The Louisiana Farmhouse Where “Secretariat” Was Filmed

Filming location for movie "Secretariat" in Louisiana

I was excited to hear that the farmhouse where they filmed the movie Secretariat is on the market so we can see what it looks like off-screen. This is where most of the interior scenes of the Chenery family’s farmhouse were shot.

They used a different exterior in the movie, however, that looked like this:

Farmhouse from the movie "Secretariat"

The movie is the inspiring true story of how Penny Chenery, played by Diane Lane, saves her ailing father’s stables when Secretariat becomes the first Triple Crown winner in 25 years.

Farmhouse from the movie "Secretariat"

This is about as close as the camera ever lets us get to the front of the white farmhouse:

Farmhouse in movie "Secretariat"

They used this red-brick house for the interiors, which were filmed on location in Lafayette, Louisiana:

Here are some of the listing photos:

To the right of the entry hall is the dining room:

The living room in the listing:

We get a look inside the kitchen at the beginning of the movie:

Farmhouse kitchen in the movie "Secretariat"

They covered the modern stainless-steel fridge with paneled doors for the film. Here’s how it looks in the listing today:

I love this kitchen. Gorgeous.

There are 4 bedrooms and 4.5 baths. Here are some of them shown in the listing:

It’s interesting to see how filmmakers gave a retro look to the rooms in subtle ways. For example, check out this corner with the three windows in the movie:

Diane Lane in "Secretariat" farmhouse

And compare that to how it looks today, in the listing, looking more modern with just a few changes:

One of my favorite features in the house is this long screened porch. Here’s how it looks in the movie, leading off of the kitchen:

Diane Lane in Secretariat movie

Diane Lane in Secretariat movie farmhouse screened porch

It looks so different in the listing without all of the furniture, framed photos, and shutters covering the screens that I wasn’t sure if it was the same porch or not at first. The ceiling fans are the same, though, as is that big black door that connects to the kitchen, and the screened panels match with the same arches at the top. It goes to show how much work can go into transforming a room for a movie!

The house sits on over an acre of land, but there are no stables or horses to be seen.

For more photos and information, check the listing by Penny McGehee of Van Eaton & Romero Realtors. I would love to track down the house they used for the exterior scenes, too, so if anyone has any info about it, let us know! :-)

Julia-simple-teal-signature2

P.S. Visit Houses Onscreen to see more, including…

It's Complicated movie Spanish ranch

The Equestrian Ranch where It’s Complicated was Filmed

Sleeping with the Enemy Cape Cod Beach House
When Julia Roberts fakes her own death in the 1991 movie Sleeping With the Enemy, she flees this contemporary Cape Cod beach house where she…
Contemporary House from Harrison Ford Movie "Firewall"
The 2006 Harrison Ford thriller Firewall isn't the kind of movie I'd typically sit down and watch. I like Harrison Ford, but when I heard…

Comments

This is crazy– I was just coming to your site today to ask if you had ever found anything on this house– I LOVE this house– just gorgeous! Thank you!!

What a delight to find this post today. I live about an hour from the real Meadow farm where Secretariat was born. It was sold a few years ago, and the land is now the site of the Virginia State Fair. The developers did a pretty good job of preserving what they could of the horse farm feel of the place, but it’s still pretty depressing to see the wonderful green fields and white fencing replaced by parking lots and display buildings. Here’s a link to the site: http://www.meadoweventpark.com/

I adored Secretariat as a young girl and I even have a scrapbook filled with articles about him. This wonderful film took me right back to that exciting time in my childhood. I loved the way they made this house look so 70’s. The Tweedy House (I always knew her as Penny Tweedy) was a pretty cool 70’s look too!

Thanks Julia for a trip down memory lane. Great film if others haven’t seen it!

Beautiful home! I’m embarrassed to admit but I haven’t seen Secretariat yet. Which is funny because I’m a real horse lover and remember when he won the Triple Crown. It is now on my Netflix list and I moved it up to the top! :-)

Oh, the outside of this house looks like mine! Well, except the little wooden bumpouts on each side! You can see mine, if you want to, under my header under “My Home”. Now the inside is another issue! I would think I’d died and gone to heaven to have a gorgeous kitchen like this! I love it that you show us all these great houses.
    Hope you had a nice Memorial Day.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia 😉

Just saw this Friday night. I have come to the self-actualization that I am a total real estate GEEK! I can’t watch a movie without analyzing and critiquing the houses (I can usually spot where the exterior doesn’t match the interior.
    This house is nice, but the Tweedy’s mid-century ranch really had me drooling. There are a few houses like that here in Columbus, OH, but sad to admit I haven’t seen the interior of any of them.

7. florencia says

i love your blog, and i was trying to find images of a house i loved and i couldn’t find them anywhere, i love how jennifer aniston’s house in the switch was decorated, do you have any idea how i could find it? cause you are great at that!
    thank you for an amazing blog!

I loved the movie :-) Thanks for taking us on a tour of the house they used. I had no idea it’s in Louisiana! I love the long porch area in the movie, and how it just oozes with all things horsey :-)

What a gorgeous house, I loved the movie and I love the house even more – I would move there today!! What a fabulous kitchen to cook in – YUM
    Mary

Great post Julia! I never got to see the movie, so I really enjoyed this. What a gorgeous home! The movie version and the real one for sale! That perfectly appointed kitchen is amazing, and that bathroom looks like a in-home spa. Love the windows and hard wood floors. Through your website I am definitely learning more about my taste and style, thank you so much for that! Hope you had an awesome holiday weekend!

we just rewatched this movie this weekend. it’s so good. i really noticed the house and property because it was set in VA. we are moving to richmond later this summer. bummer it’s not the actual land with the horses from the movie. i hate how movies do that all the time. love the new kitchen.

Love the exterior/other house better than the interior of this house/interior set..although I’m in love with the island in the kitchen. :)

Diane Lane is my favorite actress, I wish she was in more movies.

13. Kim says

What a great house! I fell in love with it the moment I watched the movie. Too bad we can’t find the home used as the exterior. I’m sure it’s a beautiful home.

14. Tori says

Are these interiors the same as the movie “Something to Talk About” with Julia Roberts?
    They sure look familiar.

• Prissy says

Hi Tori!
      It’s actually my home and no, this house has not been in any other movies!

15. Lynette says

Love the movied, Love the House, Love your Post! The house they used for the exterior is local as well…I’ll try to find out more info for you!
    Lynette

16. Lynette says

In addition to the exterior home, and the interior home, many other scenes were filmed here in Lafayette, La., including alot of the racing scenes, it was the really neat to watch and recognize alot of the local spots. I actually watched the movie 3 times, and each time recognized something new!
    Lynette

We just watched this movie last Friday night!! My almost 8-year-old son was in charge of the movie choice and he loves all horse movies, so he chose Secretariat. As I was watching the movie, I was *loving* the house and thought of your website…which I have never done before! (I’m not one to notice movie houses so much.) And lo and behold, here you are posting all about that awesome house! Kinda cool, I think. :) Thanks for all your research.

18. E. George says

Hi Julia is it ok to use the word perfection for this house? I have to admit I have never heard of this movie or story. I’m on a mission to find this movie. Thank you Julia this was a beautiful blog. Regards Esther from gloomy Sydney.

This is a great post. We just watched that movie, last week! Loved it. This is such a beautiful home. That kitchen is absolutely perfect. I love the way the whole house is decorated, today.

20. Rick says

Julia,
    Richmar Stables in Opelousas LA, were used for the exteriors of the Meadow farm.

The Porch photo you show off the kitchen has a double door with etched/frosted glass. they open into kitchen, you can see glass in one of the shots.
    The black door(s) you see in the house listing is the one Diane is walking through.
    They also used the shuttered windows and covered the white side with dark painted paneling and put a rug over tan floor. There most likely are matching ceiling fans at each end of the porch/hallway.
    It is a great house and thanks for letting me use my 3d skills to figure out room placement.

rick

• hookedonhouses says

Thanks for the info, Rick! You’re always so helpful! :-)

Our daughter’s/blog partner’s wedding reception was held in the grand estate used in several scenes in the movie. It is called Spindletop Hall in Lexington, KY and has a great story and would be a good blog post for you. Its background story resembles the Beverly Hillbillies. Spindletop was used in two exterior scenes (golf and car show) and interior (after-Derby party and business meeting.) You can see some of it in this post from our blog: http://the2seasons.com/2011/04/05/our-wedding-photos-one-year-later/ Make sure your speakers are on.

22. kate delahanty says

thanks for the post, what a beautiful property some lucky person will buy…
    kate

My twelve-year-old daughter has seen the movie, Secretariat, seven times. Not surprising, since she owns the grandson of Secretariat, whose name is Big Red, too. When we first got him, a freebie, we didn’t know that until we began researching his bloodlines. I almost fainted when I read that he came from the original “Big Red”. My daughter loves telling THAT story!

24. Janice Mahon says

I was at the Preakness in Maryland in 1973 when Secretariat won the second round of the Triple Crown. I was in the infield with all of the other crazies, I remember how hot it was. We watched the other races before the main event. Then came the race, watching this magnificent “Big Red” bowl over the competition. I never watched the movie, now I have to get it.

Secretariat died at the age of 19, when they performed his autopsy, his heart was twice the size of any other race horse. Big hearted Big Red. How I love you so.!

25. Crystal says

Please could you show the farmhouse from the movie Nanny McPhee returns ~ it is So sweet :)
    haPPy day , crystal

Such a beautiful and stately home. I love the kitchen too and the screened in porch, though not the movie version…I prefer it au naturel.
    xo J~

Excellent post — I’ve seen the movie Secretariat a few times, but never really thought too much about the place(s) where it was filmed. Great job on all the research that went into this.

28. Lisa says

I was so happy when I learned that the real Meadow farm was in Doswell as I lived about 30 minutes from there. Apparently back in 2009 the farm was sold and now it is an equestrian park called Meadow Event. They do Secretariat tours where you can see where he was born. With the housing market so bad, many horse farms can sit for years for sale, or worse, become a foreclosure. I was really pleased to read that at least in this case, the horse farm became an equestrian center for horse lovers to enjoy and be able to see the former home of Secretariat.

29. cisrae1 says

The house used for the exterior scenes (white house) is actually my cousins home, located around Carencro, Louisiana. Beautiful home, inside and out.

• hookedonhouses says

No kidding? It’s beautiful. If your cousin ever wants to share some photos of the house with us, let me know! :)

30. Stephanie says

Not sure if you are still looking for the real house or not, but the real Meadow is for sale again. Hopefully, the new owners will preserve what is left of the iconic stables.

• diane says

If The Medow is really up for sale again, I would like some pricing info please….

31. MES says

The front foyer and staircase from “Secretariat” look like the house in “Fried Green Tomatoes.”

32. Eddie says

Wow, in my opinion many people in the US better take note of this listing, finally a PROPERLY priced house! Take note this is what a million dollar house should be and this is a value. Worth every dime.

33. Baker says

Love this house … BUT I also love her home in Denver (I think), in this movie. Do you have any photos of that home to share, too ?