A Jaw-Dropping Mountain Retreat in North Carolina

Wow. Sagee Manor is a gorgeous mountain retreat in Highlands, North Carolina, where no detail has been overlooked and no expense spared. It sits on “48 pristine acres of woodland, comprising its own mountain, with extraordinary 360-degree vistas.” You don’t see properties like this every day, that’s for sure.

It’s on the market for $17.9 million, so take a look!

They’re selling the property with 22 acres but say more are “negotiable.” The slate roof has “graduated thicknesses with five colors from four states.”

The house was designed by renowned architect Keith Summerour. Interiors were done by Nashville-based designer Mark Simmons.

Dining Room:

The Butler’s Pantry:

The Kitchen:

Even though the kitchen is grand, it looks warm and welcoming to me. I especially love the fireplace:

There are 7 bedrooms, 8 baths, and a sleeping porch in the main house.

The house has 10 wood-burning fireplaces, including this one in the sitting room off the master suite:

There’s an oval croquet court, surrounded by boxwood hedge, and 13 formal gardens designed by the famed English designer Rosemary Verey. (Did I already say “Wow”?)

I would happily settle for the charming guest house on the property:

The wood-paneled entry looks like something out of a classic old movie.

What a sweet guest room:

Want it? For more photos and information, visit the Sagee Manor website. There’s a referral fee for anyone who sends them a buyer, so if you know anyone with about $18 million lying around…

It's always fun to see the houses my readers live in. Here are 7 that are for sale right now. Click the links below each…
You know, most of the time I'm content to live my simple, non-millionaire life here in Ohio. But whenever I do daydream about winning the…

I would like the kitchen, please. Or the butler’s pantry. =) Or any other room in this beautiful home! Wow!

I was looking at that house’s site just last night! Was struck by just how comfortable it seems…though clearly they spared no expense in creating it, it seems like the kind of place where the whole family could get together and put their feet up.

3. Michele says

Georgeous. I thought the butler’s pantry was a galley kitchen…until I saw the kitchen! And someone got a little heavy handed with the “blue skies” button on Photoshop – lol.

• says

Or… maybe that the color the sky looks like when you can afford a $17.9 million house 😉

• Lisa Smith says

Actually, you may have heard the phrase “Carolina Blue”. It REALLY is that gorgeous blue. We have a place in the next town over. Know this family and they are kind and gracious people, often opening this amazing place for charitable events to help others. They truly believe in giving back.

• says

Hi Lisa, I didn’t know about “Carolina Blue” so I google it and I found out it’s a color itself, also known as “Tar Heel blue” . Well here in Argentina the sky is very blue, even Lady Di on a trip to the Patagonia said she had never seen a sky so blue in her whole life. Side note, the higher you are, the darkest the sky will look like; If you could climb the Everest, at the summit you will see that the sky is actually black at noon.

• empresslori says

Lisa, do you live in Cashiers? I lived there from ’95 to ’06! Highlands/Cashiers is the most beautiful (and wealthy) area I’ve ever lived in.

And yes it REALLY is that gorgeous blue!

4. Laura says

WOW! Practically speechless (practically lol). That is GORGEOUS!!!! Gigantic and cozy and very well appointed without looking snobbish or overwrought. Absolutely fabulous.

5. grapevine93 says

It is a beauty! Not all sterile and overly ornate or “stiff’perfection in decor. Looks like real people could live there happily. Cost of maintaining it boggle$ my mind however!

A lot of attention clearly went into making that new house look old! They have built a great deal of character right into it. The fireplace in the kitchen is divine!

7. laney says

…i thought you might like it!…and it is in the north carolina mountains…some of the prettiest views in the world…blessings laney

8. 65andcounting says

I have so many friends who have retired to North Carolina. It’s a gorgeous state, very friendly and welcoming locals, with small towns pleasures that make family gatherings a joy. I’d be outside all day on that patio with the fireplace making s’mores, staring at the mountain views. I hope who ever does buy it keeps the 48 acres intact. It would be a shame to sell off parcels. I think I’ll go buy a Powerball ticket. Hey, you never know!

9. Rebecca C. says

Wow. The views. The woodwork. Everything. I wonder if the furniture comes with it? So beautiful. I wish I had an extra 17 mil just lying around. What a wonderful setting.

10. phyllis says

Wow! I have never wanted 18 million dollars so bad in my life. I love the mountains of North Carolina. Thanks for the post.

11. Cindy says

Holy smokes! That place is gorgeous! Add in 22+ acres and I’m sold! Now I need to run out to buy a lottery ticket so I can buy it. 😉

12. Mora says

How beautiful!! Love the pic of the front door of the guest cottage. I have a thing about doors. Thanks for sharing this gem.

13. Lynn says

One of the most beautiful homes i have ever seen. I am ready to move in now!

14. Emily says

Absolutely gorgeous!

I’d buy it in a heart beat. Just gotta find that 17 mil!

15. Christina from Dallas says

What is a sleeping porch? Is that for the dogs? Beautiful home. 18 millon is quite a chunk of change. Wonder what the electric bill is every month?

• says

There’s a photo of it on their website. It’s a porch with a bed on it. Usually they’re screened and on a second story. A place to sleep on summer nights! :)

16. snaggy says

Its very English country house looking on the in side !

17. The Other Sue says

Everything about it gives the impression that it’s always been there (furnishings, woodwork, stonework outside), but it’s so new!! I’m so pleased that these types of estates are still created. I’m so used to seeing “new money” estates that scream opulence and poor taste. This one quietly and confidently offers comfort and luxuriousness, but in a subtle way. Wow!

I too wondered at the cost of upkeep — those gardens and grounds alone!! Well worth a visit to the manor’s website. Thanks for sharing!

I am not into mountain decor most of the time. But, this house I could easily move into and remain for the rest of my life. Gorgeous! Highlands, NC is such a wonderful place in it’s own right. I think anyone that can live there and have a gorgeous home like this lives a blessed life.

Can it be moved to California? I don’t do the East coast.
    Does the builder have anything in Northern California comparible to this?

I love the kitchen and all of the other rooms, except the main living areas. They were too dark and masculine in style for me.
    Gorgeous property!

Oh I love Highlands! And the house is gorgeous. This would make a great little bed and breakfast inn there…and there is quite a need for it – except for the fact that the Old Edwards Inn is buying up everything in site. Oh wait…you watch…if I were a betting person, I would say the Old Edwards Inn corp. WILL buy this and do just that! It looks just like their style.
    Thanks for showing us another wonderful house to drop our jaws over!

22. betty in munich says

For those interested, I read several interesting articles about not only the house but the novel approach being taken to sell it:
    1) It is in essence a For Sale by Owner. How do you like that! The owner is Atlanta based Bob Fisher, he is the head of Wesley International, an Atlanta manufacturer of vehicles for industrial use.
    2) He will consider separate offers for the furnishings as well as the 26 acres adjecent to the property.
    3) He is offering 250,000 USD for anyone that refers him a buyer that buys the property meeting all his terms.
    4) He believes there are only 25 to 50 (potential buyers) for the property in the country, maybe 75 to 100 globally!
    5) He and his wife built the property in the 90’s and “retired” there. But then he took over this new company and now doesn’t have time to split between all his 3 homes (Atlanta, Sea Island and this one) so they chose to sell this one.
    Here is a link to the articles:

Holy cow! Now THAT is a dream house. Love that fireplace off of the counter in the kitchen … So different! You know, they could have gone over the top with the decorations. Instead the elegant decor is warm and inviting.

Picturing myself with a glass of wine sitting on the veranda! Ahhhhhhh!

24. Kim says

What a gorgeous house! I love all of the interior details.

• Kim says

I am in love with the acreage. It’s so beautiful and breathtaking. My dream is to live on property like this.

25. Carolyn says

Wow. I’ll take the guest cottage! I’m sure it’s even bigger than our cabin in the NC mountains. Love the English feel, while it still has a ‘mountain’ look. And those gardens! And the view! Oh my. And it’s in my favorite part of the world.

26. Dina says

Gee, I don’t see anything I can be snarky about. That’s a first. I really like it, but would feel more at home in the guest house.

How about this…I’ll buy it, Julia, and you can come stay in the guest house when ever you want. And you can have the referral fee, since I found this place on your blog. Now to dig up $18 million. 😉

28. Jen M says

This has got to be one of my favorite houses ever. Thanks for the post.

Wow….all I can say is Wow!! This is one of the most beautiful homes I have ever seen. Very english. Loved all of the woodwork throughout the home. Looks like there was a lot of attention to every detail…which makes this home stand out. Thanks for sharing!

30. Sandra Cardona says

Wow, very stately. they could have the President over for a visit. it’s better than any presidential suite i’ve seen. that master bed is awesome. similar to the bed in the movie The Money Pit. thanks for posting

31. Maggy says

Julia, I love how you mix things up and always keep it so interesting!

I’m not a fan of this house .. it’s beautiful, but it looks like an elegant Inn, more than a home. Guess I’m more attracted to cozy and practical than “over the top”. The house, the grounds and the rooms are all picture-perfect, but really .. who lives like that, other than a few mega-movie stars? And, assuming that one could buy the home & property, the next question would be — what’s the monthly cost of maintaining it?

Pretty to look at, but I much prefer an humble abode any day!

32. HollyM says

I’ll take it! Furnished as is!

It may be top-of-the-line, but it isn’t pretentious, stuffy, or fussy. This is a home, not a mansion.

33. Sherry says

I am in love with the guest cottage! I’m a big fan of “warm & woodsy.” But the staircase & livingroom of the main house are fabulous!

34. Sharon says

I had the pleasure of painting in the Rosemary Verey designed gardens of this beautiful home in October. And let me tell you it is absolutely stunning! Perched atop a mountain, there are 360-degree views as you stroll among rose gardens, cutting gardens, hydrangea gardens, vegetable gardens, etc. etc. It requires a full time staff and two property managers to maintain it.