I Want This “Mobile Home” For Sale in Malibu

by hookedonhouses on January 29, 2014

4 million dollar mobile home Paradise Cove MalibuDid you know I was born in a trailer? Yep. Not only that, but my grandparents owned a trailer park where I spent many childhood summers. So when I heard that there was a “mobile home” on the market in Malibu for nearly $4 million whopping dollars, I had to see it. Let’s just say they’ve come along way since I was a kid…

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (1)

My dad was the first in his family to graduate from college, and he was such an overachiever, he went ahead and got his doctorate, too. It was a big deal when we got our first house. But none of the houses we lived in were as nice as this place in the Paradise Cove Mobile Home Park!

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (3)

The Malibu Real Estate Blog says: “This may be the biggest real estate story of the year in Malibu. A mobile home (unit 137) at Paradise Cove has been listed at $3,995,000 and guess what….I say it’s going to sell, and fast!” Adding: “This may be the nicest mobile home in the world.”

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (10)

Since it’s considered a mobile home, you don’t own the land it’s sitting on. You’d have to lease it separately. There wouldn’t be property tax to pay, though, because you’d be considered a renter.

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (13)

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (11)

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (12)

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (23)

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (26)

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (27)

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (17)

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (20)

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (21)

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (22)

If the other rooms hadn’t already sold me on this place, the closet definitely would!

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (19)

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (24)

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (14)

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (15)

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (16)

It can’t be truly mobile at this point, but I can’t imagine wanting to leave a spot like this anyway. Beautiful.

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (5)

Excuse me while I stop and stare at this photo of the sand and water for a while. It’s been so cold and snowy here for so long that I would kill for a view like this right now.

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (7)

Curbed explains that Paradise Cove isn’t your run-of-the-mill mobile home community: “Called ‘the hippest neighborhood in Malibu’ by Vanity Fair, it’s been home to celebrities, and some of its properties have sold for as much as $2 million.” Now this one is poised to set a new record.

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (9)

Want it? Better act fast! For more photos and information: Eytan Levin 4 Malibu Real Estate, Malibu Real Estate Blog, Vanity Fair, and Curbed. Photos by Berlyn Photography. (Thanks to Nita for telling me about it!)

Mobile Home for sale Paradise Cove Malibu (4)

P.S. This reminds me of a smaller, less expensive, but nicely decorated mobile home that was featured in Country Living magazine a few years ago:

Mobile Home in Country Living 2010

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

{ 45 comments… read them below or add one }

Erin January 29, 2014 at 9:20 am

I never thought I’d be drooling over a mobile home, but that is gorgeous! Too bad you would have to put up with the shabby 2 million dollar trailer next door! ;) Only in California! I’m dying over that wallpaper in the bedroom!

hookedonhouses January 29, 2014 at 9:22 am

I know, right? It must be such an eyesore at only $2 mill. Ha.

Martha January 29, 2014 at 9:48 am

I am confused……why is this called a mobile home? Is it because the land has to be leased separately? Was it built somewhere else and moved to this spot? It is beautiful and the views are amazing. That walk in closet is making me drool. Everything in the house is lovely. This takes mobile home parks to a new level.

hookedonhouses January 29, 2014 at 9:49 am

I imagine it was moved here originally and they continued to build on like a manufactured home. I didn’t come across an explanation for that, though!

Brandy January 29, 2014 at 1:04 pm

I recently read a good bit about this ‘Trailer Park’. Originally, the homes were decommissioned movie star trailers turned into beach houses (the community is RIGHT on Malibu beach). So, even the not-at-all-mobile-anymore houses like this are still part of a mobile home community and lease their land. All of the structures are required to be manufactured homes or otherwise mobile. A lot of celebrities own homes in this community and the 2-3 others that are there along Malibu beach.

hookedonhouses January 29, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Very interesting! Thanks, Brandy.

Cheri January 29, 2014 at 10:09 am

WOW…our mobile didn’t look anything like this and that view is killer.

Jocelyn January 29, 2014 at 10:55 am

Several years ago we visited a family who lived in Tarpon Springs Florida. Their home was gorgeous and large. Very similar to the one above. When they told us it was a mobile home, I did not believe it. Until they took us into the garage. Their home was built up on stilts (for the view) and sure enough it was actually two double wides put together.

Danielle January 29, 2014 at 11:25 am

As a child of the 70/80s, when I think of a mobile home in Malibu my mind goes instantly to the Rockford Files…

This is just beautiful though!

hookedonhouses January 29, 2014 at 11:49 am

The Rockford Files, yes! Love James Garner.

Alie B January 29, 2014 at 11:40 am

Wow, this is absolutely spectacular! I think some of the stigma around mobile homes has faded in recent years. Places like this certainly will help this cause. Location plays a big part in whether the home is considered a mobile home or a trailer. My parents live, for half the year, in a really nice park, in Dunedin, Florida. When they told me they were buying a mobile home, I admit I was skeptical, but I have been proven wrong. They are so happy there and they don’t have the concerns and stresses, when they aren’t there, that they would have if had they bought a home with property included.

hookedonhouses January 29, 2014 at 11:48 am

So true, Alie! There are some really nice ones out there, even under the $4 million range. :)

Nathan January 29, 2014 at 1:52 pm

As you somewhat said in the post, the use of the word mobile is rather loose, haha.

hookedonhouses January 29, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Exactly. That’s why I felt it was necessary to put quotation marks around it! :)

Jessica January 29, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Very cool! I have been obsessed with this mobile home park ever since I read about it in Vanity Fair.

Gaynell January 29, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Amazing! MY STYLE for sure. But look at what you have posted before, what you can get elsewhere for that amount. Would much rather have something on the coast of the southeast, GA, SC, NC, even FL and it would be yours to pass on.

hookedonhouses January 29, 2014 at 4:18 pm

True!

Rosie January 29, 2014 at 4:36 pm

People need to open their minds about “mobile homes.” Think about all the people who lost their homes because they bought more house than they could afford. People on limited incomes can still have a place to call their own and with a little imagination and sweat equity when you’re ready to move you can sell it and get your money out of it. I did this after raising my kids as a single mom and now I live in a new 24×56 manufactured home on my own property in a resort area.

hookedonhouses January 29, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Good for you! They really do have some nice ones these days (for under $4 million, I might add — ha).

CC January 29, 2014 at 4:59 pm

For $4 Million I would not spend it on a mobile home.

Kim January 29, 2014 at 5:12 pm

This house is spectacular! If I could live on the beach, I would want a house that has an interior just like this.

Manufactured homes have come a long way since 20 or 30 years ago. What’s nice about them now, is that they allow you to design your own floor plan, design the exterior, and pick the styles and colors of the things in the interior. Like the countertops, paint colors, cabinets, appliances, and more. They actually look and feel like a regular home. I know because my family currently lives in a manufactured home that was made in 2010.

hookedonhouses January 29, 2014 at 5:39 pm

They really have come a long way!

Rebecca C January 29, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Wow. That view. I could sit there all day and do nothing!

I lived in a mobile home when I was young. Not as nice as this one, but I think the one I lived in could have been mobile. Also didn’t have these views. And didn’t cost millions.

Becky January 29, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I’m a child of the 60′s, and mobile homes in my day were quite small, and designed a bit like ships, with bunks, narrow halls, built-in storage, and a miniscule galley kitchen. Our house was a big, old, rambling farmhouse, so I thought my friends who lived in those little trailers were SO LUCKY to have such a cool home. I truly envied that they had to keep everything put away in their bedrooms or there was nowhere to move around.

hookedonhouses January 29, 2014 at 9:25 pm

That’s so funny. I would have loved a big old rambling farmhouse. We could’ve swapped, Becky! ;-)

jep January 29, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Those rock or stone walls outside and the fireplaces (I saw at least two) are gorgeous. And, that view…WOW! Thanks Julia, this is not something you see everyday.

Teresa January 29, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Its not every day you see coffered ceilings in a mobile home! Wow.. this post left me speechless.

Kimberly January 30, 2014 at 12:35 am

My first thought when I saw the title of this post: “You’re paying that kind of money for the view, and location.” Now that I see the house, I can say “not really.” That’s a very, very nice house, “mobile” or not. I’m a native Southern California girl (living in West L.A. right now) and am familiar with Malibu and surrounding areas, as well as Orange County beaches. Paradise Cove is a rarified beach location in one of the most expensive ocean-side enclaves in the world, so I’m not surprised this “mobile” home is priced at $4 million. It really looks nothing like what we all think of when we hear “mobile home.” That said, wow would I hesitate to spend that kind of money and not actually own the land!

Wendy January 30, 2014 at 2:30 am

I swoon for that light fixture in the hallway. I wonder where they found it! It looks like one I brought back from Italy (found it in a junk shop) a couple of years ago. But this one in turquoise is even more beautiful.

tammyCA January 30, 2014 at 2:56 am

That’s super nice, I’d never guess it was a trailer. I’m not a beachy type person but it has a cozy, relaxed look but also seems spacious & airy…so yeah, if I win the lottery I’d move in. This is where t.v.’s Jim Rockford lived, Paradise Cove.

hookedonhouses January 30, 2014 at 8:29 am

I wonder if Rockford would recognize it today? Bet it’s changed a lot since then! :)

Bibi@Alumen January 30, 2014 at 4:40 am

Such a great house, hard to believe this is a mobile home. Lovely view and you can see someone has really invested in this one….

Thanks for the wonderful pictures, very inspirational…

Nicoleta January 30, 2014 at 5:48 am

What a gorgeous house. Simply beautiful, cozy and..in Malibu

Fiamma January 30, 2014 at 9:21 am

Only in California man…
That is some spectacular view, though sorry, for that much bank, I want to own the land as well.

Cherry Church January 30, 2014 at 11:54 am

Loved seeing the mobile home. We live in Arizona in a 55+ community of manufactured homes. We all love our homes and take time to decorate them and make them look welcoming and comfy. I think magazines should occasionally do articles on communities like ours. Not everyone can afford to live in huge houses but we can all make the best of where we live. Love Hooked on Houses, by the way. I wait for it every week.

hookedonhouses January 30, 2014 at 11:58 am

I agree. It’s nice to see different kinds of houses and there are some beautiful manufactured ones out there. Thanks, Cherry!

Dean January 30, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Well, it’s all about location, location, location right? But, this home is nothing to look down your nose at. It’s really beautiful, inside and out. And those views! Whew!

When I was growing up, there was definitely a stigma connected to mobile homes (and the people who lived them) which is unfounded of course. As you and some of your readers pointed out, that’s starting to gradually change. I think part of it are magazines like Dwell that feature a lot of pre-fab homes and they’re gorgeous (if you’re into the modern aesthetic, which I am.) I’ve also seen stories on pre-fab and shipping container home dwellers who move their homes to different locales when the mood strikes, because they’re leasing land rather owning, which I think is really cool. I guess the “mobile” never occurred to me until I saw these examples. Duh…

Richard January 31, 2014 at 2:35 am

And just down the hill, right on the beach is the fabulous Paradise Cove Beach Cafe where you can get a table right on the sand while you dine and watch celebrities.

hookedonhouses February 1, 2014 at 11:34 am

Nice!

Esther George January 31, 2014 at 3:13 am

Hi Julia this home is so lovely and the views I am jealous. I remember a few years ago now Oprah had Tom Shadyac on her show and he lives in a mobile home, I was so impressed I thought hey… I can live like that, it was so beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful weekend. Regards Esther from Sydney. PS the lounge room looks bigger than my home.

Maria February 1, 2014 at 1:07 am

Wow!
Wow it’s sure is beautiful, but the thing about mobile home parks that scares me is you don’t own the land. We have a beautiful one not far that over looks the ocean very much like this location that was suppose to be under a rent control law, but a new owner came in and raised rents by 7x. This left many seniors unable to pay rent and their property unsellable due to the new prices for rental space, I’ve read where some just had to walk away. They are fighting them in court, but it’s been years now.

However, omg I want this place -want-want-want! Everything in it too! Rent space prices be damned, because I’d have to win big lotto to pay for it anyway.

@Esther, this is the same park that Tom lives in that was featured on that O show.

hookedonhouses February 1, 2014 at 11:31 am

Scary about that new owner raising rents that much!

Rosemarie February 4, 2014 at 10:40 am

I think it’s misleading to call that a mobile home. That’s impossible. The shape of it alone obviously takes away the mobile part. It’s a regular home and by some loophole has a mobile home category associated to it.

Patra February 5, 2014 at 2:24 pm

It’s a beautiful “mobile” home. And when I say “mobile” I mean stationary. That house is never going to be able to move without damaging EVERYTHING!!! I still want it.

Bibika@Reeves Home and Garden May 3, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Mobile – hardly will be ever again, without making a lot of damage. Never the less it is lovely….