How Mod! The Venturo Modular Home

by hookedonhouses on January 31, 2008

Check out this groovy Venturo modular home and the fabulous “Come for the weekend and bring your orange bikini!” sort of lifestyle it promises. Finnish architect Matti Suuronen designed these pods in ’71 as the home of the future (I wonder when that future will arrive?).

According to CollabStudio, the prefabricated structure was originally used as a gas station for BP. Here’s the description from the original brochure:

It says:

This is real vacation living–and you get it instantly, maintenance free because Venturo’s exteriors are in fibreglass, anodized aluminum and glass. The Venturo is a modular, easily transportable building system, having excellent insulation, low weight and designed for minimum assembly on site. The spacious living room with its window walls gives you indoor-outdoor living, creating for you a lifestyle of your own.

Just think of the cool parties you could throw in a pod house like this!

The brochure says, “The compact kitchenette can be supplied completely outfitted with factory installed appliances.”

To see Suuronen’s “UFO house,” click here!

DaK February 1, 2008 at 7:55 am

Looks like it could just float away if the water got too high.

hookedonhouses February 1, 2008 at 10:03 am

Luckily, they would all be prepared in their Speedos and bikinis if that happened, DaK, and could swim back to shore!

CindyK February 1, 2008 at 10:06 am

OMG. I *love* this. I adore the idea of a self-contained, fully furnished home — very Frank Lloyd Wright, where he would pick out everything from the woodwork to the cutlery and his clients were expected to comply. Our neighborhood has a lot of Lustron homes from the 50s that follow the same concept (http://www.wosu.org/archive/lustron/house.php). The entire interior is metal, and there’s no room for any kind of real-life stuff that my life currently contains: piles of unread books, misplaced Lego’s, half-started craft projects. The concept feels so simple and clean. Even with high heels and hot pants.

Tracey February 1, 2008 at 10:47 am

Groovy! I actually had the very same kitchen table and chairs when we were first married, they were inherited from my in-laws. I couldn’t wait untill we had enough money to replace them!

CindyK February 1, 2008 at 12:03 pm

Tracey: Do you know what that kitchen table would go for on eBay now? :)

Melinda Jenkins Jones February 1, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Wow very 70′s cool! I ‘m having flashbacks because I grew up in a house with the same orangey kitchen.

Liz February 1, 2008 at 5:40 pm

I thought this was a lifestyle only Barbie could live up to. I had no idea real people (in real, orange bikinis) were livin’ it up.

And while I agree with CindyK’s Wright comparison, I’m thankful that Frank was more prolific with his architecture and decorating than Matti was. (Though I’m fairly certain I saw this whole house for sale at Ikea last month.)

maya February 1, 2008 at 6:59 pm

Fabulous! Ok, so where are these houses today?! I want one. They’re so cute, I want to pop one in my mouth like candy!

Tracey February 1, 2008 at 8:17 pm

Cindy- I know! My husband reminds me daily, along with all the other things I’ve thrown away over the years.

palmharborbuilders February 4, 2008 at 12:50 pm

When my husband were in Rome a couple of years ago, we were staying up by the Consulate. Just down the hill from our hotel was a little restaurant in the middle of the sidewalk area that looked much like this. I believe it had more concrete involved, but looked very chic in the evening with the twinkling lights and the bustling people inside. And all of the nightlife peering in at the warm scene from all 4 sides. Instant bistro!

Barry George October 25, 2009 at 8:12 am

Regarding the Ventura fiberglass home, I visited the instore display of this home at Macy’s in New York City in 1972. I fell in love with it then, and still admire the same design today. Wish I had purchased one.

Anna Lehtinen January 3, 2010 at 3:40 pm
Daryl Martinez March 30, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I could build that…better and better looking for $7500. Be realistic folks…they’re not for everyone…stylish as they seem to be!? I would rather have a rustic, efficient as hell, log cabin! “some folks want to keep up with the Joneses…I am the Joneses!

Nita April 5, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I toured a dome home many years ago and didn’t like the rounded walls and lack of storage. What storage there was was at calf level. They are the strongest homes, however. Did you know about the all steel or metal homes built in the 1940s? There are many in California, and you can literally take a hose to the walls.

{ 3 trackbacks }