A Family Lodge in the Montana Mountains

by hookedonhouses on January 2, 2014

Mountain Lodge in Montana

This is the kind of house I’d love to spend a cold, snowy day like today in. And even though it’s a big one, the rooms look pretty cozy with the stone fireplaces and fir beams and wide oak-planked floors. So grab yourself a hot drink and let’s take a look around…

Mountain Ski Lodge in Montana (13)

The house is in the Yellowstone Club community and has “spectacular views of the Pioneer Mountain ski area and distant Yellowstone National Park.”

Mountain Ski Lodge in Montana (14)

The double-sided rock fireplace climbs 22 feet.

Mountain Ski Lodge in Montana (2)

Interior designer Bill Peace says the look they were going for was “rustic but with an industrial edge.”

Mountain Ski Lodge in Montana (20)

He adds it was important to add “softness” in the rooms to balance all the “rugged details.”

Mountain Ski Lodge in Montana (19)

Mountain Ski Lodge in Montana (7)

Mountain Ski Lodge in Montana (5)

License plates representing places the family has lived over the years covers one bathroom’s walls:

Mountain Ski Lodge in Montana (6)

There are several hand-crafted barn-style sliding doors throughout the house, including one that separates the mudroom from the laundry:

Mountain Ski Lodge in Montana (12)

The architect Kipp Halvorsen says, “Capturing the views is the main purpose of the house. The architecture and materials come second to framing them.”

Mountain Ski Lodge in Montana (17)

I really love this kitchen with the stone that surrounds the range.

Mountain Ski Lodge in Montana (9)

The island countertop is solid walnut, while the rest in the kitchen are soapstone. The cabinets are reclaimed oak.

Mountain Ski Lodge in Montana (11)

The house was featured in Mountain Living magazine in a story written by Norman Kolpas last year. Visit their site for more photos and information about it.

Mountain Ski Lodge in Montana (10)

You can find additional source info at Home Bunch. Photos by Gibeon Photography; architecture by Faure Halvorsen; interiors by Peace Design; construction by Highline Partners.

Mountain Ski Lodge in Montana (1)

P.S. Is anyone else getting slammed with snow this week? They declared a snow day today at Lily’s school (and she’s hoping for another one tomorrow!). I just snapped a pic of the view from my kitchen window and posted it on Instagram if you want to see. Stay warm, everybody! :-)

Julia-simple teal signature

Hooked on Ski Retreats? Click here to see more, including…

Rustic Craftsman Steamboat Springs Werner House

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

{ 37 comments… read them below or add one }

Christina from Dallas January 2, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Looks cozy! I would love to have a cup of coffee next to that fireplace. Enjoy your snow day!

baileywife January 2, 2014 at 8:14 pm

This is THE. MOST. PERFECT. HOUSE. I’VE. EVER. SEEN!! Thanks for the eye candy Julia! ~Kim

Design Chic January 2, 2014 at 9:31 pm

We managed to escape this round of snow in North Carolina, but I feel sure we’ll get our share. Love this home and yes it’s large, but somehow manages to feel warm and cozy with all of the rustic wood and stone. Wishing you all the best in 2014!

Luciane at HomeBunch.com January 2, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Hi Julia!

I have being trying to leave comments but I was having some problems. I hope this works this time around.

First, I want to wish you and your family a very Blessed 2014. May God keep blessing you all. By the way, I just saw your pictures and I was shocked by the size of your kids… I remember Lily being so tiny! They grow up so fast, don’t they? :-)

Also, thank you so much for sharing this with your readers. I was thinking about this home when I went to bed last night (bloggers, I tell ya!)… this is one of my favorites in a long time. I love how warm it feels.

Lots of Love to you, my friend,

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

hookedonhouses January 3, 2014 at 8:26 am

Hi Luciane! I’m not sure why your other comments didn’t come through. I’m not seeing them so they may have ended up in the spam folder (sorry about that!).

The kids do grow up fast. Lily is a 6th grader now and Jake is in college. It’s been great having him home for winter break with us.

I loved your post about this house. Happy 2014!! :)

Erin January 3, 2014 at 2:04 am

I’m not generally drawn to rustic homes, but this is cabin perfection (OK, more like crazy cabin-mansion perfection)! I’m sure I could easily snuggle up for a long winter’s nap in one of those cozy spaces!

Nathan January 3, 2014 at 2:56 am

That two digit Wyoming licence plate is pretty comical.

Little Edie January 4, 2014 at 10:44 pm

The low digit Wyoming license plates are badges of honor … as are the original exchanges for phones where you can give you number to someone by telling them to call you at 4486. :-) Glory days of the old west.

hookedonhouses January 4, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Love it!

maddie may January 3, 2014 at 4:39 am

Be still my heart !!!!! This home takes my breath away. Luvvvvv the sliding barn doors, beautiful beams and wood planks…..the sweet fireplace in the bathroom…..heaven. The decorating is so relaxing & unique with the movie posters, license plates, rustic bathroom sink and bunk beds. What more can I say….It’s beautiful.

Esther George January 3, 2014 at 8:02 am

Hi Julia must say I had a look at your Instagram photographs..you have a beautiful family, a lovely home and you are surrounded by magical views, it just doesn’t get better than that….. This is quite a handsome looking home (it is very masculine) big but cozy looking. I have not had a hot chocolate for so long but this winter I promised myself hot chocolate with marshmallows (yum). Thank you for sharing. Regards Esther from Sydney (scorcher)

hookedonhouses January 3, 2014 at 8:27 am

It’s probably a little too warm for hot chocolate in Sydney right now, huh? Thanks, Esther! :)

Carolyn January 3, 2014 at 8:52 am

Love. Really grand but cozy. I have pics of this pinned to my mountain home notebook. I’m afraid our mountain log cabin is a long way from this, but I love seeing rustic done beautifully. A very cold snowy morning on ‘our’ mountain today after an incredibly windy night. Fortunately only lost power for an hour. Stay warm.

Laura January 3, 2014 at 10:06 am

I guess I’m alone in this, but this place looks downright spooky to me in the evening photos. I like it alright in the daytime, but those downlights making all the shadows on the stone, along with the iron curtain rods, metal stair railing, and what looks like bars across an opening under the stairs – dungeon is what comes to my mind.

Susie January 3, 2014 at 10:11 am

Just discovered your blog-site this week…. I’m in heaven! I am also ‘hooked on houses’ and will spend hours, literally looking at them whenever and wherever I can find them. I’m way down here in South Texas, so no snow and not much cold. Believe I found you thru Joni @ Cote de Texas! Keep up the great research and wonderful pictures, I’m loving it!

hookedonhouses January 3, 2014 at 10:29 am

Nice to hear from you, Susie! Welcome to our little club of house addicts. Enjoy your warmer weather. It’s about 5 degrees here today. Brr! :)

Beverly January 3, 2014 at 10:22 am

This is unbelievable! It’s absolutely breath taking! I could look at the pictures for hours and study all the details! Thanks for sharing.

Jennah January 3, 2014 at 11:12 am

Wowzers! WOW-zers! There are so many spectacular details to swoon over in this home. My favourite are those gorgeous “barn” doors. I love them. I always try to imagine how I could incorporate into my own home but I think one has to have a certain type of home to pull them off décor-wise. The rustic feel of this home is cozy and inviting and I can only imagine how serene it must be to wake up to the snowy views of this home.

It’s -31*C here and I’m on my 4th cup of tea this morning. Your new blog post has been a welcome respite from the cold day ahead. Stay warm, Julia.

hookedonhouses January 3, 2014 at 11:25 am

Negative 31? Whoa! I don’t think I’d get out of bed if it got that cold. I’d be drinking my tea under the covers. Ha. Thanks, Jennah!

KellyW. January 3, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I thought I was over log homes, but I’m clearly not. I like the balance of logs, dry wall and stonework. I really like the bunk room, it’s a good use of space.

Jo Summers January 3, 2014 at 1:56 pm

So much more appealing than the HGTV Dream Home this year. This one is my kind of dream…

jen January 3, 2014 at 2:08 pm

This has a lot of charm

Kim January 3, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Gorgeous place! This is the kind of mountain house I have dreamed about having many times.

I love your instragram page. You take nice pictures and it’s fun to see what’s going on with your family.

Have a good year Julia!

hookedonhouses January 3, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Thanks, Kim! I’m a little late to the Instagram party. I just started posting on it last summer, but it’s fun to have a place to post less formal pics on a whim. :)

cecile delouvrier January 3, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Wonderful place I’d like to visit and spend winter holidays of course; it reminds me about the ranch that Andie McDowell once owned in Montana with her first husband. I still have beautiful pics of it from a magazine but couldn’t find some on the web unfortunately… I’ll e-mail them to you this week end; I’m sure you’ll love them!
And…Happy New Year! Bonne Année!

hookedonhouses January 3, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Ooh, yes, I’d love to see it. I loved her Tudor in North Carolina. Thanks, Cecile!

Alie B January 3, 2014 at 3:24 pm

This is spectacular! Very inviting at the moment, as the temp here is currently dipping down to frightful lows. We’re still on holiday and the kids are so tired of being cooped up. It’s too cold to spend time outdoors.

David January 3, 2014 at 5:41 pm

A fireplace in the bathroom is the ultimate luxury to me.

nanne January 3, 2014 at 5:53 pm

i would love that house just for the fireplace by the bathtub!! heaven!

while, i don’t love the furninishings so much in the bunkroom, i do really like the idea of a bunk room with a living area.

Brenda Boudinot January 3, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Forgive me for posting this question here, comments closed on the Parent Trap 1961. Might I ask for your opinion on the staircase of the Boston home. It appears to perhaps be the same staircase used in the Griswold Christmas Vacation. What do you think?

Thank you.

hookedonhouses January 3, 2014 at 10:18 pm

They do look similar! I’m not sure if they’re the same ones or not, though. Interesting observation!

Carmen January 3, 2014 at 10:44 pm

I absolutely love this house. This home is rustic and elegant at the same time. I love it! I have seen this house on houzz and always save the pictures.

Julie B. [Holland] January 4, 2014 at 6:43 pm

This is one beautiful home! Happy New Year Julia !

hookedonhouses January 4, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Thanks, Julie! Same to you!

jordi January 4, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Am I seeing bunk style beds at the far end of the living room? In a house so large I don’t understand why.

Nice place to hibernate for the winter though.

hookedonhouses January 4, 2014 at 10:26 pm

It’s a bunk room for the kids. How fun is that?

jordi January 4, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Well, aren’t they lucky kids; that’s not your average bedroom!!