Classic Brick & Shingle House For Sale in Greenwich

by hookedonhouses on May 21, 2011

It’s the weekend, which means it’s time to snoop through the real estate listings to see what’s for sale (she says as though she doesn’t do that every day of the week…ha). Today I found this house near downtown Greenwich, Connecticut, that I like, even though I find the one-car garage a little odd, especially in this price range ($3.895 million). It’s not even an old house, which would have explained the limited garage space–it was built in 2010.

I quickly forgot about that when I saw the “spectacular floating circular staircase” in the entry, though, and all of the gorgeous woodwork.

According to the listing, this is “a formal paneled reception/living room with a distinctly city feel that stands ready to welcome your guests:”

The chef’s kitchen has a Sub Zero refrigerator and ASKO dishwasher:

There are 4 fireplaces, and one is in the formal dining room with a marble surround:

Bleached, 5-inch rifted and quarter-sawn white oak floors run throughout the house. The two-story family room ceiling is curved and beamed:

There are 4 bedrooms, 4 baths, and 5,300 square feet:

The house is very “on trend” with the gray-painted moldings and pale floors. If you don’t like white and gray, though, the rooms would probably leave you cold. I would definitely need to warm it up a little to live here myself!

There’s a terraced back patio with an outdoor brick fireplace:

Are you loving all the gray and white? Or do you think it’s a wash-out?

If this your dream home, visit the listing by Barbara Wells for Prudential Realty for more photos and information.

See More Houses For Sale:

melissa May 21, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I love the subtle colors, so calming and lovely! What a wonderful home. The only thing I thought looked a little off was the ginormous light fixture over the dining room table. I’m sure it is fashionable and stylish though..
Thanks for sharing as always!

Karena May 21, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Julia I love this style of home. So comfortable and so much you can do with interior decor!!
xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Come and enter my Great Giveaway from Serena & Lily!

You will love it!

Maria May 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Beautiful home. Love the woodwork and though gray isn’t my thing it’s easy to change to something warmer.

The main oddity that throws me (other than the 1 car garage) is the doorway to the dining room from the kitchen in what IMHO is smack in the middle of what should be a run of counter. The fridge/stove are squished into one corner. Not very practical for someone who likes to cook even if it does have a butler’s pantry in there.

Also, I wonder how may people who buy houses with these statement bathrooms with a huge tub in the center of a big room uses them? I love baths but it’s freezing to sit in a bath in the middle of a room like this one.

Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip May 21, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Beautiful house! I LOVE the outdoor fireplace!!

I agree about the 1 car garage. It’s odd having only a one car garage with a house built in 2010… especially for the price!

Brandon @ Southgate May 21, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I love Tudor style houses…and love how this one is so much larger than it looks. I can appreciate the gray and white but not sure I could live with it myself. Does it drive anyone else crazy that there is only one garage door? I wish they’d given that side a setback or something so it wasn’t begging to look the same.

Kim May 22, 2011 at 12:27 am

Yes I can’t stand it either. I keep wanting to edit out that picture and add a garage door to the house. I know they wanted to try something different, but it is a big turnoff.

Kim May 21, 2011 at 11:38 pm

What a gorgeous house! If I were to buy it, I would stain the woodwork and the staircase.

That 1 car garage is a problem for me. I would make it into a two car garage if I had the money.

I’m with you Julia, I am constantly looking at houses each week. I love seeing what’s out there and dreaming of living in them.

Rhianna May 21, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I’m not a huge fan of the white and gray color scheme, but I think it was well done in this house.

The Little Red Shop May 22, 2011 at 12:00 am

Considering the size of the kitchen and the garage…I’m thinking the owners must not have been much for cookin’ & drivin!” It does seem quite odd for a house with that square footage. Is there possibly another garage on the property? (I have yet to look at the link) I absolutely love the family room….but the bleached wood on top of (under) all of the other cool colors…gives me the chills. I too, would have to warm up the space!

Happy House Hunting!

: )

Julie M.

Lizzy May 22, 2011 at 12:11 am

That kitchen seems really small. I mean, but for the island, there’s not a lot of counter space (that can be seen)

And I know this is just me, but the thought of painting all that beautiful wood trim makes me just sad…..

Nichole@40daysof May 22, 2011 at 12:21 am

It’s very beautiful and on trend, like you said. But… those floors belong in a beach house or at least something a little less traditional. If I am paying that much money for a house (which I totally can’t), I don’t want to have to re-do the floors in seven years when everyone starts to recover from the “graying of American interiors”.

Nathan May 22, 2011 at 12:45 am

I was not expecting that interior from looking at the exterior of the house. I personally like white and the “colour” scheme used in this house but I just don’t think it works. The only thing I don’t like is the flooring. I prefer darker hardwood to the wood used here. I’m also not a huge fan of the one car garage/one car carport. I think both should have been the same – and I think both as carports would look best though I know most people prefer garages. I also think the hanging light (chandelier I think) in the second photo should be a bit higher and maybe a tad bigger as well.

Nathan May 22, 2011 at 12:50 am

I meant to add in my post that I would add colour. Even something as plain as “contractor’s beige” would add something, though I’d add a lot more colour than that.

Christina May 22, 2011 at 2:04 am

I love the house but all that white and gray make it uninviting.. You must have color. What are they trying to prove that the “minimalist” look that’s been out for a thousand years is somehow back in? I feel like it’s so pretentious. A real house shouldn’t look like a museum.. It should look comfortable, inviting and have nice colors …shades of warm and cool and various others.. especially in the kitchen where people tend to migrate.. color, great cookware… great backsplashes.. you name it. Color is key to inviting. Fortess of solitude made into a home you feel great coming into. It’s a beautiful home, but the decor has got to go…

Maaike Quinn @ Life with FlyLady May 22, 2011 at 2:22 am

Hey, I just wrote the same! I don’t like the colors either, especially the gray is so plain and boring!

Maaike Quinn @ Life with FlyLady May 22, 2011 at 2:21 am

I’m in doubt about this one. Yes,sure, it’s beautiful. But I don’t like all the white and gray inside. Also, I love a cozy fireplace, but for of them is way too much for me. I do like the exterior though.

Nita@ModVintageLife.com May 22, 2011 at 2:37 am

Love it!

E. George May 22, 2011 at 2:47 am

I don’t know if it’s the colder days here or the colours of the house but I’m feeling a bit of a chill. The house is beautiful but it needs warming up. Hi Julia thanks for sharing this great looking home with us. Regards Esther from Sydney. PS have to tell you something funny our TV was 25 years old, hubby just bought a new 40″flatscreen watched The Holiday last night WOW I can see clearly now. I will be doing a lot of catching up with all my chicflicks.

Barbara May 22, 2011 at 4:00 am

The staircase was freeking me out. Trying to carry a baby down those steps.
I have small steps and already 2 people have slipped down them. I thought the house was a bore with the colors.

tracy June 13, 2011 at 4:59 pm

There is an elevator in the house

Kate May 22, 2011 at 4:30 am

i think the light colours work brilliantly for an open house viewing as it allows people to imagine their interiors everywhere… but i would have to redo a lot! i prefer dark wood floorings but that wouldn’t be as quick a change as the white walls in each room

Janice May 22, 2011 at 4:34 am

I seem to be the odd man out. I love the portico instead of a second garage door Garages on thr fronts of houses are so ugly. Part of why I hate suberbs – streets of garages. As for the house, sure it needs some colour and warmth, but the grey floors are a really unfortunate choice. Ugly and expensive to strip and refinish.

tracy June 13, 2011 at 5:00 pm

floors are not grey…they are bleached quarter sawn and rift white oak…

Connecticut Girl May 22, 2011 at 6:59 am

Is this house “walk to the train” because that would explain the garage? Have to look at the listing and see where it’s actually located relative to the train station.

This part of of the world, and that price bracket — the people who buy this house will not be mowing the lawn or doing much (if any!) of their own yard work.

bermudaonion (Kathy) May 22, 2011 at 7:10 am

It’s gorgeous, but it doesn’t look homey to me. My house may not be that beautiful, but it feels like home and people always seem to feel comfortable here.

Holley May 22, 2011 at 8:51 am

I think it has beautiful bones and I agree that the white and gray is well done here, but I would absolutely need to add some color and warmer woodwork.

I adore the terraced brick patio though.

I also do not like the great room. Frankly, I’m thinking the great room should be a bit smaller and the kitchen a bit larger. It looks odd to me in that open plan to have such a tiny kitchen connected to the humungous great room. Sure you can chat with your guests, but you need to shout to do it.

Deb! May 22, 2011 at 9:29 am

Looks as if there was a sale on one color and the homeowner(s) went with it!

The furnishings are sparse, the bathroom shown is absurdly huge.

I can’t help but wonder if a single male lives in this house.

Patience May 22, 2011 at 10:07 am

It’s a beautiful house. I like the gray/white palate, but I don’t know if I could live with it forever.

Maddie May 22, 2011 at 10:50 am

It is great for selling. But please more contrast and color in real life. It reminds me of a black and white picture–very neutral and blah.

Dee May 22, 2011 at 11:44 am

No! I think the right hand garage door is just open! You can see the top of the door in the arch.

Dee May 22, 2011 at 11:49 am

Actually – I take that back! It does say 1 car garage??!! That’s quirkey … Oh well, I guess I’ll have to spend my $3.5 million dollar “purse cash” on another property! lol!

Pat May 22, 2011 at 11:59 am

I love the color scheme, but in a house that size, I would have to add a bit of color such as deep blue, green, red or whatever your prefrence accessorie in the kitchen. This lot appears to be quite small, but I still would have added a second garage door.
I love the family room, but noticed the TV is on another level. I’d put it in the family room and enjoy the daylights out of the entire room!

cbean May 22, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Brrrrr…I get cold just looking at it. It’s crying out for some warm colors, for sure.

And what’s that rectangular box hanging over the dining table?

Too bad the interior is so cold and univiting…a stark contrast of the welcoming appeal on the outside.

Arie May 22, 2011 at 2:28 pm

It’s pretty for sure, but for me and my family, it’s too big, too grey, and too formal. I don’t think we would get that ‘cozy’ feeling in a place like that.
I like the one car garage, I’d like it better if there was no attached garage at all. I always hated the look of a garage in front of a house, seen from the road. Nice front facade, marred by a big giant white garage door.

Linda @ Lime in the Coconut May 22, 2011 at 2:55 pm

OOOOOoooh. Didja see that FR ceiling???

::clunk::

Handy Man, Crafty Woman May 22, 2011 at 3:35 pm

eh. too cold & stark looking. I know there’s not much in it, but it just feels cold. I was expecting something different, from the looks of the outside. and I agree, that 1 car garage deal is odd. what is that other space? a carport? overhang? a place to sit & grill?? weird.

Teresa Griffith May 22, 2011 at 4:50 pm

pretty house but I like color! And I agree, the dining room light is way too big and clumsy for the table and chairs.

david May 22, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I want to drop a big pot of red flowers into the middle of each of those rooms. I did grey way back when and it can be serene which is fine for a master bedroom. In social rooms you will get tired of it very quickly. Grey can take on a dingy look easily.

The Texas Peach May 22, 2011 at 5:03 pm

To me, this home feels rather cold. I would definitely have to warm it up with some color. My least favorite thing would have to be the bleached white oak floors. My favorite thing about this home is the back patio. I would expect at least a two car garage for that price range too!

Jackie May 22, 2011 at 9:00 pm

It looks like they might be trying to use the space next to the one car garage as a dual purpose space. It certainly looks like a carport but it could be used as a porch as well. Still, in Conn. in winter, another garage bay would make more sense.

Sharon May 22, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Not a fan of this house. It’s over sized and cold. The living room looks like a gymnasium. As much as I used to be in awe of large homes, now most of just leave me feeling blah. There’s something to be said for the cozy feel.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... May 23, 2011 at 3:05 pm

SO pretty. It’s just begging for color.

Marie May 23, 2011 at 5:22 pm

The wall and trim colors remind me of all the Doris Day/Rock Hudson movies. They always had light grey walls and trim.

Alisha May 23, 2011 at 10:08 pm

That bathroom! I would never leave! I love the colors and the simplicity of the house, I think the architectural details more than make up for the lack of color. It looks like a house that would be very easy to relax in.

Emily May 23, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Stuuuuuuuunning!

Khiori May 25, 2011 at 11:29 am

Love the outside architecture, and the back terrace.

You can have the rest.

Not on my list if I win the lottery.

Melissa January 5, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I much prefer the “country cape” for $1.495m instead!

Angela August 26, 2012 at 10:56 pm

It’s beautiful but, as you say Julia, it needs a bit of a warm up.

{ 3 trackbacks }