For Sale: Ed Catmull’s Georgian Colonial in California

by hookedonhouses on June 3, 2012

Ed Catmull, president of the Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios, is selling his “true Georgian Colonial estate” in the Del Mesa area of Kentfield, California. Gotta say the exterior didn’t excite me much, but I was pleasantly surprised by the interiors. It’s on the market for $10.9 million–check it out!

The 8,864 square-foot house was originally built in 1935, but was “extensively rebuilt in 2000″ by architect Steve Wisenbaker.

Dr. Ed Catmull pioneered many important developments in computer graphics that we see in movies today. He founded Pixar with Steve Jobs and John Lasseter, a company that changed the look of animated films with movies like Toy Story and Finding Nemo.

The kitchen has zinc slab countertops and state-of-the-art appliances, which include a Charvet Caumartin Range (gorgeous!):

The house has 6 bedrooms and 8 full baths.

“This true Georgian Colonial residence is a majestic, park-like estate with views of Mt. Tamalpais and the Southern Marin Ridgeline,” the listing states.

Like it? For more photos and information check the listing with Beth Brody of Alain Pinel Realtors and the article on AOL Real Estate. (Thanks to Jennifer for the tip!)

More Beautiful Houses For Sale:

Christina from Dallas June 3, 2012 at 8:03 am

Julia, you are so right. This house is beautiful. This is what my decor would look like if money was no object. I like it so much better than Celine Dion’s house that you featured last week. Her’s was large but had garish furnishing. This one is lovely!

Monique June 3, 2012 at 8:10 am

I love it! Classic.,.. tasteful..Very pretty ..It’s large,but not ostentatious.

Ann June 3, 2012 at 8:20 am

Looks real grand.
And I love the interiors especially the bedrooms and spacious bathrooms.

Nancy June 3, 2012 at 8:39 am

The outside reminds me of Disneyland.

Carisa June 3, 2012 at 8:51 am

It’s lovely but what is with all the WHITE in all these grand homes? Why so afraid of some bold color on the walls and in the furnishings? It also looks extremely impersonal. Very little art on the walls but I’m betting that’s because it’s for sale.

cbean June 3, 2012 at 4:00 pm

white, White, WHITE!

My first thought on seeing the exterior? How do they get the groceries into the kitchen? That curved, brick walkway is a mile long.
You can sure tell it was not a woman who designed this place.
Not to be entirely negative: the woodwork in the interior is lovely.

Jane June 4, 2012 at 1:00 pm

The white bugs me too.

Lisa Smith June 3, 2012 at 8:53 am

Lovely! Beautiful bathrooms and kitchen! (love that pop of blue with that incredible stove) Always a delight to see your posts Julia! I hope you and your sweet family have a wonderful Summer.

Patience June 3, 2012 at 9:01 am

I love that stove, but I have an issue with this house being marketed as a “true Georgian colonial.” It was built in 1935, so sorry, but no.

hookedonhouses June 3, 2012 at 9:27 am

Real estate agents always get a little creative with their descriptions, and this is no exception! :-)

Cathy June 3, 2012 at 9:17 am

This is one of the nicest ridiculously huge houses you’ve ever featured. In spite of the size, it has beautifully simple interiors. Gobs of money can’t buy good taste but the owners of this house appear to have hired people with plenty. That, or they’ve moved out already (notice lack of personal touches) and have paid for a well done staging.

Sarah June 3, 2012 at 9:57 am

Its beautifully done for such a large house. Each room seems livable and beautiful to be in.

Kristen @ More Than Mulberries June 3, 2012 at 10:07 am

I could move in today – love everything about it! Gorgeous!

Sarah @ housecrazy June 3, 2012 at 10:33 am

I just can’t take my eyes off that ATTIC ROOM with the wall-papered sloped ceilings! How tasteful and gorgeous! What a great room!!

shabbychick June 3, 2012 at 10:40 am

Not terribly exciting, feels cold and un-lived in. I do love the blue range, the master bathroom, the sitting room with the sloped ceilings and wainscotting, and the pergola. But holy backache with all that landscaping!!

Laura June 3, 2012 at 11:33 am

Definitely looks staged. I guess I’m in the minority that would prefer shopping for houses with “real” decor. Anyway, in spite of that I think it’s really nice for a giant house. Very pretty and tasteful finishes and I like their furniture a lot. Can’t say I’ve ever heard of Georgian Colonial, though!

Rebecca C. June 3, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I love all the details that they actually paid attention to when building/rebuilding this house. Although I normally like brighter colors, the ones they chose go really well with the decor. Not sure I’d change a thing about this house. Absolutely beautiful. Much more homey looking than some of the McMansions out there.

Bridget June 3, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I don’t know where the “Del Mesa” area of Kentfield is. At first I thought there might be another Kentfield, CA. Nope. This is Kentfield, CA in Marin County. The last picture was the proof. The view of Mount Tamalpais (that has biking & hiking trails, eleven waterfalls and an outdoor theatre) is the HUGE selling point. Kentfield is also very close to Ross where the houses get sold for millions. Marin county is very expensive because there’s some kind of ordinance or law that there’s only so many homes vs open space. So houses come at a premium and the closer you get to San Francisco the dollar tag continues to rise. Sausalito (in Marin County) is on the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge.

As for the house itself.. I really liked the attic room the best. But over all I’d take the views but not the house.

Kim June 3, 2012 at 4:37 pm

What a beautiful house. I love that blue stove and the room with the white vaulted ceiling. Both are very nice.

david June 3, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I love the bookcases lining the walls with books. A library is the ultimate luxury for me. I wonder with all those hand held book thingy’s everyone is carrying around, is a a library the next anachronism in interior design?

debbie bailey June 3, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I love all the ceilings in the bedrooms and baths, but the selling point for me (if I could afford this house) is the blue range. I love that color! It would make me happy to cook.

Esther George June 3, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Well this got my attention. It’s 10.49AM here and I just could not get myself to move or wake up this was just what I needed thanks Julia this home is absolutely beautiful I am going to have another cup of coffee and look and drool a bit more…. Regards Esther from Sydney…PS I would like all of the above….

Jen M June 3, 2012 at 8:20 pm

There’s much to like about the interior, but the exterior is disappointing. The shutters are ridiculously undersized, and in general, there is nothing special about it. It looks very generic.

Robbyn June 3, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I love the decor, but what’s with all the empty top shelves? Do little people live here? ;)
I would give my right arm for that stove and a bathroom or two.

mishelle June 4, 2012 at 1:35 am

lovely home!

Maria June 4, 2012 at 1:51 am

It’s lovely, but it’s clearly staged (empty kitchen cabinets) so that might be why it feels a bit sterile to me. Also, I don’t know what it is with me and those pot filler faucets, for some reason it makes me think all they cook is pasta. I don’t quite understand them, if you have to take a filled pot to the sink to empty, is there some reason you are unable to fill it at the sink?

BTW, yes Kentfield is in Marin and it’s lovely. They get a lot of rain. Whenever the rest of us get a couple of inches they make the news with 10 or something. When it rains, it pours in Kentfield!

snaggy June 4, 2012 at 6:37 am

Nice …when I win the lottery….. !

Kelly at Talk of the House June 4, 2012 at 6:54 am

I like it. I especially love that blue stove and all of their lighting choices- and the VIEWS. Yes, it is staged, but when you are selling a home for that amount of money, I think you would have to stage it. Wonder where they are moving to?

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com June 4, 2012 at 7:54 am

I love the leather chairs and that kitchen.
*le sighing* over that stove.

Talia June 4, 2012 at 8:16 am

Lovely and classic.

Missi at havoc-to-heaven.com June 4, 2012 at 8:32 am

I love this house. It is so homey and non-Hollywood (except for the price). Can anyone loan me $10,000,000 ?

Rick S June 4, 2012 at 8:42 am

Julia,
I like this one alot, It is a large house that looks like a home. It does look lik they have moved out but left it staged. The bookcases and some shelves are empty or lightly filled. It still looks lived in. It has a “family home” vibe.

I feel like I could have family come for a visit and we would all feel at home.

rick

ps Does Maizie have her “Summer Hair Cut” yet, short and sassy :)

hookedonhouses June 4, 2012 at 8:47 am

She has a grooming appointment set for Thursday! She’ll be much happier when her hair is shorter in the summer heat. :-)

Stephanie Durdan June 4, 2012 at 11:55 am

I wouldn’t change a thing about that house.

theSavvySeeker June 4, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Beautiful home but surprised that there wasn’t any artwork on the walls…especially since he’s an artist/designer.

Jane June 4, 2012 at 1:03 pm

The attic room with te wallpapered ceiling caught my eye. We have a similar room, never thought of wallpaper. The rest of the house is gorgeous although I’d add more color.

Can someone tell me more about zinc counters? Anyone here have zinc?

Lori @ Interior Domain Designs June 4, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Love, love the blue range!

Brenda June 4, 2012 at 5:32 pm

love this house! Especially the fact that while it might have been added onto, it retains its simple lines. No Georgian Colonial though. Maybe Californian Georgian? Would give my eye teeth for that range! Great post, Julia.

Country Girl June 5, 2012 at 7:30 am

This house was a surprise to me, too — as whitebread boring inside as out. I have rarely seen such a nice site inhabited by a house almost entirely devoid of personality. I wonder how it looked before it was “improved” to death, and formula-decorated?

Completely agree with previous poster who called Celine Dion’s featured house “garish”—in fact I found it utterly ghastly— but at least it expressed something of her own personality. This one looks like it was designed and decorated solely by a computer. Maybe, knowing the owner’s background, it was.

betterOutdoorLivingatHome June 7, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I’m confused as to their description of this house as a ‘true Georgian Colonial’. Traditional Georgian architecture has a symmetrical floor plan. Perhaps it’s original architectural style was lost in the renovation.

The overall outdoor design is not very inspired, and that is a LONG way to get to the front door. As for the front door, it is out of scale (too small) for that house.
The outdoor area shown in the last photo seems to be a nice little gathering area though with a very scenic view of the mountains!

{ 1 trackback }