A Fun Way to Find Your Decorating Style (& More Links)

by hookedonhouses on April 18, 2014

Houzz Decorating Style Quiz Transitional

1. How Would You Describe Your Style?

Houzz has a fun quiz you can take to try to figure it out. I got Transitional: “You’re not too modern but not too traditional, either. You’re a gracious host, and you love to break out the fine china even when you’re just eating pizza. Serenity is your goal at home.” Not sure about the fine china with pizza thing, but otherwise it sounded pretty accurate. What’s yours? (Note: A reader tells me they may ask you to create an account with Houzz or sign in with Facebook to participate, which I didn’t realize since I already had one.)

Abandoned House from Let's Scare Jessica To Death movie

2. This Now-Abandoned House was in the 1971 Movie Let’s Scare Jessica to Death

Key West House Tour Space Between Blog

3. Karah gives us a tour of a Colorful Key West house

lost your keys again

4. Lost Your Keys Again? 8 Tips For Finding Misplaced Objects

Game of Thrones thrones via Redfin

5. 10 “Throne Rooms” for Game of Thrones Fans

1950s Time Capsule House For Sale Toronto

6. A 1950s “Time Capsule House” For Sale in Toronto

Love the Home You're With Nesting Place

7. Stop Waiting for the Next House

On the Nesting Place blog, Myquillyn writes, “Houses are for living, not perfecting.” So true! She has a book coming out this month, just in time for my birthday (check my Amazon Wish List, Dave!). When I was cleaning out old files today, I came across a lovely email she wrote me when I was a new blogger, answering some of my questions and encouraging me to keep at this thing. She’s the best.

Plain-Jane House BEFORE Craftsman Style Cottage

8. How This Plain-Jane House Got Craftsman-Cottage Curb Appeal (#flashbackfriday)

I send a newsletter out to my core group of “Hooked” readers each week. Give me your email if you want to be included. Have a beautiful Easter weekend, everybody! :)

Julia-simple teal signature

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

{ 22 comments… read them below or add one }

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog April 18, 2014 at 8:36 am

Such a great group of links, thank you so much for including the Key West house tour. I read Nester’s post earlier this week and totally agree. Love the Home You’re With is the perfect mantra.

Carolyn April 18, 2014 at 9:09 am

Though I felt there wasn’t an ideal ‘me’ answer on several of the decorating style questions, I got Traditional, which is pretty accurate – especially the part that says, “your ideal vacation is somewhere in England.” Ha! I do like elements of various styles, but I’m no modernist. I can be both city mouse and country mouse, depending on where I am. I’m also always full of admiration for those talented and creative DIY’ers who can give a place a wonderful new look on a dime. I like Myquillyn’s motto. I think raising children made me lighten up on my perfectionist tendencies. It was either that or constantly being either frustrated or a nag.

Toni April 18, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Pretty interesting post. I’m French Country which I found surprising but in reading the description, it fits~

T. April 18, 2014 at 3:21 pm

None of the answers really fit me on that Houzz quiz. I ended up with Traditional, which is probably accurate, although I didn’t look to see what the other choices were. People who visit my home tell me that it looks like it would be my home, so I suppose I am true to myself in my decorating!

That 1950s time capsule house is funny. My house would end up a time capsule of the mid 1990s if my husband had his way. We’ve been here 20 years this spring, and any time I update with new furniture or paint or light fixtures, my husband thinks I’m wasting money.

hookedonhouses April 18, 2014 at 3:34 pm

I have a feeling you’re not the only one with a husband happy to remain in the 1990s, decor wise. Ha. Have a great weekend, T! :)

Jonia April 19, 2014 at 8:45 am

As always, another great post with lots to think/talk about. I do love a fun quiz and have thought I should sign up for Houzz, so we’ll see. #2 What an interesting house! It’s kinda quirky and not just for the fact that it appears there are two separate additions on the back. As far as being haunted, well, I’ll leave that to others to think about, but what I would do with that house!!! #3 Especially since we just had 2 inches of snow last night, I’m loving a Key Lime house in Key West :) #4 I wonder how people would react if I walked around the house saying “My mind. My mind. My mind.” LOL #5 Hopefully for #7 “The Red Woman”, the maxim “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas” is true ;) #6 I hope they sell the house furnished, it’s way over the top for me, but there are those who would love that house just as it is. Also, I’m not a wallpaper girl, but I am strangely attracted to the paper in the front entry.

hookedonhouses April 19, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Loved reading your thoughts on each one, Jonia!

Jonia April 23, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Awww thanks, Julia :) Your articles are so awesome. There’s always so much to comment on, I have to reign myself in ;) Luv your blog!

Juju April 19, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Apparently I’m coastal, which surprised me and doesn’t really fit me as far as I’m concerned. I took the test twice and came up with the same answer both times. I do like watery greens and blues, but I just picked a few answers because they were the closest things to what I really like. My favorite beverage is coffee and I like a mix of flowers, I have a variety of different kinds of artwork on the walls. It depends on the room. Coastal?!! Holy cow!! I am allergic to seafood and I only go out in the sun when I absolutely have to. I thought they’d give me something like traditional or picky single woman.

The key west house was neat, but when I see cupboards like that I always wonder where the big dishes go. I like it when there are quirky things around the house.

hookedonhouses April 19, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Funny that you got “Coastal” both times and it doesn’t seem to really fit you. I actually thought I might get Coastal and took it a second time, answering things a little differently just to see. But no, I got “Rustic” instead, which surprised me. I guess the quiz might not be very accurate all the time…ha.

Juju April 19, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I just looked at the Toronto house. I think Tammy Faye Baker might have decorated it, or Barbara Cartland.

hookedonhouses April 19, 2014 at 8:05 pm

I can see that! Ha.

Nathan April 20, 2014 at 2:35 am

I got Coastal style and that is not at ALL what I like, lol.

Christina from Dallas April 20, 2014 at 10:33 am

I’ve actually seen that movie “Let’s scare Jessica to Death”. It was awful! However I wish someone could restore that house. It’s beautiful! On a lighter note I took the test and got French County. That fits me to a tee. It says I love white furniture and that is true. I’ve even commented on here when I’ve seen a white room about how much I love that style. My house isn’t completely white but it does have some white accents. It’s not practical with two dogs and a couple cats, a twelve year old boy and a husband who’s hobby is to work on old cars.

Luciane at HomeBunch.com April 20, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Hi Julia!

How are you doing? I hope everything is great with you!

I am just stopping to wish you and your family a very Happy and fun Easter!

Big hugs to you!

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

hookedonhouses April 20, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Thanks, Luciane! Same to you! xo

Elizabeth Sagarminaga April 21, 2014 at 11:51 am

Amazing blog! keep it up.

Alie B April 22, 2014 at 8:30 am

Happy Belated Easter, Julia. I hope you had a blessed holiday weekend.
Ironic that you posted about the Houzz quiz. I just took that quiz last Thursday, and I got the same result as you. I wasn’t surprised that I didn’t agree with the Transitional result. I found the questions frustrating, as there never seemed to be an option that really described me!
I love the old movie house! The article was amusing too. I love poking around in abandoned houses, illegal and dangerous as it might be! :)
The tips for finding misplaced objects article was very helpful, actually.
The time capsule house is incredible. It really was like stepping into my childhood; a trip to grandma’s house. Amazing that the place, and its objects, are in such perfect condition!
Your friend from The Nesting Place makes a valid point. Why are we so often thinking about the next place. Life is short, so make it count now! Her book will no doubt be full of great insights. You should really consider writing a book as well, Julia. I know a lot of folks who would buy it, including myself.
Have a lovely week!

JithinCedar April 23, 2014 at 4:01 am

Nice ones.. And thanks for reminding that scare movie of Jessica

Misty April 23, 2014 at 8:42 am

I got Midcentury Modern on the quiz. Too bad my husband is anything but! :D

Penny April 25, 2014 at 9:09 pm

I got traditional. I did like the white kitchen pic that accompanied it, but that’s not typically how I’d describe my style. Actually the decor in the Key West house linked above is right on par with what I love in color and furniture , maybe with a few antiques and woods mixed in, but I don’t think of that as traditional. I basically like a mix of antiques and modern pieces with lots of color (except red and orange until Fall and Winter).

Elizabeth Sagarminaga April 29, 2014 at 3:06 am

Great group of links. What an interesting article you have posted. Loved reading your thoughts. Great job.