Daydreaming: Lake House Love in Alabama

by hookedonhouses on March 1, 2013

Tracery Interiors Lake House Alabama cvrTracery Interiors worked their magic on this lovely lake house in Alabama, creating a home where every day could feel like a vacation. I felt more relaxed just looking through the photos! The family who lives in this home on a prominent point at Lake Martin wanted a place to get away from their busy lives in Birmingham.

Tracery Interiors Lake House Alabama dining rm

The designers say: “Inside the home, reclaimed timbers frame a central living space with dramatic windows overlooking the lake.”

Tracery Interiors Lake House Alabama hall

“French antiques are paired with raw wood and galvanized metal to create an aesthetic that’s light, airy and unexpected.”

Tracery Interiors Lake House Alabama bedroom

“The use of a similar color palette from room to room creates continuity throughout the home.”

Tracery Interiors Lake House paneled walls landing

For more photos and information visit Tracery Interiors. (You may have seen Paige Sumblin Schnell, who heads the firm, featured in this month’s BHG.) Photography by Jean Allsopp.

Tracery Interiors Lake House Alabama kitchen

Speaking of lake houses, who could forget this one…

The Lake House with Keanu Reeves Sandra Bullock cvrHow They Built a Glass House for The Lake House

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

House Crazy Sarah March 1, 2013 at 9:04 am

That is a dreamy house! Part of the day-dream for me is having the $$$ to afford a summer house and a high dollar designer to go with it!
But hey, daydreams are what keep you going.

Amanda S. March 1, 2013 at 9:11 am

Yep!

Patti March 1, 2013 at 10:02 am

Hey! I have had that kitchen saved in my kitchen folders for a long time. It’s great to see the rest of the house. Love that fireplace.

Catherine March 1, 2013 at 10:24 am

It is nice to see the islands done in such a different way. I dream of an island with a slab of marble on top…. ah, one day!

Ryan Hart March 2, 2013 at 5:56 pm

It definitely is refreshing to see new kitchen island ideas like this one. Taking a massive island and turning it into two separate work spaces is extremely clever.

Catherine, I hope you get that dream island. I bet you could install a small marble island like this one for less than you think!

Carolyn March 1, 2013 at 10:44 am

Yep, love their work. I have some pics from their portfolio in my personal dream file. I love their blend of rustic/antique/traditional with a sparer modern vibe and their soothing palettes. I love all the wood here with the mix of painted and raw reclaimed. I would also like to see her do a lake/mountain house where the wood retains its natural color like a honey pine. (Personal interest here – I have a log cabin in the mountains.) Not everyone wants to paint or whitewash all their wood. And though lovely and light, I personally can’t live with white upholstery or slipcovers – too many boys/men/dogs in my family! I’d be washing them constantly. So, though I love the look, I couldn’t live with it except in a bedroom.

Alie B March 1, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I agree….would love to see something similar to this, but blended with natural wood as opposed to fully painted. I too have a log cabin and have considered partially whitewashing the interior, but not fully. I think all white and muted could become “chilly” in a more northern setting. I also agree with your slipcover assessment. Much as I love them in other people’s homes, in reality, they would be constant maintenance, which wouldn’t be relaxing at all! :)

Kay March 1, 2013 at 10:49 am

Hola
Oh, yum! Horizontal planks rule, do they not? Is this decor style Belgian? It’s interesting to see all these all-neutral interiors, because it seems all my shelter magazines are emphasizing color!
KAY
RedBird

naneki March 1, 2013 at 10:55 am

whoa…nice ‘lake house’, but I prefer my little fishing cabin. Eclectically decorated, of course! ;)

Nita March 1, 2013 at 11:20 am

Soooooo tired of pale colors. Blech.

Lisa March 1, 2013 at 9:10 pm

My sentiments exactly.

Ann March 1, 2013 at 11:40 am

Oh you made me remember my crush on Keanu years ago
I wonder what he’s up to now.
After watching that movie I always thought that owning a lake house is so cool.

That house looks so good
and the kitchen for me looks perfect.

Sue March 1, 2013 at 11:57 am

I am in love with the neutral colors blended throughout the house, it is so calming as you say. I am always dreaming that someday me and the hubby can retire on a lake somewhere.

Laura March 1, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Okay, it is soothing if you’re looking at it on the computer during a hectic day at work. But if I’m at the lake I’m already calm and this house might just put me to sleep. A little color, please, even if it’s muted! Not loving the light fixtures. My husband would call that style “Spanish Inquisiton”.

Mari-Lynn March 1, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Ahhhhh…just lovely! My dad was Air Force, and we lived in Montgomery in the early 70′s. I learned to water ski on Lake Martin and spent several weeks each summer at Girl Scout Camp there! Nothing at all like this beautiful retreat, but treasured just the same! LOVE that fireplace!

nanne March 1, 2013 at 5:40 pm

absolutely, yet quietly beautiful!

my family has had a cabin on lake martin since the 1950′s….i really wish it looked like this one!

Kim March 1, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Lovely lake house. I could see my self relaxing in there.

Ricki Jill Treleaven March 1, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Our cabin is on Lake Martin. Not that fancy, but Lake Martin is a fun place to be, I tell ya! Thanks for posting. Can’t wait ’til summer!

xo,
RJ

Dava March 1, 2013 at 11:21 pm

This is by far, the most beautiful home I have seen you blog. Maybe because I love Maine so much. The wide beadboard walls, stone fireplace and sea glass accents are understated but stunning. And did you notice the grey washed wooden floors throughout? It’s Gull Cottage in Alabama!

Julie B. [Holland] March 2, 2013 at 3:14 am

Julia those photos were beautiful! …….. I was wondering if you might be able to help me with a techy kind of problem? Im having a hard time making my name and email stay in the comment section on a couple of blogs they have word press like you use. In the last week Ive tried everything do you have any hints on how I can fix this? Thanks if you can, if you cant Ill just keep doing it manually :( ( Ive followed these blogs for a long time and this just happened last week or so )

hookedonhouses March 2, 2013 at 9:18 am

Hi Julie! My husband works with computers so I asked him about the problem you’re having and he said it sounds like a browser issue. The blogs themselves don’t hang onto your info–your browser is saving it for you. Hope that helps! :)

Julie B. [Holland] March 3, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Thanks for the fast reply but what I dont understand is , I didnt change a thing on my computer so why would it change on the two blogs? I use Mozilla , could you ask him please if there is anything I should check on to make that info stay ? Yours stayed here on your site. Thanks again! :)

Screendoorgirl 3 March 2, 2013 at 7:58 am

Gorgeous! Love the soft color palette and the dining chairs..

Jane George March 2, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Hahahahahaha, at first glance I thought there were four trash cans around the table. Silly me.

I love the bones and the light in this house. Lovely.

martha March 2, 2013 at 5:45 pm

This home is lovely, but I really am not a fan of the white, gray washed, neutrals that seem to be the rage now. I know everyone says the white slipcovers are so easy because you can bleach them, but my children and now grandchildren would have kept Clorox in business. Also, I know from experience that slip covers have a tendency to shrink and not fit properly after washing. I guess I just need more color and contrast, this house would not be calming to me.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs March 2, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Gorgeous home!!…so loved it!!

Kirsten March 2, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I could not find how to contact you so I’m posting a question here…sorry if it’s the wrong place! I really, really want to know more about a house! It was in Patriot Games, I think. The movie has Harrison Ford and Anne Archer…they show a house on a cliff on what I suppose is supposed to be in the Maryland, D.C. Virginia area– though I think it kind of looks like Maine??? Do you know the house I’m thinking of??? I’d really like to see more of that one! Thanks!

hookedonhouses March 3, 2013 at 9:13 am

Hi Kirsten! I have a page just for Movie Houses: http://hookedonhouses.net/houses-onscreen/. I’m afraid I don’t know anything about the “Patriot Games” house, though. Sorry!

Judy March 2, 2013 at 7:34 pm

tracey does wonderful work…i especially loved their southern living idea house in senioa, ga. they decorated last year.

we LIVE on lake martin during the summer,…there are many gorgeous places there. i wonder which one this is? (LOL) i’ll have to send you some pics from the lake when we get out on the boat this summer

Judy

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com March 3, 2013 at 9:33 am

I keep staring at this one.
I love it so.

Barbara March 4, 2013 at 11:31 am

We have a wonderful little beach cottage but we’re ready to relocate. I would love a lake house with a deck overlooking the waterfront area. I imagine it with this type of decor.

{ 2 trackbacks }