Jennifer Lopez’s Brownstone in “The Back-up Plan”

The 2010 romantic comedy The Back-up Plan starring Jennifer Lopez and Alex O’Loughlin didn’t get great reviews, but a lot of my readers gave the set design two thumbs up. I finally had a chance to watch the movie myself this weekend and get some photos of Zoe’s apartment in New York City for you.

First off, does the front of her brownstone look familiar?

According to On the Set New York, it’s only two doors down from Carrie Bradshaw’s apartment in “Sex and the City” (70 Perry Street and Bleecker Street in Manhattan).

The real interiors of this apartment weren’t used for the movie, though–they were created at Warner Bros. studios in California.

The Production Designer for this movie was Alec Hammond, and the Set Decorator was Kathy Lucas. Interestingly, the project Lucas worked on before this one was The Ugly Truth.

It was great seeing Linda Lavin as Lopez’s “Nana” in this movie. I grew up watching reruns of her sitcom “Alice” that seemed to play on an endless loop in the afternoons (“Kiss my grits!”). Tom Bosley played Lavin’s boyfriend in the movie. This was his final role before his death last year at the age of 83.

When the camera pans up the exterior of the brownstone and looks through a window, we can see the sofa in Zoe’s living room:

The Back-up Plan was supposed to be Jennifer Lopez’s “movie comeback.” Her last one had been El cantante in 2006 with husband Marc Anthony (the couple recently announced their split). She had taken time off to be with her twins Max and Emme (you can see their nursery here).

In this shot of Zoe sitting in her dining room, you can see that it opens into her bedroom without any doors between the two (a reader points out that there were probably pocket doors that were just not used):

A quick shot of the fireplace in the dining room:

The kitchen seems pretty big for a city apartment. One thing I learned from this movie is that there must be a lot money in running an “ethical pet store” like Zoe does. 😉

Did you know Alex O’Loughlin is Australian? One of his first roles was as part of the “kissing couple” (that’s how he was billed) in The Holiday. Now he plays Steve McGarrett in the new version of “Hawaii Five-O.”

Zoe’s bathroom has blue and red tile:

Her bedroom has an upholstered headboard that I’ve gotten a lot of emails about–everyone seems to love it and want one just like it:

UPDATE: A reader found the bed at Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams. It’s called the Celina bed (thanks, Katy!):

At the end of the movie, we get a glimpse into a room off the dining room that I don’t think we’d seen before, which has now become a nursery for the twins:

Check out Jennifer Lopez’s new house in California, where she moved after taking the job on “American Idol” last year.

Julia-simple-teal-signature2

A League of Their Own house
It had been years since I saw the 1992 movie A League of Their Own, about the first professional women's baseball league in the U.S.…
A Real Life UP Disney Movie House in Utah
Last month when I told you about the real-life "Up" house that Bangerter builders created in Utah, the interiors weren't finished yet. I asked if…

Comments

I saw this movie and I actually liked it. I mean, it’s a romantic comedy… we all know what happens at the end, but that’s what’s cool and light about it. :-)

The apartment was very charming! Thank you for putting this post together, Julia!

Have a blessed week.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

2. nanne says

hurray for movie mondays!! thanks julia!

nanne in columbus, indiana

3. Neesha says

I actually enjoyed this movie. Maybe I’m just a sucker for romcoms but I haven’t really seen a lot I didn’t like. :) I also drooled over her apartment and wondered just how much she earns LOL

Looks like there are pocket doors between the bedroom and dining room. :) Looks like I’ll be perusing the real estate in NYC for a great part of the afternoon! Thanks, Julia!

Hi Julia,
    I’m one of the many who asked you for photos of this appartment – I love it!
    Thanks so much for featuring it.
    ~Sam

I’m always amused by that discrepancy in movies, between the work they do and the home they have! But it is the movies after all!! Janell

I have not seen the movie if you can believe it! I will now though.

Love the apartment!

PS I adore Linda Lavin!!

xoxo
    Karena

Art by Karena

I didn’t see the movie (now I will) but love Alex O’Loughlin… he is in Hawaii Five-O isn’t he? I like the mid-century modern chandelier in the dining room.

9. Janice Mahon says

I check daily into the Brooklyn NYC website http://www.brownstoner.com. An interesting site if you are interested in old Brooklyn architecture, and brownstones and co-ops that are on the market. Let’s see, if I had between two and three million, I might be living in Brooklyn!

I love Hollywood’s unrealistic professions vs standard of living! The sets would be so boring if they were more realistic.

ps – now that you have provided the link for NYC Film Locations, I can kiss the rest of my day goodbye…

11. Kim says

I don’t think there is two fireplaces in the dining room. I think the blue fireplace you could see in that shot is actually the breakfast bar. You can see the bar stool as well as the handles. :) Great post as always Julia!

• says

I could have sworn there was a blue fireplace in there, too, but I just checked again and I think you’re right! Thanks for pointing that out, Kim. -Julia

I really liked the movie, I only rented it because Alex O’Loughlin was in it ( I love him in Hawaii 5-0). I was so glad I did because I also fell in love with the apartment.

Can’t wait to see your post on The Ugly Truth. I’m sure it will have some good info.
    A while back I posted pics of the apartment from The Ugly Truth. I love that apt. too!

Great Movie Monday post, Julia! I loved Jennifer’s home in this movie, and I too was obsessed with her headboard. I have a thing about headboards, I don’t know why. (I love her headboard and Carrie and Big’s headboard in the second S&TC movie). I love her kitchen and both her fireplaces. This movie was actually kind of cute, if predictable. Love the pic of him reading to the twins-so sweet! :)

P.S. Of course you know I loved her makeup in this movie, that goes without saying! haha

14. Neesha says

She looked gorgeous in this movie and I loved her outfits too. Yup, definitely wanna know how much her character made annually LOL

15. Kim says

Great movie post! When you first asked if the exterior looked familiar, I immediately thought of “The Cosby Show”, but both exteriors are different.

I have not seen this movie, but the sets look very nice. The apartment looks like it would be a comfortable place to live.

I haven’t seen this movie, but the apartment looks very charming and cozy. I especially love the couch! Thanks for posting!

it was just alright. there was a scene (the birth scene) that had me and my best friend totally cracking up. like you said it was completely unrealistic for a pet shop owner to have an apartment like that…oh and the outfits that she wore didn’t match up either. who needs 3″ heels to run a pet store? love her on idol. hope she comes back!!

18. Catherine says

I enjoyed this film. That said, it makes me happy to see such a focus on books in the nursery. But I find it difficult to believe that their collection would really be quite that large in just a few months? But then, I don’t have their budget! 😉

19. Catherine says

Oh, man…I HATE it when people end a statement with a question-mark, so I must clarify that yes, I edited the sentence and then forgot to proof-read. :-s

on books: this was set in nyc. totally possible she has friends in publishing who can stuff a box full of copies lying around in ten minutes. i’ve been doing it for my friends for years.

21. Nita says

I’ve stopped watching movies about unmarried pregnant women. Tiring. But, I like her drapes in the bedroom, the fireplace and the headboard. I want one too. This is not an apt. that any person who worked or maybe even owned an ethical pet store could afford in NYC. These days for sure.

22. Nita says

Janice,

I like that brownstone site but not all the photos are loading. I wonder why.

23. Annabelle says

Costco has a pretty similar headboard (minus the accent tacks) on their website. Search for “Napa headboard” and you will find it. Pretty good price too! (Can you tell what I have been shopping around for lately?) Love your blog!

24. Annabelle says

Clarification: Costco’s item that lists just the headboard (not headboard and bed) actually has “nail button trim” and you can see it in a detail. The bed item doesn’t list it or have a detail of it.

Thank you! I have been saying “Kiss my grits!” for years, but couldn’t remember where I’d got it from. Alice. Of course! :)

26. Fatemeh says

Thanks a lot
    I am an architect and Iwas searching for several days after watching the movie for the apartment facade cause it was so beutifull.
    thanks a lot for your helpfull information