Cozying Up My Family Room for Fall

by hookedonhouses on October 21, 2009

family room pedestal bowl

Pull out your nice, warm throws. Put a pumpkin on your front porch. Heat up some cider with brandy and sit by the fire. It’s time to cozy up to fall!

Until October, my house still had a cool summer vibe, and my family room looked like this:

sofa-flowers-bird-view

After taking down the turquoise and yellow and bringing in some pumpkin-oranges, golds, and browns, my family room has warmed up to the idea of fall:

family rm-sofa-mantel

It’s amazing what a difference a few small changes can make to the way a house feels. A few little gourds set out here and there.  Some pinecones in a bowl. It doesn’t cost much or take long to invite some fall inside.

mantel closeup

I’ve heard from some of you that you don’t decorate for fall. You don’t like orange, and you’d rather just wait and go all-out for Christmas.

But I can’t help myself. Maybe it’s the Midwestern girl in me, but I like the inside of my house to reflect what’s going on outside. When there’s a chill in the air, this warms me up.

books and pumpkinOn December 1st, I’ll replace these colors with red and silver. Come back on December 11 for my Hooked on Holiday House Tours party and I’ll show you!

It’s not a very big room, so I think I enjoy it most at this time of the year when “cozy” is a good thing. (To see more photos of my house decorated for summer, click here.)

sofa arm-mantel-TV

Calling all bloggers! Now it’s your turn to show us how you decorate for fall.

Fall House Tour Button 09

Don’t have anything to show us at your house? Then take us on a tour of a friend’s house, a neighbor’s, a house that’s on the market, a model home, whatever! We’ll spend the day blog-hopping and looking at houses together. Is there any better way to spend a chilly fall day?

The party has started!

P.S. I’m adding this post to Melissa’s Beautiful Life party and Susan’s Metamorphosis Monday.

CelebrityDigsHQ October 21, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Your family room looks lovely and liveable. We like the turquoise accents and how you switched them out to orange for the fall. –CDHQ
.-= CelebrityDigsHQ´s last blog ..Keeping Up with the Kardashians’ Houses, Part II =-.

Kim October 21, 2009 at 8:29 pm

I admire that room, it looks nice and cozy! I love how the littlest changes makes it fall friendly.

Amanda @ Serenity Now October 21, 2009 at 9:40 pm

I love it, Julia! You have just the right mix of festive and chic. :) Maybe I’m cheesy, but I feel like you do…I like my home to reflect what’s going on with the season. :) Love the white pedastal bowl in the first photo! I will definitely link up my Fall decorating post with you tomorrow night. Fun! And I am REALLY looking forward to the Christmas home tour too!
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog .."Well, first of all, I can do that." =-.

Kathy :) October 21, 2009 at 9:51 pm

I am with you Julia I love to flow with the seasons….and I happen to love the color orange….(yellow being my fave)…..I feel they are happy colors…..!! I love to decorate for Xmas too but there is something so special about “Harvest”… And the week before Halloween I will get “freaky” LOL I have all my spooky things I put up….I loved trick or treating as a kid…..and I love that the neighborhood kids love to come here ..I have the spooky music blaring….chains dragging etc….Yup I get in to it…..

Your room looks very cozy……thanks for sharing…

How is the costume hunting going….any luck ???

Kathy :)

Tracy October 21, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Smart of you to have such a pretty, neutral base to build on. Love the new look on your mantel.
.-= Tracy´s last blog ..If I Ruled the World. . . =-.

LeAnn October 22, 2009 at 12:01 am

Hi Julia,
Well I am definitely not one of those who dislike orange. I love orange and I absolutely love fall colors more than any other season. They are so warm and cozy and happy! Your room looks divine.

LeAnn:)
.-= LeAnn´s last blog ..New window treatments….. =-.

Julie M. October 22, 2009 at 1:40 am

What a lovely room!

: )

Julie M.
.-= Julie M.´s last blog ..Pas de Neige! =-.

Becca October 22, 2009 at 3:14 am

Orange makes me happy! I love fall but all I have are a couple of candy dishes and some leaf garland. :(
Your decorating is lovely!
.-= Becca´s last blog ..Scrapbookin’ On The Couch =-.

Linda @ Lime in the Coconut October 22, 2009 at 3:40 am

That room is just tailor made for the coziness of fall! Lovely job!
.-= Linda @ Lime in the Coconut´s last blog ..The seventies meets bamboo meets Bollywood…Yeah Baby! =-.

Dagny @ Beautiful Living October 22, 2009 at 3:55 am

Very cozy!! LOVE fall!!
.-= Dagny @ Beautiful Living´s last blog ..Ever Forget About the Fifth Wall…? / Den femte veggen =-.

Annie@A View on Design October 22, 2009 at 5:30 am

very nice, love the living room…
.-= Annie@A View on Design´s last blog ..A New Take on Heritage 20mins from Perth =-.

rue October 22, 2009 at 6:06 am

You know I love that room and I especially love it this Fall. Beautiful!

Question… What is in the white vase on your mantel? It looks like pomegranates on branches. I love it!

rue
.-= rue´s last blog ..A new addition to PB & J Cottage =-.

E. George October 22, 2009 at 6:28 am

Hi Julia its b-e-a-utiful…… On this side of the world we are putting our wools away and turning on the air cons… Love everything you have done…… Regards Esther….

hookedonhouses October 22, 2009 at 7:32 am

Rue–you guessed it! They are pomegranates.

Kathy–the costume search for Halloween is over. I found a bunny costume for Lily that she liked. And just in time because she has a party to wear it to this weekend. -Julia :)

Robin October 22, 2009 at 7:38 am

I just love the mantle! Just beautiful!

Becky K. October 22, 2009 at 8:03 am

Very pretty.
I like the books with the little pumpkin.

The older I get the more I enjoy Fall decor.

Becky K.
Hospitality Lane
.-= Becky K.´s last blog ..Ten Things You May Not Know… =-.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions October 22, 2009 at 8:20 am

I decorate for Fall, it’s just more restrained than Christmas! : ) I love your family room, Julia! The toile is lovely. I like the orange you brought in and how it shows up all around the room. I’ll have to see how my Fall decorating looks for pictures, but I’m looking forward to the party.

carol October 22, 2009 at 9:07 am

Love your site and your home is beautiful! Just came over from the Nester and added your site to my favorite list, if that is okay. Looking forward to seeing all your ideas!
.-= carol´s last blog ..Armoire update =-.

Vicki October 22, 2009 at 10:09 am

Simply beautiful!!
.-= Vicki´s last blog ..Communication Styles: Boys vs Girls =-.

Janell Bealsq October 22, 2009 at 10:19 am

It indeed looks beyond cozy…I am a huge fan of orange. I have to control myself not to go overboard with it!
I’ll be back on Friday to link up to your house tour party, looking forward to what everyone shows!
Have a great one…Janell
.-= Janell Bealsq´s last blog ..Before & Afters – My Previous Home =-.

Sharon October 22, 2009 at 10:27 am

Love your splashes of orange. Really does bring the house into the current season. Tres cozy!!
.-= Sharon´s last blog ..Almost there … what to hang on the wall? =-.

Stephanie @ A Fine House October 22, 2009 at 10:49 am

Love it! Isn’t it amazing how a few small accessory changes can transform the feel of a room? Thanks for sharing.
.-= Stephanie @ A Fine House´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday =-.

Jen @ After The Alter October 22, 2009 at 10:49 am

Looks great!!! I love the little additions. I love decorating for fall because it’s like what you said…warm and cozy. I like this brandy in the apple cider idea too..lol..I think I may need to try that!
.-= Jen @ After The Alter´s last blog ..Things I Love Thursday: Glade Sense & Spray =-.

AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage October 22, 2009 at 11:12 am

I love how you were able to just make a few small changes and totally change the feel of the room. Great job!
.-= AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage´s last blog ..In An Accessory Rut? =-.

Struggler October 22, 2009 at 11:39 am

I suspect you already know I’m a huge fan of this room!
I’ll be savoring the photos properly during today (when I should be working, shhh) and seeing what I can learn. Thanks for posting this!!

Amy October 22, 2009 at 11:58 am

I think it’s fantastic. It’s just a touch of autumn and it makes everything so homey and beautiful. I’ve put a few things out but I still don’t have a bunch of autumn decor. It’s in my mental “decorations to get” list. It’s a work in progress. I’m buying pumpkins and mums this weekend :) Oh, and the cutest mini white pumpkins I’ve ever, ever seen. I love autumn!
.-= Amy´s last blog ..October =-.

Susie Harris October 22, 2009 at 12:19 pm

What a difference just changing out a few pillows can make! It looks so warm and cozy now….I could curl up there and read a book for days….. ~
.-= Susie Harris´s last blog ..DIY Screen Memo Boards… =-.

Spanish Preppy Girl October 22, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Love the decoration!!
.-= Spanish Preppy Girl´s last blog ..HAPPY BIRTHDAY =-.

Pat October 22, 2009 at 1:45 pm

To say I love this room would be such an understatement. The toile drapes and furniture covers are my absolute favorites. I want to come over and just take in all the beauty. THIS is how I would decorate…if I had half a talent.
My bathroom is black and white and I change out the rugs, towels and accesories for every season…or whim. It makes it always feel new.
Now excuse me, I have to stare at these pictuers some more. AHhhhhh
.-= Pat´s last blog .. =-.

janice October 22, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Your room looks lovely – really warm and inviting. It looks cared for and designed, but not artificial and staged, if you know what I mean. Some homes look like humans would never be allowed in, far less kids and pets!

Autumn decorating’s not a problem for me, colour-wise, as I have a russet sofa and a fondness for terracota, green and gold. If I wasn’t in the middle of floor laying upheaval right now, I’d send you some photos.
.-= janice´s last blog ..Clutter: What are You Really Holding Onto…and Why? =-.

CashmereLibrarian October 22, 2009 at 3:26 pm

So pretty and cozy!
.-= CashmereLibrarian´s last blog ..Today’s Jewelry =-.

Beth@The Stories of A2Z October 22, 2009 at 5:43 pm

I can’t believe this is the first time I’m visiting your blog! Your autumn decorations are beautiful. And I’m in love with the mirror above your mantle. I’m sure you’ve answered this somewhere already, but where oh where did you find that divine piece? I’ll be back to visit. Stop by and visit me if you have the chance.

Blessngs,
Beth
.-= Beth@The Stories of A2Z´s last blog ..Chandeliers for Less =-.

Ramona Owen October 22, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Hey there Julia ~

Your room looks lovely…inviting and very, very cozy! Well done. I especially love that orange pillow and the stacked books on your coffee table. See you tomorrow for your party…I wouldn’t miss it for the all the orange pillows in the world.

Smiles ~ Ramona
.-= Ramona Owen´s last blog ..Halloween ~ A Celebration! =-.

Debbie October 22, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Hi Julia, Your living room is one of my all time favorite rooms I have ever seen. It flows and it is peaceful. I love the black that you have in the room, the mantel is perfect, the furniture layout is just great. I like how you incorporate the orange and have it ready for fall. I like that look and think you added just the right amount! Beautiful. Looking forward to the fall home tour! Yipeee.
Have an awesome week!
Blessings,
Debbie

hookedonhouses October 22, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Beth–

I found that mirror at the Bombay Co. about 5 yrs ago. I’ve gotten comments now and then saying it’s a no-no to put a mirror above a fireplace, but that room is so small and dark (from all of our trees) that I wanted a mirror to reflect some light around. I also wanted something round that could balance all of the straight and square shapes on the wall.

Glad you like it! -Julia :-)

Richella at Imparting Grace October 22, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Oh, Julia. . . this rooms looks so warm, so welcoming, so much like a space where I’d like to sit down, pull my toes up under me, and visit with you. Can I come? Please??

I’m so excited to participate in your Fall Home Tour. This will be the first time I’ve ever joined in a tour like this. It’ll be fun to compare this Fall tour with the Christmas tour. I do so love a home tour. It’ll be fun for me to actually be one of the stops on the tour!
.-= Richella at Imparting Grace´s last blog ..DIY for someone else =-.

Shelia October 22, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Hi Julia! Oh, I love how your family room looks. Just those tiny changes makes it turn the page for fall! It’s beautiful for summer too! Your draperies are so pretty and you have the most lovely furniture.
I’m going to hook up to play Fallness with you tomorow!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
.-= Shelia´s last blog ..Gargoyles of Notre Dame =-.

daily decorator October 22, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Fall is my favorite season! I love all the decorations! I have a loyal reader who lives in the U.K. who tells me that her neighbors would think she is crazy if she put out a pumpkin outside the front door. Too funny. Do you think it’s just us Americans doing this?

Tracy
.-= daily decorator´s last blog ..Room Service for Carrie =-.

maya | springtree road October 22, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Julia, your living room looks gorgeous! I love a good pumpkin orange.
.-= maya | springtree road´s last blog ..Birthday girl =-.

Cara October 22, 2009 at 9:35 pm

I love how just a few little changes makes the room feel and look entirely different. I happen to love decorating for fall…it fits my house since I’ve already got lots of yellows and reds. But then I have trouble decorating for spring and summer!
.-= Cara´s last blog ..Pants for Skinny Kids =-.

devil October 23, 2009 at 8:20 am

This is a beautiful room. Warm and inviting.

You have such great decorating style. I love how you added seasonal flair without going overboard. It’s easy to overdo it.

Why is it a no-no to put a mirror over the fireplace? I’ve never heard that before. Not that I obey all those rules anyway. :)

hookedonhouses October 23, 2009 at 8:25 am

Devil–
They say when you sit on the sofa, the mirror reflects the ceiling, and some people don’t like that. I have to say it has never bothered me, but I do get e-mails from people chiding me about it from time to time. -Julia :)

Pat Smith October 23, 2009 at 10:10 am

Well I’ll get this linking thing right one of these days! It does seem to go to the right post. I’ve been to some really creative places from here…thanks for hosting.
.-= Pat Smith´s last blog ..Halloween House Tour =-.

Dwinisa October 23, 2009 at 10:32 am

I like your living room! It’s very beautiful :)

teresa October 23, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Love the simple but stunning changes- Thanks for sharing.

Liz@VioletPosy October 23, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Julia, I’m like you I have to redress the room for autumn. I love the touches of orange they give the room warmth and make it more ‘snuggly’. You’ve done a lovely job x
.-= Liz@VioletPosy´s last blog ..What happens when you don’t travel with kids… =-.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality October 23, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Hey, Julia, I’m one of those who doesn’t do much for Fall, just my little foyer table. But, I will go hog wild at Christmas. I’m doing my Holiday tour on Dec. 10, so hopefully we can all piggy back off each other. I’ll be posting my button on Sunday.
.-= Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality´s last blog ..Diane’s Foyer =-.

Michelle October 24, 2009 at 9:04 am

Hi Julia,
Thanks for hosting the fall tour, I’m having a great time seeing everyone’s decor. Your room looks so cozy and warm for fall. What a change from the summer look! It looks beautiful and inviting. Great job!
~Michelle
.-= Michelle´s last blog ..There’s still time! =-.

Hilary October 24, 2009 at 9:06 am

Beautiful house and decorations! Thanks for sharing!
.-= Hilary´s last blog ..Taco Soup =-.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints October 24, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Very simple…yet warm and cozy. Love it:)
.-= Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog ..Art from the heart =-.

Rona October 25, 2009 at 8:52 am

Your living room looks so beautiful. I love the colors and the fabrics.
We’ve finally decided to start decorating our small apartment. I think now that the shock of downsizing has gone away we can finally make this place into a home that reflects us.

tami aka agodlyhomemaker October 25, 2009 at 6:08 pm

i love your living room! you did a fabulous job of creating a functional serene place to “be”. thanks for sharing :)
.-= tami aka agodlyhomemaker´s last blog ..my weekend =-.

nannykim October 25, 2009 at 8:52 pm

Charming room….and it is amazing what a few changes make in that room–love the warmer feel!
.-= nannykim´s last blog ..Metamorphosis Monday =-.

Susan October 25, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Julia…what a beutiful change for fall! It just amazes me how a few tweaks with different colors gives the room a whole different feel. Looking forward to seeing the Christmas/Holiday look, too!
Susan
.-= Susan´s last blog ..Welcome to the 41st Metamorphosis Monday! =-.

Rita October 26, 2009 at 7:52 am

That fire mantel looks breath taking!!

When visiting my post, be sure to click on the “Follow” button if you like what you see. This way we can share one anothers creativity!

Brenda Kula October 26, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Looks ever so cozy at your place!
Brenda
.-= Brenda Kula´s last blog ..A New Sewing Corner =-.

Lisa October 26, 2009 at 2:23 pm

First of all, your family room is LOVELY! Very nicely appointed! I so enjoyed seeing your fall decor.
.-= Lisa´s last blog ..Family Rules: Dance in the Rain =-.

Cristi October 26, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Love, Love, Love your family room. It’s so warm and cozy. I like the before too but I love the new fall look.
.-= Cristi´s last blog ..doesn’t get much prettier =-.

Nancy October 26, 2009 at 3:19 pm

The small changes did add up to a cozy fall decor. Nice!
.-= Nancy´s last blog ..Metamorphosis Monday – Completed Dining Room =-.

laura @ the shore house October 27, 2009 at 5:13 pm

I love how you transform your house for the seasons. And nothing’s an easier way to make a big impact than toss pillows or pillow covers…it change a whole room. I do it all the time and love the differences it makes!
.-= laura @ the shore house´s last blog ..Southern living, New Jersey-style. =-.

Michelle December 16, 2009 at 8:56 am

I love the color on the walls. Do you remember the name and brand of paint you used?

Thanks!!

hookedonhouses December 16, 2009 at 9:01 am

Michelle–
It’s Eddie Bauer’s “Pecan.” Glad you like it! I went through quite a few paint cans until I found it… -Julia :-)

monica mahlmeister March 1, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Love this room!! I especially love the beautiful wall color in this room. Can you tell me what color it is?
Thanks!