The Sets from the Sitcom “Samantha Who?”

by hookedonhouses on June 27, 2010

Samantha Who DVD Cover

One of my favorite sitcoms on TV was Samantha Who?, which featured Christina Applegate as a not-so-nice person who gets hit by a car and forgets how bad she used to be. Now she’s “Good Sam” but has to live with the consequences of things “Bad Sam” did. It was a fun premise, and the cast really made the most of it.

I was disappointed when they canceled the show last year and thought it would be fun to take a look back at Sam’s fabulous apartment in Chicago and her parents’ house in the suburbs.

Sam's Apartment-ext

Sam had a high-powered job with a real estate company that paid for a fabulous apartment in Chicago that she shared with boyfriend Todd (Barry Watson).

Sam's apt-hallway

This set was actually Barry Watson’s apartment for two seasons in What About Brian. He had just finished shooting it and it was still standing on the Disney lot, so they used it again for this show. He “freaked out a little” when he walked onto the set and realized it was the same one.

Sam's apt-living room 2

The apartment reminds me of the Chicago digs Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston share in “The Break-Up” (you can see photos of it here).

Sam's apartment-living room 1

fireplace

Sam's apt-living room 3

Samantha's bedroom

Samantha's bedroom 2

Sam's apartment-kitchen

Sam's apt-kitchen 2

Sam’s Parents’ House:

Samantha Who-parents' house ext

Sam’s mom and dad (played by Jean Smart and Kevin Dunn) live in the suburbs. As Sam recovers from her head injury, she moves back into her old bedroom for awhile. Their house couldn’t be more different than her city apartment.

Regina's foyer

house-staircase

It’s decorated with a chicken theme because her father is a chicken farmer. In one scene, he says, “Chickens built this house!” Can you count them all?

house-entry

The Living Room:

house-living room 1

house-living room 2

house-living room 3

Her Parents’ Bedroom:

house-Regina's bedroom 2

house-Regina's bedroom

Dining Room:

house-dining room 1

One of the co-creators of the show was Cecelia Ahern, the novelist whose P.S. I Love You was turned into a 2007 movie with Hilary Swank.

house-dining room 2

Samantha’s best friend from work is Andrea (Jennifer Esposito). She keeps hoping that Bad Sam will re-emerge and gives us an idea of what Samantha used to be like before the accident.

house-dining room 5

Regina’s Blue and Red Kitchen:

house-kitchen 3

I love that Regina’s kitchen still has its old yellow appliances.

house-kitchen 5

Jean Smart and Christina Applegate were both nominated for Emmy Awards for their work on this show.

house-kitchen 1

Samantha’s “nice friend” Dena was played by Melissa McCarthy. (Did you know her cousin is Jenny McCarthy?)

I also loved her as Sookie in Gilmore Girls–you can see my post about that show here.

house-kitchen 2

I’m still sad they canceled this show, but at least we have the two seasons it aired on DVD. Were you a fan?

Visit my TV/Movie Houses page to see more sets, from Bewitched to The Mary Tyler Moore Show!

Karena June 27, 2010 at 11:19 pm

Julia really fun to see these rooms revisited and the background info is always so
Fascinating!

Karena
Art by Karena
.-= Karena´s last blog ..Pillow Mint Giveaway -amp Town Art Show 2010 =-.

Janell Beals June 27, 2010 at 11:25 pm

It does remind me of The Break Up apartment, which I LOVED!! Can’t say I’m too excited about the parents house! Never did see this show…
.-= Janell Beals´s last blog ..You Got Me =-.

Nancy@marcusdesign June 27, 2010 at 11:29 pm

I did really like this show! Great round up of photos from the sets. I never thought of it before but it really does look like the apartment from The Break-Up! I loved that apartment, I mean, it was practically a main character in the movie wasn’t it??
Nancy
.-= Nancy@marcusdesign´s last blog ..designer profile- dorothy draper =-.

Kim June 28, 2010 at 1:51 am

I love both the parents and Samantha’s home. They look very comfortable to live in.

This show only lasted for two seasons? That’s too bad. Why does it seem that all of the great shows get cancelled, while the ok or bad ones stay on air longer? I guess some people don’t have good taste in shows.

Amanda @ Serenity Now June 28, 2010 at 7:15 am

I love the window behind the bed in her apartment. What a view! I think they did a great job with the parents’ house too…it looks lived in, and homey. Definitely like a mom and dad’s place. :)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Mini Chick Flick Club =-.

Donna Good June 28, 2010 at 8:13 am

love the whole set. photos like these always make me want to cook and clean, for a minute or two….

hip hip gin gin June 28, 2010 at 8:17 am

I really liked this show too, sad that it is no longer. Love Sam’s apartment!! Especially the fantastic shades of gray paint used. I totally want to do that in our house but I’ll never convince the husband to paint the place again. Maybe just the bedroom.
The parents house? Oy. Chicken themed, checkered couch decor is what sent me sprinting for the east coast as soon as I could, no joke.
.-= hip hip gin gin´s last blog ..Getting There =-.

Lesley @ The Design File June 28, 2010 at 8:25 am

I love it! I never saw this show but this is really inspiring me to rent the DVD and watch. It looks perfect for a lazy weekend.

That apartment is very cool. I could move right in. The parents’ house made me laugh out loud!
.-= Lesley @ The Design File´s last blog ..A great place for art in northeast Indiana =-.

Farmeress June 28, 2010 at 9:03 am

I regret never having seen the show. I really like Christina Applegate and can’t imagine how I missed it? With the seriously poor quality of “comedy writing” and unfufilled concepts with what there is, this sounds like it would have scored winner with me. Was there a goodly amount of promotion on it? LOVE the apartment and would have watched based on sets. Which network let this slip away? Thanks for continued interesting subjects!!!

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints June 28, 2010 at 9:07 am

Good morning Julia:) I watched a few episodes of this show and then lost track of it. Great cast! Her apartment was great. Very grown up. I loved the parent’s hodgepodge country look. Very realistic of what normal houses look like I think. It reminds me of my own parents house:)
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Feed my starving children =-.

Nichole June 28, 2010 at 9:16 am

I was a fan of the show. I also watched What About Brian and I never noticed that the apartments were the same.
.-= Nichole´s last blog ..Progress =-.

Kate (Little Beach Bum) June 28, 2010 at 10:09 am

I loved this show, and I was so bummed out when they canceled it. I agree with one of the above posters – they always seem to cancel the good stuff and let the mediocre ones stay on the air forever. I also watched What About Brian and never noticed that the sets were the same. I really don’t recognize it…Huh. The furniture must be arranged a lot differently.
.-= Kate (Little Beach Bum)´s last blog ..Quote of the Day =-.

Blakely June 28, 2010 at 10:30 am

I loved this show!
.-= Blakely´s last blog ..blizzard beach =-.

Lisa June 28, 2010 at 11:28 am

Samantha Who? and What About Brian? were both great shows. I hated that they were both cancelled. Note to the writers…don’t title your tv shows in question form. They started out as something that we already forgot…Samantha who? And what about Brian? Too bad…I really like Christina and Barry! As for the apt. I love the woodwork and all the moldings. If I were ever a city girl this is the kind of apartment I would dream of having. And who wouldn’t love a doorman like Frank? Maybe in my next life…

clustres June 28, 2010 at 11:34 am

Yes, Julia, I like the show too and was sorry it was canceled. I especially liked Samantha’s apartment so thanks for letting me see it again!
.-= clustres´s last blog ..I Need This Many Arms- =-.

Pat June 28, 2010 at 11:59 am

I loved this show! All the ones I really like get cancelled! What’s up with that? LOL!
What fun to get up close picturs like th is. I believe my dream many moons ago was to live in an uber fab apartment like this one…it was replaced by marriage, a family and a house in the burbs…I think life turned out my better then my teenage dreams!
.-= Pat´s last blog ..Hummingbird Cake -amp Happiness =-.

Cat June 28, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Loved the show and was very sad when they canceled it. I also like Sam’s apartment and like the Mom and Dad’s set because it was kinda of dated like so many of our houses and our parents houses are……

Tracy @ Comfort&Luxury June 28, 2010 at 9:13 pm

I did like this show, but never really paid attention the Sam’s apartment so thanks for the tour. Her parents house was a different story though – how could I NOT notice it?! There was a whole lot going on there!
.-= Tracy @ Comfort&Luxury´s last blog ..The Softer Side of Outdoor Decor =-.

Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip June 28, 2010 at 11:12 pm

I loved Samantha Who?! What a fun post to look back at the show! =)
.-= Vicki @ In The Sandbox Comic Strip´s last blog ..QUOTE OF THE WEEK =-.

Heidi@recklessbliss June 28, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Hi Julia!
You’re right, it looks so much like the Break Up apartment. Also, the bed in her parents home is the same frame as the bed the Claire and Phil sleep in from the show “Modern Family.” I did a few posts awhile back about the decor from the show; here is the post with the picture of the bed: http://recklessbliss.blogspot.com/2010/01/modern-family-homes_19.html
I’d love to get your opinion on my latest living room design scheme too!

Thanks again for adding me to your weekend round up last week!
Heidi@recklessbliss
xoxo
.-= Heidi@recklessbliss´s last blog ..Cheerful Living Room Design Scheme =-.

Jessica June 29, 2010 at 10:03 am

I liked this show too. In fact, I love the green that is on the walls of Samatha’s apt. Hubby and I have had conversations about that color and the molding boxes (what are those called again?) Anyway, sad to see it go. I guess I’ll have to take it off my DVR timer.
.-= Jessica´s last blog ..Through the years =-.

Nita July 1, 2010 at 10:15 pm

I just loved her mom’s French country house! I miss the show too.