A Hamptons-Style Home on Bainbridge Island

This house for sale in Washington has a couple of things going for it right off the bat–a classic Hamptons style and amazing views of Puget Sound and Mt. Rainier. The listing describes it as “a bit of the Hamptons with a Seattle twist!” Come on in and take a look.

The listing price is $8.5 million. It’s kind of funny how I can be looking at luxury properties all day and then find myself thinking, “Ooh, $8.5, not bad!”

The house has about 7,500 square feet and sits on an acre of prime waterfront property. The decorating isn’t my personal style, but who’s looking at the sofas in this room anyway? It’s all about the view.

There’s Mt. Rainier I mentioned earlier. How gorgeous is that?

I love the stone fireplace in the kitchen. Looks like such a cozy place to curl up.

I think the stained wood island is beautiful, too. I wonder how practical wood countertops are, though? Have you ever had them?

A blue sitting room with built-in bookshelves:

There are 6 bedrooms and 5.5 baths.

The sunroom:

There are some great outdoor spaces, too, like this covered back porch with a stone fireplace:

Oh, and did I mention there’s a guest house in the backyard? Maybe I can afford it, at least! (Or maybe not…)

Want it? For more photos and information, check the listing by Dennis Paige of Sotheby’s International Realty.

On Sundays I feature interesting houses for sale. Did you see these?

stone house in Cornwall for sale
Today I was intrigued by a listing for "a picturesque stone cottage with uninterrupted views of the beach." It's located in the pretty coastal hamlet…
This week I heard from several of my readers whose houses are on the market. I love seeing where you guys live and hearing your…

Comments

• Lilla says

Come to Hungary, the 250.000 dollar you already have is a huge money here. There are beautiful houses here:)

• says

Ha! My thoughts, exactly. This place is gorgeous – love the openness between the rooms. Those doors are gorgeous.

So gorgeous – it almost looks like the views were photoshopped in! I could live her and be very very happy! (with a few new pieces of furniture of course, the decorating seems a little stuck in the 80’s!)

Be still my heart. This place is gorgeous, and the views….ahhh! Just think, after the paltry 8.5 million you would surely have at least 1.5 million left to re-decorate a la “Something’s Gotta Give”! Go for it Julia!

• Kari says

Ditto, Erin! The first thing I thought of was “Something’s Gotta Give”! Definitely set aside some $$$ to re-decorate. I think I’m going to go play the lottery. :-)

3. Linda in AZ * says

*** I’m SPEECHLESS, Julia, and THAT is SOOOOO R*A*R*E indeed… HOWEVER, looking at just the FIRST PIC reminded me of setting my eyes on my “now-for-43-years” husband…… You got it!~~~ It was LUST at FIRST SIGHT back THEN, and is alive n’ kickin 43 years later (WE MARRIED WHEN I WAS 3, for those who are COUNTING! Smiles!)…

I’m sure there are many (heck, EVERY PERSON who SEES THIS HERE!) who feel the same way, and I actually was HOLDING MY BREATH as I kept looking at the next pic… Heavens, soooooooo beautiful!!!!!! So much BREATHING SPACE, too!!!

Sooooo, THIS is what “heaven on earth” looks like?!?!?!?!?! We’re ALWAYS big on THE VIEWS, but to be INside and experience them from there, in such a COZY, WARM, FAMILY-LIKE but FAAAABULOUS atmosphere, is just, well, it took my breath away!!!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, Julia!!!

Warmest regards,
    Linda in AZ *
    bellesmom1234@comcast.net

4. Linda in AZ * says

*** P.S. Sure wish NOW that I hadn’t spent our spare change on JERRY SEINFIELD’S COLORADO place!!! (Insert BIG GRINS here!!!)… Dang it all!!! XO, Linda ***

Julia I will take a home with a view like this and good bones anytime!!

xoxo
    Karena

Art by Karena

Come and join my Giveaway of a very special painting!

This place has awesome potential.
    It’s too bad they photoshopped (poorly… flipping trees, sticking a ferry ontop of the water) the view. I wonder what outside REALLY looks like.
    As for the guest house, YES! Yes, please!!

7. Maria says

Swoon!!!!

I adore it. Even if Mt Rainier somehow magically appears much larger from one end of the living room than from the patio.

8. Kim says

Everything about this house is amazing. I love the warmth the different colors and details bring to the interior of the house. Like the stained wood beams that they put on top of the white ceiling, the staircase, the blue walls, the views, and more. Goes to show that you don’t have to make a water front house all white to enjoy the views.

It’s fun to see you posting all of these listing of “my backyard.” : ) And yes, I have wood countertops. Love them. In fact, I actually have the entire custom island with its big ol’ butcher block countertop from the Seattle area house where I grew up. My dad & grandpa designed it; the new owners…gutted it! (I have the kitchen floors, etc…too!)

Ahhh…people.

: p

Beautiful house, it would definitely be fun to decorate it, but honestly…I wouldn’t want to be at water level here in WA.

: )

Julie M.

10. whislerpotpie says

We also have wood counter tops – made by the previous owner from antique train car floors. We love them – warm, easy to care for. Would highly recommend!

• hookedonhouses says

Oh, really? What an interesting way to repurpose old train car floors!

Big smiles! I love this house. I’m with you, the decor is not my style…but who can complain with the views and the overall design of the home? Just beautiful!

Oh, my Lord! I love this gorgeous home and it’s surroundings! Look at those rooms! Thank you so much for sharing this!
    Have a beautiful Sunday and be a sweetie,
    Shelia 😉

Sold! Do you think they would take Visa? And my bottle top collection…and maybe I can find some more money in the cushions in my chair..surely there is money around here somewhere…I love those views!!!!

Bainbridge Island is a really unique place! The only downside is that you have to take th ferry to get to Seattle or make the 2 hour drive (the Puget Sound waters separate the two locations).

Thishome is beautiful, I’d buy it in a heartbeat. The mountains actually look picturesque like that on clear days so I think the view is probably the real deal.

Wow, such a beautiful house next to the ocean, awesome! I’m surprised it’s ‘just’ 8.5 million too, Julia! 😀

• Brenda says

If the view is not photoshopped and the guest house not across the street, this would be one amazing home. Not much to do , remove all the furnishings and voila! I suppose if one had 8.2 mil to buy this, one would have enough to furnish it. Gorgeous bones!

I like how some spaces are adapted to the rainy climate–the very deep porch, the way you can throw open all the doors around the breakfast room, or keep them closed on rainy days. I kind of laughed at the ship passing by. Is it photoshopped, did they hire it to hang out there while they photographed the house, or were they just lucky?

17. Sandy says

Love the house and the views but was wondering if having a sunroom in Washington is a bit of an oxymoron?

18. Jamie says

@ Patience
    There is a ferry that runs from Seattle to Bainbridge. It may be real even though it certainly does look Photoshopped! Not sure though.

Now, I am homesick. My view home used to be just across the water in a little tiny town called Manchester (also in Kitsap County) Bainbridge Island is such a beautiful hidden jewel. When I owned our store in Poulsbo, Caron’s…the finest in Coastal Living, we were so fortunate to have beach house customers all over the island, down forested quiet lanes with wide open views. Beautiful homes and gorgeous views abound – one side a clear view of the Olympic Mountain range, the other side clear views of the Cascades and Mount Rainier, completely surrounded by Puget Sound, tiny inlets and bays

Caron

Dang. I am ready to get back on the plane.

20. Jan says

It’s not photoshopped. I lived on Bainbridge Island. The ferry you see in the picture travels by the house every hour sailing between Bremerton and Seattle.
    Jan

21. Janelle says

Okay, all the decorating in that house is pretty dated, and (in my opinion) pretty ugly. The architecture, views, and interior design — not decorating — are gorgeous, though! Unfurnished, I’d totally take it!

22. Dee says

Hello all,
    I love looking at beautiful pictures of homes & was happy to find one on the same island where we live. However, there are beautiful waterfront homes here that are much less expensive than this one.
    Our island actually does have the views you’re seeing in these photos! (By the way, you are looking at Puget Sound in the photos, which leads into the Pacific Ocean.)
    Bainbridge Island is a super easy 35 minute ferry trip from downtown Winslow to Seattle ($7.10 passenger fare from Seattle, free return from the island; you can also drive on the ferry for an additional fare).
    However, the ferry you’re seeing in the photos is the Bremerton-Seattle ferry and, yes, it actually does pass in front of your view of Mt. Rainier from this house. Not photo shopped as some wondered. On a clear day, it really looks like you could reach out & touch the mountain. This ferry does not go to Bainbridge Island. It goes directly from Seattle to Bremerton, from the same ferry terminal in Seattle as the Bainbridge Island-Seattle ferry (same fare, slightly longer trip).
    Many tourists walk on the ferry in Seattle just to take the ride over & back to/from either Bainbridge Island or Bremerton (pay one way, free return to Seattle) & see the beautiful water & views of the mountain ranges – Cascades, Olympics. & Mt. Rainier.
    The ferry terminal on Bainbridge Island is downtown so you can walk around downtown Winslow, the marina, & waterfront, & then have lunch, window shop, rent bikes or mopeds, etc.
    Our island is only about 8 miles long, about 2 miles at its widest, & is very heavily forested. Population just over 20,000. A very bike friendly, family friendly, environmentally friendly place to live. Great schools. Some homes are vacation homes. However, many people also commute daily by ferry to Seattle.
    We are joined to the mainland at the northern end of the island by a small 2 lane bridge over Agate Passage that leads to the Kitsap Penninsula and the truly delightful Scandinavian town of Poulsbo (if you know & like Solvang, California, you’ll love Poulsbo, although it is on a much smaller scale).
    By the way, I’m not with the local Chamber of Commerce or real estate agency or anything. I just absolutely love our island. Moved here from Napa, CA about 2 years ago & just wished we’d done it sooner! I often wonder about the places homes on this site are located & thought some of you might enjoy some info about our island. Hope you enjoyed this extra info! :>)

• Lisa Smith says

Thank you so much for confirming that those amazing views are real! What a magical place and to think you call to call that beautiful island HOME!!!

23. Deb! says

Good Lord…the VIEWS! o_o

My overwhelming thought: Where the heck are these homeowners moving to that would top this?

This is the best house I have ever seen in my life. No kidding. It’s so flawless, it doesn’t even look real. I want to have such a view from my house too!

I found it really hard to focus on the house! The views are what captured my attention. Thank you for posting. Tootles, Kathryn

26. Nita says

If you think $8.5 million isn’t bad, you must be making a lot more of this web site than I thought! LOL!

• hookedonhouses says

Yeah, I wish! Ha. $8.5 might be a wee bit out of my budget… :-)

27. Jean says

Beautiful house and views! I live on the West Coast (Pacific Northwest) and when the sun is out, it’s beautiful! We do get more than our fair share of rain though!

28. Karin says

That house has my name written all over it. Thanks for sharing it!
    Karin
    Lifeinsmallchunks.blogspot.com

29. Mia says

What a lovely home! The house is warm and inviting, with a good floorplan (from what we can tell) and wonderful views. I bet that water is pretty cold, though!

Thank you!

Oh, you are right we do get a bit numb on pricing. After watching “Selling New York”, one is likely to thing $8.5 million for 7,500 sqft is a steal!

What a beautiful home and in completely move in condition. Gorgeous, gorgeous gorgeous.

Is it just me or are those views just a little too perfect? The exteriors in the background seem too bright and crisp for vibrant interior shots.

32. Lisa Smith says

Thank you so much for sharing yet another amazing home with us! This one reminds me of our home that I sent you pictures of last fall. We have a beautiful view, but this one is gorgeous!!! So much fun to see! I want that breakfast room!!!!

33. Dawn says

I think this is my favorite place ever!

I WANT … !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Checking for change under the sofa.)

Oh, I know this house…not personally, but I’ve admired it and it’s architect for years. It was designed by local architect Stuart Silk, and I referred to his work many, many times when designing our home. This one was always one of my favorites although I’ve never been able to see so much of it…it’s stunning, and the property is heaven…my dream home (I’d change out the furniture too though!).
    Thanks for the heads up on this one…not that I can buy it or anything, but I can pretend for a day or two! 😉
    xo J~

Oh, and by the way…the Madison Park home used to be his own home but now I think the Madrona one is…both are in the Traditional section….love them!

36. Ellen Kelly says

I am actually salivating over the homes you show. I love to look all day, every day!

Oh boy – I would move back to Seattle for that house. I used to live there. The picture of the room with the view of Mt Rainier – most of the time you can’t see it!! It’s fogged over. I had so many people visiting me while out there – and most times they never got to see Mt Rainier. “So where’s this mountain everyone tells me about??” But when it’s out…it’s gorgeous!

Linda

38. Karen says

Just saw this. Beautiful views and garden. Love the architecture–such lovely details. Interiors can always be changed to suit the new owner’s tastes. I sometimes wonder who lives there and why anyone would chose to move from such a gorgeous setting. Perhaps it is just another adventure. Thanks for featuring this property.

39. Elizabeth says

I think the views were photo shopped in! Bainbridge Island, right? How long did they have to wait to get this type of blue sky, sunny day before doing the listing photos?

Honestly Julia! Just about the time I think you’ve featured my all-time favorite dreamy house, you find another one!

The fact that it’s in the northwest, my favorite part of the US – is the icing on this gorgeous cake.

Thanks for the Sunday morning treat :)