A Romantic Lowcountry Retreat on Kiawah Island

by hookedonhouses on May 15, 2013

Kiawah Island house for sale in South Carolina 500Here’s the house I’m daydreaming over today: a sprawling shingled home on over 11 acres of Kiawah Island in South Carolina. It was featured in Architectural Digest a few years ago and is now on the market for $18 million. Take a look…

aerial view of Kiawah Island house on the water

The agent says, “This property’s singular character is achieved by the graceful balance of exacting features and easy Carolina Lowcountry charm. Its setting is made up of mature live oaks, leafy palmettos, and tall pines amid the sea grasses of the Stono Inlet and Kiawah River.”

85 Blue Heron Pond Road Kiawah Island SC (12)

The house was built in 2005 with weathered red cedar shingle and shake, along with handmade “Savannah Grey” brick.

85 Blue Heron Pond Road Kiawah Island SC (7)

It was designed by architectural firm Shope Reno Wharton of Norwalk, Connecticut, and decorated by Jacquelynne P. Lanham Designs of Atlanta.

85 Blue Heron Pond Road Kiawah Island SC (3)

Love this room and the other spaces the house has that take full advantage of the great light and gorgeous views:

85 Blue Heron Pond Road Kiawah Island SC (5)

After I saw this kitchen, I suddenly had the urge to buy lots of green glass bottles for mine.

85 Blue Heron Pond Road Kiawah Island SC (4)

There are 7 bedrooms…

85 Blue Heron Pond Road Kiawah Island SC (8)

…and 9 baths.

85 Blue Heron Pond Road Kiawah Island SC (9)

A sunroom with a brick floor:

85 Blue Heron Pond Road Kiawah Island SC (6)

A huge covered deck with marsh views:

85 Blue Heron Pond Road Kiawah Island SC (15)

“Lush landscaped gardens, designed and realized by Oehme van Sweden of Washington, D.C., transition to sunwashed, ever-changing marshgrasses and a generous private boat dock at Kiawah’s westernmost tip. The extensive 11.7-acre grounds include two additional homesites.”

85 Blue Heron Pond Road Kiawah Island SC (2)

The listing describes Kiawah as “a romantic sea island near historic Charleston.” This photo of the marshland and dock appeared in Architectural Digest, and you can read the entire article here. (AD photos by Ken Hayden.)

85 Blue Heron Pond Road Kiawah Island SC (1)

For more photos and information about the property, visit Kiawah Island Real Estate or take the video tour:

Hooked on Waterfront Properties? Click here to see more, including…

Tracery Interiors Lake House Alabama cvrA Lake House in Alabama

Kay May 15, 2013 at 6:31 am

Hola
Exquisite! The details of the exterior are divine: 2 colors of shingle siding for the 1st + 2nd stories, the green window sashes + all that green trim! Isn’t the style of railing called Chinese Chippendale? I love Carolina Lowcountry style, even though it’s usually less formal than here. Southern Living magazine often features Lowcountry houses. Allison Ramsey, from Beaufort, S.C., is one of my favorite architects.
K A Y

Luciane at HomeBunch.com May 15, 2013 at 7:48 am

Oh, I remember posting about this house a while ago… this house stills in my mind. Can you imagine??? Yes… we can, right?! :-)

Wishing you a wonderful day, Julia. I hope you had a great Mother’s Day with your kids.

Big hugs to you!

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Betty819 May 15, 2013 at 8:53 am

Love that sunroom, especially the window treatments. We have a sunroom that gets the sun from sunrise to sunset. We have to keep the mini blinds closed all day long because of the reflection on the tv..Would those type shades help solve our dilemna. I can’t stand to be closed up all day; I feel like I’m suffocating but you see all the reflections of the houses and scenery behind us and it reflects on the tv.and causes such a glare. We saw solar shades in a hotel in Arizona and wonder is that would help or solve our problem?

hookedonhouses May 15, 2013 at 10:14 am

I haven’t really dealt with that issue in my sunroom yet because ours is surrounded by trees. The only time we get too much glare is on winter afternoons, so I’ve been thinking of getting some shades like this myself. Then I could just lower them a little to block the sun and leave the rest of the windows free. I don’t want to cover them up too much. Has anyone else found a good window treatment solution in their sunroom?

Allen526 May 15, 2013 at 9:00 am

The exterior got my hopes up, The interior is way to pastel beach house!
But if someone were to give it to me I’d learn to live with it lol

Catherine May 15, 2013 at 10:11 am

There are some gorgeous interiors here but all I can think about is how many mosquitoes there would be! :))

hookedonhouses May 15, 2013 at 10:16 am

Thank goodness my daydreams over houses like this are blissfully mosquito-free. Ha. :-)

Pat May 15, 2013 at 10:20 am

Ha, ha! Mosquitoes and snakes! It is so beautiful, but there’s where my mind went too!

Jessica May 15, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Me, too! haha We live in NC, and I am cautious about snakes here. I can’t imagine how it would be near a marshland. The mosquitoes were my first thought. I actually think it is much prettier where we live in NC. ;-)

Laura May 15, 2013 at 10:34 am

Mosquitoes are definitely a reality. When I saw the location, all I could think was, “hope they have some good flood insurance”!

Laura May 15, 2013 at 10:38 am

That is a huge house done right. Most houses that size are so cavernous looking and garish. This one has great architectural details that make it look like a grand old home. Love the shingle style exterior – absolutely beautiful! It';s so well done, and a beautiful location, but I fear it may be underwater in 30 years.

Wendy May 15, 2013 at 10:52 am

It’s a beautiful house. But all I could think of was that for $18M that location is not going to fare well with global warming in the next 50 years. Then I saw the porch open to the marsh and realized that mosquitos would be the more immediate challenge.

Nancy May 15, 2013 at 11:24 am

How funny to check your site today- We just returned from 4 days at Kiawah yesterday! Of course we didn’t stay in this home, but yes, there were mosquitos in the evening. Beautiful, clear weather in the mornings and evening with island breezes. It was around 85 during the day. One thing that we saw a LOT of were alligators- many of them. Nevertheless- I would move there in a heartbeat. What a gorgeous place with a fantastic beach.

hookedonhouses May 15, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Lucky you! Sounds like a great place to vacay–alligators, mosquitoes, and all. :)

Jessica May 15, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Didn’t even think about alligators! Oh, my….

Pat May 16, 2013 at 10:44 am

OH Lord…alligators!

Alie B May 15, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Lovely home, but to echo what others have said, the bugs would be terrible and alligators! Eeeeek! It would be a shame to live on the water and not be able to swim for fear of death or dismemberment! :O

liz cunningham May 15, 2013 at 1:30 pm

i love that oval blue chair room with all the blinds, just want to be in there with a book and the window open listening to the wind over the water, big sigh

Kathryn Bechen May 15, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Oh my, that’s a pretty “little” house! I love the bathtub, sunroom, and bedroom architecture.

Elizabeth May 15, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I would be so scared to open a door or window. Still very pretty though.

Mosquitos. Snakes. Alligators.

I’d be a prisoner in my own home. Would anyone else rather deal with an alligator than a snake? Both are deadly but since alligators are big, they can’t hide in your toilet or bed.

Margot May 15, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Moquitos-check!
Alligators-check!
Ungodly heat-check!
Constant upper respiratory infections-check!
Palmetto bugs-check! check! check! Ack! Check me right out!
I moved from the mountains to the Lowcountry and lived there (or tried to) for three years. Because of the high humidity year round, swampy terrain and poor drainage there is a lot of mold, mildew and general bacteria in the air. I had an upper respiratory infection almost the entire time I lived there. Palmetto bugs? If you live there, you know what I’m talking about! Big, mutant cockroaches that can carry off small children and pets. First time I saw one I nearly had a heart attack.

Love the house, but please move it out of the Lowcountry. (No offense if you live there. My working theory is you have to have lived there all your life to be happy and healthy there.)

Kim May 15, 2013 at 11:15 pm

This house is absolutely exquisite. Every single room and detail are so finely done I love it.

The location is very important to me when it comes time to a home and that is the one thing I don’t like about this house. Like others have said, I couldn’t imagine putting up with mosquitoes, alligators, and so forth. Other than that, I love everything else about this house.

Carolyn May 16, 2013 at 12:43 pm

This house is exquisite. I particularly love the Shingle style. But $18 million is a huge chunk of change. For those who’ve never been to the South Carolina low country, the colors of the marsh are dazzling – bright chartreuse greens with brilliant blue water – and constantly changing with the tides, daylight, and weather. Plus there is a sea breeze here, and an abundance of birds and wildlife (besides the ones mentioned above) that are a delight to watch. You can kayak on the water and have dolphins swim nearby. It’s called nature, folks.

Melinda May 16, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Exactly! I’ve been going to Kiawah since I was a kid and this post captured why I keep going back. Between the marshes and the beautiful beaches I can always find something beautiful to watch.

I do think this house is lovely. A wee bit pricey, only about $17,500,000 over my budget!

Amanda May 17, 2013 at 11:04 am

That sunroom is to die for!

Glenis May 17, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Gorgeous home….loved the sunroom with the brick floor…a dream of mine..Although my very first thought when I looked at the first picture was..oh my mosquitos and snakes….oy vey!…:)

mochelle rodgers May 19, 2013 at 11:57 am

Absolutely beautiful house that mixes modern and traditional perfectly. I don’t know that they have mesquitos in Hawaii, but my being from Texas where a two and a half hour drive to anywhere is considered nothing, I could never live on an island. But if I ever hit the lottery this is the house for me, I’ll beg for the copy of the plans.

Stephen July 26, 2013 at 8:47 pm

One of the many beautiful houses on Kiawah. Great photos!

{ 1 trackback }