A Neoclassical-Revival in San Fran With $32-Million Views

2701 Broadway Street exteriorWhen a reader sent me the link to this listing in San Francisco, the exterior of the huge, 4-story Neoclassical-Revival home didn’t excite me much at first. It looks more like a hotel than a house and boasts a whopping 16,000 square feet, which seems a little overwhelming to me–as does the $32 million price tag.

But then I saw the gorgeous interior photos and was hooked. I must have spent half an hour going over and over them all today, so I had to share a few with you.

foyer

The house was built in 1910 for a lumber magnate and was later renovated and restored with amazing attention to detail in the late 1990s.

dining room

Designer Stephen Shubel is responsible for the elegant decor.

Broadway Street-kitchen

I really love the less formal spaces in the home, like this breakfast nook:

kitchen table and booth

And the “Art Room:”

art room

I could definitely handle a bathroom like this:

bathroom

But my favorite thing has to be the views from the upper floors and–be still, my heart–the rooftop terrace (the listing says there are unobstructed views from the Golden Gate Bridge to the Bay Bridge and city skyline):

rooftop terrace

Want to go in on it with me? I figure at least 4 families could live here together comfortably, if we each take one floor! Check out the listing and SocketSite for all the photos and information.

Software entrepreneur Larry Dean and his wife Lynda built their dream house in the early '90s in Georgia. They divorced soon after and their sprawling,…
Empty, falling-down houses have always kind of fascinated me. I spent my childhood summers in rural Southern Illinois where they were fairly common. My grandparents…

Comments

Love love love the round island in the kitchen and the lighting! Very chic for this house. And like you, my favorite part would have to be the upstairs deck! Where can I find more pictures of this house??
    .-= Samantha´s last blog ..Waiting… =-.

• hookedonhouses says

Cats are welcome, although pets could get lost in a place this big…

2. Brigid says

Oh wow, what a dream! Just beautiful….makes me wonder now why I didn’t listen to my instincts and paint with white….it’s gorgeous!! ( I am in, with the four families) :)

Whew..I could barely drag myself away from all those wonderful pictures! I think this may be the most perfect house I’ve ever seen. I LOVE IT!! Talk about your view!
    Kudos to a fantastic designer. That’s a lot of sq footage to turn into a warm, yet elegant home, and it was accomplished so beautifully.
    Excuse me, I’m now going back to spend another hour looking at the photos…and daydreaming!
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..More then a cake mix =-.

Amazing! I love the color palette. Beautiful!

The price tag is insane, it IS an awesome home, but $32M is just some weird fantasy price tag. No way it will sell for that.

A few things I found odd/funny/interesting; the very unpretentious shoe inventory, the red “etsy” print, and the four bed bunkroom (in a seven bedroom home) things that you wouldn’t associate with a $32 M dollar home.
    .-= Janet´s last blog ..DIY Beaded Chandelier =-.

5. Melenie says

*Drooling.*

I have an unnatural obsession with San Francisco. It just went into over-drive. I would LOVE those views! And, the kids’ bedrooms are so darn cute!

Stephen Shubel is such a wonderful designer – although I prefer his own house!

I’m wondering if this belongs to Danielle Steele…

7. karin/lifeinsmallchunks@blogspot.com says

Let’s see…16,000 square feet on four floors? So each floor would be about 4,000 square feet, right? Yeah, I think four families, easy! do you think they’d come down just a little on that price? Like maybe down to about $899,000? :>) I’ll take the top floor, since the interior space is a lot smaller and I don’t have kids at home now!

8. Gerry says

Love, love, love it! I agree with Brigid, the white is fabulous. Not cold and sterile feeling at all. If my Mega Millions ticket is a winner, I’m in.

My husband and I are moving to San Fran at the end of this year. This sure beats the 1 bedroom apartments I have been looking at on Craigs List. Now, where can I find an extrea 32 million lying around?!? Better start playing the lotto. Gorgeous interiors. I especially love all of the trim and attention to detail on the walls. I hope you don’t mind if I link this to my site? Too pretty not to share 😉
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Theres an island way out in the sea =-.

10. Cheryl says

It’s beautiful. Surprisingly “homey” despite all the square footage. A best seller could be written on that terrace. I would love to move in – maybe as a winter residence but I’m also dreaming of a lake I found for sale in Bracebridge, Ontario (Bonnie Lake). It’s a steal at $12 million. Perhaps we could all split on it for our summer homes? So far I have secured $200 towards the purchase.

Wow… amazing, but $32 million?? I bet the property tax on that place, costs as much as my house! There was a house for sale down not too far from here and it had a $29 million price tag and property taxes of $168k a year!! I’m not in the know regarding whether that is high or not, but it certainly made my jaw drop!
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..Appreciating what is on your doorstep =-.

• hookedonhouses says

Yeah, it’s hard to imagine paying that much in property taxes alone. I think it’s one of those “If you have to worry about coming up with $200K a year, than this house is not for you” kind of things. It’s hard to imagine! -Julia

12. js says

I’m pretty sure we walked by this house when we visited San Fran. There are a lot of houses there with views like this – I figured the prices would be huge! I would love to go through each one of them.

• hookedonhouses says

Yeah, I bet they shooed the kids out of the booths so they could take that pic. Ha. -Julia

13. Maureen says

It has quite the price tag on it.
    But wow what a place or should I say palace.

14. Cherie Thomas-Wood says

WoW this would be ideal for a Bed & Breakfast especially where it’s located in San Francisco!

Wow! I love the island in the kitchen…and the white bathroom is beautiful too. I’ve got to get to San Francisco sometime! Looks like some interesting architecture there.

This house is completely amazing. It doesn’t seem to be pretentious which is what I thought it would be from the looks of the outside. Of course, it also makes me realize that the kitchen I’m dreaming of comes with a ridiculously high price tag.
    .-= Amy Button´s last blog ..Today =-.

17. HollyM says

Sure, I’ll go in with you – – but who gets the top floors and the terrace? DIBS!!

18. HollyM says

On second thought, I just want the master suite. Imagine yourself in front of that fireplace, on that chaise, looking at that view. Died. Gone to Heaven.

I’d be happy just to afford an apartment is San Francisco, but this place is incredible! I’m especially loving the dining room…those citrus-colored chairs are too cool!

What a spectacular home. Who would guess it was so comfortable and homey from the looks of the outside.

I want to live in the Au-pair suite. I’d be happy there ;o)
    .-= Miz Booshay´s last blog .. =-.

Lovely! I would go in on it with you, unfortunately I could never afford an entire floor. Maybe just a room (one of the small rooms)?
    .-= Pamela @ Atmosphere ID´s last blog ..MIA =-.

I looked at all the pictures and my mouth is still hanging open. An indoor basketball court! Those views! Yowza, I’d settle for the au-pair suite!

You know as much as I love looking at houses I usually can find one reason why ‘that’ house wouldn’t work for me. It’s my coping skill for staying in my 2200 sq. ft Victorian home from 1890 that has afforded us a cheap mortgage in todays economy. But, this house is the first house I’ve seen that I can totally picture myself living in. I love that staircase. I love the dining room. I even would take it as is with the decor. I love that island. I love that idea of oval. I have to keep that in mind for my kitchen remodel.

I left my heart in San Francisco! That house is gorgeous! It definitely looks like a stately hotel from the curb, but the interior is fantastic. I love the kitchen (I’m a sucker for a functional, yet beautiful, island) the bathroom is every girl’s dream and the rooftop terrace? Shut. the. front. door. It’s beautiful! Outdoor living space with those views?! If I ever win Powerball I’ll see what I can do! Great post!
    .-= Bre´s last blog ..Oil Slick =-.

25. Susan S says

My mouth is dry from saying, ahh so many times! Stephen Shubel took a classical, formal house and made it normal! It is one of the most comfiest homes I’ve ever seen! Hats off to you, Julia for your cheery blog and to Shubel for his cheery design and, of course, to the owners for their design sensibilities.

26. Kate says

I’m in love! Please more posts like this Julia for our drooling pleasure!!!!
    weekly post on houses like this and I would DIE! xx

27. Nita says

I think that’s the most beautiful bathroom I have ever seen! Why would you sell? Oh well, I would too, and take the money and build a house for a fraction of that.

28. Dawn says

Oh, WOW!!!!! That is one gorgeous home!

I’m inspired to go through my pocket change and see what I can come up with. Something tells me that I’ll fall a little short …

So, how would the co-ownership work? Would there be a weekly chore rota, starting with hydrangea pruning detail in the kitchen?

(Best listing photos I’ve ever seen btw – I guess $32m would bring even Ansel Adams back from the dead?)
    .-= Lauren´s last blog ..12 tips for total victory =-.

30. sarah says

Oh.my.goodness. Thank you for showing me to my dream home! I seriously have never seen a more beautiful interior. This is the exact kind of decor that I love… traditional but modern too. Ahhh it makes my heart sing! Now that price tag…? That just makes me cry! =)

Sure, I’ll go in on it with you! Let’s see, if we can find two more people to go in on it, that will be the four families—32 million dollars divided by 8 equals a very affordable 8 million dollars per family! What a steal!

Which room to compliment first???
    Actually, I have a thing for beautiful stair cases-and this one is lovely!
    I also like the kitchen island top!
    Love the fun decor of some rooms-since my house burned, I decided life is too short for the house to be too serious. I am getting ready to paint my downstairs bathroom a light yellow, and put up my very colorful parrots with surfboards shower curtain(the top says BOARD MEETING).
    I’m afraid of heights, but the rooftop terrace is really great!
    .-= Josanne´s last blog ..Twelve Year Olds Carrying Machine Guns =-.

Oops! Julia, I meant to mention—with the high amount of views you receive each month, it wouldn’t surprise me if somehow you could actually have a partnership with some realtors, and have the dream career of travelling around showing houses from your firsthand position.
    And actually, I’m being serious! 800,000 views a month is something a realtor would take into great consideration, I’m sure!
    .-= Josanne´s last blog ..Twelve Year Olds Carrying Machine Guns =-.

The whole house is a sort of understated elegance. Love to see a good dose of modern with some warmth and personality. Shots,Posting,Blog are Great!Thanks For taking us with you.

34. E. George says

So when are we moving in? Hi Julia all I could say was WOW to all the pictures and go back and look again. Anyone got a spare few million? It seems like we are all left with one word to describe how we feel … Yep you said it WOW. Love the bathroom and kitchen they have character and the rooftop is wonderful. Thanks Julia this was a great blog. Regards Esther from Sydney…..

35. Janet says

Wow….opulent yet comfy. Have to give kudos to the designer and family that live there.
    One think I noticed was well odd. All the bedrooms 1-4 have jack/jill bathrooms and one even has a jack/jill closet. Does anyone else think that is odd in a home of this size and cost?

I recognize this house, walked by it many times while living in the city! The views from this location are truly some of the best in the world! Janell
    .-= Janell Beals´s last blog ..WellI Had Fun! =-.

37. Lisa T. says

Such a gorgeous home. I love all the white and citrus colors. I think my favorite parts (can’t pick just one): is the his and her office spaces and the master bedroom. And those views are just “feed the soul” beautiful.

38. Niki Baby says

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. The staircase. The kitchen. The bathroom, claw foot tub and modern sink……and the views! Simply gorgeous. Just gorgeous. But can you imagine the pain of keeping it clean?

• hookedonhouses says

I have a feeling whoever lives here is not scrubbing their own toilets, though… -Julia :-)

I was so surprised with how warm and inviting it is inside! I expected it to cold and sterile given the exterior. If only I had $32 million…lol
    .-= Jules´s last blog ..Rude Awakening =-.

40. jimmygfitz says

Seek first the kingdom of God and your mansion in heaven will far exceed this place.
    Spend the 32 mil feeding starving nations. God bless in Jesus name.