Renovated Brick & Brownstone Mansion in Philadelphia

by hookedonhouses on June 18, 2009

The recent renovation of the 1874 Second Empire brick and brownstone Hewitt Mansion in Philadelphia was so thorough and impeccable that it’s practically a work of art. It’s now on the market for a little under $6 million. It had spent the past 40 years as a five-unit apartment building before Lily Properties “rescued” it and restored it to its former glory. Take a look at this gorgeous walnut staircase:

To truly appreciate the work that went into the renovation of this staircase, you have to see what it looked like when Lily Properties purchased it and started the work. Click here to see the “before” photos.

Look at these arches! And that crown! And those ceilings! Oh, my!

You can check out the MLS listing and see the rest of the photos here. See the “before” photos and floorplans here.

On a totally different note, Billy Joel and his wife Katie Lee have announced that they are separating after 5 years of marriage. I guess that’s why this post I wrote last year about them and their house in the Hamptons is suddenly so popular.

If You’re Hooked on Old Houses:

Just a reminder that tomorrow is Hooked on Fridays, a blog party I host each week to celebrate the things that make us happy. If you want to participate, simply write a post on your blog about something you’re “hooked on.” I’ll have Mr. Linky up and ready to go by 10:00 tonight (ET) so you can add your permalink to it. See you then!

Eileen June 18, 2009 at 7:39 am

It is absolutely stunning!
What a daunting task to revive this treasure, so glad someone did it!
This was a great post! ‘Loved it!

Jane June 18, 2009 at 8:30 am

I’m so glad I found your site! I love to watch old movies for their interior decoration. Thanks!

Jane’s last blog post..BANANA BROWNIES

Cher June 18, 2009 at 8:58 am

That is stunning. What a fantastic transformation.

Cher’s last blog post..Hmmm. I love Italian.

Sarah June 18, 2009 at 9:19 am

Wow. That’s just gorgeous.

Sarah’s last blog post..What grows there?

songbirdtiff June 18, 2009 at 9:35 am

Beautiful home. I can’t even imagine what a tremendous amount of work this was. The floors are amazing!

songbirdtiff’s last blog post..Make an Inspiration Board from String and Nails

Beverly from Montreal June 18, 2009 at 9:43 am

The home has been beautifully restored.

Where can we view the restoration of the five bathrooms?

hookedonhouses June 18, 2009 at 9:52 am

Beverly–
Those links I gave in the post are all I have for this house. -Julia

Pat June 18, 2009 at 10:10 am

This is gorgeous!! I love that shot of the staircase. Fabulous!

Pat’s last blog post..~Hen & Rooster Table on the Back Porch~

Holly June 18, 2009 at 10:19 am

Oh. my. goodness. Amazing, especially after seeing the ‘before’. On a side note, I went to a small boarding school for high school, and the girls’ dorm was an old stone mansion. The downstairs hallway and stairs looked almost exactly like that second photo. Except with industrial carpeting covering the wood floors…blah.

Holly’s last blog post..Thrift Store Thursday 06/18

Terry Kearns June 18, 2009 at 10:23 am

I going to need that elevator with 14′ ceiling for 1st and 2nd floor. I hope the house is in a prime location. Amazing.

Terry Kearns’s last blog post..Discovering Atlanta’s Upright Cannons

Struggler June 18, 2009 at 10:53 am

They’ve done a beautiful job there. I love that view looking up the staircase, even if it does make me a bit giddy!

Struggler’s last blog post..The ultimate feet treat

rue June 18, 2009 at 11:29 am

I knew that 6 mil I had hidden would come in handy! ;) OMG it’s incredible!!

Btw, the Joel house is beautifully decorated. I hope she gets to keep it.

rue

rue’s last blog post..Ashley’s Graduation

PlantingOaks June 18, 2009 at 11:43 am

Gorgeous!
But I wonder why they skipped on crown molding in the room with the fireplace? It looks so strange to have a bare corner in such an otherwise ornate and authentic house. I know molding is one of your faves, so I’m surprised it didn’t jump out at you like it did for me!

PlantingOaks’s last blog post..The almost walnut door

Amanda @ Serenity Now June 18, 2009 at 11:49 am

I love the detailing on the floors in that last photo! :) Can’t say I’m surprised about Billy Joel and the wife….

Amanda @ Serenity Now’s last blog post..Thrifty Thursday: It’s Chic to Be Cheap {16}

Mom in High Heels June 18, 2009 at 12:41 pm

I love brownstones! I’d love to have one in Chicago. So pretty. So much detail. I wish houses were still built with that much care and skill and attention.

Mom in High Heels’s last blog post..Random Tuesday!

Mike June 18, 2009 at 1:15 pm

I LOVE the pocket doors in that one archway. This is a fantastic renovation. If you looks at the before photos, in one of them it appears you can see where the stairway was just blocked off completely when the building was divided into apartments. What’s even better is the garage – that’s a prize in itself in Center City.

christy June 18, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Wow – what a beautiful renovation – it’s absolutely stunning. And it’s in my town. I wonder if I could convince the realtor to show me around, even though I don’t have six mil in my bank account?! ;-)

christy’s last blog post..Let’s Play!

Arleen @ Seasons for All at Home June 18, 2009 at 8:50 pm

What a beautiful staircase, and I love the inlaid wood in the floors! ~Arleen

Arleen @ Seasons for All at Home’s last blog post..Decorating with Cool Blues and White

Kellye June 19, 2009 at 12:53 am

Just wow…Such a beautiful house. Now *this* is how to restore an older property, not knock everything out and change the historical details.

greenie June 19, 2009 at 10:26 am

Now that’s a work of Art! Absolutely Beautiful! Especially after looking at the before pictures. I’m so happy someone saw the potential of this neglected diamond. A work of true craftsmanship!

greenie June 19, 2009 at 11:00 am

Hi again Julia- I just sent you an email with an “unusual” property (just so you don’t think it’s spam or crazy email stuff). There are 5 photos attached as well. Hope you like!

stephanie June 21, 2009 at 7:21 pm

that staircase is stunning!!

Angie September 27, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Is this the house used in the movie Sixth Sense? That would be the scene where Haley Joel Osment’s character goes to a friend’s birthday party, and Osment gets stuck in an attic at the top floor of the house. That long staircase looks very much like the one in the movie.