A Three-Story Craftsman in Seattle & More Houses For Sale

by hookedonhouses on March 28, 2014

1411 E Ward Seattle Craftsman for Sale

1. An Updated Craftsman with Original Woodwork in Washington

The listing says, “Just steps from Volunteer Park, this 1906 Craftsman offers a careful blend of original character and modern amenities. Rich millwork, beamed ceilings and leaded glass accompany in-wall audio, luxury appliances and other comforts. There are four bedrooms up including the master suite plus a finished attic.”

616 N Foothill Beverly Hills For Sale2. A Spanish Mission-Style Estate in Beverly Hills

The listing says, “This beautifully designed, newly constructed, approximately 10,000 square foot Spanish Mission style estate is the recipient of the Design Review Commission of The City of Beverly Hills award for architectural design.”

109 Westerly Ct Orcas Island WA for sale3. Four Words: Sunroom with a View

The listing says, “Stunning west-facing waterfront estate located near Deer Harbor provides a rare opportunity to live and play next to the Salish Sea on beautiful Orcas Island.”

house for sale in Bairnsdale AU

4. Sprawling Home in Bairnsdale (Australia)

I hear more from my readers in Australia than just about anywhere else outside the U.S. Here’s a property one of them sent me for a house for sale near hers. The listing says, “Set on approx 3.1 acres, offering panoramic views of Bairnsdale township and the Gippsland Lakes.”

201 Westmoreland Houston Victorian Waldo mansion

5. Brick Victorian-Era Mansion in Houston

The listing says, “Historic Waldo Mansion in Montrose will restore your appreciation for past grandeur. House has wrap-around porch & vestibule entry. Most woodwork is original. 15 ft high ceilings down, 14 ft. upstairs. Goldfish pond with lily pads & lush courtyard. Restored to excellence!”

20 Stetson Ave Mill Valley contemporary for sale

6. Contemporary in Mill Valley with a View

The listing says, “Architecturally stunning 4BR/3BA contemporary home w/ breathtaking views situated in a sunny, private location close to town. Built in 2009, this spacious & bright home blends an open floor plan with tasteful details. Deck off gourmet kitchen and main living areas perfect for relaxing/entertaining while you enjoy the sun set over Mt Tam ridge.”

6211 Ravenna NE Seattle Craftsman for Sale7. Updated Craftsman from 1921 in Seattle

The listing says, “Urban amenities combined with spacious, contemporary living make this house & neighborhood a rare find. A quiet street yet only a half block from the Ravenna Park trail system & local restaurants. Large, light-filled rooms, circular floor plan, hardwood floors & gourmet kitchen.”

Stone House 5788 Belmont College Hill OH

8. A Stone House from the 1930s in Cincinnati

The listing says, “Charm, character, country living, elegant stonework, 3336 sq ft of living space in College Hill. Light-filled solarium off living rm for hours of contemplation. Nooks & crannies to enjoy.” (Don’t miss the green and black-tiled bathroom!)

Thanks to the readers who send me listings like this every week. It’s fun to see what’s on the market in your neighborhoods! Do you have a favorite? Happy Friday, everyone!

Julia-simple teal signature

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

{ 31 comments… read them below or add one }

Carolyn March 28, 2014 at 9:50 am

My favorite is one I could actually afford! I can’t resist the charming stone Tudor Eclectic in Cincinnati, though I’d have to do something about that garage addition in the back. Love the original features, but, having a house from the same era with original bathrooms, I know what’s involved. We just recently replaced the galvanized plumbing to the upstairs bath (we’d done the downstairs several years ago) and it was pretty much a nightmare, though we’ve kept the original fixtures except for the toilets. This one still has the original toilets, even. I’d love to put my stamp on the place. My next favorite, which I definitely could not afford, is the Orcas Island one. The two couldn’t be more different, but, hey, they both have a large arched glass window!

hookedonhouses March 28, 2014 at 9:54 am

I agree, Carolyn — love the stone house in Cincy. I grew up near that one and it reminds me of the kinds of old houses I used to see around our neighborhood. Lots of potential there! If I could just have the stone house (and price tag) with a view like the one on Orcas, that would be ideal. Ha. :)

Jennah March 28, 2014 at 3:15 pm

My favourite is also the most affordable – the Cincinnati house! It looks cozy, warm and welcoming.

Laura March 28, 2014 at 10:20 am

Definitely the Cincinnati stone house for me too. Some of the others were promising on the outside, but disappointing inside. I think I realized that one of the reasons I don’t like cavernous rooms is that the window walls are so far from the middle of the room, the rooms always look dark. And that recessed lighting only adds to the cave effect in my opinion. I can’t stand it, especially in an old house. I love the room sizes and original details in the stone house. Don’t know about those arched stone openings in the kitchen – they don’t look original to me – but the bathrooms are fantastic.

hookedonhouses March 28, 2014 at 11:16 am

I never really thought about that, but good point about the natural light in big rooms, Laura.

Patience March 28, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Another vote for the Cincinnati house! I also really liked the Seattle house with the red door, especially the sweet upper deck. I wonder how they keep the cushions on that outdoor furniture from getting moldy in such a damp climate.

hookedonhouses March 28, 2014 at 12:22 pm

I always wonder things like that, too, Patience. We had outdoor furniture on our screened porch in our last house and even though I’d try to bring cushions in when it was rainy or damp, they always had mildew on them by the end of the summer.

Jen March 28, 2014 at 12:19 pm

My favourtie does to be Cincinnati beautiful outside has a lot charm inside
it kind makes me think of fairytales

hookedonhouses March 28, 2014 at 12:23 pm

It does have a kind of fairy tale look about it, Jen!

Elisa March 28, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I lived in Cincinnati during my college days and think the city has some amazing architecture! College Hill a beautiful area and this house is simply adorable. I agree with Carolyn that the addition could have been more thoughtfully integrated into the existing architecture. I would love to see picture of that house in summer, when the plants and trees are in full leaf.

hookedonhouses March 28, 2014 at 2:29 pm

College Hill does have some beautiful old houses. I loved taking bike rides through the neighborhoods and gawking at them!

Jennifer March 28, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Hands down the 1st – Craftsman in Seattle. The woodwork is beautiful!

hookedonhouses March 28, 2014 at 2:28 pm

It really is. I was oohing and ahhing over the woodwork in that one!

Sue March 28, 2014 at 2:46 pm

I like the last house, 1930s Stone House that has so much charm it is screaming.

Maria March 28, 2014 at 2:58 pm

I agree, hands down the 1st – the craftsman in Seattle. Lovely, though I was frightened by the mural in the basement! There is some confusion of styles, but nothing that’s too big a deal – except for that mural of course.

Though I love, love, love Mill Valley, this was was a tad too modern for my taste and not sure there was a garage.

The fairytale stone house is very cute on the outside, but for me it ends there.

hookedonhouses March 28, 2014 at 3:20 pm

LOL about the mural scaring you, Maria. I can imagine first-time visitors being a little startled when they get down there to see all those faces looking at them. Ha.

Maria March 28, 2014 at 6:31 pm

It’s the land of giants!!! Creepy jump out at you HUGE freaky radioactive giants! They might as well be…clowns.

Mary March 28, 2014 at 3:31 pm

This is a nostalgic day for me- I lived in both Seattle and on Orcas Island! The first house, the Seattle Craftsman is my favorite for sure (all that lovely woodwork, that entryway, and that sweet second staircase to the kitchen!), but that Deer Harbor property had great promise. I l do so love a west facing view, and that one is spectacular! Also cool was all the cedar in the master suite, and the dry sauna in the bath. It gets so endlessly damp up there, it would have been a relief to have that. Thanks for the wonderful post today, Julia!

hookedonhouses March 28, 2014 at 4:31 pm

I love looking at houses in areas I’ve lived before. I keep an eye on all the streets we’ve ever lived just in case one of the houses might come on the market and I can peek inside. :)

Thanks, Mary!

Kim March 28, 2014 at 5:33 pm

I can’t decide which house is my favorite. There’s things I like about each one. I will say that I’m very surprised at the type of houses there are in Australia. I always pictured tropical type houses there.

Catherine March 28, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Kim, I am from Australia and that house is not very representative of the general style there. There is a vast array of styles and up north you would definitely find a more tropical feel. This house is in the south where the climate is much more temperate. Look up a ‘classic Queenslander’ to see some lovely home examples. I might try and find some nice listings to send through myself.

Esther George March 28, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Hi Julia I love home no. 7 (I can’t afford it) but I can always day dream about it, and no. 8 the price is perfect. All the homes are beautiful but 7 and 8 are more cozy, you can imagine living in them with your family. You know I have been watching all these modern houses they are building here lately and I find them cold and not user friendly. The other thing I’ve noticed they build these big modern kitchens which cost huge amounts of money with this tiny sink…what is that all about? Thank you for sharing. Regards Esther from Sydney. PS have a wonderful weekend.

Martine March 28, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Hi Julia

I just wanted to drop you a quick email to say how much I look forward to your daily updates. I found your site some years back when I was drooling over the “something’s Gotta Give” house – my all time favourite movie house! Since then I’ve been an avid follower. So thank you….I think I’m about as hooked on houses as you seem to be :)

Martine
Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia

hookedonhouses March 28, 2014 at 8:16 pm

That is so nice to hear, Martine. Your kind comments made my day — thanks! :-)

Gur March 29, 2014 at 2:43 pm

I love the Seattle house near Volunteer Park, just a great, close-in neighborhood and all of those great woodwork details.

That LA house just left me so disappointed — a beautiful Spanish outside and then very little inside that related to the exterior.

Steamboats Springs Realtor March 30, 2014 at 8:32 am

Mostly shocked at what you get for $230,000 in Cincinnati. That’s a wonderful home. Talk about way under replacement value.

But the home in Seattle near Volunteer Park is just an outstanding sample of superb craftsmanship.

jep March 30, 2014 at 10:19 am

I could actually live in the stone house and it is just so cute on the outside!

Brindusa March 30, 2014 at 11:32 am

I love the look of the stone house (especially on the outside)… The woodwork in no. 1 is quite nice. But does that bathroom have no door? Or did I not see it? :-)

Donna March 30, 2014 at 9:01 pm

This is another hello from Australia.

I love your site, always read and occasionally comment.
My house is an old weatherboard with dark original wood inside. Similiar to the Craftsman cottages you feature. I always laugh at the debate about painting the wood or not. It is an argument that I always have with myself.

Cheers
Donna

hookedonhouses March 31, 2014 at 7:13 am

*Waving hello!* I love my Australian readers. The “whether to paint or not” debate never seems to end, does it? Ha. Thanks, Donna! :-)

Michelle April 6, 2014 at 1:02 am

Another Aussie here!
I love the craftsman house in Seattle – one of my fav cities in the US.
I don’t think there is a typical style house in Australia. Depending on where you live & the climate would have some bearing on the design.
The house in Bairnsdale is just over an hour’s drive from me, such abeautiful part of the country. There are some very old homes in Bairnsdale which are just gorgeous too!