For Sale: A Small Stone House in New Hope, PA

by hookedonhouses on April 10, 2011

I have a thing for old stone houses, so when I saw this one for sale in New Hope, Pennsylvania, my heart skipped a beat. It was built in 1718, which makes it one of the oldest houses in the area. I’d love to see the right person buy it and do this historic home justice.

It’s listed at $595,000.

The living room has beamed ceilings, a stone fireplace, and a spiral staircase.

The homeowners seem to really like this color and have it throughout the house, starting with the front door:

There’s a (kind of regrettable) frame addition stuck onto the back that needs an overhaul–especially the dated kitchen (unlike the original part of the house, it’s dated in the wrong way):

But I love the original house and details like this door leading to the hidden staircase:

And the bedroom, which has its own stone fireplace:

The house is only about 1,600 square feet, but it sits on over 2 acres and includes a separate building that can be used as a studio or office. It also has a creek with a little bridge that leads to a gazebo.

If you bought this nearly 300-year old house, what would you do with it?

For more information and photos, check the listing. Seen a beautiful or interesting house for sale that I should feature on Sunday Open House? Send it to me!

Click Here to See More Sunday Open Houses I Featured, Like a Reader’s Dream Home in Encino and a Storybook House in Santa Ana!

melissa April 10, 2011 at 8:26 am

Wow, darling! Yes, I would live there…how sweet and comforting it looks! The only change I would make is to possibly make the kitchen a bit more charming to match the rest of the house. Maybe change the cupboard doors, not sure if I like that tile on the floor, new appliances (perhaps http://www.elmirastoveworks.com/antique.aspx this type?) etc. Thanks for sharing this with us, it’s so fun to see!

Sandy April 10, 2011 at 8:32 am

Where do you find all these awesome homes??? I need you to be my real estate agent. No matter how specific I am in my criteria, he always sends me listings that look nothing like what I’ve described!!
This house is just too cute! Very nice! I agree with Melissa that the kitchen could use a re-do, but the rest is adorable.
Great find, Julia!

Phyllis Briner April 10, 2011 at 8:36 am

Love it! I want it! That would be a fun kitchen restoration and it has enough of a yard to work with.

Tee April 10, 2011 at 8:38 am

I want it! I wanna move right in and do it all sorts of good!!! Would LOVE to live there… I might even have given up Vinnord (my own cottage)… lol

Tricia Rose April 10, 2011 at 8:43 am

It looks well-maintained, so even though it doesn’t really look like the sort of ‘before’ brave buyers revel in, it could be updated so easily! (if any update is ‘easy’). Lovely, lovely place, hope you can do a follow-up!

Patience April 10, 2011 at 9:11 am

What would I do with this house? For starters, I wouldn’t furnish it with a faux Tiffany lamp and craftsman-style chairs! I would repaint the house in colors appropriate to the era in which it was built. I would either tear down or renovate the frame addition, particularly that horrid sliding glass door. I would abandon that new kitchen, locate the original kitchen space of the house and create an unfitted kitchen/keeping room. I’m thinking free-standing cabinets, farmhouse sink, antique farmhouse table. Also, that little pediment over the front door, on the exterior is all wrong. Off with it!

Pat April 10, 2011 at 10:09 am

First I would hug that beautiful stone exterior! Be still my heart!
I do not care for the color of the door and any where else it’s used in the house. The kitchen could use some love too.
Truly, I’d be so thrilled with land and stone, it would take me a while to stop doing the happy dance! LOL!

Teacup Lane April 10, 2011 at 10:14 am

I live in PA and love stone houses too! We tour many of the historical homes during the Christmas season which is so much fun. Many of the historical homes are owned by people with money…lots of it. This home is adorable. I don’t think the kitchen is that bad…I have the same cupboards in my home (15 years old)…LOL! But I love farmhouse sinks and that would look so appropriate here.

cherylk April 10, 2011 at 10:25 am

I could SO live there…dated kitchen and all! Talk about curb appeal!!

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints April 10, 2011 at 10:38 am

could it be any more charming? love every inch!

Amy W. April 10, 2011 at 10:41 am

Simply put…….If I bought this home…I’d just LOVE it!!!

Nita April 10, 2011 at 10:46 am

We lived near there for a year and a half and those types of homes are all over the place. New Hope is a shopping mecca with a bridge you can walk over to Lambertville in NJ. There is one historic road that you travel down for miles and nothing on it has changed since the late 1700s, and all the houses are that old. That is where I first saw black and white banded cows. The houses are all gorgeous.

Jenny Allworthy April 10, 2011 at 11:45 am

Boy it wouldn’t take much to make this house perfect. A bit of paint, some TLC in the kitchen/rear reno area and voila!

The outside, both front and back are heart stoppingly gorgeous!

Thanks for the daydream. Now back to my dog hair covered rug….the vacuum awaits!

CeCe April 10, 2011 at 11:48 am

I love this cottage! It reminds me of Kate Winslet’s house in “The Holiday”. I might change some of the colors, but I sort of like them. The kitchen isn’t too bad either, maybe change the appliances our for stainless?

Jane April 10, 2011 at 11:48 am

I love stone houses. I’d tear out the ugly kitchen and put in a nice slate or flagstone floor, a big copper farmhouse sink, and a big trestle table. Get rid of the cupboards and use unfitted pieces. Probably paint the mustard colored walls. Furnish it with all my Hitchcock and Windsor chairs that I’ve collected for the last three decades. Along with the braided rugs. Make it very Christmas in Connecticut-y! I often do a bit of armchair traveling through Bucks County and the Berkshires via B&B websites and the real estate listings. Glad to see that I’m not the only one!

debbie April 10, 2011 at 11:56 am

I agree with CeCE and I would turn this house into my own version of Kate Winslett’s cottage in The Holiday!

Mary April 10, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Picture number 5, that cut out bar between the kitchen and the family room, has to go. Really violates period.
That said, I do recognize that it’s truly hard to live in house this old if it’s kept strictly true to period. That would probably involve a kitchen separated from the house (which is why the kitchen here is in the addition) and an out-house bathroom. (wonder what the bath does look like)
When I was selling real estate in Connecticut I got to see a house that had been lived in by an elderly gentleman, but hadn’t been significantly touched. It was fascinating, but rough. Some bedrooms merely had wooden shelves with thin matresses. There was a mound that turned out to be the cold storage, cooled by a spring. The shower was a metal cube that looked out of place in the little room used as bath. I can understand why these folks put an addition on and I’d say they were right to do it, just needs some interior remodeling. I’m wondering what kind of heating they are using, how many baths they have (my guess would be one)
None of that would stop me from living there!

RosieJo April 10, 2011 at 12:14 pm

So much like the British stone cottage in The Holiday!

petra voegtle April 10, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Julia, I would like to know how this house looked like in the original condition. The modern windows and door are totally wrong and out of place. That’s a shame because otherwise this house would look wonderfully old English. A doll house. I love small houses especially when they come with a huge ground! And the interior – I think it does not fit into this house at all and I don’t like it. The old beams, the hidden staircase (how charming) and original amenities must stay of course – but everything else would have to go. It is awful. Colours and the whole furniture – no way. I would take everything out! The ground that comes with the house is breathtaking – you could make a jewel out of the whole ensemble.

Nichole@40daysof April 10, 2011 at 1:43 pm

A really adorable house. The first thing to go would be all of that pinky red paint, at least on the inside. Probably on the outside as well.

sarah macklem April 10, 2011 at 1:44 pm

In Love. I want to get ahold of that kitchen. Thanks for sharing.

Lesley @ The Design File April 10, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I’d redo the kitchen and then simplify. I think it looks pretty but I’d like it with straighter lines and simpler furniture. It’s really wonderful!

IAMSNWFLAKE April 10, 2011 at 3:30 pm

So so cute!!! Lovely house, lovely grounds, creek, bridge, gazebo … it’s a dream come true.

Diane April 10, 2011 at 5:13 pm

How darling! I absolutely love that staircase. I think a bit of a ‘rustic country kitchen’ update, complete with a farm sink, would be great.

Kim April 10, 2011 at 6:01 pm

What a nice and charming cottage. The only thing I would do, is redo that kitchen. The cabinets look nice, but they just don’t fit in with the style of the house. I would update the cabinets with something antique.

david April 10, 2011 at 6:29 pm

That house is fantastic and built in 1700s and even still more economical that some of the houses they make today.

Amanda @ Serenity Now April 10, 2011 at 7:50 pm

It’s charming!! The staircase would freak me out having small kids, but I love the exterior. How cool that there’s a separate office!

Su April 10, 2011 at 7:52 pm

If I were able to change my community, and move over to PA, then I’d be able to buy my dream home…which this is close too. But a few changes would have to be in order: (including flush, deep pockets to complete this daydream)
First thou, the entire place would get a paint-over. More gardens too please, English.
2nd, replace all the appliances in the kitchen to AGA (www.aga-ranges.com)
because the beauty would match the era perfectly and give this heirloom its deserved jewels. Match the dishwasher as well.
3rdly, replace the cupboard hardware.
4th, clean the fireplaces and plant 6 flowering trees.
5th, hire a stain glass artist to custom make a piece for one of the windows, in the style of 1720′s
6, have a dinner party, with the dinner menu of a typical family of 1720′s, complete with meringue pie for desert. link below:
(http://www.foodreference.com/html/html/food-timeline-1720-1739.html)

Stephanie April 10, 2011 at 8:20 pm

This is such a wonderful house. I would definenitly remodel the kitchen to fit the rest of the house. A gte rid of that pink quickly!!

Stephanie April 10, 2011 at 8:21 pm

This is such a wonderful house. I would definenitly remodel the kitchen to fit the rest of the house. A get rid of that pink quickly!!

Jennifer E. April 10, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I love it when you post interesting homes from my neck of the woods! It’s our dream to someday own an historic home like this one. Feel lucky that they are all over the place here. Great find!

Jocelyn Stott April 11, 2011 at 12:41 am

Uhm…wow – that is all I can say. My Mom is from PA and has many fond stories of New Hope, and I can totally see myself if this house. I mean, goodness…who couldn’t? Beautiful and so charming. Thank you for sharing this! I loved it.

Luciane at Homebunch.com April 11, 2011 at 5:31 am

Good Monday, Julia! :-)

How are you doing?

Oh.. what an adorable place! I love the outdoors! Love it! The indoors need some work, but it full of charm and has a huge potential. Huge! That backyard is just amazing!

Have a Blessed week!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Nadege April 11, 2011 at 5:41 am

I just love love love the house and the colors. Definitely my kind of house.

marta April 11, 2011 at 6:07 am

I love the wood beams in the bedroom! And the tile in the kitchen. I would
1. repaint every room
2. repaint front doors and shutters to RED perhaps :)
3. Add some beautiful flowers in the front

love the stone – thanks Julia!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... April 11, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I don’t dig the paint colors but I love the house.

Kelly April 11, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I love old stone house too! My aunt and uncle lived in one in Cincinnati. Visiting that stone home when I was a child started my love of houses.

Bre April 11, 2011 at 10:05 pm

The ceilings…the fireplaces…the staircases…the doors…I’m in love! I still haven’t gone to New Hope for a visit, I’ve been told it’s such a idyllic little tourist trap. With beautiful old stone houses like this how could it not be? It definitely needs some work (paint and the kitchen needs an overhaul) but it has so much character. It reminds me of the stone house in The Holiday actually.

Mary April 12, 2011 at 8:58 am

Did anyone notice the stained glass in the front door? It looks like a picture of the house.

ONEWEIRDWORD April 12, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I just love it – even the wine-coloured walls. The secret staircase, the beautiful yard, the baby grand piano – this place looks like it’s been loved!

Parisii April 13, 2011 at 6:00 am

Hello America! I’m a French girl newly visiting this site. I’d like to compliment its author for its historical/architectural interest and originality. Makes me travel oversea and discover places for me quite new and different, from grandest mansions to more modest homes, always full of charm and interest and all part of History. For me, 20th Century in Europe and -halas- in France has been horrid regarding destruction/alteration of ancient buildings; beginning of 21th makes me fear it becomes even worse… I’m glad to see people taking interest on old things in a sensible way. History may be history, but understanding the past and trying to respect its memory always help building a beautiful future. (Sorry for being so long, maybe pompuous and boring!)

Melissa Lewis - Midwest Magnolia April 13, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I would truly LIVE in it! That house is so stinkin’ cute:) I love it.

Loblolly July 21, 2011 at 11:40 am

WOW! I’ve searched all over for stone cottages. I was lucky enough to grow up in England & stone cottages are everywhere. I’ve long wondered why there aren’t more in New England. Either way, this one is perfect and like many others here, I’m just thrilled to see one exists! I’d take it as is – my only REAL issue is the spiral staircase – looks dangerous!

Jon Howard January 4, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I’m about to sell a 1735 old stone home in Morris county nj. Anyone interested in listing it or buying it outright?

Avi February 3, 2013 at 7:22 am

For that price I would have nothing to do with that house..charming as it is.

Jamie April 30, 2013 at 10:37 am

What a beautiful little home. The stone fireplace in the bedroom is incredible. You do find such great homes!!

Yvette July 25, 2013 at 6:02 pm

It’s a really lovely home. The house looks lovely inside but I would rip up those tiles in the kitchen and lay down timber floor boards. I would also rip out the kitchen and put in a Shaker style white kitchen with timber counter tops and big old fashioned gas stove. I think the colours on walls need to be changed and I would change these to a soft magnolia colour and just use accessories to bring colour into the rooms. By using soft neutral colours on the wall it would make the small rooms look bigger. It’s a shame you can’t see the bathroom but I can imagine a lovely big old claw foot tub to soak in. Beautiful !!!!!

Marcia Weber August 6, 2013 at 8:53 am

Having lived in a 1783 PA farmhouse my whole life, I must say it does require really deep pockets. Many contractors don’t know what or how to do renos in something this old. Although I still miss my house, after 75 years in my family, I could no longer afford the upkeep and had to sell. I know this house well and it is a real charmer.

hookedonhouses August 6, 2013 at 8:55 am

I’m sure that’s true. My husband and I really wanted to live in the historic section of our town when we first moved here but when we ran the numbers we just couldn’t afford it. Maybe someday!

{ 2 trackbacks }