1908 Mitchell Mansion on Rose Hill

by hookedonhouses on May 13, 2008

This was one of the houses we walked by on the house tour through North Avondale. This three-story home was built in 1908 and has 6 bedrooms and 4.5 baths, with a total of 6,500 square feet. It’s currently on the market for $860,000, so I looked up the interior photos to show you (see the MLS listing here).

It’s a lovely old home, but as I looked through the rooms, one of them stuck out like a sore thumb. It made me think of that game we played with the Telford Mansion recently:

“One of these things is not like the other. One of these things just doesn’t belong.”

Take a look and see if you agree that this particular remodel left one room looking like it was grafted on from another house altogether.

See what I mean? The remodeled kitchen definitely wakes you up and makes you go “whoa.” Whether that’s a good thing or not, I’m not sure. What do you think?

Stay tuned for more Rose Hill mansions. I’m downloading the photos as fast as I can!

If You’re Hooked on Old Houses:

Amy May 13, 2008 at 9:53 am

I guess they decided to have fun in the kitchen. I love it but it definitely doesn’t go with the rest of the interior. I looooove the entry staircase.

JLB May 13, 2008 at 10:35 am

This house so much great character and I love the way it sits away from the street. I think the kitchen could work with just a color change. The paint is like something out of Miami Vice…yikes….to much T.V. people.

REAGAN May 13, 2008 at 10:51 am

I agree..i think a different paint choice would make it fit in way better. i love this house though and especially the entry staircase! The kitchen looks nice, but too different – you’re right.

hookedonhouses May 13, 2008 at 11:48 am

Isn’t this house great? I love all the woodwork, and the bookshelves. Maybe it is just the kitchen’s paint color that doesn’t fit with the rest of the house. It’s like you get used to seeing subdued, more classic blues and greens, and then POW. I didn’t expect that. Good call, JLB. -Julia

plantingoaks May 13, 2008 at 11:57 am

y’know, this doesn’t bother me as much as the other crazy kitchen. I’m pretty sure it’s just the paint, so they didn’t ruin the house for anyone else – and heck, if they want a turquoise kitchen I guess they can have fun with it.

I’d probably change it, but it looks like the bones are good. There’s even a fair amount of white woodwork in the rest of the house, so the cabinets aren’t even out of place.

Laura May 13, 2008 at 1:23 pm

Is that a yellow and green rolling pin hanging from the ceiling?!

Really the color is the only thing I find offense to in the kitchen. It is strange that the same people who like the Williamsburg colors also like the Miami Vice colors, as JLB said.

I love the bones of this house.

Jessica May 13, 2008 at 3:20 pm

I love the kitchen! It looks a lot better than the dining room – bleh.

Lynn May 13, 2008 at 3:21 pm

Oh, when can I move in? I like this house. I’d paint the kitchen a different color.

Pat May 13, 2008 at 4:24 pm

I think with a little tweaking and a color change the kitchen could work! I absolutely love the foyer and that wonderful staircase!!

Pat

Amy May 13, 2008 at 4:37 pm

Laura, I’m pretty sure that’s a fishing lure :)

Heather May 13, 2008 at 5:39 pm

ooh I love this one! I don’t love the kitchen, but I don’t mind it either. What I really love, though, is the library. All those books! So pretty.

JLB May 13, 2008 at 5:49 pm

Yes that is a fishing lure….for a really big fish I guess. Does anyone but me think this might be a kosher kitchen. From the pics it looks like there are 2 sinks and 2 dishwashers or is that a butler’s pantry.

melissa lewis - off the wall May 13, 2008 at 9:13 pm

The kitchen isn’t bad, I think it just feels like someone else sneaked in and incorporated a different style. Doesn’t at all flow with the rest of the house.

Who really has that many books?!

Amateur Tightwad May 13, 2008 at 9:54 pm

I love Melissa Lewis’s comment. I saw the library and immediately wanted this house. (I don’t have that many books, Melissa, but only because I don’t have space for them.) The kitchen color, I agree, could be maybe a bit more in keeping with the rest of the house, but I love this place. That staircase. Man! And at under a million, next to the mutli-million castles you’ve featured, Julia, this seems like a bargain at twice the price. :)

mamacita May 13, 2008 at 10:51 pm

It looks like they had a kitchen flown in from Key West. :)
I loooove the library. I have about as many books as they do!

hookedonhouses May 14, 2008 at 7:12 am

I have never seen so many books as I did on this house tour. Every house had tons of bookshelves and they were all stacked to overflowing. Then there were stacks of books on every table and surface in the homes. I think a lot of professors live there because it’s not far from both U.C. and Xavier U. My dad said that when he worked at U.C. they used to have parties at the administrators’ homes in this area, too.

One old mansion had a huge butler’s pantry, but instead of using it for dishes, the glass-fronted shelves were used to hold rows and rows of hardcovers.

Mamacita–that’s exactly it! It does look like a Key West kitchen, giant fishing lure and all. :-)

ed felson August 16, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I grew up in this house at 3994 rose hill. my family, 5 kids, parents and a grandpa, lived there from 1959-1986.
you are correct, my father was a prof at u.c. medical school. books everywhere. we also found a couple of secret hiding places such as a false wall in a closet. i have great memories of growing up there.
the kitchen was remodeled by the next owner, our former county coroner, Dr. Parrott. it doesnt fit but in their defense, the old kitchen wasn’t functional by today’s standards.

hookedonhouses August 16, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Interesting! Nice to hear from you, Ed. The kitchen really just needs a more neutral color and it would fit the house better. I’m sure it’s a lot more functional now! -Julia :-)

Melanie May 14, 2008 at 8:34 am

My downstairs bath is that color. (But in a sea ot builders white it comes off as fun!) We call it pool blue.

Tori May 14, 2008 at 9:38 am

The kitchen is set up really nice, but when I saw it I could
almost hear the cymbal sound reverberating as I jumped back
in shock. Beautiful kitchen; wrong house. But can I just say
something about the library? –THEY HAVE A LIBRARY–
The fact that I am obsessed with books is probably one
of the things that makes me odd. No, it’s not because of
books, books are awesome, it’s because I absolutely love
books, but I never read them. You see my mom is a librarian,
I just got a job (for the fall) that will be in a library, and both of
my parents read books like none other. I don’t ever remember
a time that they weren’t in the process of reading a book, or getting ready to read a book. But any way, off of my little
soap box thing, I love the idea of having a room in your house,
where you are completely surrounded by books.

Angela May 21, 2008 at 2:45 pm

OH MY WORD – who in the world designed that kitchen?!?! Beautiful in Miami….maybe…

Rick February 13, 2009 at 12:11 pm

I think the interiors are beautiful, but the kitchen needs 2 coats of neutral paint. a rich tan would be great. the major down side I see is the location. when I enter the address into Live Search Maps you can see how close a 5-6 storey Apartment? building and detached garages are to the east of the property. The back lot line is up against what looks like a commercial street.

rick