A French Manor-Style Estate For Sale in Arizona

by hookedonhouses on March 24, 2013

French Manor Estate for sale in Scottsdale ArizonaThis “privately gated, exquisite French Manor Estate” is far from France. The property, which comes with a charming guest house, is on the market for $7.78 million in Scottsdale, Arizona. Check it out:

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (12)

The listing says: “All masonry construction built by Nance and designed by Mark Candelaria. Every detail and finish completed with ultimate quality and execution.”

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (14)

“Timeless and elegant. Beautiful millwork, plastered walls, authentic French stone and wood flooring, custom French doors and 10 fireplaces.”

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (8)

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (15)

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (6)

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (16)

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (13)

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (21)

There are 5 bedrooms and 8 baths.

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (18)

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (5)

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (10)

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (22)

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (4)

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (11)

The listing says: “Gourmet kitchen includes indoor grill, Miele steamer, French stove and built-in espresso maker.”

French Manor Estate kitchen

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (20)

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (9)

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (17)

The property comes with a one-bedroom guest house:

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (24)

Who wouldn’t want to be a guest here? You’d have a hard time getting me out again. But, you know, don’t let that stop you from inviting me over if you buy it!

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (3)

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (25)

“All tile roof imported from France.”

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (23)

Want it? It’s on the market for $7.780 million (it’s not as bad as it sounds–that’s only about $30,000/month ;-)). Check the Coldwell Banker listing with Ellie Shapiro for all the pics and info. Thanks to Dan for telling me about it!

6415 E Exeter Blvd Scottsdale AZ (1)

Hooked on French Style?

French Cottage in Buckhead-decorated-by-Suzanne-Kasler

French Cottage Style in Buckhead

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

Dena Stevens March 24, 2013 at 7:53 am

Beautiful house, can’t say it’s something I’d like but somebody will. I do really like the way the outdoor spaces were arranged. The inclosed glass room and the outdoor living room are just my speed. What a terrific way to enjoy the outdoors year around.

Frances March 24, 2013 at 8:18 am

Pretty to look at, but too clinical to live in for me.

I don’t know if it is the photo angle or just me being weird but in the second bathroom pic the back of the loo-pan (probably has a technical name, but the bit that houses the pipes going into the wall) struck me as freaky – logically I know it can’t be a carving of a child/man stuck under there but that pipework is strange!!

martha March 24, 2013 at 9:08 am

How funny ! One of our toilets (newer one) is just like that and I have always thought it was weird looking too. I don’t really want to see outlines of “those parts” and it does sort of look like a bent over man.

Carisa March 24, 2013 at 8:54 am

Everything is beige and white. O.o The kitchen is a stunner but the rest is too monochromatic.

ShabbyChick March 24, 2013 at 9:06 am

Scottsdale, huh? Ooooh, I could totally see myself being a “Stepford” wife in this house! In love with the greigy color palette…..and right around the corner from my dad’s house, too! ;)

martha March 24, 2013 at 9:10 am

I agree with Carisa, too monochromatic, I know that is the new trend, but give me more color and contrast. It is a lovely house with great details, but for all that money it should be.

Christina from Dallas March 24, 2013 at 9:21 am

So lovely! Perfect in every way. I always wonder how much the electric bill is in one of these multimillion dollar mansions?

Richard March 25, 2013 at 9:18 am

In Arizona I bet it would be plenty.

Kelly - Talk of the House March 24, 2013 at 9:39 am

Although not my style, it is beautiful and very well done. I do love the bathroom with the tub in the middle of the room and the room in the main house with the beamed ceiling. As others have pointed out, it is the monochromatic style of today’s trend, but I do find this house to be much warmer in tone than most I see today. You wouldn’t have to twist my arm to live in it. :)

Kristin March 24, 2013 at 10:15 am

That house is gorgeous! I am not a monochromatic person but I feel like every single one of those rooms is beautiful, well decorated and with beautiful detailing. I think I could hunker down in any of those spaces. I would even almost consider moving to Arizona to live in it – now, if I could just afford it!

Maria March 24, 2013 at 10:29 am

It’s lovely, but this style of house seems so out of place for AZ. It kinda of looks like it was decorated out of a catalog as well, or like a hotel. A bit too monochromatic for me as well.

Tracie March 24, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I totally agree with this. It would be a lovely home elsewhere, but it is pretty much the opposite of what a desert home should be…..and it is way too tremendously huge. Can you imagine the air conditioning bill!!!!

Deb March 24, 2013 at 10:55 am

It’s a beautiful home. A little too elegant for me. In the formal living room… with windows like that, I wouldn’t want my sofa arranged so that I’d be sitting with my back to those beautiful windows and the view they provide.

Laura March 24, 2013 at 10:57 am

Not a fan of this or the last house. I’d love to see a quirky, colorful, personal, hodgepodge of a house!

Neesha March 24, 2013 at 11:22 am

It’s very beautiful but a bit too grand for me. I would love that guest house though.

Jane George March 24, 2013 at 11:48 am

Don’t they have laws against all that lawn in Scottsdale?

Lili March 24, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Parts of this house are just to die for dreamy, and other parts seem too open, too cold. I like space as far as tall ceilings go, but I am not a fan of huge rooms, I want to be very close to others. But then again, it is a stunning house. And if someone offered it to me, I would take it.

CottageGirl March 24, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Gorgeous house! It just keeps going on and on and on!

65andcounting March 24, 2013 at 12:56 pm

It’s rare for me not to find some redeeming quality about a home but nothing about this captures me.

Terry March 24, 2013 at 4:33 pm

You and me both!

valvacious March 24, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Lovely home but too much beige and white. If the background is neutral, throw in some color with curtains, sofas, etc…..

Emma March 24, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Julia, I think this might be one of my all-time favorite homes on your site. I love traditional, but so often it is too fussy and overdone. This house manages to be elegant and traditional, but with a cool, clean, modern look. I’ll take it “as is” and then cover those bathroom pipes!

Sarah March 24, 2013 at 3:40 pm

This house is exquisite. When I started looking at the photos my first inclination was to say, “this is too formal for my taste” or “the architecture/decor is too traditional for me.” But as I viewed photo after photo I saw elements of clean modern style mixed in with the traditional. The carved mirrors, the beamed ceilings, and then a sleek table lamp or lantern…could this be my style? Yes, yes it could. It would be fabulous to be able to afford such a lovely home and to offer my guests that lovely guest house accommodation. Honestly, I’m a bit surprised by all the “meh” comments. I think we might have a few cases of sour grapes here. :-)

Destiny March 24, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Not so much for me, (although I’d gladly pay to check in for a week’s vacation and come home and share how gorgeous it was) but I do love the sink in the island. Different strokes for different folks…

Kim March 25, 2013 at 12:19 am

This is not a house I would expect to be in Arizona. It’s nice, but there’s things I do and don’t like about it.

Esther George March 25, 2013 at 3:24 am

Now that’s what I call living large. It’s very overwhelming…beautiful and can I use the word austere? I do love the guest house and the outdoor areas and that beautiful sun room. Hi Julia this was fun thank you for sharing. Regards Esther from Sydney.

Connie@Connie Nikiforoff Designs March 25, 2013 at 8:51 am

Ooooh lovely! I’m only about $.78 million short of buying this right now! Hahaha! I’m kidding of course. There is so much eye candy in this home I’ll have to save this post and keep looking and looking at it. But what I really liked seeing was the pretty furniture with the more rustic floors. I’ve been wondering about and looking for examples of that combination, thinking it might look a bit too juxtaposed. Here it looks fantastic….Well, maybe someday when we get our carpeting off, I’ll get that rustic wood flooring ;-) Lovely post, as always! This is one of my favorites for so many reasons…I love neutrals, French style and who wouldn’t love the surrounding grounds! WOW! Hey maybe I could just figure out a way to live in the guest house that’s included! ;-)

Carolyn March 25, 2013 at 9:32 am

This is beautifully done, but way too grand for my tastes. While the palette and design is cohesive, it’s too greige and monochromatic for me personally. There are some spaces that really appeal to me, though: the solarium, the family room off the kitchen with its French doors and reclaimed beamed ceiling (the wood here looks more naturally aged), the upstairs hall with box bay windows on either side for lounging or sitting at the desk, and the charming guest cottage. I’m just drawn to smaller, cozier spaces. And all that lawn and plantings, as well as the water features, does seem to be environmentally insensitive for Arizona.

Melissa L. March 25, 2013 at 9:49 am

Too busy for me. In most of the rooms, there is no place for your eyes to rest. The exception is the bedroom with the shoes in it. Also seems pretentious to me–I prefer simplicity to the baroque-osity of this place.

Alie B March 25, 2013 at 11:05 am

I am of 2 minds with this place. It’s true that it isn’t what one would expect in Arizona. I would think it would be terribly hot there most of the year, without central air, so it doesn’t seem very carbon footprint conscious. Some of the rooms feel almost like a thoroughfare; on the way to other rooms, whereas others are large and spacious…almost too much so. I intensely dislike the tiling used in the foyer and I find the office (with sofa and desk against eachother) very cluttered. On a more positive note, I really like the tone on tone decor. I think it would be relaxing. I love the living room, with its full wall unit. I could picture myself working in the smaller office, with the white sofa. That room has a great vibe. The kitchen is absolutely gorgeous and the guest house is to die for! :-)

Erin March 25, 2013 at 1:37 pm

To Alie B., yes, terribly hot, and this home most definitely has central air!!! To those wondering about the electricity bill, we live in a 3,500sf house with a pool. Our electric bills run between $400-$500/month in the summer for cooling (our house has 3 units, and we don’t have a 2nd story- which is much more costly to cool). Keep in mind, the summer here last from about April to the end of Oct. We’ve already hit 90 degrees and the temps will be above 100 degrees for at least 5 months! As far as the lawn, it will need to be watered morning and night every day during the hot months. I’m sure it’s on a timer, and every shrub is on a drip line. I suppose when you are paying $30k/monthly for your mortgage, what’s $5k more for utilities? I grew up in the area where this home is located. It was an area developed in the 50′s/60′s and the homes were all originally single-story brick ranches on one acre lots. The lots were all on irrigation (which meant deep soak irrigation once or so per month). While some are still there, many have been torn down to make way for homes like these. It’s funny how the old homes were much more eco-friendly in a time when that really wasn’t a concern- it was just common sense to build them that way in the heat. This is a beautiful home- and I can appreciate the exquisite detail, but I can’t help being a bit sad on a personal level to see the old neighborhoods go and be replaced by these McMansions- then again this is one of the few old neighborhoods that was built with huge lots before water conservation was a consideration, so one of the only where you could build a house this size/style in Phoenix without cacti in the front yard.

Aria @ TheUglyBarnFarm March 25, 2013 at 4:17 pm

There are some nice things about this house, but personally, if I had $7 million, instead of buying a ‘French’ styled house, I would buy a small country cottage that is actually IN France….retire and live simply on the rest of that money.
But hey, that’s just me.

Caroline March 25, 2013 at 6:08 pm

A very fine house but I can’t love it whole heartedly. It’s missing that patina of the real thing. You just can’t fake that.

Linda Berhman March 26, 2013 at 1:42 am

It’s a beautiful manor, that’s without doubt and extremely tastefully done too. I love the siting arrangement amidst the green. However, that long hallway had kind of freaked me out…moreover, I’d always been dead scared at the idea of living in houses this big!

Deanna March 26, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Absolutely beautiful. I especially liked looking at the ceilings in each room. They paid such close attention to detail and there was no element that was overlooked. I know many others took issue with the lack of authenticity of the home or the fact it seems so wasteful and extreme particularly in the drought stricken southwest. I can see how one would feel this way, however, when you just look at the structure and design it is undeniably lovely.

Juliet March 26, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Not my taste really, but can appreciate some of the touches: outdoor living room, guest house & the sunroom…because if I live someplace grand enough to warrant these spaces, I should not complain about anything!

What I find weird: the kitchen (although I’m sure it’s huge) almost looks small relative to the size of the house, like extra space to circulate between prep areas and the breakfast room is missing. And the Master bathtub (I’m sure it’s worth more than my car) reminds me of a icedown tub in a locker room, like a soak is a punishment. The exposed pipes are just something I would never choose to see.

tammyCA March 26, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Do they have a little guest cottage? I’d probably prefer that…with color.

tammyCA March 26, 2013 at 10:47 pm

oh, I see it does…it blended in so I missed it. But, yeah this house looks way outta place in the desert.

Kimberly March 27, 2013 at 8:52 am

Somehow I missed this when you first posted, but by the end of all the pics it struck me that the decor color scheme isn’t that much different than the RH staged craftsman that received so much negative feedback (including from me). Yet, this home seems brighter somehow. I had to go back and figure out the difference and it may be as simple as the lighting (well, besides that this architecture is just prettier)! The craftsman needed all the lights on, during what appeared to be a sunny day, to be photographed and it still looked dark! So maybe it wasn’t so much the RH furnishings, but the design of the house that seems to not let in enough light that’s the real problem with the craftsman.

AlvinGardner June 19, 2013 at 7:52 am

Wow! It is awesome. This property has also a 1 bedroom guest house. It looks really amazing with french tiles in all over roof. and kitchen includes indoor grill, Miele steamer, French stove and built-in espresso maker is really impressive.