I Spy a Classic Foursquare

by hookedonhouses on August 18, 2008

My daughter Lily loves to play “I Spy.” We play it a lot in the car on road trips and in restaurants when we’re waiting for the food to arrive. We also enjoy those “I Spy” books where you search for certain objects on each page.

So that got me thinking. Why not play a version of “I Spy” together on the blog today as we take a tour of this charming foursquare? We’ll find out how observant you are!

The house was built in 1907 in the Overlook neighborhood of Old Portland. It has 3 bedrooms, 1.5 baths, and is selling for $675,000.

I Spy with My Little Eye…

• a turtle
  • a pair of shoes
  • a little red stool
  • a star
  • a fish
  • 12 (or more) candles

As you take the tour, see if you can spy them, too!

Did you spy all of these?

• a turtle
  • a pair of shoes
  • a little red stool
  • a star
  • a fish
  • 12 (or more) candles

Tell us what you found–and what you’re missing!

Thanks to Mrs. French over at Bliss for linking to this house listing, which is how I found it. You can see more photos and get more information about this beautiful old home on its MLS listing.

Jan August 18, 2008 at 10:02 pm

I found everything…just not quite sure about the turtle. Is it the turqoise thing in the backyard in the 3rd photo from last? If it is, then I found all of them!!!

Jan

laura @ the shorehouse August 18, 2008 at 11:17 pm

I also spy a round-table-I-wish-I-spied-in-a-store-near-me-before-I-bought-my-round-table. :-)

p.s. I didn’t spy a fish. I spy a whale – Does that win me bonus points?

p.p.s. I really like this house!

Nikki~ The Scarlett Rose Garden August 18, 2008 at 11:25 pm

Hi Julia! I’m going to be onery and reply in one post to many!!
I just love a good four square, don’t you? They always have great lines. I esp. love the black trim in this one. Nice modern twist, but still kept all of the great old charm.

That puple angel house was HOOT! OMG…. Island Mojo, ROFL!! Ah, much better now. But can you imagine being the one to tell that gal she needs to paint over that….decor??

The Dallas thing cracked me up. I was like 11 or so I think, but I always watched it with my mom.

That’s really a shame about Teri Garr. Seems MS is popping up more and more. I have quite a few clients with it, two more just diagnosed. Mostly women, tho my girlfriend’s husband was recently diagnosed within the last few years as well.
I hope they find some promissing new meds soon.

Linda B August 19, 2008 at 3:25 am

I spy a loved andLOVELY foursquare!! The little red stool was my fave!

Thanks for the game!!

Angela August 19, 2008 at 6:09 am

I spy a charming old house with beautiful decor that someone neglected to clean up for listing photos. This is a knock out house that could have been even better if the towels had been picked up, shampoo bottles hidden, and that kitchen stool put under the sink! That is just me being cantankerous this morning. It really is such a swell house.

ps. Ashton loves I spy, too!

Becky August 19, 2008 at 6:15 am

I spent my whole evening touring homes. What a brilliant and beautiful blog. I enjoyed every minute of it. It was a great alternative to worrying about the hurricane that was heading our way. I found myself praying not only for the storm to weaken but that we wouldn’t be without power so I could return to your blog.

marie August 19, 2008 at 6:57 am

I spy a table in the master bath that I want!! :o)

Cute house! I love that look… well made! lol

maya August 19, 2008 at 6:57 am

i’d like to spy the $675,000 it would take to buy this house!

Norma August 19, 2008 at 7:22 am

Hi Julia, I found everything, it took me a few minutes to find that fish. That is a lovely little home. Thanks for doing the I spy with my little eye, I used to play that game all the time when I was little too.

Pat August 19, 2008 at 8:19 am

I spied them all!

I love a classic four square!

Angela August 19, 2008 at 8:20 am

Maybe living in the South has spoiled me. I can’t imagine paying $675K for a house w/ only 3 beds – 1.5 baths.
It’s a cute house though, and I found all the objects plus a few extra candles!

sandra/tx August 19, 2008 at 8:50 am

I found everything, too. Thanks for the game! I also spied a globe, four butterflies and two U.S. flags. :-)

Amy August 19, 2008 at 9:44 am

Apparently I’m clueless because I found about 7 candles and a turtle sandbox. I did see a bunch of butterflies and a colorful caterpillar though. I agree with Angela- clean up your beautiful historic home *before* the agent comes to take pictures. That deck is to die for.

And here’s a shameless plug for my blog- I’m touring a historic cottage today :)

Tori August 19, 2008 at 9:54 am

I spied Everything!! Woo Hoo! I love this house! It’s so cute
and it really does feel homey.

Kathy :) August 19, 2008 at 10:03 am

I found them all except the fish ?? Unless it’s the pic on the wall in the office area ??? And i had to look twice to find the star.. Loser LOL

We used to play a similar game with our kids , we called it I’m thinking of something (?) then we’d give clues….

Nice post Julia,
Kathy :)

Kathy :) August 19, 2008 at 10:15 am

LOL thanks I found it !!!
K :)

Elizabeth August 19, 2008 at 12:03 pm

Well, after looking through these pictures, I’ll be thumbing my nose at my own home tonight. That is one GORGEOUS house.

Jana August 19, 2008 at 2:26 pm

I love every single bit of this house.

Ms.Tee August 19, 2008 at 2:51 pm

I spy the deck I’d really like to have! :) And I like that black trim, too…

Bettsi August 19, 2008 at 4:30 pm

I did, I did! That was fun, Julia! Thank you.

kari & kijsa August 19, 2008 at 5:11 pm

So fun! Thank you for your encouraging words during this difficult time. Thank you again for all your thoughtful comments, time and prayers.

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Karla & Karrie August 19, 2008 at 6:30 pm

What an adorable house! I can’t believe I’m saying this…but I really like the black woodwork – I’m normally a white woodwork girl!
Sorry to say I didn’t play….you still like us though, right??!!!!

Brandee August 19, 2008 at 7:37 pm

I stink at this game. I couldn’t find the fish or the turtle. :-(

Kimberley August 19, 2008 at 8:56 pm

What a gorgeous house, and a great idea! Off to play!

lisamm August 19, 2008 at 10:36 pm

I found all of them !! HOw fun, thanks!

Robin August 19, 2008 at 11:13 pm

I spy a lovely house with a back yard and deck that I am ready to move right into.

PS – Walter Wick (I Spy artist/author) lives in my neighborhood and I see him walking his big black standard poodle every day. Now HIS house is something else: Converted. 1920s. Firehouse.

more here: http://tinyurl.com/5hjwkp

DMD August 19, 2008 at 11:38 pm

This is proof that transitional to contemporary furnishing can look good in an somewhat untouched traditional home. I love that they have left the dark wood work. Very Pottery Barn meets Restoration hardware.

hookedonhouses August 20, 2008 at 6:11 am

Robin, thanks for the link. His converted firehouse is way cool! -Julia

irishsof August 20, 2008 at 9:51 am

Okay full disclosure – I didn’t bother to try and spy them, too. because looking that closely on this laptop screen while I’m traveling is tough on the eyes.

BUT – I love this house. It’s so warm and homey, and it also reminds me of my college dorm with all the dark woodwork.

irishsof August 20, 2008 at 9:52 am

*grumbles* Please excuse the unbelievably bad grammar in my previous comment. Clearly I need more coffee this morning.

Melissa Lewis - Off The Wall August 20, 2008 at 3:56 pm

What a fun little game:) I love this house!!!!!

Melody from ~Pennies In My Pocket~ August 20, 2008 at 11:41 pm

OK that was too fun! I love this house, too!

~melody~

E April 21, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Well… I got so distracted by the thousands of chairs that I didn’t get any of the official I Spy items. Sheesh.

Nathan September 8, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I think the kitchen is okay, but the rest of the house is much too crowded. I do really like the deck though.

{ 3 trackbacks }