Hooked on Holiday House Tours Party #3: My Family Room

family room Christmas 11

Welcome to the third and final Hooked on Holiday House Tours party of the year! Last week I showed you the white Christmas tree in my dining room. Today I’m inviting you into the family room where we spend the most time as a family.

family room Christmas 5

As much as I enjoy trying new colors here and there, I always need some good old fashioned Christmas red in the house this time of year.  Can you see the snow falling outside the windows?

family room Christmas 2

You may recall I had a plan to put our tree in the new sunroom when it was finished. Well, my daughter Lily didn’t approve of that idea at all. She insisted that it HAD to be in the family room because it’s ALWAYS in the family room.

“Make sure you tell everyone on the blog about how we fought over where the green tree should go,” Lily says, “and who won.” Isn’t she a stinker? 😉

I’ve only got this bad snapshot of it at night with bad lighting, but look how happy she is, triumphantly hugging “her tree.” It’s covered in ornaments that she and her brother Jake have made and collected over the years.

Lily hugs her tree

She says, “You’ll just have to get a THIRD tree for the sunroom!” Um, sure. I’ll get right on that… (maybe next year!)

If you missed my white tree in the dining room, you can see it here. Now it’s your turn to show us how you’ve been decorating!

Hooked-on-Holiday-House-Tours

If you’ve got a holiday post to add to the party, all you have to do is:

1. Add the permalink to the specific blog post (not your general blog address).
  2. Link back to this post from yours (feel free to use that button, created for me by Amy!).
  3. Start clicking!

Reese Witherspoon-How Do You Know sets
The Sets from Reese Witherspoon's New Movie How Do You Know: CasaSugar. Hoping for Peace & Love This Holiday Season: My Sparrow Organic Linens. A…
For those of you who have asked how our new sunroom is coming along, I thought I'd give you an update. I took this photo…

Comments

Love the decorations in your Family Room. I really like those chairs and they way they look with hints of red thrown in, very cozy!
    Merry Christmas :)
    .-= Shannon´s last blog ..Our Holiday Home =-.

2. Deb in Oz says

Your home is gorgeous. So warm and cosy looking. Of course we’re in the middle of our (extremely hot) summer so I’m all about open and airy living. And air-conditioning! We only have one tree which is in the lounge room…it’s green with only gold and red stars, baubles and beads.

I love the family room decor. Loving the red and white. Those are my colors this year too. We have to let the kids win sometimes, right? Love her hugging the tree. Thanks for hosting so we can see all these great Christmas decorations.

Julia – your home looks so so beautiful! I can tell you really enjoy decorating for the holidays. And how cute is your daughter?? 😉 She seems quite pleased that she won the tree battle!!
    I’m going to try to get some shots up, but might not make it in time. If not, I’ll have to link to my pre-decorating Shiny Brite post.
    It’s so fun to see everyone’s homes during the holidays. Thanks for the blog party…and Happy Holidays!
    .-= Kelly, Arte Styling´s last blog ..Stylish Blogger Award! =-.

Funny how kids are like that. I have a little one in the middle of everything I do. Your tree looks wonderful. Thanks for hosting and have a Merry Christmas.
    Sherry
    .-= Sherry´s last blog ..The Charm of Christmas =-.

6. Elisha says

Really lovely Julia. I think red is such an appropriate Christmas color too. My husband pointed out to me recently that although most of our decorations are clear crystal (I’ve been collecting them for years) we have quite a lot of red. So festive. I really like the gold and silver that you have in the dining room too, simple and sophisticated.

Julia, this is the first time I have linked to one of your parties. I don’t do this very often, but since it is the Holidays I think it is the time of year to go to Christmas parties!!! Love your mantle. I am really liking the simplicity of the red beaded garland!! Simple, fun and festive!!! Kathysue
    .-= kathysue´s last blog ..My 2010 Christmas Dining Room =-.

Hi! Love your home! Funny, my daughter always wins about decorating the tree and how tradition CANNOT be changed, too!
    I needed to let you know I added 2 links by accident to the link-up party. I realized after I’d done it that I’d added the wrong one, so I added the one I wanted after and couldn’t get the first one off. The one that is wrong is “1850 Stone Home Christmas.” I wanted to enter the next one: “Stillness at Christmas.” I’m sorry. I’m sure you’re plenty busy, but I didn’t want you to think I was trying to sneak it by you.
    Thanks for your time and have a great rest of the week! —Farmer’s Wyfe
    .-= Pumpkin Pie Painter´s last blog ..A Brief Moment in Time =-.

This is so beautiful. I love that’s nothing “over-the-top”, nothing cluttered, everything has a very stylish and clean, yet “homey” look. I love your house. It’s so elegant and beautiful, Julia! You do a great job!

And yes, our kids have more say than us sometimes! lol Your daughter is so cute for wanting the tree at the same spot. Maybe she doesn’t like change too much. :-)

Have a beautiful day and enjoy your beautiful decor!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

I just found your blog today. Wow…what a beautiful home you have. I can’t wait to explore your blog a little bit more tnight when I get home from work. I would love for you to drop by my blog http://cricketscafe.blogspot.com/ and take a peek. Tomorrow is Friendly Friday and there will be a contest and a cute prize to win.
    Take care and thanks for sharing all your talent and inspiration.
    Cricket
    .-= cricket´s last blog ..Traditional Holiday Recipes =-.

• hookedonhouses says

I sent you an e-mail saying I got them at Target a few years ago, but now I’m second-guessing myself. I think it might have been Crate & Barrel. I went crazy when they had their red and white snowman-themed stuff several years ago and these might have been part of that collection. Does anyone remember? I also got plates, mugs, a tree skirt, etc, with the snowmen.

Oh, Julia, I’m so glad to see the RED in your family room! I have loved at Christmas for more years than I care to count, and I don’t think I’ll ever change! Of course, I love decking the halls with real greenery, and red is the perfect complementary color. . . but mostly I just think I’m a traditional kind of girl.

I’m so glad I finally made it here to participate in one of your parties! Thank you so much for hosting. :)
    .-= Richella at Imparting Grace´s last blog ..A little more Christmas =-.

12. Cheryl says

Great job Julia. So homey. Oh Julia, you are so going to get a third tree for next year! Don’t feel bad, I’m up to three now. I have one tree for the living room that is picture perfect and holds all my sentimental ornaments. Olivia has her own tree in our dining room that is bursting with colour (and almost falling over because she doesn’t believe in balancing the ornaments around the tree – she wants them all front and center “because they’re all so special they should be at the front.” Last year we added a tree to the rec room near the fireplace. We had to – what is cosier than twinkling Christmas lights and a warm fire?
    I’m all about traditional decor but this year I decided to go a little funky in our entrance. Lime green, purple, and silver – it is stunning but my tree will always be red and silver.
    Hope your sunroom is coming along nicely. I remember the sun…. we have about three feet of snow with more on the way today. It truly is a winter wonderland here.

Ha, your daughter is a so cute! Your house looks really festive and I love how adorable your mantel is, I had to add a little red too, I really really missed red and it just didn’t seem like Christmas without it!

You are lucky to have snow!! I wish we did. We had a snowstorm over Thanksgiving but I’m hoping for snow NEXT week! I love snow at Christmas!
    .-= melissa @ the inspired room´s last blog ..Preparing for Guests- 10 Tips =-.

I love Lily :)

Your family room looks great! So refreshing to see red!! Seems so many went away from traditional colors this year but I just love red and like seeing I’m not alone with my red decorations 😉

15. Dee says

The keyword here is After Christmas Sale. Then you can have a sunroom tree, because you’ll never be able to move the green tree from the family room. Just go ahead and move it, and they’ll move it back for you, or you’ll find your family room looks bare without it! Happy Holidays!

Hi Julia,

Your family room looks wonderful. I love the clean lines, the simplicity, and the traditional reds you’ve used! I read about your party at Susan’s BNOTP. It sounded like great fun! Thank you for hosting.

Kindest regards,
    Bill
    .-= Bill @ Affordable Accoutrements´s last blog ..Holiday Decorating! =-.

Thanks for hosting these beautiful tours. You know your family room is one of my favorites…I love the tasteful touches of red. Merry Christmas, my friend!
    .-= melissa*320 sycamore´s last blog ..deals 121510 =-.

Hi Julia,
    I have been following you for a few years. I have loved all of your blog posts especially movie houses. I have learned so much from you. I love peeking into houses and see how people decorate and live. I have finally started my own blog and am extending an invitation for you to visit. I thank you for the inspiration you give me daily.
    Fondly,
    Careyann
    .-= careyann´s last blog ..A Leap Of Faith =-.

19. Cindy says

Julia your decorating style is Simply Elegant and I am quite jealous of your ability to do that. I watch the HGTV Christmas decorating tips to do and not do and I am guilty of the DO NOT make your house look like a Christmas museum. I tend to overdo and after being married 33 years I have stuff for every possible theme out there except the Simply Elegant one.
    Love the tours, so thanks for posting them.

You truly have a home for all seasons…you have found the key to decorating with neutral background and accessorizing in different colors. It works so perfectly. By the way…I think Lily is the most perfect accessory of all! It’s so important for kids to feel the anchor of traditions, just like the tree in the corner…Yep..she won, and so did you by having her precious little self in your life!
    Now, I have to start looking at all those wonderful links!!
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..Preparing For… =-.

I love your family room! The Christmas decorations are perfection. It’s so elegant and classic at the same time. I’m with you, I love the Christmas red. And now, in addition to your beautiful turquoise buffet, I am in serious love with your chairs!

P.S. Lily is a pip! Love her proud picture and I agree with her third tree suggestion for the sunroom 😉
    .-= Bre´s last blog ..Charity Poker Face =-.

22. Destiny says

Beautiful room and beautiful, beautiful, sweet girl. Traditions, they run deep…
    I also like a pop of red!
    I can’t wait to click on every single link… falalalala!

23. E. George says

Hi Julia everything you do is beautiful and Lily I’m glad you won because it looks fantastic and it looks even better with you beside it wouldn’t want it any other way. Julia I agree must have Christmas red it just seems to bring all the other colours to life I love it. Thank you for sharing it has been a visual feast. Regards Esther from Sydney.

Hi, Julia…and Lily! Would I recognize some of those handmade ornaments, I wonder? I love your CHRISTmas decorations. They are classic and tasteful and so homey. Thanks for hosting and sharing so many great ideas! Merry CHRISTmas to you and your whole family!
    .-= Kristen @ JoyfullyThriving´s last blog ..CHRISTmas at Our Home =-.

• hookedonhouses says

I bet you would recognize a couple of them! We have the ornaments they’ve made every year since preschool. Always fun to revisit them! :-)

25. Nita says

Christmas is all about the kids, so it’s right they get to choose! We had our chance, now it’s their turn. Lovely room. Love the black and white chairs too. The room looks sooooo neat and clean and unused. I just ordered two different sets of loveseat slipcovers because I don’t know which one I like and want to try them both. Hard on the credit card, but do you think it’s a good decision? The slipcovers are so different.

• hookedonhouses says

The only reason it looks so neat and clean is because I picked up all the kids’ stuff before I took the pics. Ha.

I know what you mean about slipcovers. I’ve bought several for the chairs in my bedroom but didn’t like any of them and sent them all back so I’m still shopping. Hope you have better luck with yours!

26. Marlee says

Julia, I adore the touches of red in your lovely home! Thanks for hosting this fun party. ~ Marlee

Thank you so much for hosting this Christmas party, It is so much fun looking at every ones Christmas decorations. Much better then any decorating magazine. My wishes being sent to you and your.
    family for a wonderful Christmas season. Sharon K
    PS I entered my picture twice by mistake. sorry
    .-= Sharon K´s last blog ..I wish you a Merry Christmas =-.

Julia, Your family room looks very warm and special, with its touches of Christmas red. Sometimes, it’s best not to buck tradition- so it’s good that Lily got her way! Girls and their powers of persuasion!! She looks sweet hugging “her” tree. And yeah, there’s nothing wrong with a new tree for the sunroom next year…
    Thanks for hosting the party-I hooked up late but HAD to hit your party again; it was a fun one for me last time! Merry Christmas to you!
    :-) Sue
    .-= Sue´s last blog ..Christmas in the Entryway =-.

Wow, can’t wait for the next holiday season and see what christmas decors would come up!