“Baby Mama:” Tina Fey’s Rittenhouse Square Apartment in Philadelphia

by hookedonhouses on November 14, 2011

Last week we took a look back at Andie MacDowell’s apartment in Green Card, and a lot of you suggested other great movie apartments you’d like to see. I was surprised by how many requests I got for the Tina Fey-Amy Poehler comedy Baby Mama. I didn’t remember much about it, so I took another look.

Fey plays Kate, a single woman in her late ’30s who wants a baby and hires Angie (Poehler) as her surrogate. Her apartment is nice, neat, and perfectly decorated, like pages ripped out of a Pottery Barn catalog–at least until Angie moves in and starts sticking her gum under Kate’s reclaimed barn-wood coffee table…

The movie is set in Philadelphia but most of it was filmed in New York (with some location shots from PA). The apartment interiors were built on a soundstage in Brooklyn.

Kate lives near Rittenhouse Square, but Angie comes from South Philly.

The front lobby of Kate’s fancy, schmancy apartment:

Greg Kinnear plays Kate’s love interest, Rob. Here he is in the entrance to her apartment:

In this behind-the-scenes shot of them filming in the entry hall, you can see their marks on the floor:

The living room:

Kate discovers the wads of chewing gum stuck underneath her coffee table and isn’t pleased:

In this shot from behind the scenes you can see into the dining area off the living room:

The balcony outside the apartment, off the living room:

It was hard to get a good photo of Kate’s fabulous kitchen. Here’s one from the “making of” featurette on the DVD:

Kate has a Viking kitchen. Viking reportedly provided “a range, refrigerator, beverage center, trash compactor and dishwasher for the set.” Lucky girl!

One of my favorite features in the kitchen is this swinging door with the little porthole window:

The kitchen seems huge, especially for a one-bedroom apartment in the city. What would she do with all that storage?

Kate’s Bedroom:

After Angie moves in, she takes over the bedroom and makes Kate sleep on the sofa in the living room.

Susan Bode-Tyson was the Set Decorator. She told the SDSA: “Kate is a very buttoned-up, organized person. The set was originally mildly interesting, but when the Angie character moves in with her, you get a sense of their very different worlds. And their worlds somewhat collide.”

You can see a couple of set photos of the bedroom on the SDSA website.

Angie tries to get the baby lock off the toilet (I hate those things!):

I loved Rob’s (Greg Kinnear’s) townhouse, too, and wished we could have seen a little more of it than just the exterior and the kitchen:

The backsplash tile looks almost silver:

You guys gave me so many ideas for great movie apartments that maybe I’ll feature another one next week. Maybe When Harry Met Sally? Or Just Like Heaven?

P.S. Every day my inbox fills up with emails asking me whether I’ve featured this, that, or the other movie house. I keep a handy list with links to all of them on my TV/Movie Houses page, in alphabetical order, so if you’re looking for something, check there! :-)

Brandon @ Southgate November 14, 2011 at 8:40 am

If you want a fabulous movie apartment, the set from the old John Hughes movie “Curly Sue” can not be beat. I remembered it fondly, and took another look recently, and it surprisingly timeless for a set going on 20 years old.

hookedonhouses November 14, 2011 at 11:06 am

I’ve never seen that one but occasionally get requests for it. I’ll have to check it out one of these days!

Lindab November 15, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Loved Curly Sue!

Shannon November 14, 2011 at 8:50 am

Oh, I’ve always liked the one from Just Like Heaven!

hookedonhouses November 14, 2011 at 11:07 am

I’m going to watch it again this week and see if I can get enough good photos of it. If I can, I’ll feature it!

Paula Rutland November 14, 2011 at 9:36 am

Could you possibly get pictures of the fabulous New York apartment in the film “A Perfect Murder”. Absolutely stunning!

hookedonhouses November 14, 2011 at 11:06 am

Just added it to my Netflix queue!

shabbychick November 14, 2011 at 11:18 am

I adore this movie…the apartment, Gwyneth’s wardrobe, the suspense, LOVED it!

Karen November 15, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Especially the bathtub…it’s on my wish list for “someday”!!

elizabeth November 14, 2011 at 10:14 am

I always loved the paint color of Kate’s apartment in Baby Mama. Does anyone know what it is? Also, the tile in Rob’s apartment is a a stainless mini subway tile that is run vertically. (I have the same tile in my kitchen.)

hookedonhouses November 14, 2011 at 11:05 am

Well, that explains why it looks silver–it is! Thanks, Elizabeth. Wish I knew what the paint color was, but I don’t. Kind of reminds me of the “Pecan” color in my family room by Eddie Bauer, but it’s probably a little darker than that.

Shea November 14, 2011 at 10:28 am

I love the swinging door with the porthole window also. Where can you purchase those?

hookedonhouses November 14, 2011 at 11:05 am

No idea, but I love it!

Amy November 14, 2011 at 11:16 am

Michelle Pfeiffer’s (Catwoman’s) apartment in Batman Returns (1992). The cutest, coziest, pinkest apartment I have ever seen. It looks like it was decorated from yardsale purchases. Very real and charming.

Cheryl November 14, 2011 at 11:34 am

I just finsished reading Tina’s book “Bossypants” this weekend. I recommend it, it’s a nice light read with many laugh out loud moments – seriously, real belly laughs. A Mother’s Prayer For Her Child is without doubt my favourite passage in the book. If you don’t have the book google the prayer – it’s funny because it’s true.

Love the swinging door, it’s so Threes Company-esque!!

Colleen November 14, 2011 at 11:47 pm

I listened to it on a flight to Tampa last spring. I was shaking with the effort of trying to control my laughter and grimacing…like you do. The woman sitting next to me asked if I was okay!

hookedonhouses November 15, 2011 at 7:10 am

Too funny, Colleen!

Kari @ Beautiful Inspirations November 14, 2011 at 11:54 am

I JUST watched this movie last night and was wondering if there was some way to contact you and ask about it. I opened my reader this morning, and here you are featuring it!

I love her apartment in this movie. Some of it is a bit stuffy, and obviously unrealistic, but I love it. I love her bathroom (minus the peed in sink, haha), and a lot of her furniture.

Last year my husband and I built the same bed that she has in this movie ourselves, for about $1500 less. We love it :)

hookedonhouses November 14, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I just had a feeling you’d want to see this today, Kari, so I whipped a post up about it, just for you! :-)

That’s a great bed. Lucky you!

Molly @thewaffler November 14, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I loved the movie but must have missed how gorgeous the Tina Fey character’s kitchen was. I’m also considering a coffee table (rustic wood with steel frame) much like hers. Do you think it will look dated in ten years?

hookedonhouses November 14, 2011 at 1:07 pm

It’s definitely trendy right now, but I’m not sure that something like that would stick out like a sore thumb in ten years like some other trends would. If you love it, I say go for it!

Amanda @ Serenity Now November 14, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I love her coffee table and also the swinging door in the kitchen. I was just thinking last night that the houses on Desperate Housewives’ Wisteria Lane would be a fun post. :)

Kayla November 15, 2011 at 9:31 am

I would love to see the houses from Desperate Housewives, also!!!

Kim November 14, 2011 at 2:57 pm

What gorgeous apartments. I can’t choose which one I like the best because I like them both in there own ways.

Anne C. November 14, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Thank you for posting this!!! I love this apartment- so excited to see it here. I agree with the above comment about “The Perfect Murder”– that apratment is to die for– no pun intended :)

Jean November 14, 2011 at 4:27 pm

My favorite apartment home – Mia Farrow’s, “Hannah And Her Sisters”

Bre November 14, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Awesome post, Julia! This movie was really hilarious and I loved Kate’s apartment. The kitchen is amazing (Viking appliances?! Yes please!) and I liked the juxtaposition of her buttoned up personality clashing with Angie’s personality. The babyproofed toilet was too funny! It’s interesting to learn that it was shot in NYC, it reminded me so much of Philly! I would love to see the apartments from both When Harry Met Sally AND Just Like Heaven!

lana @ making a house a home November 14, 2011 at 11:50 pm