Front Porch Love

by hookedonhouses on November 24, 2009

gray-picket-fence-annapolis

I have what some might consider a slight obsession with porches. I photograph them wherever I go. Seriously. I make my husband pull over when I spot a good one so I can roll down the window and snap a picture. Here are some of my favorites that I photographed over the last year.

Remember my post about the Storybook Gardener’s Cottage? A few of these homes were taken in that same neighborhood in Ohio.

I like the yellow rocking chairs on this porch:

This was a new home built to blend into an older neighborhood:

After I posted a photo this house (below) earlier this year, I got an e-mail from a woman who said she grew up in there.  She said she was thrilled to see that it seems to be so well-cared for by its current owners:

You can peek inside some beautiful old houses from this old neighborhood here.

pale green house-front porch

Did you miss my tour of this yellow three-story home (below)? You can see it here:

You can take a tour of this pink painted lady here.

Do you have any favorites?

I hope you enjoyed this tour of some of my favorite front porches (all photos taken by moi). Want more? Check out one of my very first blog posts from the archives: In Praise of Porches.

floor plan-farmhouse porchP.S. Love the big front porches on older homes? The Plan Collection website features dozens of historic house plans so you can build a new house that has all the charm and character of one that’s been around a lot longer.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions November 24, 2009 at 9:03 am

I love them all, Julia. I have always loved front porches on a house ~ I’ve never had one, but I love them.

Robin November 24, 2009 at 9:13 am

Love those beautiful wrap-around porches – I’ve always wanted a house with one! I think I’m in love with the yellow house in your second picture – I’m a sucker for hanging ferns too!
.-= Robin´s last blog ..Mmmm, cranberry sauce! =-.

Janet November 24, 2009 at 9:23 am

Fabulous photos Julia, really!! I love them all, but what I REALLY appreciate are the people who build new construction to blend in with the existing architecture. If you have to build new that’s the way it sould be done. I can’t pick an absolute favorite, I love them all!
.-= Janet´s last blog ..Wall Envy =-.

Kirsten November 24, 2009 at 9:26 am

When we had to leave our sweet cottage in England to ‘cross the pond’ I remember promising my husband that we’d find a house with a front porch to rock on. And we did! The rest of a house was a renovation nightmare, but the front porch welcomed us from the first minute we laid eyes on the house, and let us know we could make a home there. We spent most of our first summer out on the porch, ignoring the disasters indoors!
.-= Kirsten´s last blog ..Jet Age Glamour =-.

Fighting Windmills November 24, 2009 at 9:41 am

Thank you for sharing these pretty pictures! I need to get some outdoor furniture for our front porch. I’m thinking about those yellow rocking chairs!
.-= Fighting Windmills´s last blog ..Blowing Raspberries =-.

black eyed susans kitchen November 24, 2009 at 9:42 am

Ah, front porch love…growing up in suburban Long Island, we had a large front porch that I used to play on with my friends…mostly with our Barbie dolls. It was like an extra room in the house. Living in the city as a young adult, we would seek out the stoop for fresh air and social interaction. As adults with our own house and family, the front porch has become a sanctuary. A place to decorate for seasons and holidays and an outdoor room to welcome company. It is one of the favorite spaces to our home. The photo’s that you have in this post, Julia are wonderful….clearly everyone loves their front porch.
Susan
.-= black eyed susans kitchen´s last blog ..BLACK AND WHITE AND SILVERWARE ALLOVER =-.

Christi at A Southern Life November 24, 2009 at 10:11 am

I love porches too! I did a post about them back sometime in the spring or early summer. Will have to go back and check that out!
.-= Christi at A Southern Life´s last blog ..Southern Thanksgiving Tips =-.

Stephanie November 24, 2009 at 11:17 am

OMG…i am obsessed with wrapped around porches!
Great post Julia~
.-= Stephanie´s last blog ..so thankful , so many things…. what are you thankful for? =-.

Lisa Itatani November 24, 2009 at 11:21 am

I so have porch envy!!! I wanted one add to our house be there wasn’t enough room because of our small lot and zoning laws.

Great post!!!!
.-= Lisa Itatani´s last blog ..CAS – Make a Stack – Part three =-.

Aunt Amelia November 24, 2009 at 11:26 am

Oh me too! Love porches!

Thank you for the lovely photos and for the link to house plans. We won’t be building, but there’s not much I like more, than [even] looking at house plans. ;-)))))))

Happy Thanksgiving!

Aunt Amelia
.-= Aunt Amelia´s last blog ..It rockkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkks!!! =-.

Kate November 24, 2009 at 11:27 am

I grew up in Cincy & these kind of posts always make me homesick but they also make me smile. Thank you!

Chloe & Co. November 24, 2009 at 11:45 am

The second house you showed is so lovely (they all are actually!). Our wrap-around front porch is my favorite part of our house.
.-= Chloe & Co.´s last blog ..Aimee’s Home Tour, Dining Room =-.

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger November 24, 2009 at 11:51 am

Someday, someday, I’ll have a porch!
.-= the BLAH BLAH BLAHger´s last blog ..Taco Salad Salvation =-.

becky November 24, 2009 at 11:56 am

Porches! There is nothing better than a rocking chair on the porch to watch the world go by. Unless, it is sitting on the steps!

Norma November 24, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Hi Julia, what beautiful homes with the porches. We had an older home that needed a porch on the front. We built the porch a few years ago and we just loved it. Alot of people were always taking pictures of it. We’ve now sold the home, and I really do miss that old home, there’s something about an old Victorian style porch that everyone seems to love. Thanks Julia.

Ironygirl November 24, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Love, love, LOVE these! Thank you for posting them. I really enjoy your site- I think we have similar taste in houses.

Jacki November 24, 2009 at 1:55 pm

I love porches too!! That was so much fun!

Btw, after my college-age daughter and I watched Home Alone, and I emailed with you about that, I sent her your reply about your post on that house. She loved seeing your post too!

Thanks, Jacki
.-= Jacki´s last blog ..Garage Sale Treasure and Tagged =-.

Susan S November 24, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Wow, you ARE obsessed!! But how wonderful that you’ve shared with us!!

THANK YOU!

Sunshine November 24, 2009 at 2:13 pm

I too, am in love with porches! What a great post! Thanks for sharing that!
.-= Sunshine´s last blog ..Living Rooms & Baths =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now November 24, 2009 at 3:02 pm

After seeing all these gorgeous photos, I can see how easy it would be to form an obsession!! Too many beautiful porches to choose from. :)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Pumpkin, and Spice, and Everything Nice =-.

Kim November 24, 2009 at 3:03 pm

I love porches. The house that appealed to me the most is the second one. I love porches with railing.

Sarah @ Dream In Domestic November 24, 2009 at 4:07 pm

I love each and every one of these! Porches make a house look so much more home-y! I can’t wait to have a house of my own one day. I hope it has a porch and is an old home. Thanks for all the inspiration!
.-= Sarah @ Dream In Domestic´s last blog ..A Custom Way To Display Your Photos and Jewelry =-.

Meg November 24, 2009 at 4:17 pm

What beautiful homes -all with tremendous curb appeal. I think my house may sense my wandering eye. I better show her some love. Thanks for the eye candy.

Paula Grace November 24, 2009 at 4:49 pm

I love front porches. I have always wanted to have one. Maybe someday. It seems the art of meeting your neighbors by congregating on the front porch is gone. I would love to see that come back.
.-= Paula Grace´s last blog ..Dixie Chick Chic =-.

Liz@VioletPosy November 24, 2009 at 5:20 pm

We don’t have porches in the UK which is such a shame I love them to bits. Thanks for all the lovely images they made my evening :)
.-= Liz@VioletPosy´s last blog ..Decluttering for Christmas =-.

Vicki November 24, 2009 at 7:02 pm

I LOVE PORCHES TOO!!!! I especially love the 2nd house pictured, the big yellow house. It is simply beautiful! Thanks for sharing these great pics. =)
.-= Vicki´s last blog ..Thanksgiving Week! =-.

desiree November 24, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Those are gorgeous front porches. My front porch is constantly littered with skateboards, roller blades, bikes, ripsticks, razors and long boards….did I forget any other teenage mode of transportation??? oh well, one day the porch will be MINE!
.-= desiree´s last blog ..Heather Bullard Modern Vintage Finds =-.

greenie November 24, 2009 at 9:01 pm

You’ve got quite an eye (and fixation) for porches I see! :-) Love them all!
Growing up, I never lived in a house with a front porch like any of these. I guess it was something my parents weren’t interested in or ever thought about. Maybe they never grew up with them either. Mmmm…I wonder if you can separate people into “porch people” and “non-porch people”?

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner November 24, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Love these homes and their porches! You don’t get to see that kind of character everywhere. Thanks for sharing!
.-= Amanda @ Little House on the Corner´s last blog ..Flashback: Well, how about that? =-.

Gigi November 24, 2009 at 9:53 pm

I absolutely love porches too! The 2nd photo (yellow house) makes me weak!
.-= Gigi´s last blog ..My very first award =-.

a-m November 24, 2009 at 10:35 pm

I am a sucker for a gorgeous front porch. A front porch was on the top of my list in the design of my home. I think a porch sets the tone for a welcoming home. Love all your images…… the perfect post! A-M xx
.-= a-m´s last blog ..Perfect Porch =-.

E. George November 24, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Hi Julia – must tell you I love them all and I know my husband will love them all too they are all so different and beautiful. Well I’ve done my eye exercise for today thanks to you as always you never let us home lovers down you give us plenty of ideas you are a gem. Regards from downunder..

condo blues November 24, 2009 at 11:13 pm

When we were house hunting I was nonplussed about having a front porch. Not any more I love our front porch and that my neighborhood was designed for everyone to hang out on our front porches instead of being closed off from everyone in the backyard. I love being able to say hi when walking the dog past the neighbor’s house.
.-= condo blues´s last blog ..Habitat Restore Treasure Hunt =-.

Shannon November 25, 2009 at 12:28 am

Gorgeous houses with beautiful porches!
.-= Shannon´s last blog ..Never Listen to What I Say =-.

Things That Inspire November 25, 2009 at 5:55 am

Have you ever visited Charleston? You would be in heaven. Many of the classic homes have side porches, designed to catch the cross currents in the sweltering days before air conditioning. From what I understand, the upstairs had the side porches too and they used them as sleeping porches in the summer. Charleston is truly one of the most charming small cities in the US!
.-= Things That Inspire´s last blog ..The Brickmaker’s Table =-.

Vicki November 25, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Before my husband passed away, he would say, “I’m going to build you a front porch. We may not be able to afford a house to attach it to, but you WILL have a porch.” I think he would love the house with the porch that I have now.

laura @ the shorehouse November 27, 2009 at 2:44 am

Can you imagine that you got an email from someone who grew up in a house you blogged about?! That is so cool, really.

I love me a house with a porch, so I couldn’t possibly play favorites here. Though the aforementioned is amazing (I also love the color scheme) and I love the gigantic yellow Victorian with the wrap-around.
.-= laura @ the shorehouse´s last blog ..The Cheating Baker =-.

Mario Vespucci November 28, 2009 at 4:45 am

Thanks for all the photos… It’s sure nice to see all these for inspiration. I really love that pink house, although the blue one beside it might look stunning as well.

Elizabeth November 28, 2009 at 11:39 pm

Wow ! Thoses houses remind me of the beautiful house in the movie Roxanne with Steve Martin.

Thank you for you wonderful blog ! I will daydream about having a porch all weekend !

Tami November 29, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Love Love Love the pink house too fun!
.-= Tami´s last blog ..3 Men do great things! =-.

Kim~HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs November 29, 2009 at 7:02 pm

These homes are amazing…the porches are what really make them. It saddens me to see some of the cookie cutter homes built today that do not have a front porch on them.
.-= Kim~HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs´s last blog ..~*I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas*~ =-.

Caroline December 4, 2009 at 3:40 pm

I love a great porch, they make me want to sit in a rocking chair and watch the world go by. I also think they had curb appeal.
.-= Caroline´s last blog ..Black Friday/Cyber Monday Home Decor Deals =-.

Rachel February 19, 2010 at 12:27 am

can I love them all?!
.-= Rachel´s last blog ..Back to School =-.

Kim March 29, 2010 at 9:45 am

Julia! My favorite post in all of blog land! I too am obsessed with porches. I have a house with a almost complete wrap around porch and am waiting for my new camera to take photos. I love the photo of the stone you took! I wish upon wish that my boston ivy was crept all up the sides before I showed photos thou. I also am obsessed with landscaping around wrap around porches.

Again, thanks again!
.-= Kim´s last blog ..White shell wreath! =-.

{ 1 trackback }