A Victorian Cottage For Sale in Pasadena

This charming Victorian Queen Anne Cottage in Pasadena, California, was built in the late 1800s and is on the National Register of Historic Places. The minute I saw those wrought iron gates, the wraparound porch and the red door, I knew I had to see more.

It’s on the market for $1.135 million, so let’s take a look!

Seems like an odd place for a dining room, right inside the front door, but in a cottage you have to make the most of the space you’ve got.

This arched doorway with the pocket doors made me (almost literally) swoon:

There are 3 bedrooms and 3.5 baths:

The listing says that the house was “meticulously restored to incorporate its architectural features, such as the original redwood framing and siding, combined with today’s modern amenities. Situated in the Linda Vista area of Pasadena, this house is a landmark property in the neighborhood.”

Want it? Check the listing with Deasy/Penner & Partners for more information and photos (taken by Erik Grammer).

Julia-simple teal signature

Comments

1. Tara says

Beautiful house!!! I especially love the outside of it and how cozy the porch seems. Although, I don’t think I will ever truly be able to get my head around the costs of homes on either of the coasts, sooooo expensive!!!

2. Melissa says

Oh yes! Swooning here for sure! I love that the shapes are appropriately Victorian but the surfaces, colors and fabrics are more contemporary. So neat, works so perfectly! Thank you for sharing this with us!

Gorgeous! There isn’t anything I don’t like about it but I agree that the butcher block would be richer looking with a deeper color.

4. Janet Shepherd says

I love the exterior, but I have to admit the interior isn’t what I was expecting, and not really to my tastes at all. If I won the lottery and bought this place, I think I’d totally redecorate it inside… and change the dining room back into a front parlour/sitting room, which was probably it’s original use.

• Ann says

I agree. To me the inside is an unsuccessful mix of styles. I wish they’d stuck with the kitchen’s which to me seems most authentic. I assume they’ve switched the locations of the dining and living rooms to better accommodate their needs, i.e., less space for dining.

Pasadena is a beautiful place all around and this is a wonderful home. The first time I ever ate at Mimi’s was in a place that looked a lot like this house. We went to Pasadena one summer and stayed there for two or three weeks and I loved it.

• Ann says

Which of course explains the price! Location, location, location!

That is a gorgeous house! The furnishings are different from my style, but the ‘bones’ of the home are incredible!

Just a sweet looking “gem”. I love how it was restored. I agree with you that the butcher block should be painted a more bold color than it currently is.

I agree with Janet that the front room was most likely the parlor. I’ve ALWAYS wanted an entryway with a round table in the middle of it…but not for dining. It’s a super sweet house, but crying out, “Where is my claw-foot tub???” I was blessed to live with missionary friends in a little bungalow in Pasadena while I studied for 1 term in L.A. I loved it!

I hope you’re having a wonderful holiday weekend!

: )

Julie M.

what an adorable little house – not such an adorable price tag but we can always dream!
    mary x

10. shabbychick says

This house is so amazing! I love the yellow wallpaper, the marble vanity top in the bathroom, the toile sofa, the metallic slate blue paint on the walls….and of course, THE KITCHEN! You know me and kitchens, and I’ve been in love with black and white checkerboard floors forever.

11. Maddie says

I really love the bathroom vanity and mirror. Its different and charming. I would love the see the kitchen. Love the color of the cabinets. I will have to keep an eye out for an open house here.

12. Myra M says

My family is from Pasadena…..it is a great place to drive around looking at homes. It has so many charming houses to get hooked on!

13. Kim says

Wow, this house is amazing and I am a huge fan of Victorian homes. The main level is my favorite, but I must agree, that dining room is awkward right there in the entry.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

14. Janelle says

Love it! The entire house made me swoon! You had me at “wrap around porch” and “built in the 1800’s”! Great post…as always:)

So fun and I love the kitchen! I agree that the island should be brighter, but I really like the checkered floor. Thank you for sharing. Beautiful as always!

Nikki

It’s lovely! I’m not crazy about the colors in the master bedroom, and I would have chosen a different shade of green for the kitchen cabinets, but these are small complaints. I could definitely live there.

Those pocket doors are stunning!! It does seem odd to have the dining room right in the front of the house, but it has so many other nice features, I can overlook it. 😉

18. Janice Mahon says

This brings back memories of my Dad’s grandfather’s mansion on the East River in New York City which he built for his seven children in the late 1890s. I visited there as a small child, well in the late 1940s. All I can remember today are the fireplaces, the wrought iron fence around the property, and the goose neck faucet in the kitchen. When the mansion was put up for sale in 1950, all of the Victorian antiques were sold or put out in the trash, i.e., all of the Tiffany lamps, which no one wanted to buy, which in those days had little or no value.

So much character in the old houses. I used to live near Pasadena in the 80s and can’t believe the prices of houses there now.
    Ann

Dream Queen Ann House Once belong to My Mother in law Mom Use to Own the Property In 2005 then sold reason being sons want the money to spend then sold the House and blew the money and rawted the Mother… I think.. It belong to the husband witch was pass through A German Family then to her then force to sell by family members.. she is paralized and couldnt keep up with the landscape and was harrass to fix the house… BY the City and part/family.. I love My Ex Baby Moma why because she live in that house with her gramma forever.. and i just have that unexplainable feeling between me the house my pretty ex girlfriend and the history to it even though i really never got to enjoy the house. I am one day though… My favorite house.. Everything Inside was original with old furinture and evertyhing squeeky and she kept the original beutiful chandaliers and harware and furniture of course.. everything just went bad for me I guess.. there was potential their at once cuz my 16 year old girlfriend took care of her so much of gramma for years and didnt stick to the plan…..now 21 in 2012 it was going to be pass to her by gramma.. she hates it for selling it… poor lady she gets treated like shit and without money husband recently died at 90.. makes mad I just want to own that house one day..