The Story of a Brick Cottage in Portland & More Links I Like

by hookedonhouses on March 14, 2014

Brick-House-Beautiful-Craftsman Bungalow blog

1. I loved reading the story behind this charming “English Cottage Style” brick house that was built in the 1920s in Portland and seeing old photos and advertisements for it.

Brick house rental apartment kitchen 2. Bonus! The brick house has a “Quaint English Cottage Garden Apartment” in the lower-level apartment for rent with an adorable vintage kitchen.

Five-free-things-you-can-do-now-to-create-a-gorgeous-room-FieldstoneHillDesign

3. Darlene has 5 things you can do today to make your home more beautiful.

LaSalle Park house kitchen Studio 3 Mag

4. LaSalle Park in St. Louis is filled with beautiful old houses. Long-time readers may recall that the original header for my blog was a photo I’d taken of a row of them during one of my visits there. So this article in Studio 3 Magazine about updating an historic house in the area caught my eye.

biggest range hood in the world

5. This week in unusual real estate photos:

I think this house has one of the biggest kitchens and range hoods I’ve ever seen…

I’m questioning the toilet placement in this bathroom

And I wonder how many people do a double-take when they see this shower curtain?

thatched cottage for sale in UK

6. Ever dreamed of owning a thatched cottage? This one is on the market in Worcestershire for £300,000. It was built in the 13th century, but don’t worry — it was updated in the 17th! They had me at “inglenook fireplaces, bread ovens, and original beams throughout.”

Emily Henderson and baby

7. Designer Emily Henderson has been busy with a sweet new project. :)

Lettered Cottage Keith's living room BEFORE

8. This living room got a “Wow!” makeover at The Lettered Cottage.

orange-line

It was a year ago that I started writing my weekly newsletters. It’s a great way for me to keep in touch with my core group of readers and sometimes share things I haven’t had a chance to blog about. Just want to say THANK YOU to my subscribers who make the extra work of writing them each week (and the extra $$ it costs me to send them) worthwhile! If you want to be added to my list, click here to give me your email.

Have a great weekend, everybody!

Julia-simple teal signature

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

{ 26 comments… read them below or add one }

Kay March 14, 2014 at 7:30 am

Of course the houses were fantastic + ‘fun reads’, but they pale in comparison to the wacky real estate photos! Good X’s!
Speaking of which, I love realtor poses in pics, don’t you? It’s kind of a ‘thing’ I have.
Re: Emily Henderson @ Target — I’m super excited! She has terrific taste + definitely has a way with words!

BJ March 14, 2014 at 7:46 am

Ok, that weirdly-placed toilet is odd, but I find the whole house “off”. Pretty much every room has an angle of some kind – too many “triangles” – windows, the end cabinetry, the wood on the wall….I think I’d be dizzy living there. And yeah, who locates a toilet like that????

Empress Lockness March 18, 2014 at 2:41 pm

It looks like the toilet is supposed to be where the makeup table and chair are. That whole house is a whole 1980′s mess.

hookedonhouses March 18, 2014 at 2:47 pm

I think you’re right. It’s like they decided to turn the toilet “niche” into a vanity.

Emma March 14, 2014 at 9:50 am

LOVE the LaSalle house! Must put that bed and breakfast on the bucket list :)

Kay March 14, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Emma — me, too, on the B+B in St. Louis!
We love it down there! Go Cardinals!

Emma March 14, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Ah – Cardinals! Only 20 days until opening day!

The LaSalle B & B (It’s called “Dwell 912″) is less than a mile from Busch Stadium – you can walk and save the parking :)

Laura March 14, 2014 at 10:29 am

Fun! I really LOVE that brick house – so gorgeous. Love that little kitchen, and of course the thatched cottage is adorable.

Emma March 14, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Me too, Laura! I love Portland anyway….but if I could live in that house (or just hang out there now and then :)…I’d be pretty happy!

Fiamma March 14, 2014 at 11:48 am

Is it wrong that when I looked at the “what the what??” toilet photo and saw the house was in Brainerd, MN I immediately thought of “Fargo”??? LOL
Seriously though, I know states have different codes for building but come on!!

The thatched cottage is just darling.

Emma March 14, 2014 at 1:08 pm

On Post #4 –

Have to admit – I love the old houses in the LaSalle neighborhood, but this decor was a little contemporary for me. (Different strokes, rigiht?) But that barrel-ceiling wine cellar was very cool, and the baby perambulator-turned-bar-cart was clever, too!

Emma March 14, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I’m sorry Flamma! I cracked up at your reference to “Fargo” – but I put my comment in wrong place!

Carolyn March 14, 2014 at 11:57 am

The Brick House Beautiful in Portland would be pretty close to my dream house, and I had to bookmark it. We have several Tudor Eclectic houses of about the same period in my neighborhood here on the east coast, and they’re always my favorites. This one is particularly well done, since it was built as a showhouse. And of course I love the English cottage, though I don’t think any basketball players could visit there without ducking and stooping. Darlene’s list of five things to beautify your home were really good ideas and well illustrated. Thanks for all the links.

Alie B March 14, 2014 at 3:55 pm

OK, is it wrong of me to have wished that the fireman had been posing in his fabulous new livingroom, preferably with his uniform on? ;)
Thanks for the interesting reads! I especially liked the Studio 3 article.

hookedonhouses March 14, 2014 at 4:00 pm

There would have been nothing wrong with that if you ask me! Ha.

Emma March 14, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Why, there’s nothing wrong with that al all!

Brindusa March 15, 2014 at 5:28 am

I *love* the Brick House Beautiful, brick has always appealed to me! Lovely!

Brindusa March 15, 2014 at 5:29 am

In fact, I wouldn’t mind having some brick (maybe an accent wall) on the inside as well! :-)

hookedonhouses March 15, 2014 at 8:30 am

I’m with you. I have a brick wall in my sunroom — it used to be the outside of my house before we added the room on. People always tell me I should paint it white, but I love the red brick the way it is! :)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy March 15, 2014 at 7:30 am

Seriously fantastic cottages. *le sigh* I want the little thatched one to be my summer home. A gal can dream right?

Such a pretty baby.

Kim March 15, 2014 at 2:11 pm

I love the brick cottage. It looks like it belongs in a fairy tale.

jep March 15, 2014 at 7:29 pm

That brick house beautiful and the apartment are both fantastic. I also have them bookmarked…maybe a trip to Portland is in our future…I wish!

Jonia March 16, 2014 at 9:35 am

Another great post, Julia! A wonderful way to enjoy my Sunday morning coffee. Slurp, drool, slurp, drool…. I truly, truly loved the kitchen reno in the brick cottage! I’ve never before seen a kitchen redo to “unify the kitchen design with the rest of the home’s original details.” done so very well. The cabinets suit the home to a tee, but at the same time offer modern organization that positively inspirational. If my comments sound a little enthusiastic, it’s because I’m hooked on houses :D

Mikalah March 17, 2014 at 12:57 pm

That shower curtain is HILARIOUS. Especially since the rest of the house looks like it belongs to grandparents!

hookedonhouses March 17, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I know, right? I didn’t see that coming! Ha.

Nicole March 20, 2014 at 7:11 am

What a gorgeous cottage. It’s a house on my taste.