Real Estate Sampler: U.K. Edition

by hookedonhouses on May 12, 2010

Here’s a real estate sampler of houses for sale in the U.K. Click the links below each house to see the interior photos, and then let us know which one is your favorite!

Rhandirmwyn-Holiday houseHouse #1: This cottage in the Upper Towy Valley of Wales reminds me of the one from “The Holiday” (the exterior, anyway–see pics of its movie twin here.) It’s a “traditional farm-style cottage with 3 bedrooms in the superb mountain countryside.” Asking £295,000 (about $384,000). Photos & info: Prime Location.

Tower Road houseHouse #2: This 4-bedroom house is in the large coastal town of Poole on the south coast of England, near “an excellent promenade and safe sandy bathing beaches.” It has been updated and “sympathetically modernised” by the current owners. Asking £855,000 (about $1.1 million). Photos & info: Poole Property Gazette.

Kingston Hill-London houseHouse #3: This is an award-winning Huf Haus on a private, gated lot in Kingston (SW London). It’s a “green” house with 6 bedrooms on 3 floors and boasts a “lovely summerhouse and sauna.” Asking £3.5 million (about $4.5 million). Photos & info: Foxtons.

Arndilly House-ScotlandHouse #4: Arndilly House is a “magnificent grade-A listed mansion with sweeping lawns overlooking the River Spey” in Edinburgh (Scotland). Property includes a gardener’s cottage. Asking:£1,750,000 (about $2.65 million). Photos & info: s1 Homes.

Saddlewood ManorHouse #5: Saddlewood Manor is a 6-bedroom house in Gloucestershire built of Cotswold stone. It dates from the late 17th Century and features stone mullion windows under a Cotswold stone tile roof. Many original features remain, including carved stone fireplaces and exposed beams. Asking: £5.25 million (about $6.83 million). Photos & info: Savills.

Which of these houses would you most want to live in? Vote below!

~

If you missed it: Real Estate Sampler, U.S. edition.

Kara May 12, 2010 at 7:29 am

Definately House #5: Saddlewood Manor ~ exactly what you think of for an English Cottage

Stacy@RedDoorHome May 12, 2010 at 7:33 am

Looks like I am with the majority so far – #5 for me!
.-= Stacy@RedDoorHome´s last blog ..Bedroom Makeover Part 3 – Dog Silhouettes =-.

LeAnn May 12, 2010 at 7:47 am

Well I voted for #2 but I think #1 is a contender too!
.-= LeAnn´s last blog ..Color and more color! =-.

Carmen May 12, 2010 at 7:54 am

I knew I would pick Saddlewood Manor before I even looked at the interior photos. Lovely.
.-= Carmen´s last blog ..Ice Cream Shoppe Party =-.

Barbara May 12, 2010 at 7:56 am

I thought Saddlewood Manor would be the winner for me, but it’s too big. I’m definitely the English cottage-style person, and just loved that blue wood burning stove in the fireplace!

Lisa May 12, 2010 at 8:14 am

I did not choose one simply because I would happily take any of them.

Stephanie May 12, 2010 at 8:16 am

Cottage in Wales, so romantic and pretty!
.-= Stephanie´s last blog ..And they called it mellow YELLOW You Capture Theme =-.

Kat in Texas May 12, 2010 at 8:16 am

I’ll take #4 Arndilly House in Scotland. Would live there in a minute. Sadly, I don’t happen to have a cool $2.65 million in my checking account. ;-)

Pat May 12, 2010 at 8:18 am

Love, love, love Saddlewood Manor. Even if were small, the views out the windows have to bring peace to a persons soul!
I was a bit surprised at the interior…much warmer then I imagined.
I loved this look into the UK…thanks!
.-= Pat´s last blog ..Soggy Daydreams =-.

Jane May 12, 2010 at 8:43 am

Definitely #1. I would love to make a lovely nest there. It could easily be made to look like that cottage in The Holiday. One of my favorite movie houses. Just the right size for me too.

Jane

Nichole May 12, 2010 at 9:07 am

I had a feeling before I looked at the interiors that Saddlewood would win as long as it wasn’t hideous. And it’s so far from hideous! Beautiful! That house in Poole is nice, but over 1 million with a tiny kitchen and no view? Thanks for posting these, it’s fun to see what you can get in other countries. I know personally, all I could afford would probably be Wales. :)
.-= Nichole´s last blog ..Chairs, Chairs, And More Chairs =-.

Lili May 12, 2010 at 9:12 am

I LOVE the second one… I love the beautiful arches and the character of it. I guess that I am just not that into the rustic, or mansion styles that are so prominent in England. I did like the first house, but the roof was freaking me out a bit. I liked the kitchen in it, though.

hip hip gin gin May 12, 2010 at 9:34 am

That little cottage tugs on my heart because I loooooooove the little place in The Holiday! But Saddlewood is gorgeous and has an indoor pool. And I could never say no to an indoor pool so Saddlewood it is! If I lived there my morning routine would involve swimming in the pool, tea, swimming in the pool, breakfast, swimming in the pool. I might even be a morning person if I got to do that.

Amanda @ Serenity Now May 12, 2010 at 9:49 am

#2 was so sweet, but that awesome Kitchen and pool in #5 did it for me. ;)

Janell Beals May 12, 2010 at 9:50 am

#5 is a keeper in my book!! Janell
.-= Janell Beals´s last blog ..Home Office Redesign – My Husband Has An Opinion?! =-.

Sheryl May 12, 2010 at 10:16 am

I loved the Huf Haus, it was so bright and open, with all the windows and skylights. I would add more color to it, right now it looks a bit sterile. I also really liked Saddlewood Manor, but when looking at the floor plan, I didn’t like how all of the rooms were closed off. So ultimately I would choose Huf Haus.

Janet May 12, 2010 at 10:24 am

Absolutely loved Saddlewood, the perfect English country manor.
And not bad that it’s in the same neighborhood as the Prince of Wales.
Wonder if I could drop in to borrow some sugar or honey?

Vanessa May 12, 2010 at 11:00 am

Saddlewood Manor. The grounds are beautiful and love the indoor pool.

FROM THE RIGHT BANK May 12, 2010 at 11:41 am

I would love a little cottage in the English countryside! I wouldn’t turn down that Scottish mansion though if it were given to me(!)
.-= FROM THE RIGHT BANK´s last blog ..Smitten With Gypsy Caravans =-.

SusanI May 12, 2010 at 11:42 am

#4 – Edinburgh is perfect for me. One of my “hobbies” is scoping out real estate in the UK, so I wasn’t surprised by the prices, but wonder how many other people are? I’ve never been able to find an equitable trade for my house (sq. feet/amenitites). If I ever REALLY could move, it would have to be a cottage!

Beck May 12, 2010 at 12:29 pm

It is just so British w/o being pretentious….I love it!

Laura May 12, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I voted for the Glouchestershire house only because the Welsh language is completely unpronouncable. Otherwise, I would love to live where my ancestors came from.

Rachel May 12, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I’m torn between 4 and 5. I would love to live in Scotland but I would have to do some redecorating!
.-= Rachel´s last blog ..Bonfire =-.

Nita May 12, 2010 at 1:39 pm

For sure the last one. I couldn’t spell my address on the first one!

T. May 12, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Number one is the only one I could afford. Number 3 is too modern. If I’m going to move to the UK, I want my home to look quintessentially British! The last one is perfect.

Thanks, that was fun!

Julie May 12, 2010 at 3:57 pm

This is so funny, I just watched “The Holiday” on TV over the weekend, just because of your previous post about the houses. Thanks for inspiring me to actually sit down and watch a movie (something I never seem to make time for these days). Since I discovered your blog I’ve watched Sleepless in Seattle, Father of the Bride II, Something’s Gotta Give, and a few more. Having read your insights and info about the houses makes it so much more fun. Thanks for the inspiration!

Terri May 12, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I would be THRILLED with the Gardeners Cottage at the Arndilly house.

Jenny May 12, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I love that kitchen in #5!
.-= Jenny´s last blog ..Our Weekend Impulse Buy =-.

Kim May 12, 2010 at 5:14 pm

It was a tough choice between Saddlewood Manor and Arndilly House, but I went with the Arndilly House. I loved the property and the inside was beautiful. The Saddlewood floorplan was too chopped up for me and I am not a big fan of those floorplans. I lived in a house that had a chopped up floorplan and we never had one particular room to gather in and that made it hard, to have guests over. Plus the Arndilly house has lots of space to stretch out in and I need space.

What’s your favorite house Julia?

Willow Decor May 12, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Of course #5 was my favorite – just a really awesome home. I wouldlove to tour it someday.
xx-Gina

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish May 12, 2010 at 5:54 pm

The Manor! That kitchen is gorgeous!!
.-= Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish´s last blog ..Mason Jar Pottery Barn Knockoff =-.

Susan S May 12, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Wow! What a bidding war would be going on if all of us who voted for Saddlewood Manor could buy it! I shall dream of myself tonight at Saddlewood Manor. You should hear me as I’m typing this: I’m speaking with an English accent! Too funny! Love seeing foreign real estate and prices.

Kate (Little Beach Bum) May 12, 2010 at 8:59 pm

I love the first one! Reminds me of Beatrix Potter’s house…Hill Top, I think it’s called. I imagine just wandering down the lane to the vicarage……….or something. I don’t know. Love it though!
.-= Kate (Little Beach Bum)´s last blog ..The Everglades, Part IV: Kayaking (And Crocodiles…) =-.

Billy May 13, 2010 at 12:08 am

Any way to have 1 or 2 on 3′s lot?
#1 Wales, exactly 28 trees and they use more consonant than Bjork.
#2 Isn’t there a snarky comment about Poole in one of Jane Austins books?
#3 How can a 388sqm house be efficient for any family other than Kate or Octomom?
#4 Nice place, and I have the legs to pull off a kilt, but it is still in Scotland, and I have trouble understanding a North London accent.
#5 I just get a “Baby Boom” vibe form this house. How do I know that the lead flashing was replaced during Vicki’s reign and not Goe III?

Thanks for letting me pick on others property, If I heard “Why not stainless?” one more time today…

E. George May 13, 2010 at 12:56 am

Hi Julia I picked No.5 loved everything about it. Talking of Beatrix Potter if you get a chance to see Miss Potter I’m sure you would love the homes cottages and gardens in this beautiful movie. I hope if you haven’t you’ll give it a try. Regards Esther from cool…er…. Sydney. PS great blog. thank you….

rosie May 13, 2010 at 5:57 am

Well, I am glad to see I am in the (slight) minority. That way, there won’t be too many other offers on my new home (#2). I went with my first instinct and picked that one, though the others all have their charms and I can see why so many people picked #5-that kitchen is amazing.
.-= rosie ´s last blog ..ahhh… progress =-.

Jennifer May 13, 2010 at 7:05 am

for those prices I think I’ll stay right here!!

Melissa May 13, 2010 at 7:05 am

#5 Home Sweet virtual home….perfect in every little way. Le sigh. This was fun! Thanks for posting!
.-= Melissa´s last blog ..Meet My Summer Crush =-.

Richella at Imparting Grace May 13, 2010 at 8:03 am

Well now. If money were no object, I’d go with Saddlewood Manor. I’d want to have staff to live in the staff flats, though. The stately homes of England call for staff. I wouldn’t want to be growing mushrooms in the cellar to pay the bills. (Am I the only one who finds that movie fascinating?)

If money were an object, I’d go for the four-bedroom house in Poole. But then, I’m a sucker for a house that’s been sympathetically modernised.

Now, my favorite English house? Greer Garson’s house in Mrs. Miniver. What about you?
.-= Richella at Imparting Grace´s last blog ..On being honest =-.

Julie May 13, 2010 at 8:05 am

I literally let out a whelp when I saw the pictures for that last one. Oh to have a spare $7 million dollars in my couch cushions.

Kim May 13, 2010 at 9:56 am

Julia, #5, I can already envision myself there…:0)
That kitchen…I swooned over.
.-= Kim´s last blog ..Are You My Mother? =-.

Crusty Crone May 13, 2010 at 11:20 am

I was looking at all the properties again and I happened to check out #5′s floor plan.
omg, Its so big. So many rooms. And so inefficiently laid out. At least for “modern times”. The dining room is a room-and-huge-hallway away from the kitchen. But I suppose if you can afford the house you will have help to do all the walking.

Enjoyed the poll and seeing the great properties.

Kellye May 13, 2010 at 6:17 pm

It looks as if I’d have a little competition for Saddlewood. Guess I’ll stick a little closer to home. ;)

Susie Q May 13, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Yes, Saddlewood Manor is gorgeous…huge and gorgeous. But I am a cottage girl. Small and cozy and easy to maintain. There is charm is a cottage that can’t be found anywhere else.
Wish I could hop the pond and move right in! Ahhh….that is my dream!
.-= Susie Q´s last blog ..Where Did That Week Go? =-.

Struggler May 13, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I’m going to be picky, and insist on the Gloucestershire house in the Kingston location. With the Welsh cottage for weekends, of course.
Do I get any brownie points for being able to pronounce “Gloster-shuh”??

Thanks Julia, very much enjoyed this tour of British homes!

Beth A May 14, 2010 at 4:43 pm

House #2 would suit me nicely. Truthfully I’d love the opportunity to live in any of them, but unsure how comfortably I would fit in, as an American. It would be sad to live in such a wonderful place but with few friends. If the locals are friendly and accepting of newcomers, I’d be overjoyed.
I’ve fantasized about living in Cornwall ever since I read The Shell Seekers!

Alva May 15, 2010 at 7:09 am

Its such a hard decision isn’t it! Can’t I have them all??? :)
.-= Alva´s last blog .. =-.

Rent Holiday apartment London September 13, 2010 at 10:28 am

House #4 looks like a castle.
And “Asking:£1,750,000 ” is like for small castle