Cozying Up My Family Room for Fall

family room pedestal bowl

Pull out your nice, warm throws. Put a pumpkin on your front porch. Heat up some cider with brandy and sit by the fire. It’s time to cozy up to fall!

Until October, my house still had a cool summer vibe, and my family room looked like this:

sofa-flowers-bird-view

After taking down the turquoise and yellow and bringing in some pumpkin-oranges, golds, and browns, my family room has warmed up to the idea of fall:

family rm-sofa-mantel

It’s amazing what a difference a few small changes can make to the way a house feels. A few little gourds set out here and there.  Some pinecones in a bowl. It doesn’t cost much or take long to invite some fall inside.

mantel closeup

I’ve heard from some of you that you don’t decorate for fall. You don’t like orange, and you’d rather just wait and go all-out for Christmas.

But I can’t help myself. Maybe it’s the Midwestern girl in me, but I like the inside of my house to reflect what’s going on outside. When there’s a chill in the air, this warms me up.

books and pumpkinOn December 1st, I’ll replace these colors with red and silver. Come back on December 11 for my Hooked on Holiday House Tours party and I’ll show you!

It’s not a very big room, so I think I enjoy it most at this time of the year when “cozy” is a good thing. (To see more photos of my house decorated for summer, click here.)

sofa arm-mantel-TV

Calling all bloggers! Now it’s your turn to show us how you decorate for fall.

Fall House Tour Button 09

Don’t have anything to show us at your house? Then take us on a tour of a friend’s house, a neighbor’s, a house that’s on the market, a model home, whatever! We’ll spend the day blog-hopping and looking at houses together. Is there any better way to spend a chilly fall day?

The party has started!

P.S. I’m adding this post to Melissa’s Beautiful Life party and Susan’s Metamorphosis Monday.

a-beach-cottage-table-closeup
Have you visited A Beach Cottage? It's one of my favorite house blogs. Sarah lived in England until 2005 when she and her husband, along…
Welcome to my second annual Hooked on House Tours blog party (Fall Edition)! Yesterday I showed you how I decorate my house for fall (if…

Comments

1. Kim says

I admire that room, it looks nice and cozy! I love how the littlest changes makes it fall friendly.

I love it, Julia! You have just the right mix of festive and chic. :) Maybe I’m cheesy, but I feel like you do…I like my home to reflect what’s going on with the season. :) Love the white pedastal bowl in the first photo! I will definitely link up my Fall decorating post with you tomorrow night. Fun! And I am REALLY looking forward to the Christmas home tour too!
    .-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog .."Well, first of all, I can do that." =-.

3. Kathy :) says

I am with you Julia I love to flow with the seasons….and I happen to love the color orange….(yellow being my fave)…..I feel they are happy colors…..!! I love to decorate for Xmas too but there is something so special about “Harvest”… And the week before Halloween I will get “freaky” LOL I have all my spooky things I put up….I loved trick or treating as a kid…..and I love that the neighborhood kids love to come here ..I have the spooky music blaring….chains dragging etc….Yup I get in to it…..

Your room looks very cozy……thanks for sharing…

How is the costume hunting going….any luck ???

Kathy :)

Hi Julia,
    Well I am definitely not one of those who dislike orange. I love orange and I absolutely love fall colors more than any other season. They are so warm and cozy and happy! Your room looks divine.

LeAnn:)
    .-= LeAnn´s last blog ..New window treatments….. =-.

You know I love that room and I especially love it this Fall. Beautiful!

Question… What is in the white vase on your mantel? It looks like pomegranates on branches. I love it!

rue
    .-= rue´s last blog ..A new addition to PB & J Cottage =-.

6. E. George says

Hi Julia its b-e-a-utiful…… On this side of the world we are putting our wools away and turning on the air cons… Love everything you have done…… Regards Esther….

7. hookedonhouses says

Rue–you guessed it! They are pomegranates.

Kathy–the costume search for Halloween is over. I found a bunny costume for Lily that she liked. And just in time because she has a party to wear it to this weekend. -Julia :)

I decorate for Fall, it’s just more restrained than Christmas! : ) I love your family room, Julia! The toile is lovely. I like the orange you brought in and how it shows up all around the room. I’ll have to see how my Fall decorating looks for pictures, but I’m looking forward to the party.

Love your site and your home is beautiful! Just came over from the Nester and added your site to my favorite list, if that is okay. Looking forward to seeing all your ideas!
    .-= carol´s last blog ..Armoire update =-.

It indeed looks beyond cozy…I am a huge fan of orange. I have to control myself not to go overboard with it!
    I’ll be back on Friday to link up to your house tour party, looking forward to what everyone shows!
    Have a great one…Janell
    .-= Janell Bealsq´s last blog ..Before & Afters – My Previous Home =-.

I suspect you already know I’m a huge fan of this room!
    I’ll be savoring the photos properly during today (when I should be working, shhh) and seeing what I can learn. Thanks for posting this!!

I think it’s fantastic. It’s just a touch of autumn and it makes everything so homey and beautiful. I’ve put a few things out but I still don’t have a bunch of autumn decor. It’s in my mental “decorations to get” list. It’s a work in progress. I’m buying pumpkins and mums this weekend :) Oh, and the cutest mini white pumpkins I’ve ever, ever seen. I love autumn!
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..October =-.

To say I love this room would be such an understatement. The toile drapes and furniture covers are my absolute favorites. I want to come over and just take in all the beauty. THIS is how I would decorate…if I had half a talent.
    My bathroom is black and white and I change out the rugs, towels and accesories for every season…or whim. It makes it always feel new.
    Now excuse me, I have to stare at these pictuers some more. AHhhhhh
    .-= Pat´s last blog .. =-.

Your room looks lovely – really warm and inviting. It looks cared for and designed, but not artificial and staged, if you know what I mean. Some homes look like humans would never be allowed in, far less kids and pets!

Autumn decorating’s not a problem for me, colour-wise, as I have a russet sofa and a fondness for terracota, green and gold. If I wasn’t in the middle of floor laying upheaval right now, I’d send you some photos.
    .-= janice´s last blog ..Clutter: What are You Really Holding Onto…and Why? =-.

I can’t believe this is the first time I’m visiting your blog! Your autumn decorations are beautiful. And I’m in love with the mirror above your mantle. I’m sure you’ve answered this somewhere already, but where oh where did you find that divine piece? I’ll be back to visit. Stop by and visit me if you have the chance.

Blessngs,
    Beth
    .-= Beth@The Stories of A2Z´s last blog ..Chandeliers for Less =-.

Hey there Julia ~

Your room looks lovely…inviting and very, very cozy! Well done. I especially love that orange pillow and the stacked books on your coffee table. See you tomorrow for your party…I wouldn’t miss it for the all the orange pillows in the world.

Smiles ~ Ramona
    .-= Ramona Owen´s last blog ..Halloween ~ A Celebration! =-.

Hi Julia, Your living room is one of my all time favorite rooms I have ever seen. It flows and it is peaceful. I love the black that you have in the room, the mantel is perfect, the furniture layout is just great. I like how you incorporate the orange and have it ready for fall. I like that look and think you added just the right amount! Beautiful. Looking forward to the fall home tour! Yipeee.
    Have an awesome week!
    Blessings,
    Debbie

18. hookedonhouses says

Beth–

I found that mirror at the Bombay Co. about 5 yrs ago. I’ve gotten comments now and then saying it’s a no-no to put a mirror above a fireplace, but that room is so small and dark (from all of our trees) that I wanted a mirror to reflect some light around. I also wanted something round that could balance all of the straight and square shapes on the wall.

Glad you like it! -Julia :-)

Oh, Julia. . . this rooms looks so warm, so welcoming, so much like a space where I’d like to sit down, pull my toes up under me, and visit with you. Can I come? Please??

I’m so excited to participate in your Fall Home Tour. This will be the first time I’ve ever joined in a tour like this. It’ll be fun to compare this Fall tour with the Christmas tour. I do so love a home tour. It’ll be fun for me to actually be one of the stops on the tour!
    .-= Richella at Imparting Grace´s last blog ..DIY for someone else =-.

Hi Julia! Oh, I love how your family room looks. Just those tiny changes makes it turn the page for fall! It’s beautiful for summer too! Your draperies are so pretty and you have the most lovely furniture.
    I’m going to hook up to play Fallness with you tomorow!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia 😉
    .-= Shelia´s last blog ..Gargoyles of Notre Dame =-.

Fall is my favorite season! I love all the decorations! I have a loyal reader who lives in the U.K. who tells me that her neighbors would think she is crazy if she put out a pumpkin outside the front door. Too funny. Do you think it’s just us Americans doing this?

Tracy
    .-= daily decorator´s last blog ..Room Service for Carrie =-.

I love how just a few little changes makes the room feel and look entirely different. I happen to love decorating for fall…it fits my house since I’ve already got lots of yellows and reds. But then I have trouble decorating for spring and summer!
    .-= Cara´s last blog ..Pants for Skinny Kids =-.

23. devil says

This is a beautiful room. Warm and inviting.

You have such great decorating style. I love how you added seasonal flair without going overboard. It’s easy to overdo it.

Why is it a no-no to put a mirror over the fireplace? I’ve never heard that before. Not that I obey all those rules anyway. :)

24. hookedonhouses says

Devil–
    They say when you sit on the sofa, the mirror reflects the ceiling, and some people don’t like that. I have to say it has never bothered me, but I do get e-mails from people chiding me about it from time to time. -Julia :)

Well I’ll get this linking thing right one of these days! It does seem to go to the right post. I’ve been to some really creative places from here…thanks for hosting.
    .-= Pat Smith´s last blog ..Halloween House Tour =-.

Hey, Julia, I’m one of those who doesn’t do much for Fall, just my little foyer table. But, I will go hog wild at Christmas. I’m doing my Holiday tour on Dec. 10, so hopefully we can all piggy back off each other. I’ll be posting my button on Sunday.
    .-= Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality´s last blog ..Diane’s Foyer =-.

Hi Julia,
    Thanks for hosting the fall tour, I’m having a great time seeing everyone’s decor. Your room looks so cozy and warm for fall. What a change from the summer look! It looks beautiful and inviting. Great job!
    ~Michelle
    .-= Michelle´s last blog ..There’s still time! =-.

Your living room looks so beautiful. I love the colors and the fabrics.
    We’ve finally decided to start decorating our small apartment. I think now that the shock of downsizing has gone away we can finally make this place into a home that reflects us.

That fire mantel looks breath taking!!

When visiting my post, be sure to click on the “Follow” button if you like what you see. This way we can share one anothers creativity!

30. Michelle says

I love the color on the walls. Do you remember the name and brand of paint you used?

Thanks!!

• hookedonhouses says

Michelle–
      It’s Eddie Bauer’s “Pecan.” Glad you like it! I went through quite a few paint cans until I found it… -Julia :-)

31. monica mahlmeister says

Love this room!! I especially love the beautiful wall color in this room. Can you tell me what color it is?
    Thanks!