House of Tiles: An Old House Gets a Colorful Renovation

by hookedonhouses on April 13, 2009

This English Arts & Crafts-style home was built in 1895 in Cincinnati, Ohio. It was renovated a few years ago by the late architect Terry Brown, so of course there wouldn’t be anything “ordinary” about it! Here’s what it looked like when a few years ago, before the renovation started (via the county auditor’s website):

Amazing what a difference some fresh paint can make!

But the color doesn’t stop there. Brown added some colorful tiles to almost every room, from the kitchen:

To the study, where it wraps around the bookshelves:

But it was in the three newly renovated bathrooms where the tile really takes off (almost literally):

If those bathrooms didn’t wake you up in the morning, I don’t know what would!

The house has 5 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, and is on the market for $609,000. You can see the rest of the photos and get more information about it on the MLS listing. Take a look and let me know what you think!

You may also be interested in the Telford Mansion or this Red Brick Traditional–two other old homes that were renovated a bit unusually and sparked a lot of reader discussion when I posted them.

P.S. I nearly called this post, “English Arts & Crafts Home Gets S-TILE-ish Renovation” because I’m tired tonight and my creativity went to bed an hour ago. But at the last minute Joni of Cote de Texas came up with this much better post title for me: “House of Tiles.” Thanks for your help, Joni! :-)

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger April 13, 2009 at 10:33 pm

I liked the kitchen…and the library…but OY, those bathrooms are HEINOUS.

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger’s last blog post..Kitchen Confidential: Salad Dressing from HEAVEN

Susan Lang @ Designing Your Dream Home April 13, 2009 at 10:34 pm

Wow! What comes to my mind: what a cluster*+#&! Unusual but at least clean!

Susan Lang @ Designing Your Dream Home’s last blog post..Bath Tub Series Part Two: Tub Deck

Gennaro April 13, 2009 at 11:09 pm

That’s some impressive tile work. I do wonder whether that would make a home very difficult to sell though. Like the study. Lots of natural light. Usually in-home library are in darker areas of the home and rely on artificial light.

Gennaro’s last blog post..Best Newspaper Travel Sections

laura @ the shore house April 13, 2009 at 11:48 pm

Give yourself some credit…”S-TILE-ish Renovation”…you still got it, girl! ;-)

Well…I do love the outside of the house. I wonder if you go ’round back and the whole yard, chimney, etc., are tiled. :-) The inside certainly, er, pops. Someone put a lot of love and work into it, though, so I feel badly about that.

laura @ the shore house’s last blog post..Go ahead…make my day.

Tam April 14, 2009 at 3:32 am

Hello Julia!
Well I must agree with the other bloggers the bathrooms are just too much. VERY whimsical but not most peoples style. However the outside was very nice -I liked the way the details popped after the renovation.
Hope you are having an awesome week! -Tam:D

Tam’s last blog post..Nothing but classs…You know You Want it!

christy April 14, 2009 at 4:44 am

I LOVE the tiles. I’m probably in the minority but I would just love to have that first bathroom in my own home. I think it’s whimsical and beautiful and oh so fun. And that kitchen is fabulous. Having installed glass mosaic tile in our guest bath ourselves, I can’t even imagine how long it would take to do something as intricate as this. But I love it. And I love the tile in the den. I’m going to check out the other pix on MLS now – thanks for sharing this with us!

christy’s last blog post..Date night

Kathi April 14, 2009 at 6:08 am

The exterior is nice, love the floors, windows and moldings… but then, oh dear, another remuddle.

Denise April 14, 2009 at 7:19 am

Wow – the exterior paint job really took the house from dark and dull to awesome curb appeal. I really like the tile work in the kitchen. The bathrooms are a bit too stimulating for my taste, however I can appreciate the tile work as art!

Denise’s last blog post..The Geek Squad hits Seattle

Laura April 14, 2009 at 7:51 am

Lovely renovation job although I’d hate to wander into the bathroom after an evening of one too many glasses of wine. Not too mention the little (business-like) voice in the back of head that keeps muttering “resale nightmare”.

Laura’s last blog post..Niantic (Black Point) Beach House

Liz Jenkins April 14, 2009 at 8:23 am

I have to agree with some of the above posts – I actually love the bathrooms (especially the one with the circles and blue & green tile) and can appreciate the attention to detail but this is obviously a labor of love and not for the general public. It’s going to have to find the one buyer who gasps and says I have to have this house, because most are going to have their jaws drop when they see those bathrooms and not in a good way. Definitely memorable though.
The exterior is fantastic, as is the kitchen, but not crazy about the tile in the library. What a cool house – I’d live in it.

Liz Jenkins’s last blog post.."how-to" make a cool Easter scavenger hunt . . . what the easter bunny did!

moggit girls April 14, 2009 at 8:26 am

Woah! That’s ALOT of tile!

Melissa April 14, 2009 at 8:33 am

Wow, I think the house is interesting till you get to the bathrooms. That is enough to scare the crap out of you, but there really would be no need for newspapers or magazines, those walls would keep you occupied for hours. Sorry I couldn’t help myself.

Linda@Lime in the Coconut April 14, 2009 at 8:39 am

That took some time! I appreciate the art of it…but wouldn’t wanna live with it. Not THIS morning!

Good mornin’ sunshine!

Linda@Lime in the Coconut’s last blog post..Land of the lotus=eaters’…

Liz@VioletPosy April 14, 2009 at 8:52 am

Oh My!!! Love the outside, hate, hate, hate that bathroom tile. Just horrific!

Liz@VioletPosy’s last blog post..Happy Easter!

songbirdtiff April 14, 2009 at 9:05 am

The tile in the bathroom is…intense.

Love the kitchen!

songbirdtiff’s last blog post..Take out the Trash (They Might Be Giants)

bungalowbliss April 14, 2009 at 9:21 am

Whew, that is a little much. Love the exterior, though!

bungalowbliss’s last blog post..Remembering Emily

Kat April 14, 2009 at 9:54 am

Whoa, that’s rad! And I just spent the last week laying tiles in the kitchen – I can’t imagine how many man-hours went into designing, cutting, and laying those intricate designs. More power to them!

K

beth April 14, 2009 at 10:13 am

I hate it! But I don’t have one ounce of contemporary or “whimsical” in me at all. I like a much more traditional, cottagy, beachy style. And a much more neutral and soothing color palette. And I hate tile! That place is not for me.

beth’s last blog post..Sun worshiper

Linda Merrill April 14, 2009 at 10:40 am

Some people just don’t know when to say when!

Linda Merrill’s last blog post..I’ve got the blues…

Kim @ Everything Etsy April 14, 2009 at 10:45 am

Wow! What a bathroom! I’m a color person, but I need things a little calmer in the morning. :-)

~Kim

Kim @ Everything Etsy’s last blog post..Alexandra Ferguson – Featured Artist

Jenny April 14, 2009 at 11:37 am

Oh my! That tile frightens me! LOL

Jenny’s last blog post..Easter Egg Hunt

Angela April 14, 2009 at 1:31 pm

I think I would prefer to stick to my morning cup of DD coffee than to get ready in that bathroom. It stresses me out looking at it! :)
~angela

Angela’s last blog post..Easter Tassel Sale

Kathy :) April 14, 2009 at 1:40 pm

So true when they say some peoples taste is only in their mouth !!! Oh my those bathrooms would give me cramps everytime !!!

Love Joni’s blog….she has no clue who I am but I read her all the time, I’ve only commented a few times…

I hope your Easter was nice….ours sure was….

All the best,
Kathy :)

DesignTies April 14, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Wow!! That’s a lot of tiles!! Definitely unique and colourful. A bit over-the-top for my taste, but full points for creativity :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

DesignTies’s last blog post..Bryan Adams… livin’ the Paris life

Wil @ Spot Cool Websites April 14, 2009 at 3:04 pm

Put me in the category of people who thinks the bathroom is WAY over tiled. I’m not sure I could take that much tile chaos first thing in the morning.

Wil @ Spot Cool Websites’s last blog post..Cool Websites For Home Remodeling & Redecoration

Grace April 14, 2009 at 4:44 pm

I like the foyer and living room but those bathrooms are way too much. I could not live with that tile. I thought wallpaper was hard to remove. I couldn’t imagine trying to remove that tile, uggh!

Grace’s last blog post..Pre-trip Report

desiree April 14, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Finally got on! Whew…now onto the home. The outside love the new paint. It shows the details of the home beautifully. Kitchen tile I like it. Kinda mixing a modern design with traditional cabinets….the bathrooms you can keep. I think they are hideous. Sorry it’s just too much going on. My eyes don’t know where to stop. It feels like the tile was left over and they needed to use it up somehow.

desiree’s last blog post..Container Garden – How to Get Started

rue April 14, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Hi Julia :)

Do you think it’s wrong to say something bad about a dead man’s house? Probably, so I’ll just keep quiet….. ;)

I hope you and your family had a great Easter!
rue

rue’s last blog post..Happy Birthday Alex

Terry Kearns April 14, 2009 at 6:38 pm

I’d like to visit those bathrooms but I wouldn’t want to live there.

Terry Kearns’s last blog post..Painted Eggs – Happy Easter

Jewel April 15, 2009 at 7:29 am

Love the exterior – Great detail work and the color placement is fantastic! Hate the interior. I could live with the kitchen, the library is not my fave, but those bathrooms are just not my style. I would feel like I was in a Salvador Dali painting. Interesting to see though!

Jewel’s last blog post..Easter Table and Decorations for Tablescape Thursday

Melinda April 15, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Love the exterior …one of my favorites. I like the idea of the bathrooms but I don’t think I’d like to look at them every morning pre-coffee!

I really like the kitchen.

ida April 22, 2009 at 12:57 am

i really loved this house and the bathrooms. its a cool way to decorate the bathroom. even put mirrors in the shower area. very cool. i love the sun. i looked at the other pics on this house and it was cool. the floors werent some strange color and basicaly it was a good redue.

greenie May 5, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Beautiful exterior, love the kitchen, but like everyone else said, the bathroom tile is just too much. Not only is it unattractive, it seems to make the space claustrophobic.

moo January 12, 2011 at 7:51 am

meh, those tiles may be a tad kitschy (80s?) for a wide range of house guests, but it’s cheap livable art for the right owner!
totally love it *tear*