“Hope Floats:” Birdee’s House in Small-Town Texas

Hope Floats movie house in Smithville Texas

In the 1998 romantic drama Hope Floats, Sandra Bullock plays Birdee Pruitt, a woman who takes her young daughter Bernice back to her mother’s house when her marriage falls apart. It was filmed is in the small town of Smithville, Texas, and here’s how the house looks today:

"Hope Floats" movie house streetview Smithville TX

It’s known as the McCollum-Chapman-Trousdale House, built in 1908.

"Hope Floats" movie house

Gena Rowlands was perfectly cast as Birdee’s eccentric mother Ramona:

"Hope Floats" movie house

Bernice was played by Mae Whitman, who was 10 at the time. Here she is on the front porch with some of her grandmother’s many stuffed animals:

"Hope Floats" movie house front porch

Harry Connick, Jr. plays Justin Matisse, Birdee’s old boyfriend:

"Hope Floats" movie Harry Connick Jr

"Hope Floats" movie house staircase

Birdie's bedroom in "Hope Floats"

Hope Floats

Bernice's bedroom in Hope Floats movie

"Hope Floats" movie house kitchen

"Hope Floats" movie house screened porch

Most of the movie was filmed in Smithville, a small town outside of Austin.

pillars

It drives me a little crazy that the only time they show the entire house, it’s at night:

"Hope Floats" house at night

Here’s how it looks today (via “Blue Eyes and Bluebonnets” Flickr page):

"Hope Floats" movie house in Smithville Texas today

Sandra Bullock has starred in some other great “house movies,” too, like Practical Magic and The Blind Side. Do you have a favorite of hers?

Julia-simple-teal-signature2

"The Women" movie 2008 remake red brick house for sale
When I wrote about Meg Ryan's traditional red-brick house from the 2008 remake of The Women, I asked whether any of you knew where it…
Doris Day movie "Please Don't Eat the Daisies"
One of my favorite Doris Day movies is the 1960 family comedy Please Don't Eat the Daisies. The Mackay family has a great apartment in New…

Comments

yeah poor sandra bullock being married to that wretched man! I hope she’s doing better now with her new “little man” in her life – what a lovely lady! so generous with her love… the home is gorgeous too, no other words for it!
    .-= Annie@ A view on design´s last blog .."Calstock" Tassie Georgian B&B =-.

2. Kim says

I absolutely love this house. The kitchen, porch balcony, and stairs are to die for. I wouldn’t mind living in a house like that.

I really like Sandra Bullock. She’s been one of my favorite actresses since I was a little girl. She is great at acting. I feel so sorry for all that she has been through these past months, but happy that Sandra is doing well. I always hoped that she would have a child so I am happy for her and her new adopted baby. She will be a great mom.

I love every movie I have seen Sandra in. Some of my favorites of her’s are: “Speed”, “While You Were Sleeping”, and “Practical Magic.” I love how Sandra picks good movies instead of being in any. She really is dedicated to her acting.

I am just curious, what program do you use to get all of these great pictures from tv shows or movies? It would be nice to have.

3. Billy says

I was surprised how many house there are like this along the Farm to Market roads in Texas. Sadly most were in poor repair or abandoned partially restored. I was there for 360 days during the oil bust, and haven’t been back. I always hoped some of them found people that could rescue them.

Thanx for the post.

There was a house in “The Proposal”?

4. NAM says

I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see the house from the Blind Side. I loved it in the movie, but have had a hard time finding pictures online. I love the house from The Proposal, too!

This house is absolutely beautiful. Love that porch. It’s funny that I’ve never noticed that the front door is off center. I usually like balance but I guess this adds to the quirkiness of this wonderful house.
    .-= duchess´s last blog ..Sunday Morning Visitors =-.

6. E. George says

Goodmorning Julia well I love this movie but have not watched it for a long time it makes me cry everytime but must be brave and watch it again – it is a lovely house except for the animals love Bernice’s bed. Morning coffee , afternoon tea and anything inbetween on that beautiful porch thats for me…. My fav. Sandra Bullock movie has to be While you were sleeping. Thanks Julia for another great post… Regards Esther from Sydney with strange warm temps. for Autumn….

Thank You!!! I couldn’t place where I had seen Mae Whitman when I saw her on (my new favorite show) Parenthood. I loved her in this movie (and in the new show, too) and even though I don’t remember much of the movie, I do remember that scene where she is talking about the skunk-so funny. Love the house, too.
    .-= rosie at 3 rosebuds´s last blog ..Thanks to the genius of Craisglist… =-.

This was great. I had forgotten how much I liked that movie. I also enjoyed The Lake House with Sandra and Keanu Reeves.
    .-= lisa´s last blog ..Herbs Planted =-.

9. E. George says

Hi Julia its me again sorry I must be tired otherwise how could I forget The Lake House which I thought was very picturesque….. Goodnight from this side of the planet Esther…..

I had forgotten this movie and how much I loved it – and the house. That porch is wonderful and the site of so many good scenes in Hope Floats. How I chuckled when Bernice tries to scare away Justin and how I cried when Bernice is begging her father to take her, Birdee standing in the doorway, letting it all play out.

Thanks for another peek into a movie house. Beats me driving 10 mph on stately street at dusk to just catch a glimpse at some grand old houses on a tree lined boulevard.
    .-= Penny´s last blog ..Tree peonies =-.

Always enjoy SB movies. I didn’t know this house was in a little Texas town and therefore the movie filmed here in my state. I had to see! Smithville. I will have to drive through sometime….Hmmmm.

Great feature today, especially with Sandra’s news. It sure has been a roller coaster for her this year but I’m sure her new son is keeping her smiling. I love this movie and the house is so pretty. When I have watched it, I never realized how odd the door placement is. Still a gorgeous property though!
    ~Michelle
    .-= Michelle´s last blog ..A Boy Room =-.

13. melissa says

This is my most FAVORITE movie. Thank you, thank you for blogging about it. Now, if I could only get all of her clothes from this movie. : )

14. melissa says

p.s. if you could feature any of the homes from the show, Parenthood, I would be truly happy. : )

Great movie…makes me want to live and breath southern living, and i love Sandra Bullock and Harry Connick Jr :)

16. Southern Fried Gal says

This movie makes me want to move back to my home town every time. DH usually doesn’t like for me to watch. Thanks for the memories. Sandra is class all the way! Have a blessed week!
    .-= Southern Fried Gal´s last blog ..May Door Decor: Trash to Treasure =-.

Julia-This is one of my all time favorite movies!! Love Sandra and Gena Rowlands, but Harry Connick just DOES it for me :) I have the sound track. I always wondered about the house! Going to turn on my music! Thanks for another great Monday!
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..Quick, Cheap, and Cute for Mother’s Day =-.

I never seen this movie, but looking at the pictures I want to see it now!!. It’s raining here, it looks like the perfect movie for a day like today. 😉
    .-= Cotty´s last blog ..Hoy fue El Dia… =-.

19. Lacy says

I love the little girls bed. So gorgeous. Thanks for sharing. I love that show!

20. Cori Heffernan says

I have to rent this movie again. Sandra Bullock and Harry Connick Jr. (sigh). The background and the foreground are perfect in this movie! Sandra’s new baby is sooo cute. All the best to her.

21. Lisa says

How about “The Lake House”…now that’s a special house and a totally underated movie! Love it.

I think my favorite Sandra Bullock “house movie” would have to be Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, though this one is pretty awesome. I just love Southern houses. :)
    .-= Lauren´s last blog ..In Our Thoughts =-.

I really didn’t like the movie at all(sorry Sandra) but I love that house. What a gorgeous porch. I love the houses in divine secrets and while you were sleeping.
    .-= desiree´s last blog ..Smackdown! Lookiloos Style =-.

I always so loved loved loved this movie. I always say I am a country mouse living in the city, and when I imagine my dream country town this movie comes to mind. The soundtrack was so good too! Do you remember it?
    .-= Bailey@peppermintbliss´s last blog ..Clifford’s New Spectacles =-.

Oh my word, little Bernice is Amber?? That just blew my mind.
    I love Hope Floats, and this house is magnificent. It is so great to see these photos and all the details, I never really took enough notice of it during the movie. I confess, I was way too distracted by Harry Connick Jr.
    .-= hip hip gin gin´s last blog ..Calling Cards =-.

Just a note that I thought you would find amusing. Last night my hubby and I watched “It’s Complicated.” A home you have featured on your Blog. All he could say through the whole movie is”I love this house”, “Boy could I live there.” He then went on to say” This kitchen is amazing.” and the garden scene sent him over the top. So fun to have my Hubby be my best girl friend and love these homes as much as I do. Sue

27. Claire says

I’m on to you, Julia…! I’m sure you wanted me to be enjoying the beautiful front door, or maybe even that crazy lampshade, but all I see in the pic of Justin (after the one of him and Travis) is his butt. Oh no, don’t you dare say you didn’t even notice!

(and thanks for it, it’s a great picture!!!)

I’ve always liked that movie and that house. Unfortunately, whenever it comes on TV, I usually turn it off. This is because my husband call the movie #$%* Floats and makes fun of it so much that you can’t watch it. Men!
    .-= Nichole´s last blog ..My Stairway Got Hit With The Ugly Stick! =-.

29. Ann says

I loved the Lake House. Wouldn’t it be cool to live in a house like that?? I like her movie Premonition, but I don’t remember much about the house.

It’s been ages since i saw thsi movie but I do rememer loving this stately house and it was fun seeing photos of it. I hope Sandra’s days will be full of love and joy with her new baby.

31. Nita says

Harry Connick lives in NO too. I think she’s flipping out a bit. Her family is in Texas where she has always lived, and simply wants to live in NO because her kid was born there? Kinda weird thinking, I think. NO is still not a safe city to be in. The kid doesn’t know he was born there, he’d do fine in Texas. It’s so discomforting moving to a place you don’t know.

This reminds me of a lot of the homes in my area. There are a lot of huge, historical homes on the main street, and I enjoy the old staircases and some of the wallpaper. This home looks like a comfy place.
    .-= Josanne´s last blog ..A Peculiar Twitch =-.

I loved that movie when it came out–the soundtrack too. Sigh. Thanks for this fun post. The set designers did a great job. This house looks so real & lived in.
    I wish Harry & Sandra would do another movie together. They were really great!
    .-= melissa´s last blog ..My Off Time =-.

34. jodi from new jersey says

Thank you so much Julia. What a sweet movie! I remember watching it and thinking what a cozy, safe place to go home to. Only in the movies is a childhood bedroom kept intact. I love, love the front door. Gena Rowlands is so beautiful as her Mom. I have such a crush on Harry Connick, too. He’s got it all for sure, sometimes I forget he can sing and he seems like a great Dad in ” real life”. What a treat. Have you ever seen the movie ” Once Around” ? It’s one of my faves. Gena Rowlands is in it and Danny Aiello and Richard Dreyfus, Holly Hunter, too. The house is pretty, the story is better. I hope you have a happy day…………….

35. Crusty Crone says

Oh, I haven’t thought of this movie in a long time. Loved it, loved the house.

I couldn’t help but note the similarities between the movie and current real life. Birdee was publicly humiliated because of her husband in the movie and now its happened in real life to Bullock.

Sometimes life gifts us with something we don’t deserve and we screw it up. I guess Jesse couldn’t change his spots. Too bad.

Love this house. Love Sandra Bullock. There is this movie with her and Keanu Reeves where they fall in love over time…I think it’s called The Lake House…or something like that. It’s an interesting house! I must add that I would go bonkers if I didn’t have the front door centered!

~angela @ peonypatch
    .-= Angela´s last blog ..More Pictures =-.

Wow you know what is crazy?! I hadn’t seen this movie in ages and I just put it in the DVD player of my computer few days ago to watch it, and then this post came up right at the same time! I love the house, and the movie – it always makes me cry, multiple times. Thanks for doing a post on this house. Kinda makes me want to move to a small town in Texas…Love it!
    .-= Kate (Little Beach Bum)´s last blog ..Some Monday Humor =-.

38. Vicki says

I love Sandra Bullock. I would love to see the houses (cabin and the Walker’s main house) from The Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood.

No kidding, Sandra has really been on set with some awesome movie houses. If that had been me, they’d have totally caught me “making home” in plenty of them (actually…and sadly… all of them).

I love the staircase…thinking of a TV show that had something similar -man, can’t remember which (was it Happy Days that had that same staircase layout???)….anyhoo, not related, I love how the posts on the bannister have that chunky stained portion up top and then painted the rest of the way down. And who doesn’t want, scratch that, NEED a stuffed mouse reading a storybook rested on top of one?

P.S. One of my fave all-time movies.
    P.P.S. The skunk part…I wanted to name my daughter Bernice after that.
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..First Hydrangea of the Season =-.

as usual i loved the post and the house! sandra is one of my favs. this house and the Lake House are my 2 top picks :)

41. pamgalloway says

After reading Katie’s comments about the mouse and the storybook…now I’m wondering…where do you think that mouse is now? Kinda’ made me want to go eBaying for movie props and set pieces! LOL!

42. Kelley says

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love this movie. I have wanted to see more of it, especially the front view ever since I saw the movie. I also Liked Justin’s house from the movie.

43. jodi from new jersey says

Hi again Julia. Lovin everything as usual. I just treated myself to Paula Deen’s book called ” Savannah Style.” I don’t know if you enjoy decorating books. I have a collection. The gardens and porches are gorgeous in the South. She’s so down to earth and funny,now she’s got a furniture line! Anyway , thanks and take care……… Jodi

Other Goldie Hawn movies: The Housesitter (Concord, MA.?) and Private Benjamen (English or French?).

I don’t if someone has already said this or not, but the houses from The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (yet another Sandra Bullock movie w/ great houses!) would be neat to see, particularly the lake house where Sandra’s character stays for most of the movie, and her parents’ big white house, which is basically my dream house! I love your blog; thanks for all of the work you put into it! =)

46. NTexas says

There is also another house in Smithville where Brad Pitt starred in The Tree of Life – not far from this one. Smithville is a cozy, sweet community full of friendlies!