A Tribeca Townhouse in an 1862 Limestone Mansion For Sale

by hookedonhouses on June 11, 2011

Got $30 mill? Then you could own these views on top of a 13,500 square-foot penthouse for sale in the heart of Tribeca (New York).The roof terrace alone has 2,775 square feet to roam around on–more space than a lot of us have inside our houses! The townhouse itself covers the top three floors of the building. It’s a pretty interesting space, so take a look.

A glass staircase is referred to as “the apartment’s centerpiece, allowing the sunlight to shine straight through to the 4th floor.”

The bedroom has a much more finished look than the other rooms, but it’s just as big:

I think the library is pretty darn cool. I could go for a room like this!

You can see the original cast-iron columns in some of the rooms, including the kitchen, which has an industrial look and lots of open shelving:

Have you ever dreamed of living in a loft space like this with exposed brick walls and beams?

Check the listing for more photos and information. Every Sunday I feature interesting houses for sale. To see more, click here!

VeggieGirl June 11, 2011 at 9:13 pm

My dream!

The Little Red Shop June 11, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Oooh….Ever since I was teenager…I’ve wanted a loft! I could definitely deal with that living room…and library. Yum.

: )

Julie M.

Lesley @ TheDesignFile June 11, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I love the idea of living in a loft space but there’s something about this one that is just overwhelming to me. I think there’s just too much space.

I do love the library though. That’s my favorite!

Holley June 13, 2011 at 5:42 am

I had an efficiency loft in Clifton when I went to the University of Cincinnati. It was fun and I was sorry to leave it (a friend wanted me to room with her–I should have never left that loft for sooooo many reasons.)

I agree that it is overwhelming, but I might be willing to suffer for the library.

When I first saw that kitchen, I thought, “Look at those shelves! How would I reach the top two shelves?” Then I saw the ladder and thought, “Oh that is just a fabulous idea: Me + ladder + breakable objects = absolutely nothing could go wrong with that combination. Why don’t we make it really exciting and store the knives up there too!”

Tricia Rose June 11, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I would move in in a heartbeat – I could cope~

Karena June 11, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Julia I love this Loft Soace, the light and open feeling with so many unique details is amazing. Love the Rooftop terrace as well.

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

JennaMom2Boys June 11, 2011 at 9:44 pm

That looks a lot like Patty Hewes’ apartment in Damages, but I’m sure you would’ve said if it was! (GORGEOUS place!)

Mr. Goodwill Hunting June 11, 2011 at 10:17 pm

This looks somewhat similar to a property they showed on Selling New York. It may be the same one.

Its nice I’ll tell ya that!

Rashon aka Mr. Goodwill Hunting

Alex June 11, 2011 at 11:30 pm

It is pretty interesting and impressive, that is for sure! But at the same time, the house purist in me can’t help but be a little sad for what it once was and what it has become. Even if I had the $$$, I don’t see myself buying it. Since we’re being realistic here, I think I’d go for an historically restored but grand brownstone because I would go for something quite so industrial, but that’s just me.

Beverly from Montreal June 12, 2011 at 5:07 am

I feel the same way. If I were fortunate enough to have the means to purchase a Thirty Million Dollar New York City property, it would have to be an exquisitely restored brownstone on a tree-lined street, preferably in close proximity to Central Park.

Kellye June 12, 2011 at 7:24 am

I feel the same way! Although the building was originally probably a factory and not a residence. Still, I can picture wonderful barrel-vaulted ceilings…

Don Corson June 11, 2011 at 11:34 pm

I’ve always told my wife that I would live in New York, if…

in this case, IF I could live in a little pad like this one, definitely.

Nathan June 11, 2011 at 11:54 pm

That bedroom is about the size of my apartment.

Maria June 12, 2011 at 12:20 am

This normally isn’t my style, but I love it!

Diana June 12, 2011 at 1:28 am

That bedroom IS the size of my apartment and I raised 4 kids here!

Kim June 12, 2011 at 2:08 am

I love the idea of living in a loft space, but this one doesn’t appeal to me. I wish they would have preserved the original style instead of updating certain parts.

Maaike Quinn @ Life with FlyLady June 12, 2011 at 5:01 am

Wow, this is just crazy! Imagine what it must be like to life here! Now I just need to find $30,000,000 lol :p

Maaike Quinn June 14, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I really love that red wall in the second picture, by the way :D

Deb! June 12, 2011 at 7:29 am

If I had $30 mil. to spend on a property it would be surrounded by gorgeous, lush greenery, formal gardens and have an ocean view!

The bedroom and library are nice; the kitchen looks like a cross between a potters display room and a school biology lab.

the 7msn ranch June 12, 2011 at 8:09 am

I was ready to write the check until I went to the listing and checked out the street view. For $30 million, I’d want a tree-lined street.

Megan June 12, 2011 at 9:23 am

I love this loft – the library alone is worth it! I was just wondering about the glass staircase – wouldn’t that be extremely slick?

Maria June 12, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Yes, the library…swoon!

edith June 12, 2011 at 10:40 am

I think that kitchen would be a pain, having to go up and down the ladder. “Oh, I need the large blue bowl”

Amanda @ Serenity Now June 12, 2011 at 11:02 am

Oh, that library!!! I could curl up in there all day! ;) Great feature, Julia. :)

Carla June 12, 2011 at 2:50 pm

My heart be still… That townhouse is a dream, I love every detail, the style, the architecture, it is all gorgeous! I even yelled for my husband to come over and take a look, he loves it too! Thanks for showing us Julia :)

Deb in Oz June 12, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Love everything about this loft! Could quite happily take my toothbrush and move right in.

Lori-Anne June 12, 2011 at 6:33 pm

What a gorgeous space – although for $30 million I should hope so! Not so fussy about the industrial equipment in the kitchen, but the rest suits me just fine!!!

Dawn June 12, 2011 at 8:21 pm

It’s not for me – too large and industrial for my taste.

I guess I’ll just have to spend the $30 mil elsewhere. *sigh*

Jessica at Lavender and Lilies June 12, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Amazing. That place is incredible in every way!

shelly joseph June 12, 2011 at 11:40 pm

gorgeous.. But when I saw the staircase leading from the kitchen it reminded me of the home of Dr and Mrs Kimball from the Fugitive with Tommy Lee Jones.. that said I would take that place in a New York Minute..

Luciane at Homebunch.com June 13, 2011 at 6:33 am

Wow! It’s beautiful, but I could do SO MUCH with $30 Mil that I’d never spend in one single place! I mean, sure, even if you’re a billionaire. NY is not a place I’d like to live, with 3 kids! I’d like to visit and have fun, but I prefer living in a safer and calmer environment. :-)

Have a great week!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Ann June 13, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Well I’m pleased that in this case I don’t care that I don’t have 30 million, or even 3 million for that matter. Maybe I’m alone, but it just doesn’t appeal to me at all.

Patience June 13, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Of all the houses I’ve seen on your blog, this one is my favorite.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... June 14, 2011 at 3:18 pm