A “Something’s Gotta Give” House on Martha’s Vineyard

by hookedonhouses on February 15, 2011

Martha's Vineyard house-Arden Stephenson

When I saw this beautiful, beachy Martha’s Vineyard house featured on House of Turquoise, I immediately thought of the one from Something’s Gotta Give. So I had to laugh when I got to the end of her post and she asked if it reminded anyone else of the SGG beach house. Apparently I wasn’t the only one!

Let’s compare them, shall we?

The Martha’s Vineyard Living Room:

Martha's Vineyard house fam rm 2

Martha's Vineyard house fam rm

And the Something’s Gotta Give Living Room:

living-room-AD

Something's Gotta Give living room

They’re obviously not identical–it’s not like the Martha’s Vineyard room is a copy of the movie set–but they share a similar kind of style. Even the front doors look related (love them!).

The Martha’s Vineyard Kitchen:

Martha's Vineyard house kitchen

And the one from the movie:

kitchen-AD

Again, not a copycat version, but you can definitely see the influence in the cabinetry, the subway tile, the light fixtures, and even the drawer pulls. Which version do you prefer?

It’s fun to see how a talented designer can take a look from a movie set and interpret it for his or her clients’ needs. In this case, the designer is Arden Stephenson, and you can see the rest of the photos from the house in Stephenson’s portfolio. (Thanks to Erin of House of Turquoise for bringing it to my attention!)

2/11 UPDATE: I just heard from the designer, who says, “I, too, see the similarities. The funny thing is that this house was 4.5 years in the making, beginning in 2002 – before the movie came out! (For the record, I have never even seen the movie – nor the images of the set design)! It was not until people began comparing my work to the movie that I ever even looked it up!” Isn’t that interesting? Thanks, Arden!

10/12 UPDATE: I’ve been informed that the architect was Patrick Ahearn. “The client did hire Arden as the Interior Designer, but all the finishes, plans, etc. were executed by Patrick Ahearn.” You can see more of the house on his website. (Thanks, Jessica!)

Love the Something’s Gotta Give house? You can see my post about it with more house photos here. Or visit TV/Movie Houses to see them all!

The Little Red Shop February 15, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Mmmmm!!!

: )

Julie M.

Heather@The Black's Best February 15, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I love both of these rooms and end using them for more inspiration file. White kitchens are my favorite!

Erin February 15, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Glad I’m not the only one who noticed the influence! Both such stunning homes! I think I prefer the kitchen in the Martha’s Vineyard home. But I LOVE that pieced-together striped rug in the SGG home. Either would be a dream to live in though!

Desiree Leone February 15, 2011 at 10:52 pm

You know I love SGG!! Love this house and everything in it!

Loribeth February 15, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I love all of the rooms, but I think I kind of like the Martha’s Vineyard’s rooms a little better than the rooms from the movie. Sigh….

Karena February 15, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Julia I love Arden’s work!! Very nice! Thanks to Erin for featuring it and letting you know!!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Kim February 15, 2011 at 11:28 pm

These two houses really are similar to each other. I like this house better than the one from the movie though. It’s so gorgeous and I can totally see myself living in it.

Dawn February 15, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I love the movie and the movie house and also the Martha Vineyard version. I particularly love the room with the striped rug in the movie home.

I could live happily-ever-after in either home.

Ivy February 15, 2011 at 11:44 pm

I wouldn’t say no to either house if someone wanted to give me one of those houses. :) From the pictures, I love the open airy feel of the colors, ceilings and lighting. However, the SGG has a little more warmth, that I find drawn to (those little red accents, warmer lighting, etc)

Julie February 16, 2011 at 12:39 am

LOVED this!

quintessence February 16, 2011 at 12:52 am

I had the exact same reaction – and then laughed when I reached the end of the post. A beautiful house indeed – will have to check her portfolio to see the rest of her work!

Jocelyn Stott February 16, 2011 at 1:19 am

Wow – they are both beautiful! I don’t think I would even know how to pick!

Sheshi February 16, 2011 at 5:30 am

Oh my god!! I am absolutely drooling over this house!

Maaike Quinn @ Life with FlyLady February 16, 2011 at 5:53 am

What a beautiful kitchens! I like them both, but the movie one best. It’s a little cozier I guess. Thanks for posting!

Claudia February 16, 2011 at 7:19 am

Hello,

Love it, Love it!! Love both homes.. so pretty. Thank you for sharing. SGG kitchen gave us the inspiration for our kitchen makeover.
Have a good week.
Claudia

Lisa T. February 16, 2011 at 7:44 am

I love the Martha’s Vineyard home a bit more, just because its a real place. The warmth mentioned in the other posts is probably due to expert movie lighting. The colors used are so similar.

Luciane at Homebunch.com February 16, 2011 at 7:47 am

Gorgeous in every single detail, and this kind of house is very common there, so it doesn’t surprise me , but I’m in love with the interiors.

Have a BLESSED Day, Julia! :-)

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Post of the Day: Modern Rustic Barn. http://www.HomeBunch.com

Sheila Krehbiel February 16, 2011 at 7:47 am

Bookmarked!!!! Gorgeous, the both of them.

Kimberlee J. February 16, 2011 at 7:52 am

You just showed my favorite movie house ever…which I’ve mentioned before. Which I looked up on your blog yesterday (for the 400th time), which I told myself I can never have and that NO one really lives like that. “It’s just a movie.” I told myself. And now this! THIS! I’m going into the “ugly cry” thanks to you. I’m now headed for an overdose of Poptarts this morning in my quite ugly kitchen and home that will never be a beach house in Kansas. Sigh. Double Sigh.

Monica February 16, 2011 at 11:34 am

Kimberlee, I feel your pain! I can’t even count the number of times I’ve watched that movie…and mostly its just to drool over the house. I’ve accepted the fact that while I may never have a house in the Hamptons, Martha’s Vineyard, or even the North Carolina coast, I CAN have an interior reminiscent of these homes. And so, I’ve been working on eliminating my vibrant-colored interiors and slowly, but surely creating the soft, dreamy, cozy, beachy interiors as seen here. It may take the rest of my life, but at least I’ve started…my beach house in western North Carolina!

Elisha February 18, 2011 at 12:32 am

Agreed, agreed, agreed!!! I’ve watched the movie, made copies of the set photos in a folder on my computer and picture renovating every house I see “into” this house. And I live in “oh so land locked” MN, far away from the beautiful ocean…BUT we are looking to purchase a house right now that is four blocks from a very large city lake which I’m dreaming about turning into my very own “Urban Beach House”. It doesn’t matter where you live….we can ALL make this house happen!! ;-)

Amanda @ Serenity Now February 16, 2011 at 7:55 am

I prefer the kitchen from Martha’s Vineyard, but the living room from SGTG. Oh, how I would love to own one of those homes!!! :)

Elvira February 16, 2011 at 8:23 am

Both of the houses are beautiful and make me wonder whether the Martha’s Vineyard one was influenced by the movie. I do prefer the SGG house exterior, because it has less details but like the MV’s kitchen better. But nothing beats the master bedroom with it’s study area in SGG, ah but to have a space like that!

Janell Beals February 16, 2011 at 9:47 am

An incredibly beautiful home in a stunning location! Perfection…Janell

Ruth February 16, 2011 at 9:50 am

Oh my! I would love either home. I have to admit to watching SGG for the sole purpose of seeing the house again and listening to the soundtrack. It’s my relax, kick back, feel good movie. Just love, love, love it!!

Pat February 16, 2011 at 9:53 am

Bwaaa, I’m so jealous…people really live like this, and I’m not one of them!
OK, I’m over it. Sorry for the outburst.
I think I like the MV house a little more, I like the lighter kitchen counters; that was in the MV house, right? But I like like the cream dishes in the dining room, or do I? I can’t decide.
Actually I would live in either one, even if one was just a movie set!

ShabbyChick February 16, 2011 at 11:05 am

SWOON. Love this style…I’m all about white cabinets, subway tile backsplashes, and what about that blue granite in the MV kitchen! I really prefer the plaid rug in the MV house over the striped one in SGG…I am a symmetry gal. Love the color schemes in both houses. Beachy and cozy!

Ami Ponzo February 16, 2011 at 11:19 am

I also put these in my inspiration file. Gotta admit, I am a complete sucker for any home that is “Something’s Gotta Give-ish”. Thanks for the post. You can always be counted on to bring us such things. (I found your blog doing a search for a movie house-and that made me discover blogs altogether. Big thank you!)

Heather February 16, 2011 at 11:20 am

I totally agree with The Little Red Shop’s comment.
Yum.
I could take a nap on those kitchen counters!

FairfieldHouse February 16, 2011 at 11:37 am

Love the Martha‚Äôs Vineyard home — beautiful architecture, elegant decor and location, location, location!

Lisa February 16, 2011 at 12:33 pm

The first thing that popped into my head when I saw both kitchens was Ina Garten’s kitchen (who I believe lives on Martha’s Vineyard)

I just did a search on your site and found this: http://hookedonhouses.net/2009/12/29/the-barefoot-contessa-at-home-in-manhattan/

Her kitchen doesn’t exactly match but there was a mention of Something’s Gotta Give in that post. Small world ;-)

Bre February 16, 2011 at 1:03 pm

This house is gorgeous! I love the house in Something’s Gotta Give (thank you again for such a lovely and comprehensive post on it!) and this house has a kitchen and living room that is equally as lovely. I love the clean colors and the openness of the layout.

Jared February 16, 2011 at 1:38 pm

And I have a new favorite house….

Cori @WhereYouHangYourHeart.com February 16, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Now THAT is a beach house!!

melissa February 16, 2011 at 5:55 pm

*sigh* just *sigh*

Maria February 17, 2011 at 1:04 am

Swoon….

Love both, but the MV one is real. I would soften the rest of the rooms/make not so matchy-matchy but the kitchen/living rm – wow! So much alike. Can’t miss that real beach light in the MV house compared to the studio lighting though. Plus, I’m all about the round table in the SGG dining room – love a round dining table.

It’s like which came first — the chicken or the egg. :-)

Kathy :) February 17, 2011 at 2:57 am

Hi Julia….MV one of my fave places on earth….and that home OH MY !!! I think I like the MV best……love the striped rug too.

I wanted to pop in and say hello….life has been a bit hectic…..my MIL passed away and my Mum is living with us after a bad bout with shingles….she is slowly getting better thank God….

I hope all is well with you and yours….thank you for this post it made me smile.

All the best,
xo Kathy :)

E. George February 17, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I’ll take both thanks…if only Hi Julia this is great thank you for sharing but I have to say the artwork in the SGG house is very uplifting it just ads colour to your day the other house is beautiful but a bit dull. Regards Esther from Sydney having a dull past few days (cloudy with no rain).

Juju at Tales of Whimsy February 18, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I love everything about this house! The simple classic clean decor, the art, the furniture, everything!

Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip February 18, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this house!!!!

marie February 18, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Anyone have an idea of what the countertop surface is in the Turquoise house? Grayed-out soapstone? Marble? Something synthetic like Silestone? Love it.

I would have liked to see a pop of a coordinating color in the Turquoise house – like coral.

Karen B February 20, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I see the resemblance, and I’ve always loved the SGG house. But, I love the countertop of the MV house and all the beautiful woodwork! Fabulous!

Kristi April 3, 2011 at 11:13 pm

There is no way the designer wasn’t influenced by the SGG house! They are way too similar for there not to be some major inspiration going on.

Theo July 7, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I looked all over for the Rockaway Beach painting and others from this house and finally found someone who would do them. Canvas replicas. http://www.canvasreplicas.com If you are looking for the art from the beach house they will do it. Great beach house, great movie!

Lisa Smith May 11, 2013 at 9:21 am

Hi Julia,
I saw the thumbnail of this one and thought it was our house! I think this is one of the prettiest kitchens I have ever seen…and that view through the windows! Oh my!!!
Hope you are having a good Spring…

hookedonhouses May 11, 2013 at 9:56 am

It does look a lot like your house, Lisa! So pretty. :)