the past 15 min drooling over his website. Spectacular spaces. Had to drag my husband away from hoops to look at it too. Just love it, love it , love it, want more of it!

Holly March 24, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I used to always want an old house. Then I realized that I would only want an old house if somebody had already done all the work it would need. Something like this would be perfect! I love it! The fireplace is a little hefty for my taste, but if the extra “wings” of brick on either side were not there, I like the fireplace itself.
I also like the windows over the sink, but I can tell from the height of the countertop that I am not tall enough to be able to see out of them!

Destiny March 24, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I too am a fan of Clay Chapman’s and I adore his style and choices. When we lived in New England, we lived in an almost 100 year old home that was full of character. I grieved that house, our home in the country, for years after we moved, missing it almost every day. I am finally, nine years later, making peace with my little, run-of-the-mill, suburbian, subdivsion house.

With that said, this post set me back emotionally, Julia. I, too, live in the Atlanta area these days, but not in one of these houses…

Repeat to self: I am at grateful for my little house and my big life…

Wendy March 24, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Wow! I mean wow! What he’s doing with building is really special. I would almost move to Georgia to live in one of these houses. I spent an hour looking through that site and it left me feeling inspired and exhilarated. And Clay and the building crews are hot too!

Heather Collins March 25, 2011 at 8:19 am

LOVE. THIS. HOUSE.
And, I love how “charm” no longer has to mean chipping paint and disintegrating mortar!

Nichole@40daysof March 25, 2011 at 8:33 am

I don’t know how I missed this yesterday. Love this house! I’ve never seen an inglenook done entirely out of brick. Very interesting.

Ann March 25, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Gosh, I love this house!

Cheri @ I Heart Old Houses March 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I’m a little late to the party here, but I’ve got to say I love, love, love this house. It somehow blends everything I like about Craftsmans, Tudors, and just classic architecture in general. I’m definitely adding it – and Clay Chapman – to my “dream house” file. So glad I scrolled down to see what I missed yesterday :)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy March 25, 2011 at 11:49 pm

What an adorable place!

sarah macklem March 26, 2011 at 6:12 am

Julia, thanks for sharing. I loved this house so much I passed it along on my Facebook page.

Jared March 26, 2011 at 10:36 am

Clay Chapman is my new favorite architect.

HollyM March 26, 2011 at 11:42 am

I took one look at the outside of this cottage, and I was a goner! Absolutely, without a doubt, the most interesting new construction I’ve seen. . . ever. So many of the older (1900-1930) houses that this style emulates have been gutted of their personality and original features. How wonderful that someone is building something besides “The Ubiquitous House” we see all over America.

Kristina March 26, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Gorgeous!

Willow Decor March 31, 2011 at 5:01 am

Thanks so very much for the call out. I have been away from blogging for the week and I am just catching up! Chapman really is so talented!
xx-Gina

michelle gregson April 1, 2011 at 6:08 am

i love from the moment i see it,its amazeing it would be great to move in with my five children. but that would neaver happen as i can just about a ford paying the rent on a coucil house . but no harm looking wow.

Dava March 12, 2012 at 11:07 pm

This house is so warm and delicious, I could eat it. That said, I felt someone should write something quick – couldn’t bare to see this nice chain of normal, intelligent comments ending with some guy named “Water Removal” writing – NO MEEEEE LLLLOOOORRRESSSSS!!!

hookedonhouses March 13, 2012 at 8:05 am

Ha! I should have deleted that one, but it slipped through. It’s gone now! Thanks, Dava. :-)

Dava March 18, 2012 at 11:11 pm

I always got your back, Julia.

{ 1 trackback }