The House from the Shia LaBeouf Movie “Disturbia”

by hookedonhouses on October 22, 2008

Disturbia is a (very loose) remake of the 1954 Alfred Hitchcock thriller Rear Window, starring James Stewart and Grace Kelly. The Craftsman-style home used in the film is now on the market in Whittier, California. Most of the movie was filmed in this neighborhood.

This 4,000 square-foot house was built in 1910 is on the market for $1.25 million. It has 5 bedrooms and 2 half-baths. According to the MLS listing:

This stunning 1910 Craftsman known as the Hadley Estate was originally built for John Chaffee of Chaffee College. Here the historic integrity of the home has been maintained over the years and it shows. The living room and spacious formal dining room have their original built ins and untouched wood aplenty with a one of a kind fireplace. This home offers spacious bedrooms, a skylight, a sun room, a large wrap around porch, spacious upstairs living area complete with a period bathroom, bedroom and sleeping porch.

In the movie, you saw this red brick house across the street:

And this green house also made an appearance in the background:

Here they are in the MLS listing, which you can see from the front porch:

The deck and pool behind the house in the movie do not exist at the property:

Actual back of house:

Interior shots from the movie:

Photos from the actual interior of the house:

Doors leading to the screened porch:

Dining room:

This kitchen doesn’t look like it belongs in the same house! I could’ve used this for a “One of these rooms is not like the others…” post.

Love the built-ins in this house:

Master bedroom:

Exterior from the side:

You’d think a million-dollar home that has been featured in a movie like this would deserve better photos in its MLS listing, wouldn’t you?

Big thanks to Hooked on Houses reader Cindy for sending me the link for this listing. She says when she saw the film she instantly recognized the house as one she had driven past in Whittier before. (You know you’re hooked on houses when…)

Movie photos via Seeing-Stars.

Melanie October 22, 2008 at 7:45 am

The lighting in these photos drive me nuts!! you would expect a better “staging” for a house goin’ for 1.25m.

Pat October 22, 2008 at 8:14 am

Well for heavens sake!! Rear Window is one of my favorites and I didn’t even make the connection, because it’s a house, not an apartment.

Great post, Julia.

Angela October 22, 2008 at 8:50 am

I’m with ya on the built-ins! Beautiful although I doubt I’d pay the 1.25M for it. Never saw the movie though – may have to rent it if it isn’t too scarey!

Heather October 22, 2008 at 9:31 am

I agree with the poor quality of the photos. I don’t care a single bit for the kitchen, it’s kind of a shame it’s even in the house.

janet October 22, 2008 at 9:44 am

Yes, the photos are poor, but perhaps the owner doesn’t mind?? Looks like maybe it is rented because the decor is so blah and whoever lives there didn’t bother to pick up the kitchen for the photos. Think what we clever bloggers/decorators/wannabes could do with this house.

Janet

Roxy @ There's No Place Like Home October 22, 2008 at 10:04 am

Oh yeah, I would’ve never guessed that one, but now I totally remember the house from the movie. Good one!

Billy October 22, 2008 at 10:31 am

You all don’t like the early 60’s kitchen remodel, or is it an addition? Some one is going to buy the place then walk into a kitchen designer and ask for another “Something’s Gotta Give” kitchen. . I like the set interiors better than the actual house.

$1,250k is still in the “move up” category in an LA burb, but this looks like the best house in the neighborhood, not a good investment usually. All in all to far from the beach.

Suzann October 22, 2008 at 10:46 am

Yikes. I would be angry if MY house was on the market and my realtor had such crummy photos of it. (and for the record, my house is SO not worth that kind of cash) I love craftsman style bungalows. Hubby’s not quite fond of it though. The porch on that house is just glorious!!! Glad to see that my search for the answer didn’t fail me. Thanks for the tour too!!

OH! I’m having a GIVE AWAY at my blog and would love for ya’ll to come on by and enter. All you have to do is comment. Easy peasy!

Amy October 22, 2008 at 12:39 pm

I love the exterior, it’s absolutely beautiful. The rest of the house…not so much.

Ramona Owen October 22, 2008 at 1:51 pm

I would love to {stage} that kitchen to within an inch of it’s life…it would be a fun challenge…and then I would bake a pie!

Smiles ~ Ramona

hookedonhouses October 22, 2008 at 1:54 pm

I know! Don’t you just want to rescue this house? And fire the Realtor for taking such bad photos of it? -Julia

P.S. Ramona, you can bake a pie in MY kitchen if you want! :-)

Annabelle October 22, 2008 at 2:28 pm

I sure wouldn’t mind waking up in that master bedroom. And I love all those built-ins, too. Thanks for showing us this.

Kellye October 22, 2008 at 5:08 pm

It’s hard to tell with the photos, but I have a feeling that the set decorators of the movie got it right instead of the owners. I thought the kitchen was a 50s remodel, but now that you mention it Billy, you’re probably right with the early 60s.

Emily October 22, 2008 at 5:49 pm

Oh my the kitchen is so out of place. It’s “disturbing” (haha) how much it looks like my kitchen pre-remodel. Those cabinets should be white!!

I wish they’d provided much better photos!

Mimilee October 22, 2008 at 8:05 pm

What an interesting post! Haven’t seen the movie, but now I want to…..did not know it was a remake of REAR WINDOW, which I adored……

Ms.Tee October 22, 2008 at 11:12 pm

I haven’t seen this movie, but I did like Rear Window. I love the built-ins, too, and I really love that porch!

Fifi Flowers October 23, 2008 at 1:16 am

FUN post! I loved that movie! Whittier has some GREAT house! It is a very green and beautiful area… the old section of Whittier I should say.

Carrie October 23, 2008 at 1:52 pm

I love that house so much its my favorite style of houses.

Katie Ricker October 23, 2008 at 6:24 pm

I love that house, it was a good movie too. I think the kitchen was different in the movie too. My oh my how hollywood changes things. It was awesome in the movie, I hope the neighbor next door is okay, that could be a turn off fo ra buyer HA HA!!

dale lease November 8, 2008 at 2:37 pm

HOUSE IS BEAUTIFUL FROM THE OUTSIDE, SOME OF THE ROOMS ARE OK BUT NOT WHAT I EXPECTED THE HOUSE TO LOOK LIKE INSIDE. LOVE THE SUN ROOM, BUT THE KITCHEN HAS TO GO. I DO WANNA SEE THE MOVIE NOW.

Cindy November 28, 2008 at 5:20 pm

You did a great job presenting this listing by making it so much more interesting! But, that’s why I love your blog. I was excited that you mentioned me giving you the link, I feel famous.

rhonda March 11, 2009 at 10:37 pm

the pool was actually in the neighbors yard.

hookedonhouses March 12, 2009 at 6:56 am

Rhonda–yes, that’s right. It was the neighbors’ pool.

Mitchell June 28, 2009 at 7:16 am

The pictures look different from the movie. But I guess it’s only a movei. Thanks for sharing!!!

Kat July 2, 2009 at 1:24 pm

I really liked his bedroom.. It’s so cosy (: Plus the posters are nice

Mitchell July 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm

His bedroom is actually not in the house it self. His bedroom, his dad’s study room and the kitchen are all sets at Paramount studios at stage 18.

eugene December 11, 2009 at 4:46 am

i like his bedroom can’t someone get more pic’s

Crystal Auslam March 3, 2010 at 6:35 pm

I lived in a small little Guest house that was beautiful and exceptionally cute in back of a old furnished home located on Friends Ave . right behind painter and walked the landlords cocker spaniels as a favor. and past by those homes for a year only to find out that disturbia was filmed in the 2 homes behind my guest house. I could always see the built on deck to the home. I also learned the move Blow with Johnny depp was filmed in My landlords home in front of mine at the time. Whittier has some Beautiful historical homes i will add.

Crystal Auslam March 27, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Another bit of info i have learned . aswell regarding Whittier’s Historical District Homes. The Home that rented the guest house to me was the Childhood home filmed in the movie BLOW with Johnny Depp. Juliette Lewis . what a trip it was to see how different the home looked in the movie and all this time i was on the porch where Jonny Depp stood . where he paid his parents a visit from jail …..eerrrrrroooeeewwww.. the Gueshouse connected next to the garage was filmed in the end of the movie and you could only see the window . Whittier is great! im telling you , if yoiu rent any guest home in back of a historical home . you never know what was filmed there. as well as the homes down the street in Central park. was the filming location for Hocus Pocus Home. I LOVE WHITTIER SO….

Eve August 30, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I grew up in Whittier, and I had no idea there were million dollar homes there. Believe me, if I had that much money to spend on a house, I would get my money’s worth and move somewhere else!

jason October 13, 2010 at 12:06 pm

my favorite actor it shia an i love this house im gonna save up and one day eventually move love evrything about it

Nathan January 4, 2011 at 3:30 am

I absolutely LOVE the built-ins in that one room!

ShabbyChick February 13, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Loving the built-ins, but this house lacks warmth and personality. Stark, cold and uninviting.

Clint Wilde May 23, 2011 at 12:16 am

Awesome home!

CP July 24, 2011 at 12:29 pm

House is now in foreclosure and selling for $630K way below the original asking price. Been on and off the market for over 3 years. Beautiful house but unfortunately needs a TON of work! Still love it tho!

hookedonhouses July 24, 2011 at 1:17 pm

No kidding? That’s sad. Thanks for the update!

{ 3 trackbacks }