Bella Rosa Cottage For Sale in Redmond, Washington

by hookedonhouses on July 3, 2011

Conover Commons in Redmond, Washington, is an award-winning community filled with contemporary cottages. I fell in love with the neighborhood when it was featured in Cottage Living years ago. This house, known as Bella Rosa Cottage, is on the market for $674,000, and I was eager to take a closer look.

Gotta love a Dutch door.

I’m not crazy about the living room, but I think a warm paint color on the walls and different furniture would help.

The display niches in the kitchen are interesting. The island has a butcher-block top:

The house is only 1,700 square feet with a one-car detached garage.

The little breakfast nook with all of the windows and the vaulted ceiling is great. Not sure about the odd lighting and square table, though:

There’s a great little window seat on the landing, and I love the wood plank ceiling here, too.

One of the three bedrooms has a vaulted ceiling and a skylight, which I wouldn’t appreciate on Saturday mornings when the sun popped up in my face:

The house has 3 baths. This one has a vaulted ceiling and a checkered floor. Not sure what they were thinking with that overhead lighting, though.

I think it has the potential to be a real charmer. How would you decorate it?

I think it would be fun to live in this neighborhood full of modern cottages.

For more information and photos, check the listing. To learn about Conover Commons, visit their website. Thanks to Kim for finding this one!

Love cottages? Click here to see more!

bermudaonion (Kathy) July 3, 2011 at 7:39 am

I love the neighborhood, but boy is that pricey for a 1700 square foot home!

IAMSNWFLAKE July 3, 2011 at 7:51 am

It’s a nice house. I’m glad someone else noted the fact that skylights in the bedroom might not be the ultimate friend for weekend mornings.

Deb! July 3, 2011 at 8:03 am

For that amount of money, I’d want way more house, a HUGE yard…with a fabulous view and no neighbors anywhere near my property.

There’s nothing spectacular about the place. The asking price does not reflect anything more than a hefty profit for those who own the house now.

ann July 7, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Deb Washington has high prices for homes. Everywhere you look there is forest, mountains or water. Well atleast the west side of the Cascades. These are typical prices. Beautiful state to live in!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman July 3, 2011 at 8:10 am

not enough house for that much $$, but I know that’s an expensive area of the country. nice layout. But yes, the living room furniture and the lighting in nearly every room is terrible! Nice house overall. I’d change that living room for sure, and change most of the lighting.

Robin July 3, 2011 at 8:12 am

Pricey for what it is…. personally I would love to wake up to the skylights. :O)
One question… I see this often on real estate websites, what type of photography is used in these pictures? I don’t care for the look. I think they are trying to make the house more appealing but to me the pictures remind me of furniture catalogs in days past.

Kelly D July 3, 2011 at 11:16 am

I think HDR Photography is the name. Unless it was just badly tweaked in Photoshop.

Robin July 3, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Thanks Kelly!

Sheila Krehbiel July 3, 2011 at 8:20 am

Great bones! Love all the windows (but yeah, the skylight may prove to be a bit much). I’d change the dated white ceilings to start. Reminds me of another charming red house in a newish neighborhood in Kansas: http://www.weigand.idxco.com/idx/3929/details.php?idxID=075&listingID=321200

hookedonhouses July 3, 2011 at 5:39 pm

It does look similar! Like a bigger version of this one.

Luciane at Homebunch.com July 3, 2011 at 8:35 am

Good morning, Julia!

This is such a sweet cottage! I love houses that I can see living in it! This is one of them.

I hope you’re enjoying your long weekend!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Nan July 3, 2011 at 8:40 am

I Love the exterior of this little cottage but the interior doesn’t WOW me. We have several “neo-traditional” neighborhoods here in Charleston, most also very pricey! Here’s a link to one of my favorites: http://www.ionvillage.com/

hookedonhouses July 3, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Thanks, Nan!

Lesley @ The Design File July 3, 2011 at 8:51 am

I love these newer homes that are done in more traditional styles. But for some reason I can’t explain, it doesn’t seem all that livable to me — like it’s not quite designed well. But it is beautiful.

Nan July 3, 2011 at 8:54 am

Forgot to say, these are ALL brand new homes! Look in the center box, “Welcome to I’on” and at the bottom it will say “Find a home in I’on”, that will take you to the MLS listings. Enjoy :)

Debbie Summers July 3, 2011 at 9:08 am

Just love this house! It’s all about the details… Going to check out the homes on Whidbey Island when I visit next month.

Nick & Anne: The Just Married Blog July 3, 2011 at 9:19 am

I’m a big fan of country style mixed with contemporary, which this house is. Contempo-Country. Is that even a thing? I think I just made up a thing ;-)

Dee July 3, 2011 at 9:40 am

For that money, I’d expect a yard, not an overgrown weed patch. And you’re right. The house is just plain odd.

hookedonhouses July 3, 2011 at 1:48 pm

It’s a “green” community, so not a lot of lawn space.

jo July 3, 2011 at 9:46 am

Was she a blogger? wonder if she is giving that up too. Or just new material, new house.

hookedonhouses July 3, 2011 at 9:59 am

Jo–The entire community was featured in Cottage Living, not this specific house. That’s why I was curious to get a look at the interior of one of them. I don’t know who the homeowner is.

Pascale Steig July 3, 2011 at 9:48 am

Very cute house and neighborhood, but priced $300,000 too much.

Michele July 3, 2011 at 10:31 am

The price of the house doesn’t phase me. It’s par for the course in this part of the country and a lovely area. The only thing that would be hard for me is the one car garage. Remember this is right outside of Seattle where it’s nearly always raining!

The skylight is nice. In this part of the country you need all of the windows you can get. I doubt there would be many Saturday mornings the sun could actually wake you up from the light of the skylight.

hookedonhouses July 3, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I hadn’t thought of that! Good points, Michele.

Kelly D July 3, 2011 at 11:18 am

Love the community, the exterior is very cute too. Don’t like the interior though, one thing is the lighting is just too modern looking for my taste. Too bad the unpainted plank ceiling wasn’t through out the home, at least it would warm it up a bit. :)

HollyM July 3, 2011 at 11:19 am

Imagine how cute this place would be with some COLOR!!! Personally, I was never into the white on beige on cream on ivory craze, but I’m definitely over anyone else being into it. I’m not afraid to ruffle a feather or two when I say, “Tone on tone nothingness is boring!” Contrast is not ONLY achieved by texture.

What if everyone you knew wore only white, cream or black, and their accessories were chosen to ‘blend’ with their monochromatic dullness. I think I’d have to start wearing Betsy Johnson clothing just to counteract all that blandness, and channel my inner Cyndi Lauper. ; ^ )

Think what that house could look like with color on the walls, white woodwork, fabrics with color and prints on the furnishings, colorful pottery in the kitchen, the right rug on the floor, etc. The details would pop, and it would automatically be more interesting.

Lizzy July 3, 2011 at 11:46 am

Cute house – i HATE that photoshop/whatever treatment they do to the photos. I’m buying a house, not oil painting.s

Robin July 3, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I don’t like the photo treatment either. I don’t understand why they think it makes it look better. Some good natural photography is what is needed.

hookedonhouses July 3, 2011 at 1:53 pm

It is odd. I agree!

Lisa T. July 7, 2011 at 10:27 am

Yes. Very photo shopped looking. That whole breakfast area looks fake, including the light fixtures. Hate that.

cbean July 3, 2011 at 12:01 pm

The constrast between the warmth and charm of the exterior are a sharp contrast to the cold, bland interior. The architectural details inside are just out of proportion…too big and clunky.

Houses like that would go for around $85,000.00 in my neck of the woods.

Maaike Quinn July 3, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Oh, what a cozy house! I love the window seat. I would decorate it in a very friendly and cozy way, with lots of beautiful colors to spice up the place. And lots of wooden furniture! But then again, I would use those anywhere lol :p

Mary July 3, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I think the pricing is the result of Microsoft money in the area. I think the house has all the potential of the usual craftsman house, there are really quite alot of those in western Washington, but this one is badly decorated. Made worse by the photography which seems to skew the dimensions badly (bed looks very squashed to me). I am not a fan of no backyard, because I like lots of lush garden and I’m always dragging home a new perennial that will be needed yet more space. I am guessing they are trying to landscape with native material only, but it has a scrubby desert look to me. I am just not ready to give up the English cottage garden yet. I am also wondering what is the auto access to the houses. It looks like you approach the whole neighborhood on foot. Nice for noise levels, nice for pets and playing children.. not sure that would be convenient if you need to bring home a lot of groceries, update your major kitchen appliances, or add a new pieces of furniture. Though I guess if you can manage the price tag at a half mil, you can hire someone to help you haul things to the front door.

Linda @ Lime in the Coconut July 3, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Nice bones…I could have fun with it. I think they completely mixed the mark with all of the lighting fixtures!

Betty July 3, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Not a fan of manufactured charm. The CONover Commons website says it’s a community for singles and couples, doesn’t sound child friendly to me. I’d rather live in a real place not some designer’s dream of a childless community. Really it sounds more like a retirement community;P

Brian July 3, 2011 at 3:10 pm

We have the exact developement in Carmel, IN (Indianapolis) for about half of the cost. http://www.inglenookcarmel.com/

hookedonhouses July 3, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Interesting! We lived in Carmel as newlyweds. I’ll have to check that out!

Jessica and Holly July 3, 2011 at 3:33 pm

That is adorable!
-Jessica & Holly
Etsy.com/shop/chezjolly

Kim July 3, 2011 at 4:15 pm

You’re Welcome! I’m glad I found it. I agree, this house could use some color, but I think it’s very charming and I’m usually not a cottage fan. I couldn’t see myself living here with a family, but living here by myself would be perfect. I’m surprised there’s not a park in this development, but looking at a map, there is some grass, but not much.

Nita July 3, 2011 at 7:45 pm

How adorable. I would decorate it differently, and I love that neighborhood.

julie b July 3, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I just happened upon your blog tonight… and funny thing, i loved cottage living mag and this one in particular… i have saved it just because of this cottage community. i think it is a great idea instead of the same-ole, same-ole patio homes that have popped up everywhere. i liked the idea of the community feel of it with a common building for events, etc. the house is a little boring inside as far as decorating goes, and i agree about the ‘weird’ choice of lighting… but i like the cottage house itself. i do think that is way out of most people’s price range, especially for a 1700 sq ft house.

hookedonhouses July 3, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Oh, yay, I’m glad you remember that article and liked it, too. I was starting to think I was the only one! :-)

Destiny July 3, 2011 at 11:26 pm

The first thing I would do, after putting some color on the living room walls, would be to strip the home of all its current lighting and start over with something a little more traditional — traditional can be creative and inspired! I just don’t get their choices.

But, I do love a cottage and a cottage community. LOVE…

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints July 4, 2011 at 11:07 am

love every inch of that house. those counter stools are my favorite. what a fun neighborhood. oh and the house color. oh i wish i could have a red house.

Hoyt Clagwell July 4, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Oh good lord. HDR photo processing has even made its way into real-estate listing photos? Make it stop!

Idiot realtor doesn’t know that the blurry photos don’t make the listing seem more romantic or picturesque, but just bad because they look like horribly enlarged jpeg thumbnails.

Cindy July 4, 2011 at 7:00 pm

It’s a pocket neighborhood, isn’t it? I’m just reading a book about pocket neighborhoods – the idea is very appealing to me.

Spring July 4, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I’m looking in this area still, but it’s too much price for not enough house for my family. Ah well. *goes back to trolling MLS listings*

Also, up here you wouldn’t have to worry too much about the sun in your face on Saturdays. The sun only comes out on Mondays. :) Like today!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... July 5, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Like a fabulous blank slate.

Batangas Real Estate July 5, 2011 at 10:37 pm

The neighborhood seems okay and it looks pretty quiet. I love the house from outside view, it was like an old country home. never expected that the bathroom will be having a checkered floor. Anyway i love the house, specially one of the rooms you had shown.

Amy July 7, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Love the cottage style! However, the price is too high, in my opinion. The exterior of the home is very charming. The interior was disappointing. I would definitely add warm color the walls and get rid of the overhead lighting. The window seat with built-in shelving at the landing was a great idea (I’m a sucker for a window seat). Overall, I think the house is a good idea, but for the price (and no yard, that I can tell) it’s just not worth it.

Angela July 7, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I grew up with two 6 foot skylights in my bedroom….ugh, needless to say, I made a pretty “shades” for them on the inside out of twin sized sheets, and I made my daddy put black trash bag box over them on the outside. Never will I have skylights in my house….not only in my bedroom, but unless you get them tented right, they will fade your furniture. My parents have 5 of them in their house (crazy peeps).

~angela @ The Tassel House

Rie July 7, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I’ve been in this house! I actually did a blog post about The Cottage Company (developers of these little cottage communities). I absolutely love these neighborhoods. We lived in Redmond for two years, and I would go a little out of my way just to drive past these houses. I took a tour of several when they were on the market. I really love the vision of the architects. Oh, and as to the skylight in the bedroom… remember that this is WA! The sun rarely peeks it’s head out, so no worries on that one. :)

Linda July 8, 2011 at 2:10 pm

We’ve enjoyed the conversation about this home and our Conover Commons Homes community (this home is not part of Conover Commons Cottages), completed in 2007 in Redmond, WA near Microsoft & Google, in the center of our technology employment area. Thanks for your comments! If you are intrigued with our innovative communities, you may be interested in our latest…..Chico Beach Cottages…..a waterfront, beachside community of 7 cottages, on the shores of Puget Sound with sweeping Mt. Rainier views from every home! Amazing place, come visit and see for yourselves!

hookedonhouses July 8, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Thanks for the link and info, Linda! I didn’t realize there was a separate neighborhood with the cottages, which explains the confusion.

Connie September 15, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I wish photographers would quit over photo-shopping home pictures. They look cartoonish and not at all realistic. We complain about people being rendered unauthentic due to photoshop, but homes, which have as much character as people–because we give them character!–go through this process of unnatural lighting and color.
P.S. I enjoyed your photos of Karen Blixen’s home in “Out of Africa.” I have a friend who was an extra in the party (the “God Save the Queen” party segment). It’s a great movie. And please note–they used the natural lighting of Africa!

asheville bed and breakfast October 21, 2011 at 4:19 am

Yep I agree with the pricing and how the area affects it. Well, the houses have a lot of potential. nice post.

asheville bed and breakfast October 21, 2011 at 4:22 am

Natural photo or Photoshopped I think the photos will still be amazing. I can’t wait till I have the kind of this house.

Victoria January 2, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I must say though the house is expensive, I would buy if it was just me or me and my husband and I had enough money. The neighborhood is absolutely priceless, DREAM! The house is beautiful inside and has so much character. Doesn’t seem like it would feel crammed.

{ 1 trackback }