Real Estate Roundup: 5 of My Readers’ Houses For Sale

by hookedonhouses on April 29, 2012

Here are 5 of my readers’ houses on the market right now. Take a look and spread the word!

#1. An 8-Sided Cottage on the Beach in Ontario

#2. A Pied-à-Terre in Paris

#3. A Contemporary House in Missouri

#4. An Updated Cape in Connecticut

#5. A Renovated 3-Bedroom House in Delaware

Many thanks to the readers who submitted their listings on my Facebook page. Here’s hoping that they’ll all sell soon! -Julia

Parnassus April 29, 2012 at 8:26 am

A 1910 Octagonal is unusual. Usually they’re about 60 years older, when there was a fad resulting from Orson Fowler’s book, The Octagon House, A Home for All.
–Road to Parnassus

hookedonhouses April 29, 2012 at 8:30 am

Interesting! Thanks!

Pat April 29, 2012 at 9:02 am

A great selection of homes. My traditional self likes the Cape in CT. the most, but all are very interesting and I’m surprised how big they are, the outside pictures don’t always give a true feeling of the size.
OK, now please educate me. What does “Pied-A`- Terre” mean?

hookedonhouses April 29, 2012 at 9:08 am

It just means it’s an apartment (or condo)–often a second home or getaway in the city. In this case, Paris! That would be nice, wouldn’t it?

Karena April 29, 2012 at 9:20 am

Oh Julia I must choose the Paris “Pied a Terre” My dream, even though the other homes are wonderful!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Sarah @ housecrazy April 29, 2012 at 9:28 am

each one is amazing in their own special way! Octagonal house? Awesome! Great cross-section Julia! It is facsinating to see where people live!

Marilyn Podoll April 29, 2012 at 9:30 am

I don’t know about you….but I want to go to Paris!!!!! Really all are great houses. prices are low!!!

Patience April 29, 2012 at 9:33 am

I like how your readers’ houses run the gamut of styles and prices. If I had 1.1 million euros to spare, I would definitely spend them on a pied a terre in Paris!

Traci April 29, 2012 at 11:52 am

What a cool house that 8 sided cottage is. And of course the Pied-à-Terre in Paris. Yes please.

Kim April 29, 2012 at 4:41 pm

All of these are so great that I don’t have a favorite. Thanks for sharing these with us Julia!

Bridget April 30, 2012 at 12:53 am

I am wondering why people show their diningrooms with a table without chairs? I’ve seen this a few times and personally I find it odd but to each their own. I’m guessing there is a good reason for it? Does anybody know?

Laura April 30, 2012 at 7:51 am

Hi Bridget – in this case it was because the original chairs had a very bright (and dating) 1980s chintz on them. Plus, it is a fairly tight dining room and although it might be cheating, removing the chairs also makes the room feel bigger. We are presently under contract after receiving multiple offers for more than asking price. If I have learned one thing in selling this house – it is that staging makes ALL the difference. It changes the emotional reaction to a house. In the end it is this connection that sells a home.

Jane April 30, 2012 at 9:30 am

Laura- staging does make a huge difference. There are pros and cons to having dining room furniture. We sold a house without it because it was a relative’s house and the dining room set was both taste specific and dated. The home was mid century modern and with less furniture the home’s lines stood out. Also, the dining rom was small.

Also, furniture sets the mood for a home. Put traditional dining room tables and chairs in a home that could be decorated either contemporary or traditional and you may keep potential buyers from seeing the potential.

Bridget April 30, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Thanks Laura, I appreciate you taking the time to answer. I’ve seen it quite a bit. Now I understand and it makes sense… and not as odd I originally thought. Thank you again!

hookedonhouses April 30, 2012 at 7:51 am

Can’t say I ever noticed that. All I can figure is that they have started moving furniture out already? Not sure!

Jane April 30, 2012 at 9:23 am

I’d choose the pied-a-terre. Take the asking price and then consider that it comes furnished with exquisitely chosen and very striking furniture as well as all the other major items which stay and I think it is actually a bargain, although still out of my price range.

But my lazy side appreciates the time, energy and attention to detail someone ELSE took with the pied-a-terre. It would be like buying a place to live and getting free decorating and all the trimmings. A dream.

Cheryl April 30, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Having spent some wonderful weekends at the octagonal cottage I am more than a little impartial. The photos in the listing only hint at the character contained within those wood walls. I don’t think I need to mention how awesome a two storey wrap around porch is, it speaks for itself. My favourite rooms are the dining room, with it’s table big enough to seat a crowd (great for meals and games) and a wall of newspaper clippings about the Royal Family going back decades, and the Tower Room at the top with it’s windows on all sides. You really feel like you are sleeping in a tree house in the tower room. With the windows open you can hear the leaves rustling in the trees and the waves rolling in. . A memory that I have cemented into my brain – along side some amazing sunsets and lots of laughs.
Girls – you know who you are – when you read this know how much I appreciated each invitation and how much I treasure those memories dearly. Miss you both!!

Kelly D April 30, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Love the home in Connecticut! Anything with a red door gets my vote. :)

Marilyn January 2, 2013 at 12:21 am

I love your website! I too have a fascination with houses and have added your site to my small list of favorite websites. I have an adorable house that my husband and I fixed up while in medical school. We have it listed on the market but need some help selling it. What can I do to get it posted on your site? Check it our here a thttp://www.howardhanna.com/property/property.asp?PRM_MLSNumber=3215256&PRM_MlsName=NorthernOH&VAR_AgentCode=4359&VAR_OfficeCode=21. Let me know if you can help me by posting it. Thank you!

{ 1 trackback }