A Beach Cottage Dining Room Makeover

by hookedonhouses on October 10, 2009

a-beach-cottage-table-closeup

Have you visited A Beach Cottage? It’s one of my favorite house blogs. Sarah lived in England until 2005 when she and her husband, along with their three children, followed their dream to live by the ocean in Australia. She started blogging to document the changes they made to their fixer-upper cottage, and her casual coastal style is like a breath of fresh air. She works wonders with vintage quilts, neglected furniture, and plenty of white paint.

Take a look at what she did with her dining room. Here’s how it looked when she first saw it, during an Open House:

a-beach-cottage-dining-rm-before

I’m not sure I would’ve seen a lot of potential there. But here’s what her dining room looks like now:

a-beach-cottage-dining-rm-after

To see the rest of the dining room photos and to get all the details about the makeover, visit A Beach Cottage.

While you’re there, you have to see what she did with this room, too:

a-beach-cottage-sitting-room-before1

Check out the results of Sarah’s amazing sitting room makeover here. Love it!

metamorphosis monday-bnotp

I’m adding this post to Susan’s Metamorphosis Monday party at Between Naps on the Porch. That’s the place to go if you love looking at before and afters!

Ruth Staalsen October 10, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Great transformation!

Jessica at Lavender & Lilies October 10, 2009 at 11:23 pm

I really love it. It’s so simple and pretty.
.-= Jessica at Lavender & Lilies´s last blog ..Nie Nie =-.

agneta October 10, 2009 at 11:41 pm

So glad I stumbled on your lovely lovely blog today, it’s always nice to find other blogger out and about on the net!

I must tell you that I like like like your nice blog!

Agneta & Sweden
.-= agneta´s last blog ..tim walker, the king =-.

Julie October 11, 2009 at 12:01 am

Fabulous Julia
Sarah’s blog is a must read. One clever lass with a great sense of humour too!
.-= Julie´s last blog ..La Bella Roma: Romantic Piazza Navona =-.

Annie@A View on Design October 11, 2009 at 2:56 am

Wow, isn’t that a great blog, thanks for mentioning it! I’ve subscribed to that one now! I should have known it would be great, in Australia!! hehe

Lovin white on white at the mom.
.-= Annie@A View on Design´s last blog ..Newtown Classic Restoration, VIC =-.

Liz@VioletPosy October 11, 2009 at 6:00 am

WOW! What a transformation! I really like her dining room :)
.-= Liz@VioletPosy´s last blog ..Halloween Blog Party =-.

Amanda @ Serenity Now October 11, 2009 at 7:36 am

Great makeover. :) I love the big set of cubbies/bookcases she has…very nice! I like the way she has different kinds of baskets and bins in there so it’s not all the same.
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Decorating Dilemmas Winner! =-.

Astrid October 11, 2009 at 9:30 am

Makes me want to up and move to Australia! :)
.-= Astrid´s last blog ..Window Trim, A Banner, Apples & Ghosts (& not in that order) =-.

Sarah @ Dream In Domestic October 11, 2009 at 10:25 am

Wow it’s gorgeous! Reminds me a lot of http://www.theletteredcottage.net/ which is gorgeous too. Thanks for sharing!
.-= Sarah @ Dream In Domestic´s last blog ..I Thought I Saw Fall Here, But It Left =-.

Trudi October 11, 2009 at 5:48 pm

The cubes suit a family room but not a dining room. Is this their formal dining room or it is the causal eating room? Would be hard to furnish that room as it is an obvious passageway to other rooms.
It needs a wow factor, that table is lacking in form, it looks cheap. A chunky farm house table would work.

sarah {abeachcottage} October 11, 2009 at 11:10 pm

thanks :-) too kind!
.-= sarah {abeachcottage}´s last blog ..A Beach Cottage Thrifted Curtain & a Free Bamboo Curtain Pole =-.

bj October 12, 2009 at 6:44 am

O, yes…Sarah’s blog is one of my favorites, too. She is amazing.
Thanks for showcasing her talents…
xo bj
.-= bj´s last blog ..The Black and White of it….. =-.

Anna October 12, 2009 at 1:56 pm

so pretty, I love all the white
.-= Anna´s last blog ..Our big weekend project =-.

Struggler October 12, 2009 at 5:35 pm

Wonderful. I’m off to sticky-beak at the rest of her photos!

Sheri October 12, 2009 at 6:35 pm

That’s just beautiful!

If you haven’t already come link up at my Room a month makeover. http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com/2009/10/room-month-monster-dominoes.html
.-= Sheri´s last blog ..Room a month: monster dominoes =-.

nannykim October 12, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Yes, I follow her blog and love what she has done!
.-= nannykim´s last blog ..Met Monday October 12 =-.

~Really Rainey~ October 13, 2009 at 12:19 am

Fantastic Makeover… so fresh, airy and cozy too!
Hope you are having a great week!
Rainey
.-= ~Really Rainey~´s last blog ..Birthday cake for a Southern boy =-.

desiree October 14, 2009 at 4:49 pm

I love the Beach cottage blog !
.-= desiree´s last blog ..Couleurs de Provence =-.

Susan October 14, 2009 at 11:06 pm

Sarah is so talented…she truly saw a diamond in the rough when she found her home. I love how she finds the neatest pieces that are just a little worn around the edges and turns them into lovely treasures for her home. She is truly inspiring. Especially enjoyed the video she did recently of her and her DH out garage “sailing.” That was fun…plus, we got to see some of her neck of the woods. :)
Susan
.-= Susan´s last blog ..Welcome to the 60th Tablescape Thursday and Foodie Friday! =-.

{ 3 trackbacks }