The Cornish Cottage in the Demi Moore Movie “Half Light”

by hookedonhouses on August 13, 2012

Remember the romantic beach hut I showed you in North Cornwall where Kate Winslet spends her holidays? The rental listing for the cottage mentioned Demi Moore shot a movie there, but it didn’t say which one. Several helpful readers told me it was the 2006 mystery-thriller Half Light.

I had never seen the movie, so I had to check it out. And oh, wow, the settings and photography in it were stunning. I snapped some photos of the beach hut to show you how it looked in the film. Take a look!

I have to say I didn’t have high hopes for the movie itself. I just wanted to see what the beach hut looked like on film. But it sucked me right in and I couldn’t stop watching.

It’s the story of a best-selling mystery novelist named Rachel (Demi Moore) whose young son tragically drowns after she forgets to lock the gate behind her house in London.

Almost a year later, with a book deadline looming, she rents this remote cottage as a quiet place to write. It looks like the perfect spot to get away from it all…

But then some pretty creepy things start happening. Is her son’s ghost haunting her? Or is she losing her sanity?

I won’t spoil the ending for you (which I found pretty implausible), but it kept me on the edge of my seat.

What I really loved were the scenes in this Cornish cottage, which was beautifully styled for the movie.

Don Taylor was the Production Designer. The Set Decorator was John Bush.

Looked to me like they shot most of the scenes in the actual cottage.

They added a second story with a bedroom and bath for Rachel, though, that doesn’t exist in the actual house.

There’s also a gorgeous old lighthouse that plays a major role in the movie–too bad it was CGI generated and not real:

It came with a charming lighthouse keeper named Angus who was more than happy to show Rachel around…

Nothing in the lighthouse seemed quite as charming by the end of the movie, though. If you’ve seen it, you know what I mean!

The remote coastal setting was perfect for the story. In the beginning I was thinking, “It looks so lovely there. I’d never want to leave.” By the end I wanted to scream, “For Pete’s sake, get out of there!”

You can rent the beach cottage on your next vacation (if you dare, after seeing the movie!). To see how it looks in the rental listing and read more about it, check out my original post: A Romantic Beach Hut for Two on the Cornish Coast.

Hooked on Movie Houses?

Willow August 13, 2012 at 8:12 am

I have this movie and just love it. I wished they told more about the real ghost though. Just love the scenery and the cottage. I think I will take some time today and sit down with a cup of tea and watch the movie again. Thanks for sharing.

House Crazy Sarah August 13, 2012 at 8:28 am

Now I have to go and watch that movie – sounds like a bone-chiller! Love that cottage but it seems implausible that there would be a second floor (or even a finished attic) from the exterior shots!

Wednesday August 13, 2012 at 8:31 am

I watched this movie when it came out and was pleasantly surprised. It was a decent spooky ghost movie. Of course, I fell in LOVE with her cottage. Now I have a dream of actually renting it!

Kim August 13, 2012 at 9:04 am

I haven’t seen this movie yet, but it sounds good. I love that lighthouse. I think it would be cool to go inside one someday.

Renato Alves August 13, 2012 at 9:15 am

Julia
Interesting. The island in front of the house exists only in the movie. You can compare the pictures taken from the veranda. Also I believe that all the shots inside were made in a studio because the layout of the house is different. In the movie, the master bedroom has a door, in the pictures of the ral house, everything is one room. Very nice to compare!!
Thank you!
And watch the movie, is very good!!! With a twist, let me tell you: When she….
no no no
:P

hookedonhouses August 13, 2012 at 9:54 am

Yes, I think they added a second story in the movie with a bedroom and bath. Those scenes, at least, must have been on a soundstage. When she’s in the living room, though, it looks like the real cottage, although it’s possible they just replicated it closely.

Shabby Chick August 13, 2012 at 9:40 am

YIKES!!! I’ve never heard of this movie, but now I want to watch it! The setting is too gorgeous, but I wonder, if you lost a child to drowning would you really want to escape to a place that is surrounded by water? I think not. ;

hookedonhouses August 13, 2012 at 9:51 am

I wondered the same thing!

Stacia August 15, 2012 at 5:43 am

Thought the same thing. Great movie. I really wished they had showed more of her London home. I love how in London everything was crisp and bright and then the cottage becomes chilly and misty.
Did you notice how white Demi’s face was in some of the scenes? It made the island seem even colder.
Great movie, couldn’t stop watching it. Love, love, love that cottage. Especially her cottage writing table in front of the window.

Shannon August 13, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I haven’t seen the movie, but I can tell from looking at these stills that Something Ain’t Right about Angus.

Emma May 17, 2013 at 7:47 am

THAT was funny ! :)

Aaron @ QuinnImagery August 13, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Never saw the movie, but then again I am not really into ghostly scare flicks anyway. I do however love the cottage and location.
I wonder about erosion, being so close to the ocean waves. I’ve seen homes that have had to be picked up and moved further back from the beach because of it.

Jane August 13, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Love this place! Especially the door. Found a cache of old hand wrought thumb latches and my husband is slowly making doors for our cottage like that one. What could be more perfect than to live by the sea and have a view of a lighthouse?

Heather H August 13, 2012 at 2:49 pm

When I first saw the cottage on your previous post it really reminded me of the cottage in the book The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley, definitely worth a read!

Carolyn August 14, 2012 at 10:25 am

I read that book, and you’re right! Hadn’t thought about it, though, until your comment.

Leo Windham August 14, 2012 at 4:25 am

A great looking ocean front cottage Too bad it’s in a scary movie. those thriller movies make me nervous, but I enjoyed your photos of the cottage.

Haydee August 14, 2012 at 7:31 am

Thrilled that you’ve posted this…I’m in love with this house..you’re blog is terrific eye and brain candy.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com August 14, 2012 at 8:37 am

What an amazing location! :)

Carolyn August 14, 2012 at 10:30 am

Like the way it appears better in the movie stills than real life. Isn’t that usually the way? I prefer the multi-paned windows to the replacement ones in the real house. I’m sure the replacements are better at keeping out the chilly sea air, but I love the cottagey style of the old ones. Will have to check out the movie.

Anne August 14, 2012 at 11:05 am

I remember that movie, it was good! and i loved the setting of that cottage by the sea. It comes back as a visual to me when I read English mystery books, in fact!

Lezlee August 14, 2012 at 4:29 pm

THANKS Julia!

Always on the lookout for movie houses . . I just ordered this one from Amazon.

I’ll watch any movie that has a house/set designs that I like. I wish the TV series years back, ‘Jack and Bobby’, would come out on DVD. I loved that house! And the series was really GOOD!

cecile aix en provence August 15, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Hi! I just watched the movie on youtube and yes, woaw for the cottage but you didn’t talk about the canal side house in primerose hill; we don’t see much of it but it looks gorgeous as well, especially the outside. I searched it on web but I just founf one pic of the house from tourists blog so real disappointment, maybe you could do something about it. As for a clue it’s located on regent’s park road, nearby the roadbridge 15 between primerose hill and camden. Thank you.
By the way it’s a good movie!

foo August 16, 2012 at 11:39 am

dang, Netflix doesn’t have that movie for streaming. Have to find it some other way.

LouAnn August 18, 2012 at 10:57 am

Wow, I try to follow the Euro homes but missed this one entirely. Never heard of it. Naturally I love it and appreciate you sharing it-another great find. Ciao!

Bridget from Refined Vintage August 22, 2012 at 11:05 am

I have never heard of this movie but i saw your post and I love the scenery of that part of England, Si curiosity led me to your blog, I am so glad I found you!
Not only am I intrigued by the story line but now i want to see the house too. Thank you for sharing, I love all your house posts I have been reading old posts and pining away!

Kim September 25, 2012 at 10:17 am

I thought no one had seen this movie but me! I also liked her house in London. It would be great if you have some of those shots too!

Barbara Spell January 8, 2013 at 9:18 am

If you like filmed houses from Cornwall you have to check out the wonderful series, Doc Martin! I love the series which is about a doctor who has Asperger’s Syndrome and the fictional town of Portwenn, actually Port Isaac, Cornwall, are awesome with its charming cottages and stores. You can enjoy Doc Martin on Netflix.

hookedonhouses January 8, 2013 at 9:49 pm

That is a great show! Thanks, Barbara.

Allen526 May 15, 2013 at 9:10 am

You should do the Godfreys mansion on Hemlock Grove !!
Its a georgous 20’s estate The only thing is you have to have Netflix to watch
Love your site !!! keep up the good work !!

hookedonhouses May 15, 2013 at 10:07 am

Haven’t seen that yet. Thanks!

{ 6 trackbacks }