Ask Julia: How Do I Decorate with Blue Carpet?

by hookedonhouses on March 31, 2008

askjulia1.jpeI recently received this cry for help:

Dear Abby (I mean Julia),
Can you offer any advice for those of us that are stuck with navy blue carpet – yuk- in the master bedroom?
Sincerely yours,
Stuck with the Blues

Dear Stuck with the Blues,

I’m sorry to hear you have to live with navy carpet, but at least it’s not the worst color to have to work with. Pity the people who have pink or teal!

If I were you, I’d go for a simple blue and white bedroom that works with it. You could paint the walls a light yellow, toasty tan, pale blue, or white. I would keep the color scheme as limited as possible–maybe one other accent color, but that’s it. Make the rest of the room fabulous enough, and maybe you won’t notice the navy carpet as much.

Blue with shades of brown or green are also popular right now, but since you already chose a blue and white comforter (shown above), let’s go with that.

Here are some examples of blue and white bedrooms that I hope will inspire you.

In this blue and white bedroom (Pottery Barn catalog), you can see how well the blue and white bedding works with crisp white walls and dark wood, and just a shot of yellow with the flowers:

askjuliapb2.jpeHere’s a room with yellow walls (found here):

askjuliastripes3.jpeHere’s a room from House and Gardens that has blue walls and at a least a little blue in the carpet (so far I haven’t been able to find a room with navy carpet like yours, though!):

askjuliahg.jpgThis is Jane Seymour’s guest bedroom, featured in her book Making Yourself at Home (why they only photographed half of the bed, I have no idea, but I wanted to show you how it would look with a blue upholstered headboard):

askjuliajaneroom.jpe
Here’s a more masculine blue and white bedroom. The pumpkin orange color is an interesting choice to go with the blue and white if you want something darker:

askjuliapumpkin.jpeHere’s a room with a brighter blue carpet that mixes lots of shades of blue:

This room shows how sophisticated tan or khaki walls can look with blue and white (Southern Living Idea House):

askjuliasoliv.jpeWhat I wouldn’t do–use any brighter blues like this (via Apartment Therapy). I think you’ll need to stick with pale, powdery, or slate blue tones so that the navy blends into the room better:

askjuliabrightblue.jpeIf all else fails, you can buy some big area rugs to cover as much as possible. The only danger in that is that you may inadvertently draw more attention to the floor than you want to.

Now I’ll open it up to all of my creative and talented readers. What do you think? Got any good decorating advice for working around navy carpeting? Has anyone had a similar dilemma that they found a solution for? We’d love to hear it!

UPDATE: Here’s what the Bed, Bath & Beyond bedding she bought would look like with khaki walls and pillows (thanks to a reader for Photoshopping this together). Looks good, right?

JLB March 31, 2008 at 8:53 pm

Navy carpet is not the worst thing in the world. Teal carpet is! I would suggest a 2 color color scheme. Perhaps all white bedding and drapery with just a few blue accents in pillows or chinese pottery. Paint the walls a blue color as well to make the room look larger as the carpet and walls will not contrast one another. (try benjamin moore’s historical colors) I think the all blue walls and carpet contrasted by the white curtains etc. will give you a high style look. As for the furniture traditional cherry sleigh bed or four poster would be great. You could also go for the English bed and breakfast look and out lots of yello and blue stripes and toiles on the soft furnishings like the curtains bedding etc. . I love the picture on here of the yellow room with the four poster bed. However by the time you do all the things we suggest you could probably just re-carpet cheaper..LOL.

JLB March 31, 2008 at 8:55 pm

P.S. It is now evident to all that I cannot type!!!!
Sorry.

hookedonhouses March 31, 2008 at 9:31 pm

Love your ideas, JLB! Thanks! -Julia :-)

JLB March 31, 2008 at 10:25 pm

it seems I am the only one bold (actually vain) enough to hold forth on their personal plan for this poor souls bedroom. I actually think you can do a lot with navy carpet. I totally agree with you Julia that putting area rugs down will only bring more attention to the carpet.

Marie April 1, 2008 at 7:02 am

I literally gasped when I saw the blue and white toile from the PB catalog! I LOVE it!

I’m going to admit something I haven’t ever spoken aloud before…. when I leased my very first apt almost 100 years ago, I actually REQUESTED the floor plan with the teal carpet. I cringe thinking about it to this day! Please keep in mind it was the tail end of the 80′s so teal was IN. Especially in Florida. (yeah right… was it ever REALLY in?)

Hairy Weisenheimmer April 1, 2008 at 8:17 am

So often we have to deal with what we have.
Yes, pink or teal would have been a whole lot worse!! Or how ’bout that snazzy two toned green shag that was so poular in the 70′s?? LOL
IMHO, I would neutralize the blue with khaki paint on the walls. The comforter set is beautiful ; add some khaki throw pillows to tie it all together. Maybe a lighter khaki on the ceiling? I’d think white on the ceiling would reflect the carpet and increase the blue effect.
Anyway, thats my two cents. I’m adding a link to a pic describing my color ideas, let me know if it doesn’t show up.

Andrea April 1, 2008 at 12:15 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I’m feeling very inspired.

Liz April 1, 2008 at 5:15 pm

As someone who is living with bright blue shag carpeting circa 1976 (vintage!), you have no idea how I ENVY the idea of navy carpet. What I’ve discovered is that if you put down enough rugs, you kind of forget the hideousness that lies beneath. Strangers might not, but how often are strangers in your bedroom?

hookedonhouses April 2, 2008 at 9:18 am

Wow! Did everyone check out the link Hairy W gave us? Way cool. Thanks for taking the time to do that. Andrea–be sure to look at how your bedding would look with khaki walls and pillows. So nice to have a visual. Thanks HW! :-)

Hairy Weisenheimmer April 3, 2008 at 6:26 pm

My pleasure!
PhotoShop is like a coloring book for big people :-D

some screen name I can never remember April 6, 2008 at 8:43 pm

I have a blue and white bedroom. I have a duvet cover and shams (white with blue foral print) from IKEA ($29 for queen) and I jazzed it up with a blue blanket at the bottom and a darker blue patterned throw pillow. I have blue curtains (sheers really) also from IKEA and used the Nesters idea of ‘mistreatments’ to do a valance above them. I took the same fabric and wrapped it around some canvas stretchers stapled to the back) and hung it over the bed. Cheap art. I used several different fabrics, all in white and blues, to give the room texture and interest. It’s a very pleasing and soothing room. If only I had navy carpet. ;)

carpet cleaning service London November 12, 2008 at 5:38 pm

Blue is more of a dark shade so its more likely to go with other dark colors but then again it all depends on how you want to symphonize your room. I do know that dark blue goes with a tropical shade of yellow to give it that island taste! Other than that I guess we all have to consult with Martha Stewart! :)

-Samantha

im blue 2 March 4, 2009 at 5:57 pm

I also am living with blue!! My husband built this house before we were together and the ENTIRE house is decorated in blue!! Ive been slowly trying to work with it. There was blue carpet and blue and white checkered 1′ tiles thru out the while house!!! all counter tops are a marble blue look, argh!!
Ive finally convinced my husband to replace the downstairs carpet with wood, but then i have the carpet going up the stairs and thru all the bedrooms. Im really wanting to work on my bedroom but dont know where to begin.
this a link to the furniture we bought for it.

also does anyone know where that striped bedding came from?

hookedonhouses March 4, 2009 at 8:27 pm

im blue 2–wow, you’ve got a lot to deal with! The striped bedding at the top of the post was from Bed, Bath & Beyond. The striped bedding with the pumpkin walls was from Pottery Barn. Good luck! -Julia :-)

Bella Casa April 9, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Hi Julia,

I keep bumping into your blog on my google image journeys for ideas for my Living Room ;)

I am going with a Behr paint that is very similar to your Eddie Bauer color. I have an area rug ordered, too…and slipcovers. Still working on lighting and window treatments.

Bella Casa’s last blog post..Sure Fit Slipcovers for Wing Chairs

Heather C June 28, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Hi Julia,

My parents are having a problem with there living room. They unfortuantly have dark blue plush carpet (which they love) but it is pretty dull due to the white walls. They need major help. It is a pretty small room so I am thinking painting the walls to dark would make it appear even smaller. They have a cream colored sofa and medium oak end tables (all new so they can’t replace them). They need a paint color to give the room a design to it or not make it so boring! They are sick of having white walls all over. HELP!

Carla November 8, 2009 at 12:29 pm

I have a royal blue carpet throughout my doublewide home with white walls.I am tired of white and cannot change my carpeting at this time.I also have a board of somekind about a third of the way up the wall with a painted on border so I can do two colors easily.Two of my living rooms have an open feel with the kitchen in between so it all needs to match in some way.I can only afford taking on a room at a time.Also in a doublewide some of it is a vinyl like papered wallboard and the kitchen appears to be a papered wall.What do you suggest. I just bought new curtains not too long ago that are burgandy and would like some nuetrals but not sure how it will go with the blue carpet if I do the walls.What do you suggest?

Jenna August 8, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Is there anyone that has suggestions for bedding to go with a room that is painted with Valspar’s Navy paint?
Thanks for your help!

bobbie December 18, 2010 at 3:26 pm

hi i`m moving out of my home and renting a house that has sky blue carpet all the way throw and i hate it what can i do with my living room to decorate cos i normaly would have a cream or light coffee colour carpet and go from there but don`t know what coulours to go for on the walls without making it look it my bedroom when i was 13 years old please please help do you know anywhere a can find pictures of living room done with that colour carpet used to give me ideas

Abiola April 26, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Hi,i seriously need your help!i’m a student&my room is painted light cream,white lacy curtain,my carpet is a mixture of skyblue&white,a rosewood coloured bed.but i dont dig my room,please save a soul!!thanks

Patricia June 18, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I painted my walls urban grey and my carpet is like a slate blue. I’m having difficulty finding the right color furniture to match. Can you give me some ideas?

Frustrated & desperate