What Are Your Favorite Christmas-Movie Houses?

Hey, Guys! I could use your help. I’ve been asked to write a post for Zillow about the best Christmas-movie houses, and I’d love to hear your faves. I’m also trying to decide which ones to feature on Movie Mondays in December and am taking suggestions.

Here are 5 of my favorites I’ve already featured that I think should make the list. Vote to let me know which one should take the top spot (click the links to see interior photos).

White Christmas:

Home Alone:

A Christmas Story:

Christmas in Connecticut:

National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation:

House in lightsA couple more Christmas-movie houses I haven’t featured yet but have always liked are Holiday Inn and It’s a Wonderful Life, so I’m adding those to the poll. Vote below!
~

~
I’ve also featured some that were memorable for having great houses dolled up for the season, but probably aren’t thought of as strictly “Christmas movies” (although a few might be up for debate!):

The Holiday

Meet Me in St. Louis

While You Were Sleeping

Alvin & the Chipmunks

The Family Stone

Funny Farm

Stepmom

Every December I watch Funny Farm again. “Cue the deer!”

Any other classic Christmas-movie houses I’m forgetting about? Maybe Little Women? Let me know if you have any requests!

Comments

I think you should definitely add Little Women. What about The Bishop’s Wife (the original)? That is one of my favorite Christmas classics!

• Nate says

That’s always been one of my favorite houses! I’m trying to find out what house they used and if it’s possible to dig up plans for the house. I’d love to build one just like it.

2. Danielle says

What about the cute flats in “Love Actually?”. I love the chic, London look.

3. Robin says

Though not a Christmas Movie to some, “Heidi” with Shirley Temple is my all time favorite….and the Grandfather’s cabin on the mountain is sooooo cozy!

• kelly in georgia says

Oh yes! Love the Waltons and that home…boy that takes me back!

I’ve always loved the Home Alone movie house but this time I went with Christmas in Connecticut simply because I always imagine what this house would look like in color but not your typical reds and greens but green, silver and whites. I sometimes forget to keep up with the story when I’m watching this movie because I’m too busy daydreaming about the house…

5. Ann P says

Ed Asner & Maureen Stapleton were in a 1977 made-for-TV movie that had a GREAT house! “The Gathering” tells the story of a gruff man who learns how important it is to make amends and show the people in his life how much he loves them before it’s too late. It’s a three-hankie movie, for sure, but it has great characterization, wonderful acting & a compelling story line. It’s terribly dated except for the interior of the house where most of the story takes place – one of those classic homes that you should check out! (I found it on DVD a few years ago.)

6. Barbara says

I like the Little Women houses. Inside and out. Loved all those trees with snow on them.
    “Christmas won’t be Christmas without any presents.” Jo (Little Women)

Barbara

7. Cristy says

I second Little Women, and also the house from Santa Claus, The Movie (with Dudley Moore.)

8. Neesha says

The Family Stone, The Holiday off the top of my head. I just woke up so I’m not reliable… :)

I love the house in the movie, ‘Since You Went Away’ Some people consider it a wartime film rather than a holiday classic, but it ends on Christmas and TCM usually features it at Christmastime, so it’s Christmasy enough for me!

• Margot says

OOooooo! Me, too! I have LOVED “Since You Went Away” forever. It is my favorite movie! I paid a small fortune for it on VHS when it first came out on tape. I think Soda is absolutely the star of the film.

The house is pretty awesome, too. Love the master bedroom Col. Smallett takes up residence in. Good call, Paige!

10. Catherine says

I haven’t seen Christmas in Connecticut or White Christmas (watching them just became a goal for this month!), but have to vote for the house in Home Alone. What I wouldn’t give to have a house like that!

Miracle on 34th Street. I love that movie! It’s a classic. You could profile both Susan’s apartment and the house they end up buying. Such a classic. In her apartment I always noticed the drapes by the front door because it’s not something we see today.

• says

OMG, I love love love the house in the remake version (not the one with Natalie Wood) at the end of the movie. Gosh, I wish they would have had a spread on that one. Dreamy!

12. Linda Newey says

I just watched Family Stone the other night. The house is in need of a lot of updating BUT I like it how it is. It reminds me of how homes used to be… lived in and not a show piece. I could never live like that BUT I love that live in look.

13. Linda Newey says

Oh… and I love the house and apt. from the movie, While you were sleeping. Again, it has the lived in homey feel.

14. jan says

Naturally I must mention the “other” darker side of the Christmas movie house debate — the house from the classic movie “A Christmas Carol” with Alastair Sim (1951). The old, unloved and neglected mansion where miserly Scrooge lives is literally another character in this black-and-white movie … and so important to the whole story!

Holiday Inn is one of my all time favorite movies, and I LOVE that house.
    The Holiday house in Britain and the Family Stone house are great ones too. Oh and the house they win in Miracle on 34th street… classic! Does the story of The Horse in the Grey Flannel Suit incl. Xmas, cause that house [and stable!] is awesome too. *sigh*
    Thanks for putting me in the mood to search out my holiday DVDs, and to get decorating this house!!!

16. Claire says

I definitely consider The Family Stone to be a Christmas movie. That would be my vote – I love that house!

Love this post! I definitley agree with your picks. I’d add the Family Stone house (so cozy) and Susan’s apartment in Miracle on 34th Street. It’s classic AND it overlooks the parade route – what could be better?

18. Lindab says

I voted for White Christmas because it was the Dragonfly Inn and I am obsessed with Gilmore Girls.

19. Garrison says

Jane Wyman’s house in Douglas Sirk’s All That Heaven Allows (1955) is interesting in a retro-colonial sort of way. There are a few scenes that take place at Christmas. The movie was shot on Universal’s “Colonial Street” backlot which is now Wisteria Lane.

I love the house from Yours, Mine, and Ours…the Lucille Ball/Henry Fonda original version of the movie. LOVE that movie and that big old house.

21. Jane says

I love the house in Holiday Inn although the movie certainly isn’t politically correct. Of course, Christmas in Connecticut is wonderful too. Also love the farmhouse in Remember the Night and the little stable/studio in Come to the Stable.

• says

You’re right–it’s very politically INcorrect. I think that’s why “Holiday Inn” hasn’t held up as well as some other Christmas classics. I love the farmhouse inn, though, and the sweet romance between Bing Crosby and Marjorie Reynolds. Fred Astaire cracks me up in that one, too.

22. Tiffeni says

Several decades ago there was a made for TV movie (Canadian production I think) called “A Child’s Christmas In Wales”. It is based on the memoirs of Dylan Thomas. I watch it every year, still on VHS! I love the house they used, especially the living room/fireplace. The movie starts in the current year of late 1980s or early 1990s, then goes back to about 1910-ish. If you could show it on your Movie Mondays that would be great. Also, an idea would be old TV sitcoms at Christmas. That would be nice too. Thanks for the terrific website & Happy Holidays to you & your family.

• says

Tiffeni, yes yes yes! A Child’s Christmas in Wales was a Canadian/UK production from 1987 and is absolutely lovely. For anyone who wants a little time travel back to Christmas in Edwardian times this can’t be beat. Makes me want to go back to Wales.

“Mr. Daniel looks like a spaniel!”

P.S. Available on DVD now too!

• Jane says

Hi Julia! I just bought A Child’s Christmas DVD at K-Mart of all places. It was on a DVD with several Christmas movies for $5! I think the other Christmas movies were Hallmark ones.

• says

Thanks for reminding me of this wonderful movie, Tiffeni, as it is one I had heard about but never got the opportunity to watch. Will definitely try to find it for this Christmas. Also, great idea re highlighting Christmas episodes of old TV sitcoms.

23. Cristina says

One of our favorite Christmas movies of all time is The Ref ,with Kevin Spacey and Denis Leary, and the house and town they feature is STUNNING. It’s a hilarious and beautiful movie. If you haven’t seen it, add it to the queue!

I remember liking the house Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis had in Christmas with the Kranks. Specifically, there was a very nice master suite/dressing room. It is so nice to have a place to admit to liking houses!

25. Julie says

Definitely Little Women! (The one with Winona Ryder.) I watch that movie every Christmas just for the house.

26. Kim says

There are so many movie houses I like. I love the ones from “Home Alone”, “White Christmas”, “It’s a Wonderful Life”, “Christmas Vacation”, “Stepmom”, Little Women (the 1994 version), “The Bishop’s Wife”, “Jingle All the Way”, “One Magic Christmas” (it has some neat houses), “The Christmas Box” (has a beautiful Tudor mansion in it), Home Alone 3, (not as good as the first two movies, but the houses were beautiful), “Miracle on 34th Street” “Meet Me in St. Louis” and more. Hallmark puts out some Christmas movies that have beautiful houses in them. One I really like is “Hallmark Hall of Fame: A Season for Miracles”. It has a beautiful Victorian home.

If I had to pick just a few, these would be them in no particular order:
    1. Home Alone
    2. It’s A Wonderful Life
    3. White Christmas
    4. Christmas Vacation
    5. Little Women 1994
    6. The Christmas Box
    7. Meet Me in St. Louis
    8. Stepmom
    9. Jingle All the way

Years ago in 1990 they aired “Christmas on Ice” a comedy and music holiday special starring the classic Disney characters and world champion skaters. We recorded it on our VCR and watched it a lot during the Christmas season until one day it broke. I loved the Victorian home in it and hoped that I could find the movie. I’ve tried to find it on VHS and DVD, but it’s nowhere to be found.

• says

I agree, Hallmark Christmas movies have great houses! I couldn’t remember the names of the movies, though. Ha

• Johanna says

I was so glad to see your comment about the Hallmark Movie “A Season for Mircales” do you happen to known where the Victorian home is located? I tried to find the town and the house where them filmed the movie?

27. Jan says

If you need a movie house for New Year’s Eve, the Cary Grant/Katharine Hepburn film, “Holiday” would fill the bill.

• says

That one has been in my Netflix queue since LAST December. I need to watch it! Hard to beat a Cary Grant-Katharine Hepburn movie.

• Richard Orton says

That house is huge, more like a museum. I think it’s the biggest house I’ve ever seen in a movie. But it is a wonderful movie and the playroom is the best part of the house.

28. Brenda says

Our favorite Xmas movies, The Holiday..love the houses…Family Stone….a cozy house and Love Actually…a taste of British decoration.

My absolute favorite is the Home Alone house….my kids always laugh at me because all through the movie I point out to them how the entire house is decorated with a red/green theme! I used to wonder was I the only one to notice that!?!

30. Joyce Michelin says

While I feel like a real Jezebel betraying the White Christmas inn, which I adore, I had to settle on the Christmas In Connecticut farmhouse. I always felt the looming rooms, slanting walls and huge supporting beams and shelves coming every which way, must feel like being protected by a man with these great, wonderful shoulders when you walked into the house. Light a fire, pull up a book, and snuggle up in one of those cushy couches, while Macushla misses me in the barn…. (Yes, I watched alot of tv growing up.)

• says

Love your description of the Connecticut farmhouse! So true. I grew up dreaming about having grown-up Christmases in a house like that… :-)

31. Trisha says

I was thinking of the movie Stepmom because of the beautiful Christmas setting. That house really responded well to the snow and holiday decor! So, I’m glad you included it in your “not-famous-for-being-Christmas-movies” list. The National Lampoons house is still a beautiful house, tacky lights aglow or not!

I have always loved the christmas in conneticut house and the meet me in st.louis house. They look like they should be on a christmas card!! Your blog is my favorite Julia, thanks for all you do!!!! Last year I had foot surgery which turned into 3 and couldn’t walk for 11 1/2 months so you really kept me from going insane!!!!!!!

33. Al says

I love the professor’s cozy little apartment in The Bishop’s Wife, where Dudley and Julia drank the wine that kept replenishing itself in the bottle. He had a small fireplace and a couple of chairs by the fire, one of which was broken.

34. Kellypny says

My favorite Christmas movie is While You Were Sleeping, but I also love Sleepless in Seattle and When Harry Met Sally. Great homes in all of these movies.

35. Kristen says

The 90’s version of Miracle on 34th street. The house at the end was beautiful!

36. E. George says

Hi Julia where do you begin there are so many christmas movies its hard to keep up with you girls. I love The Family Stone and 90’s version of Miracle on 34th. You know what my husband bought me Nigella Christmas DVD a couple of years ago I still don’t know what she is cooking too busy looking at all her Christmas decor it is absolutely beautiful. If you ever get a chance after watching all these movies give it a whirl if it’s available in US you won’t be sorry (WARNING it didn’t improve my cooking). Regards Esther from Sydney. PS I know you will pick the best movie.

Yes! Little Women! I was just watching the Christmas part last night, and looking at the house all decorated for Christmas. It’s beautiful!

38. Debbie Braun says

My favorite Christmas movies are The Bishop’s Wife (1947), The Ref (1994) and Miracle on 34th Street (the 1994 remake). They all have lovely homes.
    Hope this helps!
    Have a wonderful holiday!

• Ana says

I can’t believe this is the first mention of The Ref! That one is absolutely my first choice. Great house and great holiday decorating.

39. A. Raines says

Though this is not necessarily categorized as a Christmas movie, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil begins with a lavish Christmas party in The Mercer House, in Savannah, Georgia.

Ever seen the movie “Crush” with Andie MacDowell? Her English cottage is so warm and charming. I recall a Christmas scene. I would love to see it featured in a movie house Monday. Love the homes you’ve mentioned as well.

Cristine

Miracle on 34th Street has nice apartments and the single family at the end. I can only immediately recall the newer movie, and I remember thinking to myself I liked the homes.

Hi,

Love all of these but I love the English cottage in the movie The Holiday!

Thank you for sharing.
    Claudia

43. Marisa Melillo says

THE BISHOP’S WIFE with Gary Grant,Loretta Young and David Niven is a great Christmas movie with two very different houses in it.

44. Julie B. [Holland] says

I vote for Home Alone, and The Holiday and Stepmom for the houses and content of the movies, but adore Christmas in Connecitcut and White Christmas. Happy Holidays !

45. Allie says

I love Little Women and Meet Me in St. Louis…though I know that includes many holidays.

• Angela says

Hi Julia, thanks so much for your fabulous site. I’m writing this from Australia where Christmas is anything but snowy – instead we don our swimmers and head for the beach! Apart from one Christmas spent in England that’s all I’ve known. Yet, somehow, the idea of sitting around an open fire, watching the falling snow still (oddly) typifies my image of Christmas. I love the Christmas movies with romantic houses clothed in glittering lights, twinkling against a blanket of white. Doesn’t make sense, I know. I’m almost 61, but I haven’t given up on the idea of experiencing a white Christmas some day. So, my vote is for all of the houses on your list – dressed in lights and covered in snow they’re all beautiful to me.

46. Richard says

“White Christmas” and “Holiday Inn” would be my choices. I am a window freak and those 2 films have large divided light windows, arched at the top that I find very appealing. Also White Christmas has that wonderful scene where Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney sit by a romantic open fire (with a copper hood as remember) snacking on milk and sandwiches, singing “Count Your Blessing instead of Sheep”. Ever notice in that movie Bing plays “Bob” and Rosemary’s character’s name is “Betty”? In real life Bing had a brother Bob and Rosemary had a sister named Betty.

47. Kim says

The house I have been trying to find picture of is from “The Christmas Card.” It is my newest favorite movie. The home is a log cabin set in Nevada City. I love your blog! Have a great holiday season. Kim

48. ann says

Holiday Inn is the house I would love to re-create for my own. Gorgeous windows!

49. LuckyMe61 says

So many great Christmas movies and houses, but my all time favourite is Meet Me in St. Louis. Though not strictly a Christmas movie, the climax of the story happens around Christmas and who can forget Judy Garland singing Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas to Tootie in that heartbreaking scene. I grew up in a family of eight kids (6 girls, 2 boys) and I would have loved a grand house like that for our family!

Thanks so much for your amazing blog – I am so addicted to it!!

50. Stella says

The 2007 film “This Christmas” features a beautiful L.A. Craftsman house.

My most favorite is “Miracle on 34th Street” with Natalie Wood, 2nd is “The Christmas Clause” with Tim Allen, 3rd is “It’s a Wonderful Life” with Jimmy Stewart, 4th is the “Christmas Story” with Darren McGavin, 5th is “Jack Frost” with Michael Keaton, 6th is the “Christmas Story” with Darren McGavin, 7th is “Home Alone” and 8th is Tom Hank’s “The Polar Express”.

52. Beth A says

“The Homecoming: A Christmas Story”, is a 1971 movie with Patricia Neal and Richard Thomas. It was the pilot for The Waltons, and is a terrific book as well as a movie. It’s The Depression, it’s Christmas Eve, there’s a blizzard, and John Boy goes out searching for Daddy.

For a family of ten who always seemed to be broke, they had such a lovely and spacious five-bedroom farmhouse. Wonderfully huge kitchen, and a massive front porch.

53. Lauren says

“While You Were Sleeping” is hands down my favorite Winter Holiday movie. “Home Alone,” is a quite distant second.

Julia – love love all these homes featured in these classics….Holiday Inn and Christmas in Connecticut are favorites personally but StepMom and The Holiday are more-modern faves! Love this time of year.

55. Lynn Clapper says

So happy to know that someone else remembers the house from “The Gathering.” It is ann absolutely beautiful Christmas movie.

56. Sarah says

Not a Christmas move but LOVE sally Field’s house in Steel Magnolias.

57. jennifer says

i love the house in The Family Stone, and i believe that is classified as a Christmas movie.

58. Sharrieboberry says

I enjoy the bishop’s home in the 1947 The Bishop’s Wife!

I love the David Niven and Loretta Young’s house in The Bishop’s Wife. It’s even more gorgeous when Cary Grant visits!!

60. Terri says

“Christmas in Connecticut” is my all time favorite Christmas house, with “Holiday Inn” coming in second. Both epitomize what Christmas feels like emotionally – the security of being warm inside with those you love. Particularly with “Christmas in Connecticut”, the interiors don’t feel stale or outdated, they just look like home.

61. Maureen says

I grew up not too far from the Home Alone house and I drive by it quite a bit.

62. Bob says

I’ve been trying to find more about the house used as the Bishop’s rsidence in the Bishop’s Wife. It seems according to TCM that it was merely several sets strung together. It looks to well matched to be such a thing. Does anyone know anything more about this conumdrum? I’m betting it’s in a subutb of New York.

63. Virginia says

For a wonderful movie home you have to explore, “When Ladies Meet” the 1941 version. Spring Byingtons summer home is amazing, water wheel and all . A must see.

64. Kitty says

Where is the house featured in the movie The Christmas Box. I am sure this house has been in another movie but don’t remember which one. I love Tudor homes and this one is one of the best.

We have a family tradition of watching Christmas movies over the week leading up to the holiday. I would have to say my favorites are Elf, Home Alone, and Rudolf. Here is list and complete run down of my top 11 Christmas movies http://bit.ly/rzH23s

66. Janice says

I had never heard of the move Funny Farm, until you mentioned it here. I ordered it, and we laughed and laughed watching it last night. We’ve been watching so many sad Christmas movies the last while, it was great to have a good chuckle. Loved the farm too!!!!! Thanks for the heads up.

67. Renee says

What about the Hallmark show, “A Christmas Card”? It’s the most cozy, beautiful cabin outside of Nevada City. I absolutely love that house!