The House from the Shia LaBeouf Movie “Disturbia”

Disturbia is a (very loose) remake of the 1954 Alfred Hitchcock thriller Rear Window, starring James Stewart and Grace Kelly. The Craftsman-style home used in the film is now on the market in Whittier, California. Most of the movie was filmed in this neighborhood.

This 4,000 square-foot house was built in 1910 is on the market for $1.25 million. It has 5 bedrooms and 2 half-baths. According to the listing:

This stunning 1910 Craftsman known as the Hadley Estate was originally built for John Chaffee of Chaffee College. Here the historic integrity of the home has been maintained over the years and it shows. The living room and spacious formal dining room have their original built ins and untouched wood aplenty with a one of a kind fireplace. This home offers spacious bedrooms, a skylight, a sun room, a large wrap around porch, spacious upstairs living area complete with a period bathroom, bedroom and sleeping porch.

In the movie, you saw this red brick house across the street:

And this green house also made an appearance in the background:

Here they are in the MLS listing, which you can see from the front porch:

The deck and pool behind the house in the movie do not exist at the property:

Actual back of house:

Interior shot from the movie:

Photos from the actual interior of the house:

Thanks to Cindy for sending me the link for this listing. She says when she saw the film she instantly recognized the house as one she had driven past in Whittier before. You know you’re hooked on houses when… :-)

Julia-simple-teal-signature2

Comments

1. Melanie says

The lighting in these photos drive me nuts!! you would expect a better “staging” for a house goin’ for 1.25m.

Well for heavens sake!! Rear Window is one of my favorites and I didn’t even make the connection, because it’s a house, not an apartment.

Great post, Julia.

I’m with ya on the built-ins! Beautiful although I doubt I’d pay the 1.25M for it. Never saw the movie though – may have to rent it if it isn’t too scarey!

I agree with the poor quality of the photos. I don’t care a single bit for the kitchen, it’s kind of a shame it’s even in the house.

Yes, the photos are poor, but perhaps the owner doesn’t mind?? Looks like maybe it is rented because the decor is so blah and whoever lives there didn’t bother to pick up the kitchen for the photos. Think what we clever bloggers/decorators/wannabes could do with this house.

Janet

6. Billy says

You all don’t like the early 60’s kitchen remodel, or is it an addition? Some one is going to buy the place then walk into a kitchen designer and ask for another “Something’s Gotta Give” kitchen. . I like the set interiors better than the actual house.

$1,250k is still in the “move up” category in an LA burb, but this looks like the best house in the neighborhood, not a good investment usually. All in all to far from the beach.

Yikes. I would be angry if MY house was on the market and my realtor had such crummy photos of it. (and for the record, my house is SO not worth that kind of cash) I love craftsman style bungalows. Hubby’s not quite fond of it though. The porch on that house is just glorious!!! Glad to see that my search for the answer didn’t fail me. Thanks for the tour too!!

OH! I’m having a GIVE AWAY at my blog and would love for ya’ll to come on by and enter. All you have to do is comment. Easy peasy!

I love the exterior, it’s absolutely beautiful. The rest of the house…not so much.

I would love to {stage} that kitchen to within an inch of it’s life…it would be a fun challenge…and then I would bake a pie!

Smiles ~ Ramona

10. hookedonhouses says

I know! Don’t you just want to rescue this house? And fire the Realtor for taking such bad photos of it? -Julia

P.S. Ramona, you can bake a pie in MY kitchen if you want! :-)

I sure wouldn’t mind waking up in that master bedroom. And I love all those built-ins, too. Thanks for showing us this.

12. Kellye says

It’s hard to tell with the photos, but I have a feeling that the set decorators of the movie got it right instead of the owners. I thought the kitchen was a 50s remodel, but now that you mention it Billy, you’re probably right with the early 60s.

Oh my the kitchen is so out of place. It’s “disturbing” (haha) how much it looks like my kitchen pre-remodel. Those cabinets should be white!!

I wish they’d provided much better photos!

What an interesting post! Haven’t seen the movie, but now I want to…..did not know it was a remake of REAR WINDOW, which I adored……

I haven’t seen this movie, but I did like Rear Window. I love the built-ins, too, and I really love that porch!

FUN post! I loved that movie! Whittier has some GREAT house! It is a very green and beautiful area… the old section of Whittier I should say.

I love that house, it was a good movie too. I think the kitchen was different in the movie too. My oh my how hollywood changes things. It was awesome in the movie, I hope the neighbor next door is okay, that could be a turn off fo ra buyer HA HA!!

18. dale lease says

HOUSE IS BEAUTIFUL FROM THE OUTSIDE, SOME OF THE ROOMS ARE OK BUT NOT WHAT I EXPECTED THE HOUSE TO LOOK LIKE INSIDE. LOVE THE SUN ROOM, BUT THE KITCHEN HAS TO GO. I DO WANNA SEE THE MOVIE NOW.

19. Cindy says

You did a great job presenting this listing by making it so much more interesting! But, that’s why I love your blog. I was excited that you mentioned me giving you the link, I feel famous.

20. hookedonhouses says

Rhonda–yes, that’s right. It was the neighbors’ pool.

21. Mitchell says

The pictures look different from the movie. But I guess it’s only a movei. Thanks for sharing!!!

22. Kat says

I really liked his bedroom.. It’s so cosy (: Plus the posters are nice

23. Mitchell says

His bedroom is actually not in the house it self. His bedroom, his dad’s study room and the kitchen are all sets at Paramount studios at stage 18.

24. Crystal Auslam says

I lived in a small little Guest house that was beautiful and exceptionally cute in back of a old furnished home located on Friends Ave . right behind painter and walked the landlords cocker spaniels as a favor. and past by those homes for a year only to find out that disturbia was filmed in the 2 homes behind my guest house. I could always see the built on deck to the home. I also learned the move Blow with Johnny depp was filmed in My landlords home in front of mine at the time. Whittier has some Beautiful historical homes i will add.

25. Crystal Auslam says

Another bit of info i have learned . aswell regarding Whittier’s Historical District Homes. The Home that rented the guest house to me was the Childhood home filmed in the movie BLOW with Johnny Depp. Juliette Lewis . what a trip it was to see how different the home looked in the movie and all this time i was on the porch where Jonny Depp stood . where he paid his parents a visit from jail …..eerrrrrroooeeewwww.. the Gueshouse connected next to the garage was filmed in the end of the movie and you could only see the window . Whittier is great! im telling you , if yoiu rent any guest home in back of a historical home . you never know what was filmed there. as well as the homes down the street in Central park. was the filming location for Hocus Pocus Home. I LOVE WHITTIER SO….

26. Eve says

I grew up in Whittier, and I had no idea there were million dollar homes there. Believe me, if I had that much money to spend on a house, I would get my money’s worth and move somewhere else!

my favorite actor it shia an i love this house im gonna save up and one day eventually move love evrything about it

28. ShabbyChick says

Loving the built-ins, but this house lacks warmth and personality. Stark, cold and uninviting.

29. CP says

House is now in foreclosure and selling for $630K way below the original asking price. Been on and off the market for over 3 years. Beautiful house but unfortunately needs a TON of work! Still love it tho!