Renovated Brick & Brownstone Mansion in Philadelphia

The recent renovation of the 1874 Second Empire brick and brownstone Hewitt Mansion in Philadelphia was so thorough and impeccable that it’s practically a work of art. It’s now on the market for a little under $6 million. It had spent the past 40 years as a five-unit apartment building before Lily Properties “rescued” it and restored it to its former glory. Take a look at this gorgeous walnut staircase:

To truly appreciate the work that went into the renovation of this staircase, you have to see what it looked like when Lily Properties purchased it and started the work. Click here to see the “before” photos.

Look at these arches! And that crown! And those ceilings! Oh, my!

You can check out the MLS listing and see the rest of the photos here. See the “before” photos and floorplans here.

On a totally different note, Billy Joel and his wife Katie Lee have announced that they are separating after 5 years of marriage. I guess that’s why this post I wrote last year about them and their house in the Hamptons is suddenly so popular.

If You’re Hooked on Old Houses:

Just a reminder that tomorrow is Hooked on Fridays, a blog party I host each week to celebrate the things that make us happy. If you want to participate, simply write a post on your blog about something you’re “hooked on.” I’ll have Mr. Linky up and ready to go by 10:00 tonight (ET) so you can add your permalink to it. See you then!

This Greenwich, Connecticut home, described as being "Georgian Colonial” in its real estate listing, is on the market for about $7.5 million. It has 6…
Check out this bungalow that was bought from a Sears catalog in 1933. It has 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and is on the market in…

1. Eileen says

It is absolutely stunning!
    What a daunting task to revive this treasure, so glad someone did it!
    This was a great post! ‘Loved it!

2. Beverly from Montreal says

The home has been beautifully restored.

Where can we view the restoration of the five bathrooms?

3. hookedonhouses says

Those links I gave in the post are all I have for this house. -Julia

Oh. my. goodness. Amazing, especially after seeing the ‘before’. On a side note, I went to a small boarding school for high school, and the girls’ dorm was an old stone mansion. The downstairs hallway and stairs looked almost exactly like that second photo. Except with industrial carpeting covering the wood floors…blah.

Holly’s last blog post..Thrift Store Thursday 06/18

I knew that 6 mil I had hidden would come in handy! 😉 OMG it’s incredible!!

Btw, the Joel house is beautifully decorated. I hope she gets to keep it.

rue’s last blog post..Ashley’s Graduation

But I wonder why they skipped on crown molding in the room with the fireplace? It looks so strange to have a bare corner in such an otherwise ornate and authentic house. I know molding is one of your faves, so I’m surprised it didn’t jump out at you like it did for me!

PlantingOaks’s last blog post..The almost walnut door

I love brownstones! I’d love to have one in Chicago. So pretty. So much detail. I wish houses were still built with that much care and skill and attention.

Mom in High Heels’s last blog post..Random Tuesday!

8. Mike says

I LOVE the pocket doors in that one archway. This is a fantastic renovation. If you looks at the before photos, in one of them it appears you can see where the stairway was just blocked off completely when the building was divided into apartments. What’s even better is the garage – that’s a prize in itself in Center City.

Wow – what a beautiful renovation – it’s absolutely stunning. And it’s in my town. I wonder if I could convince the realtor to show me around, even though I don’t have six mil in my bank account?! 😉

christy’s last blog post..Let’s Play!

10. Kellye says

Just wow…Such a beautiful house. Now *this* is how to restore an older property, not knock everything out and change the historical details.

11. greenie says

Now that’s a work of Art! Absolutely Beautiful! Especially after looking at the before pictures. I’m so happy someone saw the potential of this neglected diamond. A work of true craftsmanship!

12. greenie says

Hi again Julia- I just sent you an email with an “unusual” property (just so you don’t think it’s spam or crazy email stuff). There are 5 photos attached as well. Hope you like!

13. Angie says

Is this the house used in the movie Sixth Sense? That would be the scene where Haley Joel Osment’s character goes to a friend’s birthday party, and Osment gets stuck in an attic at the top floor of the house. That long staircase looks very much like the one in the movie.