Cobble Court: A French Norman Country Estate

by hookedonhouses on February 28, 2008

castleihexterior.jpe

This grand old home known as “Cobble Court” sits on 9 rolling acres. It has 9 bedrooms and 8 baths, and it’s on the market for $8.7 million. It was built in 1933 to look like a French Norman country estate and definitely looks European. Surprisingly, though, it’s not really French–it’s right here in Ohio, just a few miles away from my house (no, we don’t all live like this in the Buckeye State, I’m sorry to say).

I already showed you the grand staircase with the red carpet (Staircases That Would Make Scarlett Swoon). Now here, as promised, are pictures from the rest of the house.

castleihexterior2.jpe

This looks like many of the rambling old homes we saw when we were in England a few years ago.

castleihhall.jpe

Here’s the hall (above) with a glimpse of the red staircase that you already saw here.

castleihfireplace.jpe

This fireplace is almost as big as the one in Citizen Kane (another movie I should’ve added to my list of favorites in the post about Houses on the Big Screen).  Among other things, it says “Cobble Court 1933″ in the stone.

castleihgreathall1.jpe

This great hall made my jaw drop. Who knew there were people living like this a few blocks from my humble abode?

castleihgreathall2.jpe

Here’s the view of the other end of the hall. I love the bookshelves and balcony.

castleihgrandhall3.jpe

And finally, here’s the view from that balcony. Look at those floor-to-ceiling bookshelves! The whole place is pretty spectacular.

castleihgrounds.jpe

janet February 29, 2008 at 8:49 am

Did you notice that the Study ( you know, usually referred to as a “cozy room” ) is 51×27??? That is 1377s.f. plus the volume of the ceiling. Wow. Taxes $49,500 annually!! Can’t buy it this week :)

Janet

hookedonhouses February 29, 2008 at 8:53 am

I didn’t notice that, Janet. Can you imagine? That study alone is bigger than my first apartment!

Melinda March 2, 2008 at 7:06 pm

I actually sent this mls listing to my dh at work a couple weeks ago. He estimated we might be able to afford it for about 6 weeks !

DAK March 2, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Imagine the Real Estage agent picking up their 6% of the sale?!? Only a half-a-million bucks ($522,000)

Randy April 5, 2008 at 11:54 am

Julia…love your site. Thanks for sharing your Cobble Court images. The fireplace, cathedral ceiling and floor-to-ceiling bookcases are something else!

I’m having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that it’s in Ohio! Most of the homes I grew up in (Newark, OH) look like they are straight out of A Christmas Story.

I, too, am hooked on houses. Glad I found your site.

JLB April 8, 2008 at 11:25 am

Hey Lady,
You have to stop putting pictures of my houses on your site. I need a little privacy in my real estate empire. The spaces are personal to me, I am being put in a vulnerable state here…..JLB wakes up to realize he is stil not the powerball winner with multipy homes. Many tears are shed on desk.

Deb December 31, 2008 at 11:48 pm

stunning. love this.

chuck December 5, 2010 at 12:40 pm

the house has been sold, and is going through a major renovation. I’m helping to put hardwood floors in the house. it is an awesome house, even in its current state of being remoldeling. the new owners are super nice and down to earth people.