A 1920s Brick Italianate in the German Village of Columbus

by hookedonhouses on August 26, 2012

As a Buckeye myself, this living room jumped out at me when I saw it in the real estate listings. I’m not always a fan of words spelled out on walls, but I thought the “OHIO” was fun. It belongs to a brick Italianate house for sale in the German Village neighborhood of Columbus.

The house was featured in the March 2010 issue of Midwest Living and is now on the market for $950,000. Take a look!

It was built in 1920. Love the brick street and sidewalk.

I did a double-take at the globes spilling out of the fireplace:

Remember when I told you that interior brick walls and brick tiles were the big trend at this year’s Homearama? Here they are again:

The house has 3 bedrooms, 4 baths, and 3,400 square feet.

This bathroom is interesting with the curved wall above the sink:

Want it? For more photos and information, check the listing. Their website says there will be an Open House today, so if you’re looking for a house in the Columbus area, you might want to stop by. (Thanks to Teresa for telling me about it!)

P.S. On Sundays I feature interesting houses that are for sale. Click here to see more.

Laura August 26, 2012 at 8:40 am

Love the exterior and the kitchen. The rest is nice but too modern for my taste. Not a fan of the curved wall in the bathroom, but I really like the paintings (paint by numbers?) I’d like the OHIO sign more in a loft, but it’s cool.

bermudaonion(Kathy) August 26, 2012 at 8:42 am

I could easily live in that house!

Xenia August 26, 2012 at 8:42 am

I love the kitchen and the bathrooms; especially the one with the curved ceiling and all the framed pictures. I don’t like the general modernization of the house though. I believe in buying a house for what it is and if you prefer modern then buy a more modern home. Leave the older historic ones for those who appreciate them. Once the historic details are ripped out that is it. For instance the staircase now looks boxed in without the usual stair spindles. I don’t like that look at all. It is a beautiful house though.

Xenia August 26, 2012 at 8:43 am

I meant to write curved WALL, not curved ceiling.

65andcounting August 26, 2012 at 8:58 am

Sure looks move-in ready to me. I adore that people fix up old row homes. It might not be my taste but looks like no detail was skipped. Bravo.

If I were selling this home, the whimsy in me would play a little political joke and have the neon letters O-H-I-O spelled wrong like Obama did last week: O-I-H-O. You’d see who pays attention and who has a sense of humor!

Jano August 26, 2012 at 5:50 pm

They did misspell it. I am pretty sure it should be spelled M-I-C-H-I-G-A-N.

Let the games begin.

Holly M August 26, 2012 at 6:09 pm

The President did not spell O-H-I-O wrong, it was a reversed photograph. Do not believe everything you see, as pretty much everything is photoshopped these days. Go Bucks! Love German Village!

The Glamorous Housewife August 26, 2012 at 9:03 am

I am LOVING the vintage paint-by-numbers collection in the bathroom! Swoon!

Thanks doll,
The Glamorous Housewife

House Crazy Sarah August 26, 2012 at 9:13 am

Fun, fun, FUN! I love it! Globes coming out of the fireplace? Who thinks up these things??? (Makes me wonder if they have kids though… my kids would have a hey-day with the poor globes!)
Great house – stunning decor, and beautiful curb appeal!

Sue K August 26, 2012 at 9:16 am

I just love those cobblestone streets. I have very fond memories of my grandfather’s house on a busy cobblestone street, and the hum of the tires of the cars and trucks going by (growing up in Minneapolis). The globes in the fireplace are a fabulous look, but I’m not sure how I feel about big words on walls in more than one room – assuming “ZZZ” over the bed is a word, of course. Very attractive home.

G August 26, 2012 at 9:17 am

Very pretty! Got to see a little bit of German Village when we dropped our student off at OSU last weekend! Still hearing O – H… :)

Parnassus August 26, 2012 at 9:43 am

I really like this house, although the price seems very steep. I especially like the facade and the deck. The globes in the fireplace are a bit too whimsical–they must have misunderstood the phrase “setting the world on fire”.

F August 28, 2012 at 10:37 am

A new take on global warming! :-)

Ricki Jill Treleaven August 26, 2012 at 9:54 am

Julia, my daughter and I went on a road trip in July from Alabama to the finger lakes region of upstate New York. We also made some stops along the way: visiting friends and family and stopping at a few fantastic independent book stores. One was The Book Loft in German Village. We LOVED Columbus, especially the German Village. It was one of the highlights of our trip. We were intrigued with the quaint cottages there, and I really wanted to peek inside one. I even posted a photo of a really cute cottage on my blog.

Thanks for showing us the interior of this cute home. I really enjoyed this post! :D

XO,
RJ

Ricki Jill Treleaven August 26, 2012 at 9:56 am

Oh, and I think the house is neat. It looks like a collection of paint by numbers in the bath. :D

Tracey August 26, 2012 at 10:38 am

I have always loved the look of a brick house. There is something so comforting about the straight and solid look of them. thanks for sharing

Grand D August 26, 2012 at 10:49 am

Very playful. I like the curved wall with small tiles (?) in the bathroom. That texture is great.

Terry August 26, 2012 at 11:04 am

This is a truly beautiful home. But here is the dilemma facing all homeowners: how much remodeling do you do, how do you balance your taste with the tastes of the prospective market? I would be curious to see what happens once the home is sold. How many walls are replaced/removed, is any of the interior brick painted/removed, are the bathrooms/kitchen remodeled to reflect the period of the house, etc. If you are the homeowner and money is no object, you do as you damned well please. If money is a serious consideration, what now? I don’t plan to sell my house but everything I consider must be thought out very carefully. After, my children will be responsible for selling the house someday.

Christina August 26, 2012 at 11:11 am

I live in Columbus and have been in this home. The owners of the home also own a graphic design firm here in town… let me tell you, the photos are flat, this home is incredible. every room makes your eyes happy and the outdoor space is amazing.

Christina August 26, 2012 at 11:14 am

They do not have children and to Terry, this house has been for sale for years, 3, I think. You may be right, while it’s move in ready for me, I’m guessing that there are more buyers looking for tradition. The price has come way down, was around 1.2 when it listed.

hookedonhouses August 26, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Oh, really? Interesting! Thanks, Christina.

Terry August 26, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Christina,
Thanks! Remodeling, then ultimately selling a house is full of pitfalls. I personally don’t have the time or unlimited budget to buy and update an older home (I can only dream about it) but it has to be tough!

Angie M September 5, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Do you happen to have artist info for the bovine painting? I simply love it!

Claudia August 26, 2012 at 11:15 am

I really don’t understand how people can complain that an old house has been modernized. I mean, houses change over time. When our ancestors bought a house in the 1840′s that had been built in the 1790′s, they changed it to accommodate their needs and the way they lived then. Nothing is static. Complaining about modernizing a house is like complaining that we don’t still use the words “thee” and “thou” like the original American colonists did. Things change.

Shannon August 26, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Yes, things change, which is partly why many people don’t want old houses to change. It’s not only sentiment, it’s also aesthetics and history. Much of what gets torn out of older houses is irreplaceable, whether it’s materials or artistry, and there’s a richness and beauty to much of it that can’t be replaced by going shopping or hiring someone. It’s gone forever.
People want their houses to have modern conveniences. No one complains about indoor plumbing or updated electrical wiring. But when people throw out or tear up older features of a house that didn’t need to go, they are imposing their values on the rest of us who love those things and want to live with them and can’t just go out and buy them at, I don’t know, Ikea.
Houses don’t actually have to change, unlike much of what happens in this world. Everyone with the privilege of a roof over their head should get to live with whatever feels comfortable and homey to them without expecting to have to live with whatever is trending right now just because “things change”.

Terry August 26, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Claudia,
Boy, did you hit the nail on the head! All of the oldest homes on the market (and I mean old) didn’t originally have bathrooms, electricity or plumbing. These houses may originally have had only 2 rooms. If they hung around long enough, they grew almost organically and ended up covering countless generations (many of who were descendents of the original builder) and reflecting the style of the day (including the furniture). Historic restorationists face this every day. It is probably asking too much of most of us to consider this. We can now move at whim. Building codes preclude adding on or up. We decorate at the breath of every trend. For good or ill, we have our own definition of permanence.

Christina,
Thanks for the update! Some of the entries here remarked about the fact that maybe too many modernizations were made to the home (or that they weren’t period specific). Very valid point, but could any of us live in a house exactly as constructed in 1920? That is the dilemma I was talking about and I agonize over myself. No home should be a museum. Personally, I like what has been done to this beautiful building. It suits our current lifestyle while honoring the building’s history. With the “HGTVing” of our homes, what is a poor seller to do? Obviously, these problems don’t necessarily apply to the average house built in, say, 1980; but a Craftsman? A 1985 Victorian? A 1900 Brownstone? Wish I had the money to have to really worry about these things but I love to ponder. And ponder, I do. I LOVE HOUSES!

Terry August 26, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Shannon,
I couldn’t have said it better.

Kelly @ Talk of the House August 26, 2012 at 12:03 pm

VERY well done. I especially like the little bit of landscaping that it has. Not my style, but if it were I would really love it. The globes coming out of the fireplace are quite unusual…at first I thought they were balls that children play with!

Sharon Reid August 26, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I’d buy it even though my tastes go towards cottage/farmhouse styles. The one thing I didn’t care for was the brownish walls in the dining room. I’d change that.

Tracie August 26, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Love the house! The globes are lost on me. ?????

Terry August 26, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Tracy,
I kind of like the globes. But, what about young children, grandchildren, dogs, cats, thinking to themselves, “WOW! Beach Balls!!”

Beth B. August 26, 2012 at 1:14 pm

As a local Columbus gal, I took special interest in this home! Love German Village and enjoy their Haus and Garten tour each June. Thanks for sharing , I would like to share on my FB page. Now, do I have time to run down there and see this awesome home today in person? O-H……I-O!

Terry August 26, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Lucky, lucky, lucky you! My next road trip, I’m going to Ohio. Give this beautiful home all my love.

Shabby Chick August 26, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Hmmmm. Shabby likes one thing – that curved wall in the bathroom. That’s all folks! ;)

Western Warmth August 26, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Such beautiful house eye-candy :). Thanks, Julia :)

paula soares August 26, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Thank you, Julia for sharing with us such a cosy and inspiring house! The pallete of colours is amazing:beiges,terracota,chocolate brown,grey and green…a journey of senses…

Sally August 26, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I LOVE words, and while the OHIO wouldn’t work with the style of our home, it looks great in this home! Love the “ZZZ’s” over the bed too!!!

Kim August 26, 2012 at 7:33 pm

What a nice and cozy house. Whoever designed it did a great job.

Terry August 26, 2012 at 9:42 pm

You know, everyone reacts to a house on an emotional level. If you have good memories, you walk into a room and say “this smells like my grandmother’s house”, or “this reminds me of…”. It doesn’t matter if it is what you want to live with, the sensory memory will have an impact. There have been houses I couldn’t possibly afford or live in, but they remain forever in my mind and I always wonder if I made a mistake. A house is much more than the brick/wood and mortar. I think this is what we are talking about with this house. Renovations add or subtract from our memories and renovations speak to us personally. I think that is what is so difficult for all of us contemplating making changing to our well loved houses. Are we making changes according to a market we can’t predict, or are we making changes because it makes the house more comfortable for my family? This house seems to balance everything. To bad the market went against the owners. It is a beautiful house and the “curb appeal” is unequaled. I would buy it in a minute if I lived in Ohio. Even on the internet, it speaks to my soul. (I know that the kitchen smells wonderful)!

mere August 26, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Don’t like so much square footage but only 3 bedrooms. But I like the aesthetic and how they have the Barefoot Contessa on the television in the kitchen.

Terry August 27, 2012 at 12:15 am

Do you cook?

mere August 28, 2012 at 10:19 pm

yes, what does that have to do with anything terry?

Christina August 27, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I’ll add after reading all of the comments it seems you’ll be interested to know that the house is for sale after a break up. It wasn’t renovated to sell, it was done to the couples taste. Life happens and sadly, so do market fallouts. I’d buy it if I could afford it but alas, it’s the burbs for me.
And y’all are not on board with the globes! HA- I love it, it’s what you get when two designers go mad.

Marla in Columbus August 27, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Julia,

For all the German Village aficianados among your readers, they should mark the last weekend in June (I know, already passed this year, but there’s always next) as it is the annual German Village Haus and Garten tour.

Wendy August 27, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Loved the cobblestone street and brick exterior. Fun whimsy like the letters and globes…but everyday? Really HATE the brick in the otherwise beautiful kitchen. Completely ruins it. I like the idea of the round wall in the bath, but noted that there is not one single place top put your stuff: like toothpaste and lotion and vitamins. That living room has Too Much Furniture!

Erin August 28, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Pretty sure that bathroom is a powder room, so no need for much storage for stuff. The listing shows the other bathrooms and they’re ‘normal’ with vanities and storage and such.

Julie @ The Family CEO August 28, 2012 at 11:58 am

I remember this house from the Midwest Living feature. I loved it then and love it now. Very eclectic. Sorry to hear about the breakup.