For Sale: A Traditional White House on the Harbor in Maine

by hookedonhouses on April 3, 2011

Be still, my heart. I’m head over heels in love with this beautiful old house for sale on Camden’s inner harbor in Maine. It was built in 1900 on over 2 acres and has amazing views of the water.

There are 4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, and the asking price is $2.25 million. If I had $2.25 million lying around, this is what I’d spend it on. Let’s take a look!

The beamed ceilings and wood walls are gorgeous. This room reminds me of the old summer house featured in the Steve Carell movie Dan in Real Life (you can see it here).

Is that a dog under the piano or just a furry stool?

I’m loving this dining room, too, with the paneled walls and fireplace. It needs a new chandelier, but that’s an easy fix, right?

The kitchen still has its old stove, which is fun to see, and brick floors:

Could the butler’s pantry be any more charming than this? I love it all, from the beadboard to the old sink to the checkered floor:

The 4 bedrooms all have big windows and an elegant simplicity about them that I think is beautiful:

This one has French doors leading to a balcony:

There’s a sunroom, too, at the back of the house, facing the water:

I wish I could be sitting on one of these chairs right now…

Anyone else in love? For more photos and information about this house, check the listing.

Click Here to See More Sunday Open Houses I Featured!

Sandy April 3, 2011 at 8:20 am

If I had an extra couple million, I’d let ya borrow it, Julia! I posted this on Facebook already but I swear it looks like the house in the old Macaulay Culkin movie, “The Good Son”. I’ll never forget that movie because of how evil he was at such a young age… and the house was spectacular! I can’t find anything on it though, other than a picture from the movie poster.

Lauren April 4, 2011 at 11:39 am

It does look a lot like the house in “The Good Son”, but that movie was actually filmed at a home in Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA… we sail by it in the summer – it’s across the harbor from the house that they filmed “The Proposal” at a few summers ago!

Sandy April 5, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Thanks for letting me know! I’ve always wondered where that home was located. I can’t even begin to imagine how much it would be – considering on the poster/dvd cover it looks like a 3 story!!

Mel Mel April 3, 2011 at 8:29 am

Hey, maybe a bunch of us to go in on it together! Each of us gets one week a year? LoL! It is gorgeous – that’s what I think of when I think of a house by the water.

Sandy April 5, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I’m in!!!

petra voegtle April 3, 2011 at 8:31 am

Julia, you are completely right. Who could NOT be in love with a house like that.The only problem I would have – besides – the pocket money – is the climate. No way for me to live in Maine with those winters….

Terry April 3, 2011 at 8:32 am

Yes, as one of our summer houses but I don’t think my metabolism could manage it in the wintertime.

Lisa April 3, 2011 at 8:39 am

Ohhhh I’m in love too! The porch, the beautiful view. This is pretty close to my dream house. Yes please!

handbright April 3, 2011 at 8:45 am

There is a home on the grounds of Chatauqua Institution that is very much like this one. I’ve been in love with it for years- along with all the houses that face the lake. Thank you for this one its beautiful! Wanted to tell you how much I like your blog, and share this one with you. http://www.trulia.com/property/1087213532-105-S-Ann-St-Mobile-AL-36604

Susan F. April 3, 2011 at 9:45 am

The house you’ve posted is wonderful. And the price is “slightly” better than the house in Maine! Thanks for sharing.

Cory Spackman March 4, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I’ve had my eye on this Camden posting for quite a while. They’ve brought down the price to 1.95 million.

But, wow! That house in Mobile, AL is beautiful too. Wish I could have that on the water in Camden, ME. :)

melissa sloan April 3, 2011 at 8:46 am

Oh the beauty *sigh*

Janette@The2Seasons April 3, 2011 at 8:48 am

I’m crazy about the pantry.

Elisha April 3, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Me too! I want a pantry in my next house so bad I can hardly stand it, and they’re hard to come by. I wouldn’t even mind a small kitchen if I had a huge pantry!

Pat April 3, 2011 at 8:57 am

Perfection, with imperfection! What ever is imperfect only adds to the charm of this house, which really makes me want me to own it! LOL! Who says money can’t bring you happiness?
Can you tell I love this place? Right down to the furry piano bench and the old black phone in the kitchen.
Oh….it’s so much fun to look and dream!

Becky April 3, 2011 at 9:17 am

Could live on the porch alone!

Dawn April 3, 2011 at 9:25 am

I’m in love!!!!!!!!!!!!! Want …

Paula April 3, 2011 at 9:31 am

Wow-wie! LOVE it!!

Tell Mel-Mel that I’m in for a week’s share… preferrably mid-May!

Jan April 15, 2011 at 10:51 pm

May is black fly season in Maine and their bites itch like crazy. Try mid to late June instead. :)

Heather April 3, 2011 at 9:48 am

I will wish it for you!!
Its SO fantastic!
Maybe you can put it on a vision board! You never know………..

Luciane at Homebunch.com April 3, 2011 at 9:57 am

Oh, my! I’m totally in love too! This is the kind of house that I simply love. It’s full of life, character and charm. It’s not like many houses we see now. This is a very special one, Julia.

Wow.. this was my treat today!

I hope you’re enjoying your weekend.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Amanda @ Serenity Now April 3, 2011 at 10:01 am

That butler’s pantry is divine! Love the sink…I’d kill for a balcony like the one in the upstairs bedroom. Thanks for the tour, Julia! :)

Kristen @ More Than Mulberries April 3, 2011 at 10:15 am

Gorgeous! I could easily spend a summer there!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman April 3, 2011 at 10:20 am

OH ME ME ME! :-) I’ll take it! I live in New Hampshire; so we could use it as our “Summer cottage” *SNORT*!

Karena April 3, 2011 at 10:22 am

Julia I could live here in a heartbeat! I especially love the balcony and sunporch!
xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

LouAnn April 3, 2011 at 10:29 am

Perfection with the exception that I prefer my professional stove…thanks for sharing this great home!

Maya @ Completely Coastal April 3, 2011 at 10:38 am

It’s the perfect house for Maine! Warm wood…, and the porch is super!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top April 3, 2011 at 10:55 am

I completely in love with this house!!! It’s gorgeous! Exactly my type of house!

Caron White April 3, 2011 at 11:03 am

Beautiful! What a wonderful post to wake up to this morning – will be sharing on our Caron’s Beach House Facebook page too.

Ricki Jill Treleaven April 3, 2011 at 11:06 am

I would buy that house strictly for the butler’s pantry :D I love white houses!

Nita April 3, 2011 at 11:09 am

I don’t think you want to be sitting out on that deck right now because Maine just got 12 inches of snow the other day. :) I love the house. How much?

Nita April 3, 2011 at 11:10 am

Oooh, too much money.

Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip April 3, 2011 at 11:18 am

Oh! Be still my heart! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this house!!

Tricia Rose April 3, 2011 at 11:23 am

This is really special – I hope no-one ‘refurbishes’ it! Maybe we could all band together and save it?

cincinnatikate April 3, 2011 at 11:27 am

Seems like they could raise the price as we ALL are willing to murder to live there…its PERFECT!

Denise April 3, 2011 at 11:32 am

I’ve always wanted to go to Maine and this is the reason why! Beautiful coastal home’s on beautiful blue water.

Dody Marriott April 3, 2011 at 11:50 am

WOW! I love this house!!!

Kristin April 3, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Dear Julia, it’s absolutely gorgeous!!! I love the terrace and the french doors in the bedroom!

xx

ShabbyChick April 3, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Oh, I adore that butler’s pantry, they just don’t make them anymore! And that bedroom with the french doors….hmmmm….summer.

Kim April 3, 2011 at 2:08 pm

What a gorgeous and charming home. I would love to live in a place like that.

Thanks for sharing this with us Julia!

Kathy :) April 3, 2011 at 2:16 pm

YUP I am with you Julia…that is a beauty, sitting on that porch with a cocktail as the sun goes down HEAVEN !!!!

Hubby and I adore Maine….we have seen the Bush (as in the former Pres) summer home, it is just a beautiful area.

Happy Sunday to you,
Kathy :)

Bailey@peppermintbliss April 3, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Totally in love. A white house on the water is my dream in life.

Pam Beck April 3, 2011 at 4:12 pm

This is a dream home if there ever was one. The other house I would love to know more about is the house in the movie: The Stepmom I would love to know where that house was located.

hookedonhouses April 3, 2011 at 4:51 pm

You can see my post about “Stepmom” here: http://hookedonhouses.net/2011/01/02/for-sale-the-real-stepmom-and-bounty-hunter-house/

Love that house! The real homeowner wrote me and sent photos of it because it’s for sale. -Julia

Jenny April 3, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I would get into a bidding war to win this one, that is if I had the money. The view are amazing. Certainly can see why you love it.

Lynn from Pixie Dust Painting- Benjamin Moore Painting and Decorating Services April 3, 2011 at 4:38 pm

i am in love with it too, but i think I would do a kitchen reno- love the butler’s pantry…. i would also add abit of colour inside on the walls… just saying but other than that , love love love the house and how it is beside the water.

Sheila Krehbiel April 3, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Yep, that’s a charmer, alright! Besides the terrific views, I think what makes the house are the windows and all the light they let in. Lovely.

Shelia April 3, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Hi Julia! Oh, I’ve hopped on the band wagon with you – this home is so charming! It just looks and feels like ‘home’, doesn’t it? What a few too. I love Maine. We took a fall cruise back last October and had a couple of stops in Maine!
Be a sweetie and hope you’re having a nice weekend,
Shelia ;)

Jackie W. - Kanasas April 3, 2011 at 6:39 pm

You have to wear a wet suit all year round to swim in the Maine waters. It stays the same all year round. COLD !!!

Destiny April 3, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I’m from New England, so this house is pure perfection in my opinion. Everything about it is familiar and comforting to me — Oh dear, I want to go home!

Desiree @chic coastal living April 3, 2011 at 8:44 pm

This home is absolutely adorable. I love the porch out back on the water! Perfect place for a summer trip!

Papa April 3, 2011 at 8:47 pm

We have a lake in the back yard and some chairs. Come on over and relax!

E. George April 4, 2011 at 7:09 am

Let me see where did I put my magic wand so I could grant your wish…. Yes I can see me sitting out there with a nice cup of tea. Hi Julia I did need a pick me up and here you are as always giving us something beautiful to look at and maybe dream a little….. Thank you and I hope you have a wonderful week. Regards Esther from Sydney getting cooler. PS don’t work too hard.

Beverly April 4, 2011 at 9:11 am

Wow! Absolutely beautiful. It’s got that old house charm and beautiful views. Not to mention a butler’s pantry and a balcony!

Mike April 4, 2011 at 11:06 am

We’ll invite you to visit after Jamie and I buy it….after we win the Powerball. Or the MegaMillions. :-)

Magali April 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Definitely in love! That brick floor and the old stove in the kitchen just stole my heart.

Renee April 4, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I love old houses and this one is amazing! The porch is fantastic!

Susan S April 4, 2011 at 4:07 pm

It’s a good thing neither you nor I have 2.25 million or we would be fighting over this house!

Pam Beck April 4, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Thank you Julia for posting the house in Stepmom. It is just beautiful. I have always loved it and wondered where it was located. I think in the movie there were alot of fall scenes on the outside of the home and it was just a stunning view. I went to college up in that area on the Hudson River and the scenery was breathtaking especially in the fall. Thanks again.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... April 4, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Wow. Can I move in?

Jodi from New Jersey April 5, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Totally in love. Wow! Thank you for the post… Jodi

Jessica April 5, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Love it!

Jessica April 5, 2011 at 8:27 pm

One of the most charming and un-overly designed homes I’ve seen in a while…love it! I’m in…
xo J~

marta April 5, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I love this house – the look, everything! Thank you! Marta

Claudia Gelli Larsson April 9, 2011 at 3:53 am

Playing PowerBall this week end…. Gorgeous house!

kristina April 9, 2011 at 9:51 am

I. Want. It.

Alejandra August 9, 2011 at 9:37 am

Could this house be any more gorgeous? I could live in the pantry alone!

Haydee November 4, 2012 at 8:29 am

My dream house. I wouldn’t change a thing. EVER. Thanks for posting…

xhriztion August 1, 2013 at 5:51 pm

The house used in “The Good Son” is located in Manchester By The sea, Mass.
They did add on a small addition on the left side for the movie, but removed it aftermaking the filming. But the house is real.

{ 1 trackback }