The Watch House: A Seaside Retreat in Cornwall

by hookedonhouses on September 23, 2012

It’s easy for me to get lost on websites that feature beautiful and unusual houses you can rent on vacation. I especially love daydreaming over coastal properties like this one. The Watch House is a seaside retreat that sits above the water in Downderry, Cornwall (U.K.). Take a look!

The listing for this rental says, “The gardens are a nature lover’s paradise with five acres of secluded wooded grounds bound by National Trust land.”

Maybe it’s because Fall has officially begun, and we woke up to chilly 40-degree temps this morning, but this looks like the perfect place to curl up by a fire and drink some hot tea.

It sleeps up to 8 guests.

There’s a balcony off the master bedroom that overlooks the water:

This is referred to as the “play den” on the property:

There’s a more contemporary boat house you can rent, too:

Check Unique Home Stays for more photos and information about booking the Watch House. (Thanks to Claire for telling me about it!)

P.S. Prefer something cozier on your holiday?

This romantic beach hut in Cornwall is where Kate Winslet has stayed, and Demi Moore filmed a spooky movie in it.

Megan September 23, 2012 at 8:32 am

Beautiful…I love a good daydream looking at holiday rentals too!! I haven’t been to Cornwall for years but its such a beautiful place,and this definitely makes me want to return! Not too far for us either. Loving your blog from across the water : )

Linda@limeinthe coconut September 23, 2012 at 9:44 am

LOVE this place…packing my wellies and getting ready to go!!!

Dean September 23, 2012 at 9:46 am

Beautiful home, but I’ll take the boat house. In this case I prefer the modern. And those views are spectacular!

Carolyn September 23, 2012 at 10:58 am

I’ll take it! Have long dreamed of romantic Cornwall. Would be a great place to curl up and read a Rosamunde Pilcher novel. I love seeing these English *holiday* homes. Quite different from most American ones. Look at those paintings and antiques and the grand piano, not to mention that Aga!

Jane September 23, 2012 at 11:04 am

Just beautiful. Cornwall certainly looks serene. I love to do a bit of armchair traveling also. In the fall I take “trips” to NH, Vermont and Bucks County. Winter finds me visiting the Swiss Alps and the Black Forest region of Germany. Sometimes I’ll pop over to Sun Valley. The spring is for England, Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket. In the summer I’m too busy to daydream! I’ve taken many trips via your lovely blog. Thank you !

laney September 23, 2012 at 12:52 pm

…love it all…especially love the painting over the first fireplace…and the one hanging above the last sofa…but the most beautiful art of all is that fabulous view…blessings laney (why do you suppose we americans have such a love affair with the british? as if we are being called home)….

Beth A September 23, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Lovely house and grounds! Interestingly there is booze in almost every room, too. The owners probably make a nice tidy income off the place, but it cannot be easy to give it over to renters, instead of residing there.

Gloria September 23, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Funny! I noticed the booze in almost every room as well.

Kaitlyn September 23, 2012 at 1:35 pm

So lovely and breathtaking! I can think of nothing sweeter right now than curling up with my family by that fire. Thanks for sharing!

Spring September 23, 2012 at 1:56 pm

It has an Aga! I’m sold.

Lisa T. September 23, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Yes! Don’t know how to use it but I want to play with one so Badly!

On another note: Can you swim off the coast of Cornwall? I didn’t see an actual beach. Do you just look at the water and ride on it in cute little row boats wearing funny hats?

sue September 26, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Lisa – Not sure exactly where that house is, but you absolutely can swim on the beach in St. Ives -

Tami September 23, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Swoon… a dream vacation in a beautiful home.
Thanks for sharing.

Kelly @ Talk of the House September 23, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I really like the main house, and I am not usually fond of modern, but that boat house is to die for! The smallness of it must make it seem more cozy to me. Thank you for sharing another beautiful place with us.
Kelly

Kim September 24, 2012 at 12:05 am

What a peaceful and relaxing place. I would never want to leave if I stayed here.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com September 24, 2012 at 9:08 am

Wow. Can I move in?

Cate September 24, 2012 at 10:42 am

If you want to see more of Cornwall that will make your heart ache, check out “Doc Martin” on Hulu. Amazing little houses!

c September 25, 2012 at 10:11 pm

The furnishings are too modern for my taste. But looks nice anyway. I was hoping for an older look

LouAnn September 28, 2012 at 11:50 am

Gorgeous setting, thanks for sharing.