HGTV’s Top-Rated Show: House Hunters

by hookedonhouses on January 25, 2008

Now that we’ve discussed our favorite home shows, does anyone know which one delivers the highest ratings for HGTV?

Here are your three clues:

1. The long-time host has acted in various TV dramas and even had a small role in one of my favorite flicks, “Housesitter.”

2. Star Jones guest-hosted for five episodes in NYC.

3. It films episodes all over the world for an “international version” of the show.

whang_househunters_2404.jpe

It’s “House Hunters!”

The first episode of “House Hunters” aired in 2000, and within a couple of years it was HGTV’s hottest show. Until recently, they didn’t tell viewers how much the featured houses cost. Viewers were simply given a vague idea of the buyer’s price range. As soon as “House Hunters” started revealing the prices of the homes in 2005, the ratings rose even higher. Producers began creating entire shows built around the concept of house prices, such as “National Open House” and “What You Get for the Money.”

Host Suzanne Whang is an actress who played Moseby’s secretary in “Housesitter” and has had parts in “Nip/Tuck,” “Brothers and Sisters, and “Boston Legal.”

When Star Jones guest-hosted for five episodes in NYC, the series pulled its highest ratings ever.

“House Hunters” is so popular that both it and “House Hunters International” can be seen almost every day of the week on HGTV.

Did anyone guess correctly? For those of you who keep their televisions glued to HGTV, I bet this was a piece of cake!

Tracey January 27, 2008 at 7:38 pm

Did you know you can watch “House Hunter” in ten minutes if you DVR it and fast forward through commercials? No kidding!

Amy March 24, 2008 at 5:19 pm

I love House Hunters- I don’t really know why- maybe it’s because I love houses.

I’ve seen Suzanne Whang on Las Vegas too- as a crazy nail tech or hair dresser in the hotel. She was very funny and very convincing. I haven’t seen her in the other things.

Amy March 24, 2008 at 8:13 pm

Thanks! I’ve had the flu so I’ve been catching up on all the stuff I’ve missed.

I’m totally on a losing streak as far as guessing correctly. I think they can’t really convey the buyers desire for a specific area, etc. But it’s fun trying- even my 6 year old guesses. She doesn’t like to be wrong though.

Lana Hall May 2, 2008 at 8:03 pm

House Hunters is my ABSOLUTLY FAVORITE PROGRAM.
I love it!!!! Suzanne Whang is so darling, but I was very disappointed to see Star Jones tonight. I do not like her and I’m so worried that she has replaced Suzanee. Say it isn’t so

hookedonhouses May 2, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Lana–
I assume that’s a repeat from 2006 when Star Jones hosted for a week from NYC. As far as I know, they have no plans to replace Suzanne with her or anyone else. But if anyone has heard differently, let us know! -Julia

Suzanne Borrego May 28, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Are all the house hunters international reruns? I know that years ago there would be new epsoides run for a week around the first of September.

House Hunters and House Hunters International are my favorite shows on HGTV.

Suzanne Borrego

Frank June 28, 2008 at 9:30 am

“House Hunters” is one of the shows that always seems to be on television. Unfortunately new episodes seems few and far between. I would like to know if they will be showing new episodes in the near future. I’ve seen many more than once.

hookedonhouses June 28, 2008 at 9:43 am

Suzanne–
I haven’t seen a new House Hunters International in what seems like a long time.

Frank–
The key is to watch “House Hunters” on Sunday nights at 8:00 when they air the new episodes. The rest of the week they are airing repeats. I have a TiVo that records only the new episodes, so I know they’re still airing them. It has another one scheduled for tomorrow night at 8. -Julia

June July 21, 2008 at 8:14 pm

How is Myles of Styles doing in the ratings? I was soooo disappointed in DS 2 when Kim was the winner. She may be talented, but NOT in interior design. DS 1 winner, David Bronstad is a REAL star, and deserves his fabulous show, Color Splash.

Let’s see more of Splash…..and less of Myles of S.

Flo August 22, 2008 at 1:20 pm

I’ve been catching a few of what I think are the newer House Hunters shows, and there was someone elses voice other than Suzanne’s narrating! They never showed the lady and I’m wondering if Suzanne will be coming back, or was this Suzanne wannabe just temporary??

Marlene Orr September 10, 2008 at 12:24 am

I am considering moving to Trinity, Fl. within six months. My friend watches HGTV House Hunters and told me you did a piece on Trinity, Fl. homes in the last few weeks or couple of months. Is there any way I can buy that viewing on DVD or watch it on your website?

Marlene Orr
801.566.8857

John September 21, 2008 at 5:28 pm

Beside the homes asking price, I would like to know what the property taxes are for the properties

Deedee November 2, 2008 at 5:32 pm

To answer Marlene’s question, the Trinity episode of House Hunters will be on again on November 29th.

Brenda November 9, 2008 at 8:12 am

Does anyone know how to find out the colors used in the houses being shown? I just watched Episode 46 of 2008. More room in Austin. There was a greenish color on the walls in House #1 that I loved.

CAROL HANKINS November 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm

MY FAVORITE SHOW HAS BEEN HOUSE HUNTERS FOR YEARS BUT IF THE START NOT HAVEING SUZZANE WHANG ON I WILL FLICK OFF THE CHANEL. I ESPECIALLY DISLIKE THE WOMAN THAT IS SO INSULTING ON HER AND HER DAUGHTER SHOW.I DO IT NOW AS SOON AS I HEAR HER VOICE.

betson February 18, 2009 at 9:05 pm

House Hunters—what is with that fake, irritating voice that pretends to be Suzanne Whang? I can’t stand it…and turn the show off immediately.

joan gentz February 27, 2009 at 2:03 pm

When will the episode 33 “The Atkins are dreaming of a second home in Maine” air again. I have a summer place in the area and would love to see it. Thanks Joan

Jerry March 6, 2009 at 11:00 am

If HGTV would only stop using the “Swinging Camera” and keep the camera’s still so the audience can
see what is the subject matter, their viewer numbers would go back up to the good-old -days. We can’t watch because it
makes the us dizzy.

Same for DIY

What’s wrong with these people?

jennifer March 7, 2009 at 1:45 am

FINALLY saw name of new narrator – Colette Whitaker is her name. Her voice sounds familiar, but I can’t picture her face. Apparently she has done a lot work as just a voice. I imdb’d her and she was an “additional voice” in Disney’s Cars and Wall-E. I wonder why hgtv hasn’t taken Suzanne Whang’s name off their website. Perhaps she is just on temporary leave hopefully?

scherazade anderson March 29, 2009 at 10:15 am

what happens to previous guests that havce purchased homes on your show. have you thought about doing a updates on previous guests

Lisa April 19, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Yikes! Does anyone have any info yet on if Suzanne Whang is to return? It personalized the show sooooo much more when she narrated.

d April 26, 2009 at 4:01 pm

If you email Suzanne Whang on her official website, she will tell you that HGTV let her go last year. She’s doing other stuff now, and that is why she was replaced with this Colette Whitaker fakewannabe voice-over person. This is what she sent me: ” i left the show almost a year ago, after hosting it for almost a decade. they’ll still show my reruns for eternity, i imagine. feel free to post your comments or send an email to hgtv.com.

i am now headlining at stand-up comedy clubs, i’m guest hosting on the Game Show Network, writing my 2nd book, developing several television series to star in, doing professional keynote speaking, guest sermons, political activism, and charity work. life is good!

thanks for your email. have a blissful night ~”

Miller May 8, 2009 at 8:39 pm

The only true way to send a message to HGTV about the horrid, horrid, fake, sing song, voice on House Hunters, is to boycott the show. I won’t watch it. HGTV doesn’t have respect for its loyal audience to “come clean” on their website re Suzanne Whang.
Replacing her with another “voice” is one thing, to try to pass off a fake, and still run Whang’s picture. Forget them…turn off the TV or switch the channel

Gale O'Neal May 12, 2009 at 6:04 pm

I have been in real estate for over 21 years and in interior design for over 30 – would love to have a chance to work on some HGTV show. I
teach real estate and staging to agents and
am a consultant to builders and investors. I
take a lot of buyers around in my car, and the
latest group commented that I should be on
House Hunter. I’m in the Cary, NC, area.

Renee June 8, 2009 at 11:39 pm

I would like to voice my displeasure at the loss of Suzanne Whang as host for House Hunters. I also turn off the show when she is not hosting it. I have tried to watch when she is not on or when they have the fake voice on. The show is definitely suffering from her loss. I am not sure what it would take to get her back but I would suggest that HGTV look into it!

Kip Lawrence July 27, 2009 at 8:06 pm

How can I get on House Hunters.

Agnes August 23, 2009 at 7:17 am

I just love this program but I have to admit,, my favorite show is the one where those two boys from Spain are looking to get a house with fewer stairs. Is there anyway we can find out how their house looks now? I don’t know what it is about that episode but I feel like they are my boys!

Cheers

Trinity House Hunters August 29, 2009 at 6:27 pm

The Trinity House Hunters will be on again on October 13. 2009 at 7:30 pm

janet obrien January 6, 2010 at 8:24 pm

love love the show but can’t receive any more, have cablevision. dropping cablev. unless you guys go back on the air.

Charles January 21, 2010 at 10:20 pm

My gawd people, I liked Suzanne too, but if you can’t bear to watch the show with her not on it anymore, then you never really watched the show for the fun of seeing the different houses in the first place….you watched it for the host! Why is poor Colette a Suzanne “wannabe?” Cuz she sounds kinda like her. Oh my, how could she?! My wife and I have watched HH for YEARS and just recently noticed no Suzanne anymore. I was curious what happened to her, but happily still watch the show for the same reasons I’ve watched for years, the fun of seeing all the diff properties that come in diff zip codes for various prices (and of course trying to guess which one the buyer will choose.) Give Colette a freakin’ break.

Melonie April 16, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Thank you Charles ! I happen to know the gal who was doing the voice for House Hunters, after Suzanne. She’s actually a very versatile Voice-Over artist. But she was directed to do the VO for the show in that style. She had auditioned for the role as narrator and was chosen because she fit the direction they wanted for the show. She was never supposed to be a “wannabe” or “soundalike” – but she got the job because they liked her delivery. And yes, to be sure, she sounds a lot like Suzanne. But thanks for sticking up for her. And I’m with you – I watch the show to see the houses anyway.

lionel May 2, 2010 at 1:45 am

hello my name is Lionel ,i just want you to know you have a beautiful angel voice

Gary D June 30, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Well, at least I know who to complain about. That lady has the most annoying voice I’ve ever heard. If the’ve told her to use that voice, then they’ve screwed up because I, and a lot of other people have stopped watching House Hunters because even though the program is fun to watch, it’s to agonizing to hear that terrible sing-song voice.

Roy January 2, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Agree about the new narrator. I never liked Suzanne’s sing-song and I like the new one’s even less. The lifting at the end of every sentence is horrendous.

Also realized the new voice does the Hidden Valley Ranch commercial–”there’s a place where kids not only eat vegetables, but love them . . .” or however it goes.

S February 26, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I agree this narrator’s voice is totally devoid of personality and un-natural. I wonder if she practices sounding this way. The producers deserve the blame for ignoring their audience’s preferences and stubbornly going in their own direction regardless of merit.