For Sale: A French Country Estate in Montecito, California

On Sunday afternoons I like to search the real estate listings, and the ones in Montecito and Santa Barbara, California, always have some amazing homes worth daydreaming over. Here’s one I found that’s billed as “An enchanting French Country Estate set on 2 level acres of beautifully landscaped lawns and gardens with incredible mountain views.”

It’s listed at $6.95 million and has over 8,000 square feet of living space.

The house has “hand-hewn beamed ceilings, elegant handcrafted European details, antique French wrought-iron hardware, and distressed oak plank floors,” according to the listing.

What I like about this house is that, despite its size, its elegance, and its price tag, it looks loved and lived in, like real people could (and do) live here.

The Master Suite is a departure from all of the dark, warm colors in the rest of the house. It looks very serene and a little more contemporary:

The house has 6 bedrooms and 5.3 baths, including this one, which has a fireplace and a beautiful view of the mountains:

The Pub/Game Room looks like a great place to hang out:

You know a property is big when they have to take an aerial view of it in order to fit it all in the photo:

Is this your dream home? For more information and photos, check the listing at Sotheby’s.

Click Here to See More Sunday Open House Posts!

Designer Penelope Bianchi has listed her "Provençal farmhouse" in Santa Barbara for $5.95 million. When I stumbled across it in the real estate listings, I…
Jennifer Aniston's $5.9 million NYC penthouse
Jennifer Aniston selling huge house in Cali; buys 1-BR penthouse in NYC: E! Huffington Post says Jen actually bought two: Deets. Celeb Chef Curtis Stone…

Comments

1. Nita says

My heart skipped a beat when I saw that kitchen! Be still my heard, I adore this house!

2. Linda says

How beautiful! For such a big home, it has a surprisingly cozy feel to it. Thanks for this post….really loved it!

I love the kitchen! The master’s bedroom is really different from how the rest of house looks like. Very modern.

This house is absolutely gorgeous. Even though the house is large, the rooms have an intimacy. I agree with you, they look like real people live there. And the site is to die for. I could live there…
    Best,
    Susan

5. Jane says

You can put me down as another fan of this house. Love that they didn’t go the Hollywood Shabby Chic route with the decor. Looks like the perfect place to wile away a Sunday afternoon.

Fantastic estate! My only issue is the Mauve (or is it pink) colored kitchen cabinets and the same color on the walls in the reading room. eeehhh!

• hookedonhouses says

Mauve? That’s odd. It looks more red on my screen. Not sure I could handle mauve cabinets!

Oh, I Looooooove the exposed beams on the ceilings. For such a large home, it really does feel lived in. I’m not a fan of the salmony colored couch, but the house on a whole is fantastic!!!!

Happy Sunday to me! What wonderful eye candy for a Sunday morning!
    I love this place, I don’t think I’d complain if I lived there! Just that master bath would be enough for me, but nooooo, there has to be more to drool over!
    Once again, the curious in me wants to know, why sell? and Where are they going? It would be awfully sad to me to leave some place like this. I hope they are moving up! LOL!

Incredible. Beautiful home. I grew up about 20 minutes from Montecito but my house was 2 bedroom, 2 bath. :)

10. Kathleen says

Wow Beautiful!!!hank you for sharing – usually these monster big house don’t push my buttons – but this one sure does. I wonder if I could buy it furnished? I even liked the most of the furnishings. Nice Nice Nice

11. Kim says

I usually wouldn’t want a huge house, but this is a retreat I would love to have as my vacation home. I love how cozy this house is and I love all of the different details. It’s interesting because just looking at the outside, I would expect it to be so different in the inside, but it’s not. If I had the money, I would sweep this home right up.

Thanks for sharing this with us Julia!

Lovely house, but it’s California roots are showing! Actually the only thing I thought was weird was the bathtub encased in wood. It looks like a kitchen island! I think a clawfoot tub would have looked much better, don’t you?

Still, I agree that it looks like I could move right in and take a dip in that pool!

Another incredible home . Each room is very tasteful indeed, each with its own character . You can probably escape to any room if you need a change and you will feel like you are in a different place each time. I think the lower ceilings and the fact that it is filled with furniture gives it a cozy feeling. The place should look grand and it does- it reflects the price tag for sure.

You sold me at French Country Estate in Montecito California! What an amazing house! Lots of lovely details that truly make a house incredible. The fireplace in the bathroom? Love it, especially because it’s California and I doubt it would ever be a necessity. Great find Julia!

15. Gerry says

I think it’s the use of color that gives it the friendly lived-in feeling. I love those plaid chairs in the dining room! It’s all very pretty. Would love to see it in real life!