A Classic 1700s Farmhouse For Sale in the Hamptons

by hookedonhouses on February 24, 2013

1700s Farmhouse-700 Hedges SagaponackThis great old house from the early 1700s sits on nearly an acre in the Hamptons, framed by a white picket fence. The listing describes it as a “stunning vintage 3,500+ square-foot farmhouse in bucolic Sagaponack South.”

700 Hedges Sagaponack living rm

The property is listed at $6.5 million. It’s in one of the most expensive zip codes in the U.S.

700 Hedges Sagaponack dining room fireplace

The kitchen was “recently updated.”

700 Hedges Sagaponack kitchen

It reminds me of the country kitchen in Renee Zellweger’s 1770s farmhouse in Connecticut (but hers doesn’t have the beamed ceilings). Remember that one?

700 Hedges Sagaponack kitchen eating area

The house has 5 bedrooms and 5.5 baths.

700 Hedges Sagaponack bedroom fireplace

700 Hedges Sagaponack bedroom beamed ceilings

700 Hedges Sagaponack sitting room

This might be my favorite room of all–the enclosed porch. This is where you’d find me on sunny days:

700 Hedges Sagaponack enclosed porch

The grounds are charming, too, with a pool house…

700 Hedges Sagaponack pool house

…and heated gunite pool:

700 Hedges Sagaponack pool house and pool

There’s even a little “tea house:”

tea house and garden

tea house

Want it? Check the listing at Corcoran Real Estate for more photos and information.

inside the tea house

On Sundays I feature houses that are for sale. Click here to see more, including…

Bainbridge-Island-Hamptons-style-home

A Hamptons-Style House in Washington

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

CottageGirl February 24, 2013 at 9:29 am

The house is so very charming, but throw in the pool house, the pool, AND the tea house and you’ve got me! Idyllic!

Kay Holsted February 24, 2013 at 9:44 am

Hola

This looks a lot like the Hamptons house where Mary Emmerling lived (circa 80′s?) I have all her books + went to a book signing once. I’m a fan! I heard she’s a co-owner of a new store in Santa Fe (I think?), but I can’t find anything about it. Well, maybe I’ll go look inside the book with those Hamptons house photos. Maybe I’ll blog about her! Love yours!

Sincerely,
K A Y
RedBird Vintage Home

hookedonhouses February 24, 2013 at 9:49 am

It does! If you find out it was hers, let us know. That would be so cool! Thanks, Kay. :-)

grapevine93 February 24, 2013 at 11:52 am

you may be right on that house. I enjoyed Ms. Emerling & still often use her cookbook-have wondered where she disappeared to?

ShabbyChick February 24, 2013 at 10:18 am

Wow, the Hamptons are definitely a bucket list destination! I love shingle houses. Really, that sunroom is to die for! Mmmmm….so much goodness right there! ;)

Christna from Dalas February 24, 2013 at 10:57 am

One (or more who knows?) great designer plus 6 million dollars equals one beautiful house! Those Hampton people have spectacular taste!

Christina from Dallas February 24, 2013 at 11:01 am

Oops! I was typing so fast I typed my name and city wrong. See, I’m just not cut out for the Hamptons.

Sue February 24, 2013 at 11:21 am

You had me at tea house! Plus, I agree, the sunroom is the most wonderful.

House Crazy Sarah February 24, 2013 at 11:23 am

What a fantastic historic home! I appreciate that they left the old hand-hewn beams exposed and in tact when they did the reno.

Joan February 24, 2013 at 11:37 am

“Bucolic” is often overdone, but this property is the very definition of the word!

Jake's a Girl February 24, 2013 at 11:42 am

Love!

Charisse February 24, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Shingle style homes are my absolute favorite. Even when large they seem to exude a welcoming tone. This one is simply lovely in every way.

Teresa February 24, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Beautiful….a real classic and timeless Hamptons home. I noticed that the home is listed by Corcoran Real Estate. I am guessing that is the same company started by real estate guru Barbara Corcoran? While I enjoy seeing her profile different homes from around the US on NBC’s “TODAY” show, I am often put off by her commentary from time to time when she critiques the sellers choice of paint colors, furniture, fixtures, etc. Yeah, I know she has a “tell it like it is approach” to things but I feel it just distracts from the home she is profiling.

hookedonhouses February 24, 2013 at 12:34 pm

That’s right, Barbara Corcoran started the real estate company. I believe she sold it a few years ago, though, and is no longer running it.

Jane February 24, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Boy oh Boy! This is my dream house. I’d be happy to live in just the tea house. Thanks for showing it to us, Julia!

Brandy February 24, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Oh oh oh! This place is amazing–I don’t think I’d change a thing. I think I’d even try to buy the furnishings…you know, if I had that kind of money.

Kelly - Talk of the House February 24, 2013 at 2:27 pm

What a charming home! I am with you on loving that enclosed porch. It is perfect! And having that pool doesn’t hurt one bit either.
Thanks for sharing another lovely house!

Jane February 24, 2013 at 3:31 pm

what a stunner! although the ceiling and doorways look a little low for my very tall husband.

Sandra February 24, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Absolutly love the home. We have a large screened porch on the back of our home overlooking 2 acres and our pond. It is what cinched the deal for us on buying our home. (And yes I spend as much time out there as I can enjoying my shabby chic/junktique decor! )

Kim February 25, 2013 at 1:20 am

What a charming home! I could definitely see myself living here.

MsCordelia February 25, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Love it, just beautiful. I’ve been decorating my home in a similar “Hamptons” style. Wouldn’t the little “tea” house be a nice escape when you want to have some girly gossip and don’t want anyone eavesdropping?

theSavvySeeker February 25, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Wow! I don’t know if I’d shell out $6.5 million for this baby…but she’s pretty! I still love a nice traditional home…but for that price tag, I think it could use some updating…just sayin’…

Kitty February 26, 2013 at 1:51 am

I love the home, but I’m not a fan of the furnishings at all. I realize they are compatible with the style and age of the home, but if it were my home, I would freshen up the decor a bit.

The Country Girl February 26, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Simply beautiful. This has a wonderful authenticity that shines through even the many remodelings, renovations and additions.

Dorothy Durbin February 27, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Love, love, love the home. Thank you for sharing.

J.B. Lawence March 4, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Quaint is the word, between rustic and traditional, with a country flair. I’d need the home theater and plasma tv’s. Maybe hidden tho.

Screendoorgirl 3 May 20, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I’m going to cry.. So, so pretty! That sunroom is so perfect . I love!!

Karen July 7, 2013 at 10:07 am

Such a lovely home–classic and timeless. I love that sun room. It’s perfect just as it is.

{ 4 trackbacks }