Beware of These 7 Scary Real Estate Listings

by hookedonhouses on October 31, 2012

1. When they have to announce that a house isn’t haunted, it’s never a good sign.

2. The bad news is that this house is haunted. The good news is that he cooks breakfast.

3. Raise your hand if the headless woman from the Civil War era would make you jump when you came up those stairs…

4. A bathroom that looks like a crime scene always makes a listing memorable.

5. Nothing like a “Welcome” sign in the entry hall to make visitors feel right at home. “Is Slaughter the family’s last name?”

6. Anyone else thinking of the “Rubber Man” from American Horror Story?

7. You might want to put an area rug right…there.

More Creepiness in the Real Estate Listings:

6 Freaky Real Estate Photos for Halloween

“Buy This House or Else…”

5 Very Scary Real Estate Listings

Visit My “Funny Listing Photos” Page to See Them All!

(Stained floor via Curbed. Bloody tub via AOL Real Estate. Kristina snapped the “Not Haunted” sign. Sharon found the cooking ghost in a New Zealand listing. Headless woman via Old House Dreams. “Slaughterhouse” was from a listing in California.)

Casey P October 31, 2012 at 7:49 am

OMG, these are all pretty scary, but that one of the bathtub is just FREAKY! YIKES!! I love Halloween – thanks for sharing these :)

House Crazy Sarah October 31, 2012 at 8:08 am

wow – those are hilarious Julia! WTH is in that bathtub!?!?! *shivers*
I gotta get me one of those “not haunted” real estate signs!

Aria @ThePaintedPostcard October 31, 2012 at 9:02 am

Creepy. Just Creepy.
I don’t want to know what is in that bathtub.

But I do like that country prim kitchen!

Teresa October 31, 2012 at 9:16 am

Really creepy. The bedroom floor looks like it needs to be roped off with yellow crime scene tape.

Dean October 31, 2012 at 9:17 am

Funny…and disturbing. Happy Halloween!

Christina from Dallas October 31, 2012 at 9:19 am

Wow these are good for a laugh today! Can’t believe the realtors took these pictures and posted them!

Carisa October 31, 2012 at 9:41 am

I took a picture of a real estate sign with “Not Haunted” on it just the other day. Too funny! Pretty sure the building in question IS haunted.

Danielle October 31, 2012 at 10:05 am

I wonder if the agent has documentation to prove it’s not haunted? Are there home inspectors that will look for them, along with dry rot and asbestos?

Is that bathtub picture from an actual listing? Regardless, it’s gross!

hookedonhouses October 31, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Yes, that was in a listing. They could have stood back and taken a photo of the side of the tub that didn’t show what was inside, but no. Delightful, isn’t it?

Shabby Chick October 31, 2012 at 10:52 am

Is the real estate sign for real? Who knew they made a sign for that? The blood in the tub and that attic thingy……yikes.

hookedonhouses October 31, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Carisa said she saw a “Not Haunted” sign the other day, too. Is that suddenly a big selling point in real estate?

Anitra October 31, 2012 at 11:18 am

Actually, “Slaughter” is my mother-in-law’s last name! She remarried so it’s not mine-thankfully. Lol!

hookedonhouses October 31, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I knew a family with that last name growing up, too. As long as they don’t paint “Welcome to the Slaughter House” on the wall, they’re probably okay. Ha.

Laura October 31, 2012 at 11:42 am

Love your captions – too funny!

Parnassus October 31, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Hello Julia, It looks like the head from the Civil War dress floated over to the portrait on the stairs. Also, if I could get such a big, floored attic, I wouldn’t mind sharing it with one small demon.

As a matter of fact, I don’t know why people insist on non-haunted. I lived in a haunted house for years, and quite appreciated the experience.
–Road to Parnassus

Western Warmth October 31, 2012 at 1:16 pm

The writing on the wall reminds me of some of the foreclosure listings my hubby looked at during his real estate career. The things they had written on them would not be shareable on a “family friendly” site. Apparently they were inhabited by gangs or something. Creepy stuff out there! :)

The Happy Mother October 31, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Thanks for posting the photo I sent you (the “not haunted” one). It is a real photo and in fact it’s still there! It is in the Southwest Garden neighborhood of St Louis, Missouri.

Beth A. October 31, 2012 at 3:36 pm

love that kitchen — a ghost that cooks is always welcome in my house!

hookedonhouses October 31, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Mine, too! I could use one, actually. Ha.

Amy October 31, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Perfect post considering the day. Happy Halloween!!

Lindsay October 31, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Thanks for the laughs!!
I think the dress picture is spooky because its blocking the door. I can imagine some old homeowner saying in a raspy voice- “You must never open the last door down the hall…” EEK!

hookedonhouses October 31, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Ha!

Rebecca@MidcenturyModernRemodel November 1, 2012 at 8:57 am

I love these posts! Bad MLS is my favorite. Okay, let’s talk American Horror Story. I was so creeped out by last year, I can’t bring myself to watch this year. Is it good?

hookedonhouses November 1, 2012 at 9:17 am

I’m with you, Rebecca–so creeped out by the first season that I’ve steered clear of the new one. I heard it’s even scarier. Yikes.

ESB November 4, 2012 at 2:09 am

This was a pretty fun post. I will look out for listings like this in the Denver real estate market.

Erik Cabral November 8, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Hilarious.

If he promised to cook breakfast at least five mornings a week I’d probably put up with him.

hookedonhouses November 8, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Me, too!

real estate listings November 16, 2012 at 6:52 am

One of my aunt purchased a haunted house, even though she is comfortable in living there but for other family members it’s a horrifying experience!!I if you want to get rid of many guests just buy a house with roomers!!!

Aubrey January 24, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I personally don’t care for ghosts, but at least he would make you eggs and bacon in the morning! He looks kind of friendly too.
That dress is so creepy. Maybe they DIDN’T want to sell the house. :)
I am telling myself that could have been bath salts or juice…

{ 2 trackbacks }