Can You Name These Christmas Movies?

by hookedonhouses on December 5, 2008

Who doesn’t love watching Christmas movies this time of year? I have all of my favorites on DVD and pull them out every December to watch again. That’s why I decided to do Christmas Movie Week here at Hooked on Houses. Starting Monday, I’ll feature the homes from some of my favorite holiday movies. Doesn’t that sound like fun? But first, I thought I’d test your Christmas Movie IQ. How many of these houses do you recognize? (Don’t worry, I’ll give you some clues.)

House #1: “I can’t put my arms down!” (To see the answer, click here.)

House #2: Torn between two brothers. (To see the answer, click here.)

House #3: Her last Christmas. (To see the answer, click here.)

House #4: She would rather be in L.A. (To see the answer, click here.)

House #5: A family film without the family. (To see the answer, click here.)

How many Christmas-movie houses did you recognize?

Courtney @ Nesting Instincts December 5, 2008 at 7:32 am

Whoa…am I really the first one to comment? Wow! This is a first. Okay, I’ll take a stab at this. #1 – A Christmas Story (one of my top 3 favorites) #2 While You Were Sleeping (my TOP favorite Christmas movie) #3 I’m drawing a blank on…#4 is The Holiday (I think) #5 is Home Alone. How’d I do? How’d I do?

Hilary December 5, 2008 at 7:39 am

Is it The HOliday? With Cameron Diaz?

Ramona Owen December 5, 2008 at 7:59 am

Okay, okay, okay…I think I got it…by the way, I love Christmas movies…watch ‘em all year long.
#1~A Christmas Story; #2~While You Were Sleeping; #3~The Family Stone; #4~The Holiday; #5~Home Alone…

I find that sometimes I really need a holiday movie fix but don’t have the time…so I have found that you can watch just the last 10 minutes of a movie {any movie} and that will carry you till you have time to sit a spell and watch a whole movie with feet up, a bowl of popcorn and some folks to share it with…you know ~ the whole movie kit.

Have a great weekend~

Smiles ~ Ramona

Dagny December 5, 2008 at 8:09 am

House #4 is definitly from the Holiday!

Angela December 5, 2008 at 8:22 am

I couldn’t guess 1 & 2 without cheating (looking at the other comments), but I knew 3, 4, & 5 off the bat! 3: Family Stone (I LUV LUV LUV that movie), 4: Holiday, and 5: my all time favorite Christmas movie (the first one!), Home Alone!

Very Fun!! I can’t wait for your parade of Christmas movie houses next week!

TGIF!
~angela

Laurin {Laurin and Kelly Talk} December 5, 2008 at 8:24 am

1. A Christmas Story???
2. Stepmom???
3. The Family Stone???
4. The Holiday
5. Home Alone

I don’t think I got a couple right. But, I love The Family Stone house so very, very much.

mary beth December 5, 2008 at 8:44 am

I buckle under pressure…some I knew…some I didn’t…I froze. I did enjoy looking, though! I am going to bring my husband back later and see how many he knows {I will of course pretend I knew them all}. :)

Liz@VioletPosy December 5, 2008 at 8:54 am

The Holiday!!! My favourite Christmas guilty pleasure movie. I grew up near the place where the ‘cottage’ is set…it doesn’t exist and it makes me laugh everytime I see it. Seriously if it did that house would be work about £800,000 and a reporter could not afford it ;)

Pat December 5, 2008 at 9:01 am

I thought the 2nd one was Sleepless in Seattle. But could be While You Were Sleeping. There are similarities in the houses. I, of course being the Christmas movie addict I am, recognize all these wonderful houses!

Great post, Julia!

Jen McCrady December 5, 2008 at 9:04 am

1. A Christmas Story, 2. While you were Sleeping, 3. The Family Stone, 4. The Holiday, 5. Home Alone

maya @ springtree road December 5, 2008 at 9:17 am

i can’t wait to tour #1!! my favorite christmas movie!!

Kristy December 5, 2008 at 9:19 am

1. A Christmas Story
2. While You Were Sleeping
3. Stepmom
4. The Holiday
5. Home Alone

Oh how I love all these houses. I really loved the one from Stepmom with all the land and the porch! What a fun idea for a post, I can’t wait to see if I’m right on them!

Derek December 5, 2008 at 10:33 am

you can see the newly renovated house from “A Christmas story” here:

sill drawing a blank on #3 unless its sleepless in seatle.

reagan December 5, 2008 at 10:36 am

It’s “The Holiday” with Cameron Diaz! I would recognize that cute little cottage house anywhere! I love that movie, I should rent it again!

reagan December 5, 2008 at 10:38 am

Okay so I got so excited that I didn’t read your post all the way through.

1. not sure
2. not sure
3. stepmom
4. the holiday
5. home alone

desiree December 5, 2008 at 11:08 am

I’m going with Ramona’s answer. I love The Family Stone home and the movie!

Mia's Pearls December 5, 2008 at 11:19 am

The first one is easy, The Holiday. But the rest, I was terrible at! :)

Sara December 5, 2008 at 11:22 am

Oh, these are good.
1.Christmas Story
2. While you Were Sleeping?
3. Stepmom?
4. The Holiday
5. Home Alone

I can’t forget about my new favorite classic “Elf”? Buddy the Elf- What’s your favorite color?

Arleen December 5, 2008 at 11:30 am

What a very fun idea! Everyone else has made some solid guesses, so I only want to add that I think house #3 is from Step Mom. ~Arleen

laura @ the shorehouse. December 5, 2008 at 11:31 am

I watched A Christmas Story the other day and I still laughed and laughed. I can’t believe that movie is 25 years old!! It has not become dated one bit in my opinion.

I see there’s a house tour challenge for Dec. 15…there’s a holiday house tour in shore house town on Dec. 13, so looks like I’ll have new material! And guess what….there will be a tent erected and decked with holly. Fa la la la indeed. :-)

Robyns Online World December 5, 2008 at 11:37 am

#1 A Christmas Story (one of our favorites!)
#2 I know I’ve seen the movie but can’t remember
#3 Sepmom
#4 on clue
#5 Home Alone

Fifi Flowers December 5, 2008 at 11:44 am

1- A Christmas Story 2- SJP/LukeWilson Holiday Movie 3-Stepmom 4-Holiday 5-Home Alone
FUN GAME!

Meredith December 5, 2008 at 12:02 pm

I got this one without even checking the other comments!!!
1. A Christmas Story
2. The Family Stone
3. Stepmom
4. The Holiday
5. Home Alone

Leila December 5, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Oh my, I love that stone house!
I’ve only seen Home Alone and my kids always watch A Christmas Story and I fall asleep. No idea what it’s about or anything. Just snoozing.

Emily@remodelingthislife.com December 5, 2008 at 12:31 pm

I only know #2 While You Were Sleeping #3 Stepmom and #5 Home Alone.

Looks like I might even be wrong on those though :)

sally December 5, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Looks like I agree w/ most everyone…but I think #3 is Stepmom. Can’t say I’ve seen Family Stone all the way through, but I don’t remember it being anyone’s last Christmas…so Stepmom sounds right.

Billy December 5, 2008 at 1:19 pm

1. A Christmas Story
2. ?
3. The Family Stone
4. The Holiday
5. Home Alone

If 2 is “While You….” then I know why I had no idea, it is one of the few movies I couldn’t make it through. For 3 I had to check the trailer. In 4 all the houses were interesting.

sandra/tx December 5, 2008 at 2:36 pm

What? No Griswold’s home? Great tour. I’ll have to check out the links at Inspired Room. Thanks for letting us know, Julia. Have a great weekend!

Ms.Tee December 5, 2008 at 3:23 pm

Hmm..let’s see if my memory is still good. :0) The first one: The Christmas Story; While You Were Sleeping; The Family Stone or Stepmom?; The Holiday; and Home Alone!

Jen R Sanctuary Arts December 5, 2008 at 4:38 pm

I thin number 2 is while you were sleeping. #5 home alone. #3 step mom????

mercedes December 5, 2008 at 5:06 pm

The last is the best,my favorite houses of all the times
Home Alone,please can we see a house tour?
Great post!!

hookedonhouses December 5, 2008 at 5:11 pm

Mercedes–
Each day next week, I’ll be posting another house tour from a Christmas movie. On Monday you’ll see House #1, on Tuesday you’ll see House #2, etc.

Some of you guys have guessed right. Some have guessed wrong. Keep guessing! -Julia :-)

Ashley December 5, 2008 at 6:22 pm

I knew from the picture! Yikes… that must mean I watch it a little too often. it’s The Holiday. I sure like that movie. =)

Meredith December 5, 2008 at 6:39 pm

I’m so lame; I only knew The Holiday (#3)(because I watched part of it while making the bed on Sunday) and Home Alone (#5) because I absolutely loved that house. I think it was the wallpaper in the master bedroom that got me. I did see The Family Stone but forgot the house.

Meredith December 5, 2008 at 6:41 pm

Whoops, The Holiday should be #4. I knew that.

charmaine December 5, 2008 at 6:48 pm

Hello Julia! thank you so much for your nice comments about my blog. well, i have a secret to tell you, i have truly been a fan of your blog for a while now. i always love visiting your blog and being inspired by your beautiful post. your blog is truly one of my favorites! you have a blessed day! as far as your movie houses, lets see,
1.a Christmas story
2.while you were sleeping
3.step mom
4.The Holiday
5.Home Alone

God Bless,
Charmaine

queen b December 5, 2008 at 10:02 pm

The Holiday with Cameron Diaz AND JUDE LAW..I WOULD REMEMBER THAT HOUSE ANYWHERE……..BECAUSE IT HAS A COZY KITCHEN, JUST LIKE MINE !!!! ………LOVED THAT MOVIE……..LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sue December 6, 2008 at 12:56 pm

I’m new to your site and loving it. Nice to meet you.

Cathy December 7, 2008 at 9:52 am

1. Christmas story
5. Home Alone
Can you tell I only watch kid movies..just kidding

Sue December 7, 2008 at 11:10 pm

Christmas Stoy
While You Were Sleeping
Step Mom
The Holiday
Home Alone…1 AND 2!
I am such a movie AND house junkie. I love to watch movies but love them best whne they feature a lovely home space…I can tell you about the decor from soooo many films. I really am awful about it. : )

This was fun!

Sue December 8, 2008 at 12:29 pm

#1 A Christmas Story, #2 While you were sleeping, #3 The Family Stone, #4 The Holiday, #5 Home Alone

Melissa Lewis - Off The Wall December 8, 2008 at 9:44 pm

Such great Christmas movies! I love The Holiday and The Family Stone!

{ 2 trackbacks }