5 Movie Houses I’d Like to Celebrate the Holidays In

by hookedonhouses on December 23, 2012

1. Marley & Me

I loved all of the houses in the movie Marley & Mebut the Pennsylvania farmhouse was my favorite. It was an exciting day for me when an anonymous source from behind the scenes sent me photos taken during production at the house.

It went on the market last year and you can see photos of how the house looks in real life here.

2. Stepmom

I would love to spend the holidays in a house like the Victorian in the movie Stepmomwithout the terminal illness Susan Sarandon’s character had, of course.

The real house they used for the movie was on the market last year and one of my readers happened to own it. If you missed it, you can see what it looks like here: The Real Stepmom and Bounty Hunter House For Sale (yep, it was used in that Jennifer Aniston movie, too!)

3. Baby Boom

Even though we don’t get to see Diane Keaton’s yellow Cape Cod decorated for Christmas, I always thought it looked like a wonderful place to spend the holidays. (You can see more pics of the house in my post about it here.)

This is one of those movies I like to watch again every December, drinking hot chocolate and daydreaming about moving to a place like Hadleyville, Vermont. I wouldn’t mind if the small-town vet looked like Sam Shepard, either… ;-)

4. The Holiday

If I had to spend the holidays alone, then Iris’s stone cottage in England looks like the perfect place for it. So cozy.

I still hear from readers every week who are stunned to learn from my post about it that it wasn’t a real cottage. It feels real to me every time I watch the movie, though, and that’s all that really counts, right? (To see how they created the facade for it: Building Kate Winslet’s Cottage for The Holiday.)

5. Little Women

One of the best things about Louisa May Alcott’s Orchard House in the movie Little Women was that it was a recreation of the real thing, which is now a museum in Concord, Mass.

Little Women was one of my favorite books as a girl. My Illustrated Junior Edition is still on my bookshelf and makes me happy every time I look through it. As the only girl in my family (I have a brother and lots of boy cousins), the idea of a house full of sisters always sounded wonderful to me!

What would be your dream movie house to visit this time of year? I’m already thinking of other favorites and could easily come up with 5 more–I bet you could, too!

Other Christmas-Movie Houses I’ve Featured…

Sarah December 24, 2012 at 12:27 am

Father of the bride!

The family stone!

hookedonhouses December 24, 2012 at 8:44 am

Those are good ones, too! Here are photos of the Family Stone house: http://hookedonhouses.net/2008/12/10/the-family-stone-home-for-the-holidays/. I heard from the production designer after writing that post years ago thanking me for it. That was really a thrill for me!

Oh, and you can see pics of the Father of the Bride house here: http://hookedonhouses.net/2009/06/14/movie-monday-the-father-of-the-bride-house/. Love that one.

Kelly - Talk of the House December 24, 2012 at 7:31 am

These are all beautiful, but I am with Sarah above in the house from The Family Stone. I just watched it again Friday night (and cried again!) That house is the epitome of a home for Christmas.
I hope your next two days of Christmas are fun and blessed ones!
Kelly

Screendoorgirl 3 December 24, 2012 at 8:21 am

Great post, Julia! I agree 100% with all of those movie houses. Each one has it’s own special charm. For me the killer Christmas movie scene is towards the end of “It’s a Wonderful Life”, when George comes in from his terrible night and Mary’s all dressed up and the kids yell ” Hi, Daddy ” from the top of the stairs and you just know he’s home for real.. Gets me every time, messy house and all. Merry Christmas!!

Desiree {CHIC COASTAL LIVING} December 24, 2012 at 8:30 am

I’m with you! All of these houses would be perfect to spend Christmas in! Merry Christmas Julia!! You won the candle on my blog if you want to send me your address I’ll mail it out to you! XOXO

hookedonhouses December 24, 2012 at 8:42 am

Wow! Lucky me! Thanks, Desiree. :-)

Monique December 24, 2012 at 8:56 am

I like them all too:)
Warm Wishes~

Erin December 24, 2012 at 10:26 am

I’d pick the Home Alone House! Merry Christmas!

ShabbyChick December 24, 2012 at 10:32 am

Any of them would be absolutely perfect! Have a wonderful Christmas, Julia, and a Blessed New Year! ;)

Anne @ DesignDreamsbyAnne December 24, 2012 at 11:20 am

Oh! I began with the first house, thinking, OH yes! I love that house – so want to have that house. And then the second house, OH no, THAT house is the perfect house… and so on with the third, fourth and fifth. Wonderful choices and I love ALL of those movies. Thank you for the tours and for reminding me of these fabulous movies.

Merry Christmas!

xox

House Crazy Sarah December 24, 2012 at 11:26 am

My all-time favorite Christmas house is the Vermont Cape Cod farmhouse in Funny Farm. The scenes with the carolers and prospective buyers make me smile so wide.

Deborah December 24, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Oh my we SO share taste in houses :-) – But I’m deeply dissapointed with the cottage from “The holiday” not being a real one – I adored that and like you say, it so feels real.

I’m sure I can find others I love, but I’ll let you, you’re doing such a great job. I sometimes feature my own favorite houses from the area where I live on my blog, så feel free to have a look.

Merry Christmas to you!

Kim December 24, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Great list! My two favorite movie houses are both the Victorian homes from “It’s A Wonderful Life” and “Step Mom”. They both are beautiful.

Kim December 24, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I meant my two favorite Christmas movie houses.

kimberly December 24, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Off topic—-But I have to share this 1940 charmer: http://www.homepath.com/listing?listingid=37410192 That PINK kitchen! That green bath! Someone needs to buy this house & save it from renovation! Only $21,300, if I had the cash, I’d buy it in a heartbeat!

hookedonhouses December 25, 2012 at 11:20 am

Wow! I can’t believe it’s only $21K. That’s amazing. LOVE that little pink kitchen!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com December 26, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Yes yes yes! Especially the cottage in The Holiday. I’m obsessed with that gorgeous little place.

Hope you had a beautiful Christmas.

Naribeth December 27, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I just happened to find this site by accident after doing a Google search trying to find out the name of the style of home featured in “Bringing Up Baby”. I stumbled onto a real gem. I love this site!!!!! I read a lot of comments on “Bringing Up Baby” and “Christmas in Connecticut”. Does anyone know what type of design style it is? I am looking for plans because I want to build my new home in this style. Have you ever thought about doing “When Ladies Meet” with Joan Crawford? Same style and I love it also! “People Will Talk” with Cary Grant and “Claudine” with Robert Young also have these type of homes. Thank you so much for this site!!!!!

hookedonhouses December 27, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I’m not sure what you’d call that style of house, but I love them. We need an expert to stop by here and give us the official name for them! :-)

Melanie December 31, 2012 at 11:39 am

The Stepmom house has always been one of my favorites. It always sticks out in my mind and it is absolutely gorgeous.

I’d love Iris’s little cottage too. With the fence and stone? Perfection!

{ 3 trackbacks }